Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Here is a book on that very subject.

One of my faves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Construction question: yesterday I walked by a house that was being remodeled. They'd torn off the entire second story; the house was basically a single-story box with floor joists on top of it. And they were installing new 4x14 beams around the perimeter of the second floor. It looked like they were butted up against the ends of the floor joists, and the 4x side was resting on top of the top plate for the first-floor walls. What would be the reason for putting such massive boards around the perimeter of the wall? That seems hugely excessive for any purpose I can think of. Couldn't you just rest whatever you're building on the second floor on the first floor plate directly?

The only thing I could think of is that they're planning to rip out the wall underneath the board and turn it into something non-load-bearing, in which case the 4x14s might be needed as massive header beams to transfer the second floor load. But why would they be working on the second floor first if they're planning to do that to the first floor?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Construction question: yesterday I walked by a house that was being remodeled. They'd torn off the entire second story; the house was basically a single-story box with floor joists on top of it. And they were installing new 4x14 beams around the perimeter of the second floor. It looked like they were butted up against the ends of the floor joists, and the 4x side was resting on top of the top plate for the first-floor walls. What would be the reason for putting such massive boards around the perimeter of the wall? That seems hugely excessive for any purpose I can think of. Couldn't you just rest whatever you're building on the second floor on the first floor plate directly?

The only thing I could think of is that they're planning to rip out the wall underneath the board and turn it into something non-load-bearing, in which case the 4x14s might be needed as massive header beams to transfer the second floor load. But why would they be working on the second floor first if they're planning to do that to the first floor?

Well it all started when the owner wanted to put in an infinity bathtub and started preparing for it.....

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did it look like this?

Edit: one reason is you can hang the joists off.. well.. joist hangers.. and in doing so you can more easily adjust the height of the floor without needing to cut into or build up brick or what have you.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 27, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

Did it look like this?

I'm having trouble reading angles. Are those joists toenailed to a header board bolted to a wall, or are those studs toenailed to a sole plate bolted to a foundation? Because one of those is not okay.

In either case, no, it didn't look like that. I couldn't see exactly how the boards were connected -- that would have required climbing up to the second floor. I assume they were either through-nailed into the joists or attached with some kind of bracket. But the joists should already be being supported by some other method, since the 4x14s are a later addition. I guess it's possible that they're planning to remove an interior load-bearing wall and therefore need more support at the ends of the joists...but I live in a copy of this house, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any interior load-bearing walls. Either way, why would you need a x14 beam to support a joist that's maybe x10 at most?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm having trouble reading angles. Are those joists toenailed to a header board bolted to a wall or

This one. They added joist hangers later.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Progressive JPEG posted:

What's the problem with that?

"I'll be there in a minute!"
Fap fap fap ok enough of that. Who's at the door?
"Yes I'd like 2 boxes of Do-si-dos, a box of Thin Mints and another of Samoas."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

"I'll be there in a minute!"
Fap fap fap ok enough of that. Who's at the door?
"Yes I'd like 2 boxes of Do-si-dos, a box of Thin Mints and another of Samoas."

Meh, they probably get a merit badge for that. "Voyeur" or something.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Darchangel posted:

Pretty sure you're the one who gets a merit badge for doing that in front of girl scouts. One you have to show off every time you move.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Darchangel posted:

Relevant comic from PBF:
http://pbfcomics.com/comics/boy-scouts/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am not sure what is going on here, but it looks like this room is trying to collapse into some sort of lovecraftian dimension of angles:

I am also concerned about whatever is going on between the walls and floors. I feel like maybe I need to check my graphics card.

The rest of the house is pretty unremarkable, it just seems to be whatever the hell happened on the top level.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

I am not sure what is going on here, but it looks like this room is trying to collapse into some sort of lovecraftian dimension of angles:

How did you find the home of the origami killer?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ashcans posted:

I am also concerned about whatever is going on between the walls and floors. I feel like maybe I need to check my graphics card.

The rest of the house is pretty unremarkable, it just seems to be whatever the hell happened on the top level.

1,056 sqft
5 Beds
2 Baths

...How?

It looks like you can't even get into that attic room from inside the house, instead you need to scale the stairs of doom.

Where does this side door even go? It seems to be half way between the main floor and the basement.

