Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I really want to get into it too. My problem with it, from a high level, is adoption; it's all well and good to get things running using the technology, but once we get there and start growing we'll need to hire people that are familiar with it. I can only imagine that that's a nightmare as it stands. I've never seen a resume with DSC on it.

I'd be hardpressed to sell something like DSC to leadership over one of the other configuration/automation suites.
you're already running it and you don't have to pay for it. slam dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone gone through their company's Blind?

Oh boy...

It's mostly bitching about indian poop habits, bitching about ludicrous pay not being ludicrous enough, perpetual layoff rumors, and peace out posts.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sickening posted:

The employees are going to be notified of the suspicious behavior today. We are going to let them know that if they would like their profiles exported and systems re-imaged that its available and ready. The mdt deployment with profile extraction is tested and working and only takes laptops about 25 minutes on average.

How did this go? I can see this starting a loving IT riot

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's mostly bitching about indian poop habits, bitching about ludicrous pay not being ludicrous enough, perpetual layoff rumors, and peace out posts.

You work for MSFT?

BaconBucket
May 31, 2011
Can I ask for some advice and your experiences about leaving a full time role after a short period of time?

I'm currently in a management role in a small consultancy and have been in the role for only 10 months. Due to the low pay and long unpaid hours it hasn't worked out so I'm looking for other options but I've never left a company after a short period like this with my average stint generally being at least 3 years. Any words of advice on how I can leave without burning all my bridges?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaconBucket posted:

Can I ask for some advice and your experiences about leaving a full time role after a short period of time?

I'm currently in a management role in a small consultancy and have been in the role for only 10 months. Due to the low pay and long unpaid hours it hasn't worked out so I'm looking for other options but I've never left a company after a short period like this with my average stint generally being at least 3 years. Any words of advice on how I can leave without burning all my bridges?

If you aren't getting paid then you aren't burning bridges saying you have taken another job. If it's not what was promised due to low hours then have a frank discussion with your manager when you turn in your notice. You can try asking ahead of time about ways to get more paid hours etc framed as career advancement.

You aren't doing this out of the goodness of your heart. You are in it to get paid.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 30, 2017

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

As the poet Young Dolph says "Rule #1: always get the money first"

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

BaconBucket posted:

As a practice director at a mid sized consulting company who gets paid okay, I say get the gently caress out. I know my rear end is. Don't even care if my next stop is a management role at this point. 'This poo poo was a mega dumpster fire' in professional terms will suit my reason for leaving just fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BaconBucket posted:

You're leaving to take an opportunity for advancement that isn't available in your current role.

BaconBucket
May 31, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

If you aren't getting paid then you aren't burning bridges saying you have taken another job. If it's not what was promised due to low hours then have a frank discussion with your manager when you turn in your notice. You can try asking ahead of time about ways to get more paid hours etc framed as career advancement.

You aren't doing this out of the goodness of your heart. You are in it to get paid.

My reluctance about leaving comes from the fact that they did give me a pay raise about 2 months ago due to my previous manager leaving but it's still peanuts for the long hours and level of stress. I understand you guys are right and I can foresee a really tense notice period. Has anyone got any tips on dealing with petulant/egotistical management during this period?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaconBucket posted:

My reluctance about leaving comes from the fact that they did give me a pay raise about 2 months ago due to my previous manager leaving but it's still peanuts for the long hours and level of stress. I understand you guys are right and I can foresee a really tense notice period. Has anyone got any tips on dealing with petulant/egotistical management during this period?

Take the high road, kill them with kindness, stop working unpaid hours, drink to excess.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I found my favorite job posting.

Qualifications / Certifications - REQUIRED
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field (4-year Degree)
Minimum 10 years Windows Server Operating System Experience
Microsoft MCP & MCSA Certifications
VMware Certifications
HP Certifications (Server and/or Storage)
Cisco CCNA or equivalent
Job Type: Full-time, Contract

Salary: $20.00 to $25.00 /hour

Required education:Bachelor's

Required experience: Computer Server & Desktop IT Support: 6 years

Required language: Excellent English

Required licenses or certifications:
WA Drivers License
Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
VMware Certifications
HPE Certifications

This is in an expensive suburb of Seattle, BTW. And no benefits.

