Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Shogun by a a, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

20170303-DSC_7366 by revbleech, on Flickr

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Canberra, AU
Skyfire 2017

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Went out to Big Bend National park and got some dark sky photos out there. This was a panoramic stitched together from a couple of shots taken as I was leaving the last morning.

IMG_0873_stitch by jon.martensen, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
IMG-20170103-WA0001 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Planning another trip to shoot the Perseids again this year, had really miserable results last August because I went in thinking I had a fair idea what to do and in fact did not have a goddamn clue. I'd see a meteor whizz by overhead that I was sure was in my camera's field of view.. then look at the image later and had jack poo poo.

So my questions become:

a) Is there an ISO+aperture I need to aim for to make sure I'm bringing in enough light to capture a meteor?
b) Is there an "optimal" focal length to ensure the meteors don't get lost?
c) Which direction to aim the camera to improve odds?
d) Realistically, how many exposures does it take to get a keeper? Do you need to stay out all night?

Last August I used my 10-22mm lens (mostly sat at 10mm), and as I flailed around trying to catch a meteor my settings went from ISO 100 to ISO 1600, anywhere from a 5 second exposure to 30 seconds. Camera was aimed mostly due north, sliver of horizon at the bottom of the image. Logic was this would put the radiant in the right part of the image, and they'd streak through the middle towards the left.

This seems like a situation where "what settings did you use" is actually useful information. :v:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Focal Length can be whatever. I prefer as wide as possible. Anywhere from 10-20 is fine. Wider shots will require more light though.
Aperture should be wide open unless your lens sucks wide open, then close down a half stop or so.
ISO should be as high as your camera can go without introducing noise. For me it's ~400.
Camera should be pointed toward where the trails originate from. You can wiggle this a bit for composition, but the north star isn't important.
Exposure doesn't effect star trails or meteors, but it will effect your surroundings which have ambient light. If your surroundings are dark enough use 30 seconds.

Get a wired trigger (or magic lantern), set your camera on a tripod, lock the trigger, and just let the camera do it's thing for a few hours while you enjoy the show.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
You first need to master just taking pictures of stars. You can do this on any clear night and you'll want to have it down pat by the time the shower happens. TLMS's excellent advice will get you there. In addition, I would suggest:

1) Be sure you're manually focusing on a bright star and checking with live view on the back display.
2) Check the first few exposures and adjust as necessary.
3) I usually do nighttime long exposures with the in-camera long-exposure noise reduction active, but when trying to catch something fleeting like meteors, the denoising gaps can cause you to miss good shots. Likewise with lightning. I would turn it off in this case.
4) Once you find the right field of view (i.e. actually catch a meteor), set your tripod and camera and don't move it if you plan to stack exposures or do star trails.
5) On a tripod, I turn off image stabilization.
6) If your camera has the small lever to shield the eyepiece, closing it helps keep out light leaks.
7) You should be shooting on full manual mode.

If you have the basics down, catching a meteor is just a question of having the shutter open when it flys by.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Business of Ferrets posted:

6) If your camera has the small lever to shield the eyepiece, closing it helps keep out light leaks.
Holy poo poo, that's what that is for.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
There are cameras with that built in? I've only ever used the cover on the straps.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 6, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Only the best camera has it (I've been informed this is the Nikon f3).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nikon D500 has it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

If you have the basics down, catching a meteor is just a question of having the shutter open when it flys by.

That's what I thought going into it but my results last August suggested I was doing something wrong. :v:

I was already doing mostly what's been suggested, so I appreciate the affirmation. Perhaps I just needed to spend more time out there and take more pictures.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
If you're still having issues it could be a lens speed/ISO thing, so maybe hardware limitations? I often shoot stars at 2400-3600 ISO on an f/2.8 or faster lens, with 10-30 second exposures. Maybe a meteor is too brief for low ISOs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what prompted me to ask questions, but responses and google searches indicate that ISO 400-800 should be able to get some results.

I can definitely get nice star shots (and airplanes, gently caress off airplanes) but only one or two (possible) meteors last August. Out of maybe 200 exposures? It was a bad attempt at the craft.

:iiam:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Longview, AB - 13 stacked images @ 24mm (35mm equivalent), f/2.0, ISO 1600, 15 secs

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nexxai posted:

Longview, AB - 13 stacked images @ 24mm (35mm equivalent), f/2.0, ISO 1600, 15 secs

I love the sky in this but the horizon being so off level really bugs me.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

I love the sky in this but the horizon being so off level really bugs me.

Can you show me what you mean? This was shot in the Foothills so there really isn't as much flat land to straighten on as it might seem.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nexxai posted:

Can you show me what you mean? This was shot in the Foothills so there really isn't as much flat land to straighten on as it might seem.

I'm at work for the next 10 hours so I can't take a screenshot but if you look at where the base of the mountains meets the ground and use that as a horizon line I think overall it's 4-5deg CCW rotated. Could just be me but I used the edge of another browser window to line it up and it was off to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a common problem when foothills are involved.. if there's no clearly obvious horizontal or vertical line, you gotta go with what looks right.

It does look tilted to me too, I brought it into lightroom on my phone and it was only 1.5 degrees 'off.' But it's a super small screen so take it with a grain of salt.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A spur of the moment night shot. One of the three rollercoaster trains has "headlights" so I was able to wait for that one to get the white chasers around the loops.

The Incredible Hulk by Colin Chardavoyne, on Flickr

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hi thread. Long time, no post. I've had some great opportunities lately.

I sometimes get to see the northern lights from my front yard.

I also spent the first two months living off the grid on the north coast of Belize and saw some amazing night skies.

Full moon rising:

Milky Way rising just before sunrise:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Winter nights in Australia..

Here is a moon halo:

and the Milky Way vs some big city light pollution:

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
The ocean was bioluminescent tonight. ISO 200, 24mm, F/2.8, 10s exposure.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Kiev II rangefinder on Portra 400

Kiev2-10.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Watermelon Seed being harvested under the Harvest Full Moon

by Jack Vickrey, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Iceland is cold and dark.

NightIceland by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Iceland Silhouette by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Iceland Silhouette by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The second one is fantastic.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
My 10-20mm just arrived so I shot around Kings Cross briefly on the way home.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

First time ever doing night photography of any sort, had a blast doing light painting for another photographer who was on the shoot too. We were meaning to do eclipse photos but the weather here turned horrible last minute so we had to wing it. One downside I've found with my gear (Panasonic G7) is the amount of noise from long exposures, anyone got tips on reigning that in? Any criticism and guidance is very much appreciated. Please excuse any artifacting or blotchiness, I'm currently without a monitor so these edits were done from jpeg on a phone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2018

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The noise comes from sensor heat. You can minimise it by increasing the ISO (which is the opposite of normal anti-noise advice) so as to have a shorter exposure. There'll be a sweet spot somewhere for minimal ISO noise and low sensor noise. Also the noise will get worse throughout your session if the camera is on the whole time and generating a live-view image in the EVF. Giving the camera time to cool down after a series of shots will help.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

And after waiting for the moon to set,

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Cross-posting from the film thread. Recently purchased a FUJI GW690III. It's a little finicky for long exposures (see the verticak light smears?), but a great camera!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

use a hat shutter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Good av/post combo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
These are, to my eyeball, the least out of focus sky shots I got this weekend.

Kit lens with no infinity mark makes trying to get these dialed in really fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think your focus is fine, any fuzziness looks to be star trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005