Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Lmao @ what about tall players

Yeah because Riewoldt and Rance had such poo poo afternoons no impact amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Chairchucker posted:

Hawthorn fans born after 2012
Geelong fans born after 2008
North fans born after 1998

I meant since '82. It's just a nice reversal of fortune.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

North fans born after 1998
all of 3 people

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snoremac posted:

I just realized post-'82 Richmond babbies are the only babbies with a 100% GF success rate!

When was the last bulldogs losing grand final

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

snoremac posted:

Sorry you're right, the Dogs have one too.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snoremac posted:

I just realized post-'82 Richmond babbies are the only babbies with a 100% GF success rate!

The Saints have a 100% success rate since 1967 if you consider success to be crushing the hopes and dreams of Saints fans. That's like 2 generations worth of success!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Two!

Edit forgot about 61

realbez fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 1, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

When was the last bulldogs losing grand final

I think it was something like 1961; I think Hawthorns first ever GF win was the Bulldogs last appearance until last year.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know if it was mentioned in here, but when the Crows did their stare down and didn't move when the anthem was over, the boo around the MCG was extremely loud. Bit of a backfire haha

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Watching the replay, and I'm not sure how I didn't notice it at the time but

BUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALLBUBBLINGBALL

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
My god that gave me the shits

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Another thing to note that hasn't been talked about a great deal: injuries to their opponents. All of Richmond's opponents suffered significant injury concerns either during or prior to their matches.

Geelong had a crippled Selwood, lost their main tagger in Guthrie and someone else copped a bad knock. 2 man bench in the last.

No Mumford, Cameron, or Shiel at GWS, are forced to play a clearly finished Stevie J

No Smith or McGovern yesterday. Tigers meanwhile get a full and settled list all year.

Nothing wrong with luck in finals, you need it to win flags IMO. But the Tigers had a cherry ripe run.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 1, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

So now it's back to 7-8. poo poo ebbs and flows. The only other current stadium with a capacity even close to the MCG's is, ugh, Stadium Australia, which is a hole and might get demolished or at least significantly reconfigured in the next decade. (Also, the first game on my list was of course Waverley which could house 80,000 but of course that's gone now, replaced by Docklands as a major venue.)

Given the screeching for tickets, there is really only one option in the country at this stage. In 20 years time? If Perth's new stadium gets stretched out to 80,000? It's possible.

I think that's a fairly good look at it, but I also notice from the stats that the good teams that have usually made at least the finals almost always win at home and win significant amounts away and they have done so for quite a few years. Compare the top teams in the last 10 years to the lower teams and it really stands out. You can't win in this game unless doing that or it's a really freaky occurrence when a team does.

So I would discount a lot of what fans think of as HGA. What is it about those teams that do well that overcomes such apparent obstacles? Managing travel and familiarity surely must be baseline coaching attributes in the modern game as much as injuries and attitude. No one is going to agree about umpiring, but could it be the umpires familiarity with the ground more than the teams perhaps? Or do the teams attitude at home actually count for more than away, affected by such things as supporters (because I've seen that trotted out in this thread as an excuse), and recovery as well as the above reasons?

Questions like that get me annoyed about the lack of good stats that might shed light on them.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Freo got 2 games at the G this year, and it's coming out of a season of 4 wins the year before. But you also look at the Bulldogs and Saints, also only two games at the G in 2017, both with far greater prospects of playing finals. And then you have North with only 1.

With the AFL taking control of Etihad, does it give them far more scope to spread games at the G around more evenly? And give everyone a minimum 2 games per year with an aim for 3?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

hiddenmovement posted:

Another thing to note that hasn't been talked about a great deal: injuries to their opponents. All of Richmond's opponents suffered significant injury concerns either during or prior to their matches.

Geelong had a crippled Selwood, lost their main tagger in Guthrie and someone else copped a bad knock. 2 man bench in the last.

No Mumford, Cameron, or Shiel at GWS, are forced to play a clearly finished Stevie J

No Smith or McGovern yesterday. Tigers meanwhile get a full and settled list all year.

Nothing wrong with luck in finals, you need it to win flags IMO. But the Tigers had a cherry ripe run.

But this still opens a can of worms of the depth of a roster anyway, like you said luck plays into it well for Richmond on this but it's still a professional sport and if you can have a list that can win without some names out then too bad. And all the teams you mentioned still had to play each other (weakened or not) during finals anyway.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

ewe2 posted:

I think that's a fairly good look at it, but I also notice from the stats that the good teams that have usually made at least the finals almost always win at home and win significant amounts away and they have done so for quite a few years. Compare the top teams in the last 10 years to the lower teams and it really stands out. You can't win in this game unless doing that or it's a really freaky occurrence when a team does.

So I would discount a lot of what fans think of as HGA. What is it about those teams that do well that overcomes such apparent obstacles? Managing travel and familiarity surely must be baseline coaching attributes in the modern game as much as injuries and attitude. No one is going to agree about umpiring, but could it be the umpires familiarity with the ground more than the teams perhaps? Or do the teams attitude at home actually count for more than away, affected by such things as supporters (because I've seen that trotted out in this thread as an excuse), and recovery as well as the above reasons?