Edit: Oh, missed this - Ability to perform 24X7 Maintenance/Support ON-Call & ON-Site services for customer contracts (monthly and weekly schedule onsite visits).

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 30, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"but you'll work 60 hours a week and overtime makes that $25 super valuable!! You'll be making more than your manager!"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Nitramster posted:

Hello Thread, let me introduce myself: My name is Nitramster and I work at Geek Squad (get your punches in now, please)

Okay a little background because I'd like some advice:
I'm 32 now and basically chose a technical skill I ended up not being happy with so I'm in a bit of a 1/3rd life crisis I suppose. I started going back to community college off and on the last few years but I'm not really sure I'm ever going to get a 4 year degree. I took a job at geek squad about 18 months ago (if you're unsure of what positions they have in-store, there's basically the guy customers talk to and the guy behind the curtain doing the "work" on the computer, and various levels of management depending on the stores size) I got hired as the front end guy because I have sales experience but about 8 months ago I moved to the back end because it pays more and I'm qualified *enough*. I basically run an automated system they use that does a lot of stuff I'm sure a real IT person knows that fixes problems with windows and runs malware scans, then if the problem still exists I do some hands on stuff. If all else fails I reset the computer.

As you can tell, like a "casual play along guitarist", I sorta know whats going on but I don't know how or why. I'm mildly interested in learning what I don't know, and for a listless person like myself I'm taking that as my queue to think about a career path in IT.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind sharing your experiences and knowledge.

1. Exactly how upward is this career? Maybe I lack foresight but it seems like you basically fix poo poo and or build poo poo and then after a decade or so you start managing the people that do that and then...?

2. What are realistic wages/salaries to expect along the way?

3. The certification megathread first post has already answered the learning part for me, but what are the paths you goons went down?

4. How long should I hold the barrel of the gun in my mouth at GeekSquad? Should I wait till I get an A+ cert? (I flipped through the book, judging by how high I felt an eyebrow rise on my face it'll take me a while)

5. Anything else I should think about?

You're roughly where I was - I started in Geek Squad in my late 20s, was there for almost 5 years - moved up to 'DCI' for about 6 months before I got a real IT job.

First thing: You do not want to be a Geek Squad supervisor, trust me. It's way too much work for one person, highly stressful, and grossly underpaid for what is expected out of you. There's also not much upwards mobility within Best Buy from there unless you are good at and want to learn more on the sales side. The most valuable thing you get out of Geek Squad is learning how to deal with users, particularly the stupid/stubborn/difficult ones. It sounds like you've already got a handle on this, so you aren't going to learn much more there. There's not enough time or resources available in the store to get actually useful tech skills beyond the basics of how to switch out hardware or repair very basic Windows problems - everything else gets shipped out, connected to AJU, or flattened/reimaged.

My store's Mobile manager (who was also in GS for a while before that) got a job at the MSP in the office next to our store, and convinced me to apply. Within a month, I had FINALLY gotten out of retail, and was making about $10k more a year as a tier 1 helpdesk drone. Since then, I moved up to Tier 2, and then over to the NOC; I really hate myself for waiting so long to find something outside of retail. There's no reason to feel like you need to get certs before leaving - Helpdesk is an entry-level job almost everywhere, if you interview well and show you know how to find answers to stuff, you should be good to go. I still don't have any certs (note: YMMV here, but there's no reason to wait before papering the town with resumes). Having some time in Geek Squad can be helpful with entry level positions - it doesn't mean much on the technical side, but a lot of people have trouble handling users, you can use a few examples of that to show your interpersonal and de-escalation skills.

I do agree with you that as far as retailers go, Best Buy isn't that bad - the health insurance and other benefits were decent, and they don't gently caress around trying to get free work out of their hourly people. But nearly anywhere else will be less stressful, provide more opportunities to learn, and pay more. The sooner you start looking, the sooner you can really launch your career.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

You work for MSFT?

Err, yes. You're in my skype friends list

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ok so I'm starting to build a devops lab with an aws node, Jenkins, ansible, bash for Windows, GitHub, all that good stuff.

