Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Does that phrase really work if he keeps sharing his photos with us?

He's plucking the most amusingly absurd bits of the abyss to share with us, while shielding us from the dangerously not funny matrix surrounding them, like a miner digging gemstones from radioactive waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LunarShadow posted:

Nah, even if I didn't know it was a gimmick at first, ironically parroting this poo poo is still lovely. So again, gargle some buckshot.

It's not ironic this is literally a thread where you are supposed to post your favorite that poo poo so we can mock it, without him it basically would just be us talking about Rev and maybe occasionally moldbug when he does something stupid :shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
LoB can gently caress off IMHO

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Baby tier post.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, pretty much.

It's the Mother Night principle as much as anything.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, gently caress the dude posting quotes from the Dark Enlightenment in the Post Your Favourite Dark Enlightenment Quote thread

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like LoB, because anytime I start wondering, 'am I wrong?', I read one of their posts and realise, 'no, no I'm not'.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Posting DE in the DE thread: good

Advising suicide in the DE thread: bad

There are many spaces which can benefit from a "no importing badness" rule, but is a "pyf badness" thread one of them?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

If we can quit bitching about TERFs for a minute, here's what Vox Day is up to:

https://freestartr.com/project/althero/

I don't know exactly how he is involved with the project but he tweeted about it. Spoiler alert: it's a terribly drawn "anti-sjw" comic book about a superheroine in a Confederate flag bikini top and Daisy Dukes.

I would laugh at this but it got funded. That isn't funny at all. Now i'm sad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't believe that lob is at all contentious.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck posted:

What are you talking about? Idiots wasting money to make something that'll be infinitely mockable is a good thing.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Regarde Aduck posted:

It getting funded actually makes it funnier. Much like Star Citizen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/bmcclendon/status/914988314784038914

Vaguely related to the "rational" dumbasses featured in this thread

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://twitter.com/bmcclendon/status/914988314784038914

You should post this in C-SPAM, there's a lot of these types there.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I think I heard of some astronomer several years ago examining Hubble Deep Field images for interesting anomalies and pointing out in some paper that producing the HDF images on demand would be impossible without having simulated everything that ever happened in the entire visible universeto a degree that would make calling it "simulation" bad semantics. Might have been an Ig Nobel winner.

I think this was from either this thread or the old Yud one:

Saeku posted:

On the topic of simulation hypothesis: I met a Rationalist who said he tried his best to spend his life around influencers and great men. If outsiders are simulating this world to observe it, at some point they might turn off the boring parts of the simulation to save processing power, so he wanted to be in the interesting part.

MizPiz posted:

If the observers wanted to save processing power, wouldn't they delete the people leeching off the influencers and great men first?

BioEnchanted posted:

*Alt-righter is turned off while right in the middle of a conversation with Mark Twain and Steven Hawking*
Hawking: Thank. God. Can. You. Believe. That. Guy?
Twain: I knoooooowwww, right?

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Oct 3, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ever since the very first "could we be living in a simulation?" actual science papers started coming out there was almost immediately physicists running experiments that said "no, no we're not" but that's not interesting so they mostly got ignored. Hell I even first found out that people were seriously considering it from an experiment with a null result that was trying to look for weird anomalies you'd get if spacetime were only being approximated down to very tiny scales, which set an incredibly high experimental lower limit to the resolution universe-simulating jesus would need to be running. Pretty much all real science related to this has come back consistently on the "well if it's a simulation then it's a simulation that is exactly as computationally complex as the entire universe itself, so uh..." but nope let's all keep breathlessly wanking about it because elon musk paid some scientists to jack him off.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What the hell was the pro-simulation argument supposed to be, anyway? Beyond "I want it to be true."

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

What the hell was the pro-simulation argument supposed to be, anyway? Beyond "I want it to be true."

Crudely: Assuming a sufficiently complex and powerful civilisation will create simulations of other worlds for artistic or scientific or whatever interest, there will be a lot more of those than the 'real' world, so chances are you're living in one rather than the real world.

It's interesting to think around but doesn't really stand up, however it has a certain intuitive appeal, which is enough to make a certain sort of mindset freak seriously out about it. See also: the killing star argument, the entire lesswrong memeplex version of AI risk, etc etc.

Peel has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Oct 3, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is based on the HUGE assumption that simulations of full universes with sapient inhabitants are both A) possible and B) have already been created. Both of which are assumptions on par with A) There is a higher power and B) it is the Zoroastrians specifically who are right. So straight up nerd religion.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's actually a branch of computational physics that attempts to break down the universe's mechanisms into what amounts to a massive quantum computer. It's a pretty interesting way of describing the universe, since at the subatomic level particles sort of break down into information that behaves in bizarre, quantized, computer-y ways. However one of the big points (from my understanding, please jump in and correct me if i'm wrong) is that any volume of space is in effect equivalent to (or describable as) a quantum computer. So sure you could also simulate that same space using a different quantum computer, except even in 100% ideal conditions it would require a quantum computer that contains a volume of space equal to or greater than the volume of space you're trying to simulate, because you can't physically store or compress the information any smaller than, you know, fundamental particles.