08/10/2016 $188,475 Sold
03/08/2016 $295,500 Sold
05/04/2005 $359,000 Sold
10/15/2003 $285,000 Sold
08/01/2003 $340,000 Sold

Oh yeah, it's definitely haunted.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where does this side door even go? It seems to be half way between the main floor and the basement.

08/10/2016 $188,475 Sold
03/08/2016 $295,500 Sold
05/04/2005 $359,000 Sold
10/15/2003 $285,000 Sold
08/01/2003 $340,000 Sold

Oh yeah, it's definitely haunted.

My guess is that door is by the landing for stairs leading to the basement, and that landing can be used like a mudroom. It's not that uncommon: I have been in a few homes where it was part of the original design.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't actually notice that side door, but the question of where it opens to is a pretty good one. I looked through the pictures again and didn't see any answers. As near as I can figure, the kitchen and open-plan dining/living room are all one side of the house behind the porch. The other side must have three rooms, somehow, unless there is rooms in the basement that aren't pictured. I'm assuming the two upstairs rooms are 'bedrooms' despite how crazy they seem.

There are only 4 bedrooms pictured, so I have to assume the 5th (and the mystery bathroom) is where the ghosts live and they couldn't photograph them.

It's tempting to go to the open house just to work out what the hell is going on there. :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I want to place money it's a house of leaves and it will start growing rooms and hallways. the longer you stay. If you go, don't forget a handful of quarters for dropping down cliffs and very strong balls of yarn.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ashcans posted:

It's tempting to go to the open house just to work out what the hell is going on there. :v:

Please do. Try not to get eaten by an eldritch horror.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ashcans posted:

You know those studies of spiders spinning webs on different drugs? Maybe that's the room where the architect decided, "Let's see what happens if I design exactly ONE part of this house while on LSD."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The many-angled room would be cool if it was competently executed.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Javid posted:

The many-angled room would be cool if it was competently executed.

That's how you get Hounds of Tindalos, dude.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

those are high quality fuses! gently caress, I mean I'd have used cheapo blades instead. Diablos are money

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

I don't think that's how you're supposed to cut the power.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now I saw it all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

those are high quality fuses! gently caress, I mean I'd have used cheapo blades instead. Diablos are money

They appear to be brand new, to boot.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
They're not fuses, they're power converters. They left the paint on the blades so the resistance would drop the voltage to the desired level.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wondering if there was a fake meter or something above that or if they just left it like that with the clear cover over it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are they painted red or are they glowing red?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ashcans posted:

The Dreams in the Glitch House

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are they painted red or are they glowing red?

Painted

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

First one, then the other.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Crappy Construction Tales: Are they painted red or are they glowing red?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Well, the rule for a room to count as living space and not storage is if there's a minimum 7' ceiling over at least 50% of the floor space. Looks like a standard attic conversion. I bet that staircase is a narrow, steep nightmare too.

Oh, and there needs to be more rails or spindles on those rails. 4" minimum spacing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

packetmantis posted:

The Dreams in the Glitch House

This didn't get near enough love.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

I'm just gunna leave this here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

loving genius. Should have done that with the walls in my house when it was being built.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

loving genius. Should have done that with the walls in my house when it was being built.

Yeah I mean who knew you could also get skeletons from the dollar store :doh:

e: I've probably posted it before here but I'll post it again because my favourite construction surprise is still the un-insulated wall with "FEELING COLD, BOUGIE?" written in big letters on the inside.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm having trouble reading angles. Are those joists toenailed to a header board bolted to a wall, or are those studs toenailed to a sole plate bolted to a foundation? Because one of those is not okay.

In either case, no, it didn't look like that. I couldn't see exactly how the boards were connected -- that would have required climbing up to the second floor. I assume they were either through-nailed into the joists or attached with some kind of bracket. But the joists should already be being supported by some other method, since the 4x14s are a later addition. I guess it's possible that they're planning to remove an interior load-bearing wall and therefore need more support at the ends of the joists...but I live in a copy of this house, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any interior load-bearing walls. Either way, why would you need a x14 beam to support a joist that's maybe x10 at most?

If they were redoing/expanding the second floor, the existing foundation was probably woefully inadequate and the beams were going to carry the new floor/walls/roof down to posts at the corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I mean who knew you could also get skeletons from the dollar store :doh:

e: I've probably posted it before here but I'll post it again because my favourite construction surprise is still the un-insulated wall with "FEELING COLD, BOUGIE?" written in big letters on the inside.

Do you have a picture?