Is completing a few lab projects good enough to get through the devops interview door? What should I be mindful of keeping or documenting for resume fodder? Do I just write a bunch of scripts with documentation and link my GitHub to prove experience?

Basically if you were conducting an interview for a devops role and a systems admin walks in, what can they show you to lock in the job?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

MANime in the sheets posted:

First thing: You do not want to be a Geek Squad supervisor, trust me. It's way too much work for one person, highly stressful, and grossly underpaid for what is expected out of you.

Amen.

I'll be updating my resume today. If anyone in the L.A. area wants to network, send me an email: Nitramster at gmail. I'd be happy to buy any of you a beer.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Basically if you were conducting an interview for a devops role and a systems admin walks in, what can they show you to lock in the job?

This is a question I would also love to know the answer to.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Walk to the whiteboard, and in one motion of the arm, draw a perfect circle.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ok so I'm starting to build a devops lab with an aws node, Jenkins, ansible, bash for Windows, GitHub, all that good stuff.

Is completing a few lab projects good enough to get through the devops interview door? What should I be mindful of keeping or documenting for resume fodder? Do I just write a bunch of scripts with documentation and link my GitHub to prove experience?

It all depends on on interviewer view of devops as it an mean a whole range of things to different people.

I think generally you'll want to demonstrate your ability to automate the poo poo out of your environment.

So learn how to spin up a vm, configure it, release code to it and test the deployment.
Be able to explain the tooling you used to do the above, and have some basic knowledge of the other tools you could have used.

That said the tech test of my current jobs consists of being able to ssh into a red hat box fix the listen address in httpd and enable the service.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

fluppet posted:

That said the tech test of my current jobs consists of being able to ssh into a red hat box fix the listen address in httpd and enable the service.

I can do this. Hire me.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I'm sure Vulture Culture can follow up with a much better answer, but I think one thing people want to see to distinguish a "DevOps" person from a run of the mill sysadmin is the mentality. Are you comfortable with the idea of automation and disposable instances? Or are you stuck in the mentality of individually named servers that require special care and feeding and SSH-ing into them and making one-off configuration changes?

That being said, there are plenty of little no-name companies desperate to hire "DevOps" people and would be happy with someone that has a SysAdmin background that is familiar with the basics of scripting, configuration management, and AWS/Azure. Make sure you also are familiar with Git. A familiarity with Jenkins or Teamcity and some CI concepts is going to make you even more compelling.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Err, yes. You're in my skype friends list

:lol: yes I remember now

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

From a big SaaS company that's getting bigger, I would want experience with change control, config management, monitoring, and application security. You've got the first two, but adding centralized logging and managing iptables/selinux with those tools would be a huge plus. You can also roll your own gitlab instance and do encrypted S3 backups out of the box now

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 1, 2017

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I really want to get into it too. My problem with it, from a high level, is adoption; it's all well and good to get things running using the technology, but once we get there and start growing we'll need to hire people that are familiar with it. I can only imagine that that's a nightmare as it stands. I've never seen a resume with DSC on it.

I'd be hardpressed to sell something like DSC to leadership over one of the other configuration/automation suites.

I've been looking into DSC this week a bit and my biggest problem is finding resources about it. All the stuff I've seen is "check this out, you can ensure a file exists. This is how you set up a pull server." and that's about it.

I guess this is my way of asking if anyone has good books or sites on DSC

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

myron cope posted:

I've been looking into DSC this week a bit and my biggest problem is finding resources about it. All the stuff I've seen is "check this out, you can ensure a file exists. This is how you set up a pull server." and that's about it.

I guess this is my way of asking if anyone has good books or sites on DSC

microsoftdocumentation.txt

But yeah, I don't really hear much about anyone doing anything with it, and most larger shops are already using a well established platform like chef or ansible.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Puppet has a module for using it as a framework to manage DSC settings, which seems... cute? I like the idea of leveraging DSC since it's there anyway, but I haven't wrapped my head around it.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Remember all that poo poo that I brought up that some people reacted negatively to? That's all Devops-y stuff, and it was the sort of stuff I was looking for when I was hiring people at my last job.