Questions like that get me annoyed about the lack of good stats that might shed light on them.
Well, I was going to mention more about the umpires but there's been a study or two that suggests that crowds do influence umpires to a degree, not just in AFL but in other sports.

I've dug out my magical number machine again and there is a lot of noise in the numbers, but what I do know that very rarely do clubs have a season where they do better interstate than at home against interstate teams.

Anyway, for people who want a decent player rating system that's a bit more open-source than whatever the AFL's player ratings system works on, the Hurling People Now people have come up with something really interesting in PAV. (which I guess they'll be applying a bit during draft period.)

https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/introducing-player-approximate-value-pav/

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Hume, this might be a stupid question, but is there a significant difference in home ground advantage when you only compare the teams that made finals when they played other teams that made finals?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

hiddenmovement posted:

Just let him vent hes had a bad weekend

Might be the demons supporter in me but when your side chokes a big game then vent about how poo poo they were rather than ranting about organisational conspiracies that cost Our Brave Boys their shot at glory

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Port Adelaide ruckman Paddy Ryder has been charged with assault and hindering police during an alleged incident outside an Adelaide nightclub in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Ryder, 29, was arrested by police, who allege he assaulted officers and hindered them making an arrest. They described the alleged incident as happening during "a disturbance involving a group of men at a licensed premises in Hindley Street, Adelaide".

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

*sucks air through teeth*

https://instagram.com/p/BZnZA5tBsB5/

Harley Bennell

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

Might be the demons supporter in me but when your side chokes a big game then vent about how poo poo they were rather than ranting about organisational conspiracies that cost Our Brave Boys their shot at glory

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the AFL bent over backwards to ensure that the Tigers received every single advantage the AFL could possibly control from week 1 until the final siren on Saturday. The AFL are the masters of identifying the outcome they desire and then using their systems to work backwards, the MRP is a perfect scale model.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the AFL bent over backwards to ensure that the Tigers received every single advantage the AFL could possibly control from week 1 until the final siren on Saturday. The AFL are the masters of identifying the outcome they desire and then using their systems to work backwards, the MRP is a perfect scale model.

yeah but the crows were poo poo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Stop it

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

NTRabbit posted:

You loving lost to Richmond of all people. RICHMOND. Deal.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

Port Adelaide ruckman Paddy Ryder has been charged with assault and hindering police during an alleged incident outside an Adelaide nightclub in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Ryder, 29, was arrested by police, who allege he assaulted officers and hindered them making an arrest. They described the alleged incident as happening during "a disturbance involving a group of men at a licensed premises in Hindley Street, Adelaide".

Well that's not a good start to the off-season for Port. I bet Kochie will have something great to say about this.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Adelaide got smashed by Richmond to be more precise. Blame the umpires all you want but it doesn't change the fact that I can name the Adelaide players who had a good match on one hand.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I wanted Richmond to lose as much as anyone. Its the worst. And yeah, ok in a perfect world the game would have been in Adelaide and yeah Richmond got a bit of the rub of the umpires. But to deny that the Crows didn't turn up and play like absolute piss is foolish. Richmond were the better team, no conspiracy.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spedman posted:

*sucks air through teeth*

https://instagram.com/p/BZnZA5tBsB5/

Harley Bennell

I don't see the issue here, he's not doing blow off a hookers tits so I'm marking it in the win column for Freo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

I don't see the issue here, he's not doing blow off a hookers tits so I'm marking it in the win column for Freo

Don’t get me wrong, he’s just having a nice holiday in the off season, it’s just that full back tattoo of the Perth skyline is just mind boggling

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Adelaide are saving the flag for when Smith, McGovern and Gibbs can enjoy it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope we still have Charlie Cameron when we win the flag next year.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NTRabbit posted:

If there were any teams that the AFL want to win the Grand Final, it is either the Swans or Giants, not some team from South Australia

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I really think they would prefer Brisbane were competitive again over the Swans.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

I really think they would prefer Brisbane were competitive again over the Swans.

Brisbane and GC, and there's also a huge commercial advantage to success for certain old large VFL clubs who have been nowhere near it for a while, ie Richmond, Essendon, Carlton

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jake Lever 2018 norm smith medallist

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Brisbane and GC, and there's also a huge commercial advantage to success for certain old large VFL clubs who have been nowhere near it for a while, ie Richmond, Essendon, Carlton

I'd look into that if I were you, clearly Adelaide players were bribed to play like poo poo.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I think Adelaide just sucked on the day, maybe that's it?

Nah, has to be some conspiracy involving the AFL, local retailers and the state government.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I have a feeling that unless the Dogs turn things around big time next year, they're about to prove that it only matters if you don't have massive issues lingering in the background.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Personally if you gave me today the option that Melbourne would win a grand final win in 2050, and not a second sooner, or for us to take our chances year in year out, I'd take 2050 in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Sweet, I heard the AFL also caused Swans to beat Essendon in the elimination final too FYI

• Locked thread