Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo Bloodborne is the only Souls game that got player stats totally right. The rest of them either have a stat that is completely useless (Resistance), a dump stat only for really niche builds (Luck), or decisions that make no sense and hurt the game by forcing you to pay a soul tax to play normally (Adaptability and splitting up Endurance into two stats). Bloodborne went the opposite direction and simplified it down as much as possible, which I really appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I just feel like the base game has so little variety gating options behind stats is actually kinda pointless, especially when two of your combat stats won't be of any use unless you already know the game and how they work (Arcane is totally useless until three bosses in when you find the first elemental damage gem if you know where to go, Bloodtinge is a gimmick build). It would've worked perfectly fine if your damage dealing capability was entirely built on committing to weapon upgrades and bloodgems. The stats feel like flavour to keep the game familiar to fans of From games rather than an integral core part of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you remove leveling, the game's balance would go right out the window. Enemies would have to do pitiful amounts of damage from start to finish if the player couldn't level up their health, or else stuff would start killing you in one hit real fast. Buffing runes to augment your character in higher amounts so that they matter more could change that, but there's a reason everyone wears the Cling Ring in Demon's Souls no matter what.

But even if you do keep raising your health and endurance in, the combat difficulty curve would be completely flat. Making damage output the only thing that matters would require the game to gate upgrade materials even further than it already does, which would cap the maximum damage you can output at any given time. There would be no way to get ahead of enemies but tons of ways to fall behind, and there are already enough of those with the current system. Enemies would end up having hundreds and hundreds more health than you do, but it wouldn't matter because you'd still be killing each other in about the same number of hits as you were in the first area.

The benefit of having stats to specialize in is that they allow you to make your character better than normal at specific things, which in the end puts you ahead of the enemies. That's the reason that quality builds in other Souls games end up suffering- You're trading specialization for being a jack of all trades, which makes you less effective overall but gives you more options. Bloodborne supports the 'quality build' playstyle really well because there aren't many stats in the first place, and you have more than enough time to pick something before stat scaling starts really mattering.

Also, Arcane and Bloodtinge make for very useful utility stats even on characters that aren't specializing in them. Augur of Ebrietas is one of the most useful tools and it's got I think like 15 for its requirement. With how little upgrading STR/DEX matters until the later game when your weapons start benefiting, putting some points into them while it's still cheap will unlock the usage of a bunch of spells/guns very early on that deal a ton of damage. Even the basic pistol turns into a handheld howitzer with just a few upgrades and some points invested.

edit: And this whole conversation would be null and void if Bloodborne had a way to re-spec, but it doesn't for some reason.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 1, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd rather them remove weapon upgrading than touch the leveling system.

All weapon upgrading does is disincentivize you from using all the new cool weapons you find.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 1, 2017

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I couldn't sleep so now I'm playing tekken 4 and persona 5 at the same time while posting

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

I'd rather them remove weapon upgrading than touch the leveling system.

All weapon upgrading does is disincentive you from using all the new cool weapons you find.

I would agree with that. Bloodborne is very stingy with its upgrade mats, especially chunks, and that really sucks because some of the late game weapons are imo the best ones.

edit:

https://twitter.com/SeniorPacman/status/875473436738437120

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/874892963540865024

happy october

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 1, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Obviously, removing leveling would mean the game would have to be balanced around weapon upgrades rather than your steady increasing health pool and defense. What it would get rid of that bothers me is the crippling lack of variety that plagues the base game. When you commit to a build you lock yourself into at best three weapon options of which the starting weapon is usually the most versatile. Similarly if you commit to something like arcane you have exactly one purely magic-based offensive tool for the vast majority of the game. Adding respeccing would alleviate this as well but somehow it's another weird backstep they took with QOL mechanics. But it just really feels like they wanted to lean very heavily on the action side of action RPG which makes me think it wouldn't have been a bad idea to fully commit to that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My favorite bloodborne weapon is the scythe :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my first spooky game of october ended up being monster party, via 3dnes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CommissarMega posted:

YESSS

Will it be in English? Or at least have English subs?

It's the western release so yes but it's an action RPG not a proper Nep game. Still, it looks better than the other two action games but that's a bar so low it's underground.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm playing a truly Spooktober Frightfest of a game: Kirby's Adventure.
This is my first foray into Kirby games, can't believe they've eluded me for so long. Tryna go chronologically so I tore through Dreamland before this. The biggest surprise, next to how well made both of these games are, was that Dreamland didn't even have the copy ability.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FauxLeather posted:

This is my first foray into Kirby games, can't believe they've eluded me for so long. Tryna go chronologically so I tore through Dreamland before this. The biggest surprise, next to how well made both of these games are, was that Dreamland didn't even have the copy ability.

I've generally always enjoyed a given Kirby game as they've come out over the years, but I don't think anything has ever matched Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star. I hope you enjoy both! Kirby's Dream Course is an underrated one as well, though obviously not what you would call a typical Kirby game.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Guys I think this thread is haunted

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If I was a mod I'd use that power in this thread to randomly add boos to people's posts

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Get your laughs in now, because sooner or later the custom content in BOTW will go too far and everyone will feel awkward.