Big things I'd look for:

Pets VS cattle, thinking about how to design deployments to be redundant and individual instances to be not a single point of failure.

Infrastructure as code(Terraform/Ansible/Salt/Chef/Puppet in that order, I don't think chef and puppet are super compelling anymore). This also bleeds into permission models in AWS with things like IAM roles.

Familiarity with docker and some awareness of schedulers, big boy in this room is kubernetes.

AWS, it's what most people use, and it's a common point of reference for comparing to Azure/GCP

Metrics, and monitoring, nagios and some of the older monitoring tools are black marks to me here. Solar winds is trash. The new hotness is time series databases and not caring about individual nodes. If something hangs a health check will pick up the instance failing and something will re-provision it.

Centralized logging, ELK, splunk. (I prefer stackdriver but it's rarer then the other two)

Linux mainly, there are some windows Devops jobs but rarer, and mainly focused on building.

This is more Ops focused then Devops focused but most places are not looking for you to write tools, you are more of a cloud engineer then a developer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is pets vs. cattle merely a physical/virtual host or VM bring a singe point of failure?

That part of the equation but I've got a gut feeling there's more to it than that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

Is pets vs. cattle merely a physical/virtual host or VM bring a singe point of failure?

That part of the equation but I've got a gut feeling there's more to it than that.

No. It's disposable poo poo. You spin up everything in a cluster. If something breaks gently caress it. Kill it and spin up a vm. Everything is automated so it does it without you logging in. Pets you gotta help them grow up.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

jaegerx posted:

No. It's disposable poo poo. You spin up everything in a cluster. If something breaks gently caress it. Kill it and spin up a vm. Everything is automated so it does it without you logging in. Pets you gotta help them grow up.

I want to expand on this a little bit, because the very idea of cattle VMs is foreign if you're coming from an internal position at some not-technology company. If you've got stuff like maybe an on-prem installation of FileMaker and a handful of other little fish Windows things at some company with 100 salesmen/accountants/logistics people, it's basically useless to you and not relevant.

Basically everything DevOps and what Punkbob just brought up is for when you're operating an online service of some sort. E-commerce, internet advertising, social media things, something like Datadog, whatever. This is where operating big online distributed systems that are actually the focus of your company. In this case absolutely everything should cattle because you'll have a bad time if your micro-services/compute nodes are pets and are not programmatically defined. These online services are not at all comparable to the monolithic Windows server applications might you throw in your server closest.

Gross oversimplification: These micro-service applications are (should be) specifically written to be modular and stateless. You've got a message bus or publish/subscribe system of some sort and some backends that register themselves. These backends will take queries as they come, more backends means more requests can be handled. Since they're all stateless, mindless compute nodes its fine to raise and lower the number of backends according to real time use. Got a big spike of traffic every Monday morning? Sure, just make more backends to handle the load and then shoot them afterwards: only pay for what you use.

I didn't fully appreciate or get this until I actually worked at a place where DevOps was applicable. My old small fry Windows shops just had no concept of it. I thought this was something important to mention because when DevOps is yelled at internal IT Windows admins, it just doesn't make any sense to the uninitiated. At least it didn't to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes, not using devops for my solidworks license server.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

I want to expand on this a little bit, because the very idea of cattle VMs is foreign if you're coming from an internal position at some not-technology company. If you've got stuff like maybe an on-prem installation of FileMaker and a handful of other little fish Windows things at some company with 100 salesmen/accountants/logistics people, it's basically useless to you and not relevant.

Basically everything DevOps and what Punkbob just brought up is for when you're operating an online service of some sort. E-commerce, internet advertising, social media things, something like Datadog, whatever. This is where operating big online distributed systems that are actually the focus of your company. In this case absolutely everything should cattle because you'll have a bad time if your micro-services/compute nodes are pets and are not programmatically defined. These online services are not at all comparable to the monolithic Windows server applications might you throw in your server closest.

Gross oversimplification: These micro-service applications are (should be) specifically written to be modular and stateless. You've got a message bus or publish/subscribe system of some sort and some backends that register themselves. These backends will take queries as they come, more backends means more requests can be handled. Since they're all stateless, mindless compute nodes its fine to raise and lower the number of backends according to real time use. Got a big spike of traffic every Monday morning? Sure, just make more backends to handle the load and then shoot them afterwards: only pay for what you use.