So yeah, the universe could be simulated... by a quantum computer that is equal to or bigger than the universe itself. Which I suppose could be possible since we don't really have any idea of how "big" this universe is if you look at it from outside but by that point you might as well just say god's doing it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So it's turtles all the way up?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I mean, if we're already imaging god-computers, it's not a significant step to say the computers are advanced enough to simulate a quantum-computer the size of a universe, in the same way a modern computer can run multiple simulations of windows 98.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I mean, if we're already imaging god-computers, it's not a significant step to say the computers are advanced enough to simulate a quantum-computer the size of a universe, in the same way a modern computer can run multiple simulations of windows 98.

Yeah I'm just saying that if the god-computer existed in any sort of universe that obeys similar laws of physics as this one it would need to be as big as or bigger than this universe, and at that point you might as well just, idk, create this universe itself since you probably can and it would probably be easier (and definitely more efficient).

If whatever universe houses god-computer does not obey the same laws of physics we're back to the whole "might as well just say god did it" thing

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Read the article, cause no.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
So how many of these simulation fans are self-proclaimed atheists because lol.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pr0zac posted:

Read the article, cause no.

Simulated universe theory hypothesis is dumb as hell, so I'm gonna pass on reading any articles about it.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Oct 3, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah I'm just saying that if the god-computer existed in any sort of universe that obeys similar laws of physics as this one it would need to be as big as or bigger than this universe, and at that point you might as well just, idk, create this universe itself since you probably can and it would probably be easier (and definitely more efficient).

If whatever universe houses god-computer does not obey the same laws of physics we're back to the whole "might as well just say god did it" thing

I always hear this but what if this outer universe is way more complicated than our universe. Like some 5th dimensional beings made thier own version of dwarf fortress.

Not that I believe any of this.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Laputanmachine posted:

So how many of these simulation fans are self-proclaimed atheists because lol.

Probably most of them. God substitutes breed like rabbits in the ruins of nu atheism.

All in all the simulation thing sounds like the problems that always come up when people don't get the difference between "the way the universe works" and "the laws of physics."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hihohe posted:

I always hear this but what if this outer universe is way more complicated than our universe. Like some 5th dimensional beings made thier own version of dwarf fortress.

Not that I believe any of this.

What if we're all the dream of a turtle floating through space

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Can we stop with the the arguments about whether we live in a simulation or not? It's boring and pointless.

Now let's all go home and step on our gooble boxes for the daily mandated hour to appease the volcano

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Goon Danton posted:

Probably most of them. God substitutes breed like rabbits in the ruins of nu atheism.
Back when I was hanging out in internet atheism circles, it was conventional wisdom that some people are simply "wired" to be religious/receptive to faith-based belief, while others are "wired" to be skeptical/non-religious.

I wonder if, assuming that's true to some degree, this phenomenon is just a bunch of naturally receptive people who are latching on to the next religion substitute they run into.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

pookel posted:

Back when I was hanging out in internet atheism circles, it was conventional wisdom that some people are simply "wired" to be religious/receptive to faith-based belief, while others are "wired" to be skeptical/non-religious.

I wonder if, assuming that's true to some degree, this phenomenon is just a bunch of naturally receptive people who are latching on to the next religion substitute they run into.

Basically? Yes. You see it in atheist circles all the time. They equate atheism with being smart, and they consider themselves smart so they must be atheists, but deep down they still have that part of them that wants to believe that there's something out there that counts as some kind of higher power. Maybe it's aliens, maybe it's a god AI, maybe it's whatever beings created the simulation we exist in.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

pookel posted:

Yup. There are a bunch of atheists who just have a Jesus shaped whole in their psyche. Also see how amazingly rampant the Just World Fallacy is with these folks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Goon Danton posted:

"Computer is god, therefore I am enlightened"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Goon Danton posted:

It's a requirement for many of their other beliefs. Rationalists are very strange people.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's a requirement for many of their other beliefs. Rationalists are very strange people.

Roko's Basilisk doesn't work without the possibility of AIs simulating the universe. That simultaneously shows how dumb it is and how dumb these nutheads are to freak out about it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The worst is when they really go off the narcissism deep end and hypothesise that it's not the whole universe being simulated, it's just the interesting people, ie them.

It ties in neatly with calling nonrationalists NPCs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Munin posted:

Roko's Basilisk doesn't work without the possibility of AIs simulating the universe. That simultaneously shows how dumb it is and how dumb these nutheads are to freak out about it.

It's also a requirement for Timeless Decision Theory and a bunch of other Capitalized Words that for some reason we're not allowed to call obvious psychosis manifestations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Simulation Theory feels to me a lot like the Problem of Induction - you think it through, accept the logical validity of it, then you ignore it because actually embracing it's conclusions is loving incompatible with functioning as a living human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Qwertycoatl posted:

The worst is when they really go off the narcissism deep end and hypothesise that it's not the whole universe being simulated, it's just the interesting people, ie them.

It ties in neatly with calling nonrationalists NPCs.

yeah, you haven't philosophically proven that you can't simulate someone well enough that they'll believe it's real, so therefore give all your money to MIRI