Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wiz why can planet textures go up to 8k but galaxies can only be 4? :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

This Fallen Empire wants me to install the new OS update... My instincts say no, but my curiosity says 'yes'. I'm already stronger than they are...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ambivalent posted:

This Fallen Empire wants me to install the new OS update... My instincts say no, but my curiosity says 'yes'. I'm already stronger than they are...

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I kind of wish there was a hive mind version of the custodian AI where the Hive Mind thinks it's a god that needs to look after everyone else.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Woah, extradimensional space bastards wrecked my lovely sector :( It seems quite difficult to avoid unrest as a machine civ, too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

ewe2 posted:

Woah, extradimensional space bastards wrecked my lovely sector :( It seems quite difficult to avoid unrest as a machine civ, too.

You mean like, with new species? You are not purging enough flesh. Not nearly enough.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ambivalent posted:

Wasn't too bad me. 20% production penalty for a decade. I imagine there are a bunch of possible results and that I probably got off light. I imagine there are some good ones too?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So in the very early game the science captain I started with leveled up extremely quickly and then went to do an easy 5% anom. She was a level 5, plus change. Died under mysterious radioactive circumstances, but the ship was ok.

A few months after that space piracy was invented. Sent my fleet. It was her. Exact same name, same portrait, even similar skills. Almost lost the fleet but the pirate threat was put down.

Maybe a year later I get a notification that we're in a war, somehow the guy one arm up had obtained almost a quarter of the arm when I wasn't looking and sent fleets power twice our own. Eyes of Aquamarine, you were right and in another universe could have saved us. Obviously she faked her own death and turned to a life of crime because our fanatic pacifist regime rubbed her the wrong way.

If that could be more than just a coincidence it would be loving awesome.

Also that anom where you can either get a sum of minerals or a free mining station on a +3 energy planet kinda sucks. If you're scanning it's probably outside your territory and there's no way to bring it in before it caves in and falls apart. How did you even find it if it would have burned up in reentry in a couple months?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

That's one hell of system, 4 planets hot drat.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

This actually ended up giving me a production bonus. I don't remember how much offhand but I guess it has a random effect

My current game might be screwed, I'm barely past the 150 year mark and the 2 fallen empires who started the war in heaven are immediately on my northern and southern borders. :shepface: I joined the enforcers since I thought they were stronger than the spiritualists to the north, but I guess I was wrong. The contingency just started last time I saved, and one of the machine worlds spawned in their territory so I'm kind of hoping I can use the distraction of the machine world to quickly end the war in heaven.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 1, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mazz posted:

You mean like, with new species? You are not purging enough flesh. Not nearly enough.

No, it just seemed like the usual Paradox AI fuckyou, just more of it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ewe2 posted:

No, it just seemed like the usual Paradox AI fuckyou, just more of it.

He's saying you wont have unrest if you have no biological pops to cause unrest. Get to purging.

EDIT: Or assimilating.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo, I colonized a planet with titanic life, right? So the option came up to research them, and I picked the xenophile option, make sure there is no harm. Well it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped: They became enraged, the planet spawned 3 godzillas, and now I need to figure out how many armies I'll need to take it back. The two puny militias did nothing. No hope, it was savagery. This is gonna be interesting.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Holy poo poo, I colonized a planet with titanic life, right? So the option came up to research them, and I picked the xenophile option, make sure there is no harm. Well it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped: They became enraged, the planet spawned 3 godzillas, and now I need to figure out how many armies I'll need to take it back. The two puny militias did nothing. No hope, it was savagery. This is gonna be interesting.

The xenophile option is a 10% chance of failure too compared to the regular study option having a 30% chance of failure. Oh well, maybe next time you'll get your free 3 Godzillas on your side.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So are there any civics in this game that are hands down the best/worst? I've been mainly making my races from an RP perspective and then giving them a government that I feel would match their traits, but it would be a nice thing to know if there is anything I should just avoid. I have been gone from this game for too long :/
the ones that boost mineral and unity income are super good early on. so stacking mining guilds and slaver guilds is a solid choice. same for spiritualist ethos (for temples) and inward perfection (plus some other civic of your choice), or inward perfection and agrarian idyll.

incidentally, the science boosting species traits are a little feeble early on, since so much of your early game science income will come from crap you build research stations on (which doesn't get the species science boost...even though presumably those stations are manned by your guys).