Just like how people loved custom amiibo. "There's no such thing as a bad custom amiibo!" They all said that.

And then :nws: someone went ahead and made the Worst Amiibo. :nws:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

FauxLeather posted:

You're in for a treat, Kirby is one of the most consistent franchises Nintendo has. There's like two bad games in the whole lot and even those are just okay and not outright terrible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow Assassin's Creed comes out the same loving day as Wolfenstein and Mario? This is practically assisted suicide

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Doesn't that series always sell well though

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

wow Assassin's Creed comes out the same loving day as Wolfenstein and Mario? This is practically assisted suicide

You're right. Mario doesn't stand a chance. :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You're right. Mario doesn't stand a chance. :v:

it's actually probably worse that Shadow of War comes out the same month as an AC game, now that I think about it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

It's a loaded day but all the games are different enough and appeal to different enough audiences that they all have a chance of doing fine.

Depressingly AC will probably do better than Wolfenstein

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

it's actually probably worse that Shadow of War comes out the same month as an AC game, now that I think about it

SoM is coming out the same day as Neptunia, it's like WB doesn't want it to sell at all

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I binge watched that tv show Channel Zero Candle Cove (based on the creepypasta story by the chainsaw suit guy, Kris Straub) and...

Well, to be blunt, I didn't like it. It felt like they had maybe 2 episodes worth of content that they dragged out over 6 episodes and a lot of just really bleh stuff going on. Like, they say random =/= funny but I also stand by that random =/= scary and boy oh boy does that show just absolutely love having out-of-nowhere flashbacks and dream sequences and hallucinations, along with just lots of random stuff that I feel really didn't need to be there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
lets see, getting wolfenstein 2, so much for the tolerent left, assassins creed origins(this time with witcher rpg/quests and souls light combat) and shadow of war. would get mario but dont have a switch. may get elex if the reviews are passable, need some eurojank.

right now, playing ruiner which is fun as gently caress but also hard as gently caress at times, and doing my yearly horror game crawl with dead space 1.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it's cool that the new Assassin's Creed is going to have a history mode and revamped questing but I'm baffled as to why they keep propping up generic steely dudes as their mainline protagonists. If the main character was a chick w/ a bow I'd definitely play it, same for Mordor game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's a loaded day but all the games are different enough and appeal to different enough audiences that they all have a chance of doing fine.

Depressingly AC will probably do better than Wolfenstein

both look genuinly good and piss off the alt right. Wolfenstein will sell a ton on pc and digital probably because new order was amazing and well loved and people really want to hurt nazis right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's cool that the new Assassin's Creed is going to have a history mode and revamped questing but I'm baffled as to why they keep propping up generic steely dudes as their mainline protagonists. If the main character was a chick w/ a bow I'd definitely play it, same for Mordor game.

the main characters wife is also playable in the new assassins creed (as well as other people apperently) i like bayek, he doesn't seem broody to me. talion i cant really blame, because is just a meat puppet for a dickhead ghost.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

both look genuinly good and piss off the alt right. Wolfenstein will sell a ton on pc and digital probably because new order was amazing and well loved and people really want to hurt nazis right now.

While New Order was well loved I think it also didn't think it did huge numbers, at least not AC/Mario numbers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the main characters wife is also playable in the new assassins creed (as well as other people apperently) i like bayek, he doesn't seem broody to me. talion i cant really blame, because is just a meat puppet for a dickhead ghost.

For the entire game or just like Syndicate where you go halfsies?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

For the entire game or just like Syndicate where you go halfsies?

probably halfsies(maybe) again. i am honest surprised they havent made a female assassin(full game) outside aveline. Ubisoft is pretty progressive socially and unlike some companies, they usually do it really well. hopefully they do it in the next one.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FauxLeather posted:

I'm still impressed by how dang good looking Kirby's Adventure is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chicks with daggers are pretty cool, I'd rank them below longbows + magic missile but above guns and crossbows.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cuphead good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd like to see them make an assassin's creed adaptation of gangs of new york. I think that'd be pretty cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

imo Bloodborne is the only Souls game that got player stats totally right. The rest of them either have a stat that is completely useless (Resistance), a dump stat only for really niche builds (Luck), or decisions that make no sense and hurt the game by forcing you to pay a soul tax to play normally (Adaptability and splitting up Endurance into two stats). Bloodborne went the opposite direction and simplified it down as much as possible, which I really appreciate.

Luck as a stat in RPGs needs to be shown the door and told never to come back

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Chicks with daggers are pretty cool, I'd rank them below longbows + magic missile but above guns and crossbows.

What about one that uses daggers for melee but bows for ranged?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Luck as a stat in RPGs needs to be shown the door and told never to come back

Luck is awesome because you never know what it will do

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

What about one that uses daggers for melee but bows for ranged?

Any short-bladed weapon is ideal for melee because it allows for more sick-nasty ladydeath one-liners before you stab them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd like to see them make an assassin's creed adaptation of gangs of new york. I think that'd be pretty cool.

Boss Tweed is a Templar but he's depicted in the style of an old-timey Political Cartoon and he fights like Mad Pierrot from Cowboy Bebop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Neptunia is to JRPGs as Knack is to PlayStation games

• Locked thread