I didn't fully appreciate or get this until I actually worked at a place where DevOps was applicable. My old small fry Windows shops just had no concept of it. I thought this was something important to mention because when DevOps is yelled at internal IT Windows admins, it just doesn't make any sense to the uninitiated. At least it didn't to me.

This

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

As a guy in a pretty small shop, this is so strange to me that I am grateful you expanded on it. I still don’t think I fully get it, but I understand it quite a bit more

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Methanar posted:

This should be added to the OP for sure. I'm going to use it to explain this to some of my friends in tech that think what we work on at my job is black magic.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

I'd also add that most windows admins already treat some compute resources as cattle, in particular client machines. If a client box gets a virus or a bad hard drive most places replace and reimage. It's a similar concept.

In the cattle vs pet scenario with servers there is just a super set of events that will trigger something like a rebuild, or a scaling event. Maybe the nodes drive filled or the docker container locked up. I don't care because my orchestrator recovers from that. Now if there is a systemic issue I will look at it, and often I might debug node failures if I have the time so that I can see if it's a config issue, but I don't have to. My service is up and people are happy.

Now yes if you are in a small windows shop pet vs cattle is somewhat useless to you, but infrastructure as code and config management aren't. At a high level it's the concepts introduced in AD GPOs but more explicit. I want all of my configs saved in git so that I can see a history of config changes, prevent config drift and have peer review on config changes.

This is where I also drop in my note that I only brought any of this up because some asked what to study to get a "Devops" job because it pays $$$$. I don't want to be called a cloud shill again. And to ape Cato, this is where I add that if you think that SaaS isn't coming to eat your windows shop, and it's FileMaker installs then I think you're naive.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Punkbob posted:

I'd also add that most windows admins already treat some compute resources as cattle, in particular client machines. If a client box gets a virus or a bad hard drive most places replace and reimage. It's a similar concept.

In the cattle vs pet scenario with servers there is just a super set of events that will trigger something like a rebuild, or a scaling event. Maybe the nodes drive filled or the docker container locked up. I don't care because my orchestrator recovers from that. Now if there is a systemic issue I will look at it, and often I might debug node failures if I have the time so that I can see if it's a config issue, but I don't have to. My service is up and people are happy.

Now yes if you are in a small windows shop pet vs cattle is somewhat useless to you, but infrastructure as code and config management aren't. At a high level it's the concepts introduced in AD GPOs but more explicit. I want all of my configs saved in git so that I can see a history of config changes, prevent config drift and have peer review on config changes.

This is where I also drop in my note that I only brought any of this up because some asked what to study to get a "Devops" job because it pays $$$$. I don't want to be called a cloud shill again. And to ape Cato, this is where I add that if you think that SaaS isn't coming to eat your windows shop, and it's FileMaker installs then I think you're naive.

you keep talking about config drift, which is something i have never seen anyone mention before, and no one else who does devops here talks about. Care to elaborate on that?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I guess what he means with config drift is people (more aptly named idiots) who start messing with config files and not just changing them in the central place (git) and then pushing it to all apropriate servers (if it's not already happening automatically).

This means server 1 has a different config than server 2-20 making it a unique little snowflake and troubleshooting it a major bitch.

In a cattle environment it's no biggy. Kill it and spin up a new one. In a pet environment you start womdering why something works on all but 1 server. Or even worse, why only one of your servers is working great and the rest is a pile of poo poo.

No config management/enforcement is hell.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

you keep talking about config drift, which is something i have never seen anyone mention before, and no one else who does devops here talks about. Care to elaborate on that?

Config drift is the idea that you can't keep people from making little changes and tweaks, and eventuality your puppet/chef/ansible/whatever files will be out of date and when you spin up a new vm nothing will work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Well, poo poo. I know in my puppet systems I have my systems refresh config from the central repo on a regular basis. You want to change a config, its gonna revert pretty quick, and if you need to tinker, you need to shut down the puppet agent, which will alert that something funny is going on.