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 1, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

As machine civ you should have zero unrest. Hell, when I took over two planets full of Nazis, I looked them up and saw purging them was the only choice I had. I could only choose between displacing, grid amalgamation and extermination. And since they were Nazis, I decided it would be funny to implement the Final Solution on them. One year later, the unrest dropped to zero.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

How do I create a vassal as a machine intelligence?

I haven't thought about this much, but experience shows me this works reasonably well, but slow:

1. Become space friends with some idiot suckers
2. "Help" them while they suicide into a much larger enemy
3. After nearly getting wiped out, there's a high chance the surviving tiny empire will inform you All Flesh is Rot (paraphrased)
4. The same message gives you the opportunity to accept them as vassals.

Done!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Uh, I need advice with this problem I think. Ok, so I have a fleet and army of terminators ready. The planet is over fortified 1320/1100. I should be able to shoot the titans from space to solve that, right? I can't. There doesn't seem to be a button that lets me bombard, only let me set the bombardment level.

The last time I got in a war I was able to blow up an enemy colony that didn't "hatch" yet just by parking in orbit. This also happened to me with pirates, and I was able to take a primitive planet on a super old game by just parking and letting it rip. Those guys did have a primitive space station, however, and I did have to blow that up first.

I don't get into wars too often, did something change? Is this because I have a spaceport on that planet? According to the game the titans own the spaceport too. Do I need to be able to blow up my own port for this to work? If I set my fleet to aggressive they will try to blow up my own station. Problem is, it's a small fleet that can't take on a station.

Also I was just kinda theorizing what if there was a mod that let you just move troops around through a stargate without actually landing them. I think it would behave in a very similar way to this stuation, but from the titans' point of view. The game also has emblems on the planet like "planet is occupied by Titanic Life." I wonder if they were an actual empire if they could start building ships and stuff. The planet has the same governor and apparently counts as owned by me. The spaceport tab says I can't build anything due to the occupation. In the actual solar system view the spaceport itself is red and has the titanic life insignia, where the planet is just red-bordered and has my insignia.

Not sure how to do this without shooting myself in the foot for potentially no reason. It's an ironman game.

e: The spaceport has no numbers where the fleet strength should be

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 1, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Uh, I need advice with this problem I think. Ok, so I have a fleet and army of terminators ready. The planet is over fortified 1320/1100. I should be able to shoot the titans from space to solve that, right? I can't. There doesn't seem to be a button that lets me bombard, only let me set the bombardment level.

The last time I got in a war I was able to blow up an enemy colony that didn't "hatch" yet just by parking in orbit. This also happened to me with pirates, and I was able to take a primitive planet on a super old game by just parking and letting it rip. Those guys did have a primitive space station, however, and I did have to blow that up first.

I don't get into wars too often, did something change? Is this because I have a spaceport on that planet? According to the game the titans own the spaceport too. Do I need to be able to blow up my own port for this to work? If I set my fleet to aggressive they will try to blow up my own station. Problem is, it's a small fleet that can't take on a station.

Also I was just kinda theorizing what if there was a mod that let you just move troops around through a stargate without actually landing them. I think it would behave in a very similar way to this stuation, but from the titans' point of view. The game also has emblems on the planet like "planet is occupied by Titanic Life." I wonder if they were an actual empire if they could start building ships and stuff. The planet has the same governor and apparently counts as owned by me. The spaceport tab says I can't build anything due to the occupation. In the actual solar system view the spaceport itself is red and has the titanic life insignia, where the planet is just red-bordered and has my insignia.

Not sure how to do this without shooting myself in the foot for potentially no reason. It's an ironman game.

e: The spaceport has no numbers where the fleet strength should be

To your problem: You need your fleet to "park" in orbit until you bombed fortification down to zero, then you can safely land your troops and retake the planet. (You bomb automatically when your fleet is in orbit of an enemy planet.) Does this solve your problem?

Nothing of this is spoiler-worthy, by the way. Why the hell did you do this? :confused:

Edit: The space port is only disabled, when you retake the planet you get control back.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So I'm enjoying this, though I just got comically buttfucked by colonising too close to a fallen civ. Oops.

Are there any guides that focus on the game as a whole, rather than just the early game? Like guides for how to pursue a tech-focused strategy, etc? Or something that explains the mechanics in some detail - for instance, the more you expand the more tech you get, but the more tech you need to advance. I get the point of the mechanic, but does it mean it's viable to play as a smallish empire without a focus on out-expanding others? Or is expansion still the main priority in this game even with the negative feedback loops, etc?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dunno maybe someone didn't get that event yet. :v:

anyway they're parked but won't actually bomb. they just hang out saying in-orbit and no orders. The spaceport claims both the fleet and the army transports are in-orbit.

It doesn't matter because I just landed the troops and we crushed them. I've used one single titan before and wrecked poo poo but this time they just crumbled under the machine onslaught.

I guess the question is, what should I do with this hell army of war machines. I set this game to be random and I've only seen one other empire way down the arm so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

anyway they're parked but won't actually bomb. they just hang out saying in-orbit and no orders. The spaceport claims both the fleet and the army transports are in-orbit.

It doesn't matter because I just landed the troops and we crushed them. I've used one single titan before and wrecked poo poo but this time they just crumbled under the machine onslaught.

I guess the question is, what should I do with this hell army of war machines. I set this game to be random and I've only seen one other empire way down the arm so far.

This is kind of an issue with events that spawn dudes on your planets, because you don't technically lose the planet, generally? There's another event that had similar problems.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Libluini posted:

As machine civ you should have zero unrest. Hell, when I took over two planets full of Nazis, I looked them up and saw purging them was the only choice I had. I could only choose between displacing, grid amalgamation and extermination. And since they were Nazis, I decided it would be funny to implement the Final Solution on them. One year later, the unrest dropped to zero.

Hey, #notallmachines ok jeez.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:thunk:

I mean I don't disagree but I'm not sure it counts as a level 4 anomaly guys.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Some dick is sending out single corvettes to harass my science ships. Dunno what bullshit planet woke up to spaceflight and decided to be a prick about it, but I think I might have found a use for this army. The master's teachings will serve well. Weird thing is this corvette counts as a "codeword" alien, but the ability to translate their language and establish communications is not there, there's no project.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

I think the creatures spawned by this event don't actually benefit from fortifications, or at least they're not supposed to. After all, it would be quite difficult for something a hundred metres tall to hide in an underground bunker designed for humans.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I decided to be a smart guy and I cranked the crisis difficulty up to 2x. Boy howdy, I was not prepared.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, end game crises are serious poo poo now.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
After I was more or less set as the king poo poo of galaxy, I checked rest of the crisis events by launching them via console. Gotta say that the Prethoryn Scrouge seems by far the hardest. They just expand so drat fast and their starting fleet setup is kinda nasty too.

Unbidden nearly took a big poop on me because I got a bit lazy. I went and attacked their portal without cleaning up their fleets first, so they jumped in all their stuff to defend it :v: I cleared their main defense fleet and then FIVE 130-140kish fleets jumped in. That ascension perk for +50% crisis mob damage sure paid itself off.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 1, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I pretty much always take Galactic Defender/Contender they are way to useful to skip.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1153460015

Mod of the loving year right here goons.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are battleships worth building now or is the fleet meta still the same in that respect?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I know it's one governor for all the core worlds now, but there can be advantages to having sectors with different governors ... like right now I have +++ science on cores, but one that makes ship-building cheaper and faster on a sector.

The "respect tile resources" setting didn't seem to work ... so many resources replaced with useless food.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

teethgrinder posted:

I know it's one governor for all the core worlds now, but there can be advantages to having sectors with different governors ... like right now I have +++ science on cores, but one that makes ship-building cheaper and faster on a sector.

The "respect tile resources" setting didn't seem to work ... so many resources replaced with useless food.

Yeah that is true, being able to specialize sectors like that can still be useful.

I think with respect tile resources that it does somewhat work, but the AI vastly overprioritizes food and will ignore your directives to ensure nobody starves. Which would be fine if you were on like 30 food with -4 per month, but it acts the same way when you've got 5000 and a monthy surplus of 271. :shrug:

e; lol the federation that is made up of 90% of the free galaxy just declared on me. Unfortunately for them I just finished refitting all my ships to T6 Shields from the Fortress and literally two months after the war started finished research Jump Drives from the Dimensional Horror. Once the fleet finishes this round of refits I'm going to be a goddamn nightmare for them.

Then again, maybe they realized that and figured attacking now was their last chance to actually stop me.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 1, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Edit: Interesting fact; seems that if you conquer an empire with synthetics as a machine empire, the synthetics no longer use happiness but retain their "synthetic" trait which gives +20% to all yields. They can also be robo-modded and, if you're a rogue servitor, are affected by servitor morale. This creates some very high yields because I don't think those two were ever meant to stack. You can't build more synthetics though (incidentally this makes the +20% build cost trait a free 2 points).

Bold Robot posted:

Are battleships worth building now or is the fleet meta still the same in that respect?

There are those who swear by battleship-heavy fleets that employ lots of long-range weapons to engage at max range and jump if necessary to re-engage once the distance closes, but my battle reports show that Medium plasma is still generally the workhorse in a slugging match.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 1, 2017

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I did the same 2x thing and it is rough. Then the rear end in a top hat spiritualist awakened empire declares war right as I get 2 contingency planets in my territory so I have to surrender. Between the ghost signal and the tribute I have to pay things have gone to poo poo- at least the AE is fighting in one of the contingency spawns and with any luck I can smash that one and the next. Then I plan to turtle, rebuild my fleet, and let the rest of the galaxy get eaten.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

maybe i shouldn't have talked poo poo about this federation

I'm still likely to win because I'm just jumping around blowing up all their poo poo and invading homeworlds and stuff way faster than they can respond to, but it's going to be awhile before I can take them in a stand-up-knock-down fight if I can't get them split up. Mind you last war had a similar opening and I ended up winning that so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So what's the current situation with ethos and factions? When I got utopia I was really turned off at the faction system as factions demands were often opposed to other ethos faction's demands that were not the opposed ethos. For instance egalitarians want citizenship rights and free movement for all, which means it's very difficult to pair xenophobe and egalitarian together even though they are not opposites on the ethos wheel. It felt like factions were demanding things or upset at things that weren't exactly within the wheelhouse of the associated ethos. What also drove me nuts is that ethos shifting seemed totally impenetrable to figure out or see if you are having any effect. The tool tip would though tell you exactly why certain ethos were more attractive given the situation in your empire, but that seems gone now. Also previously supporting or suppressing a faction didn't seem to do anything even in the long run. It was such a very subtle and long term and hidden set of systems I got V2 flashbacks of "oh god is anything I do effecting anything or is the system just doing its own thing regardless of my input??"

For instance in my current game I'm fanatic materialist and egalitarian, I'd expect about 2/3 of the population to be materialist and 1/3 egalitarian. But quickly a xenophile faction formed and instantly eclipsed the egalitarian faction for support and numbers. My pops are conformist, I have the ministry of benevolence, I'd run reeducation camps on planets that had a lot of xenophiles. I'd make sure egalitarian leaders won elections, I'd support the faction. My empire is only a handfull of planets as I'm going "tall" and I had the harmony tree finished. I couldn't have had a more conformist state-ethos attracting empire unless I was spiritualist on top of it all yet I could never get xenophile support reduced. I have 1 alien pop in my entire empire (he came as a refugee even though I have it set to nope) and that's when my faction breakdown went from about 120 materialist and 50 egalitarian pops to now about 100 materialist, 30 egalitarian, and 40 xenophile pops.

I just want an egalitarian materialist paradise with a slight hint of xenophobia and isolationism.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bold Robot posted:

Maybe I'm just dead wrong, but in this patch and the last time I played (1.3?) Battleships are just the core. I had no idea that they were apparently worse. Feels like they benefit the most from the stackable % bonuses and the long range weaponry. I can fight against similarly sized fleets with a Cautious Admiral and they are at 60-70% strength before they properly engage. If I build any other ship types, they just fly in and get destroyed. With only Battleships I often don't even lose a single one in nearly equal fights sometimes. Part of it is that the AI will retreat if you've done enough damage, and since they send in so many Corvettes and Destroyers which you destroy for free, that's not too hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Jeza posted:

Maybe I'm just dead wrong, but in this patch and the last time I played (1.3?) Battleships are just the core. I had no idea that they were apparently worse. Feels like they benefit the most from the stackable % bonuses and the long range weaponry. I can fight against similarly sized fleets with a Cautious Admiral and they are at 60-70% strength before they properly engage. If I build any other ship types, they just fly in and get destroyed. With only Battleships I often don't even lose a single one in nearly equal fights sometimes. Part of it is that the AI will retreat if you've done enough damage, and since they send in so many Corvettes and Destroyers which you destroy for free, that's not too hard to do.

I'm only just getting into the game again but I seem to remember the problem here being that battleships can't hit anything smaller than a space station with their huge guns. I'd love to be wrong, though; I've always wanted to roll around with an armored fist of artillery laden battleships and crush everything at long range.

• Locked thread