Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Speculation is that it may be a result of using Instruction Prefetching in DX12 mode (same as with DiRT 4 apparently). Both those titles are racing sims which I'm entirely un-interested in (they are like one step above watching paint dry IMO) but if AMD can deliver that level of performance across a wide variety of titles then ayyyy. If Vega 56 can smack the 1080 Ti around nobody will give a poo poo about power consumption.

(of course I wouldn't be surprised to hear that NVIDIA just hasn't optimized this title yet either)

Apparently this engine does some pretty hosed-up stuff internally, like it is super single-threaded (very little load on satellite threads) and they may even have a spinlock to try and minimize latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Quick, somebody tell that Radeon designer that he can come back from his vacation!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Can confirm, that laptop is larger than my NFC S4 Mini, attached to the back of my monitor. Like I could hook a battery pack to my 12v Pico PSU and literally have a portable unit smaller that that, but with a 1080ti.

It doesn't count if half the video card is hanging out of your case TBH.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More outlets reviewing the Marseille cable, all seem to be net positive, even if it's just only a little bit positive because of the price.

I expect Marseille to suddenly get solicited by Sony and Microsoft, now. Sticking a $5 chip in at the very end before going to HDMI outputs for AA, even if it's context-insensitive AA, without any perf impact on already-taxed GPUs?

Also, don't count out AA stacking, like they tested in the Linus video.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I expect Marseille to suddenly get solicited by Sony and Microsoft, now. Sticking a $5 chip in at the very end before going to HDMI outputs for AA, even if it's context-insensitive AA, without any perf impact on already-taxed GPUs?

I think they missed their chance, with both of the mid-cycle console upgrades being set in stone now. They'll get another shot when the PS5/XBTwo arrive but those systems will be so fast that post-AA will practically get lost in the noise.

i.e. the latest iteration of SMAA in temporal mode (which looks far better than the mCable) only takes 3% of a 30fps frame budget on a base PS4 at 1080p. The PS5 will tear through that shader like it's nothing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't really get the hype, post process AA is dirt loving cheap performance-wise. I guess it would be kind of neat for retro consoles but that's an extremely niche use case.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If only more games would actually have an smaa option. FXAA still seems to be the ubiquitous cheap AA choice

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Yes, I feel like a sucker.

Edit: realised I should have auto translate it before taking the screenshot.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 30, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Measly Twerp posted:

Yes, I feel like a sucker.

Edit: realised I should have auto translate it before taking the screenshot.

Yeah, what currency is measured in feet?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Clearly they are farthings.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

If only more games would actually have an smaa option. FXAA still seems to be the ubiquitous cheap AA choice

SweetFX/Reshade support SMAA injection, but yeah, I'd like to see more games use SMAA natively.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thats like 450 dollars (Hungarians use distance as currency) but what I dont get is "Net Price" and "Gross Price"

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

1gnoirents posted:

Thats like 450 dollars (Hungarians use distance as currency) but what I dont get is "Net Price" and "Gross Price"

VAT?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arzachel posted:

SweetFX/Reshade support SMAA injection, but yeah, I'd like to see more games use SMAA natively.

Yeah, you're only getting the basic SMAA 1x if you use an injector. SMAA T2x requires deeper integration into the renderer.

It's a shame the open source version of SMAA is a dead-end too, Crytek were happy to let the author open source his work under them but the improvements he's since done under Activision are closed source.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

repiv posted:

Yeah, you're only getting the basic SMAA 1x if you use an injector. SMAA T2x requires deeper integration into the renderer.

It's a shame the open source version of SMAA is a dead-end too, Crytek were happy to let the author open source his work under them but the improvements he's since done under Activision are closed source.

Temporal aa is fundamentally better and no manufacturer is gonna spend bom on a fixed function piece of hardware unless it's an add-on to generate margin

This thing is dumb as hell but not completely useless in that it shows that selling a graphics improved add-on to consoles has a market but guess what Sony and Microsoft know that

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's also the fact that the type of AA the chip in the cable does is really only apparent at low resolutions-- it only seems to use a few pixels to smooth things out, and i personally couldn't see much difference at the 1080p examples given over various reviews. Considering consoles are getting closer and closer to true 1080p at all times, that iteration of the chip at least is pointless for ps4.5 or whatever.

If there will be a ps1 classic or a n64 classic, then yes it would be almost a requisite, but not for future consoles.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Time for another trip to Fry's. This time: Needed some extensions on the EPS 8-pin and FP USB 3 connector.

None were in stock, but maybe prices are starting to come down?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

eames posted:

only on /r/amd

Well, fire is life.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Arzachel posted:

I don't really get the hype, post process AA is dirt loving cheap performance-wise. I guess it would be kind of neat for retro consoles but that's an extremely niche use case.

It appears to have good results at 720p too so it's not a bad option for the PS3 and xbox 360, but woof that price tag. $150 is far too much of an asking price.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Time for another trip to Fry's. This time: Needed some extensions on the EPS 8-pin and FP USB 3 connector.

None were in stock, but maybe prices are starting to come down?

The biggest fire sale in computer component history will be the 1070Ti at its launch price. I'm pretty sure the sole reason they didn't put GDDR5X on it and pumped up the FP performance to 1080 levels is squarely to ensure every single one gets sold the first second before launch to miners.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
So the next computer I'm looking to build I'd like my monitor setup to be 1920x1200 @60Hz, 1920x1080 @60Hz, and 2560x1440 @144Hz. How powerful a GPU will I need to do this? Video games and CAD are going to be my primary use.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Depends on what you want to play. I used a 680 with a 4K/60 monitor. If you want to play everything new, or even the more demanding titles of the past couple years, at least a 1080, maybe a 1080 ti if you want to never worry about ever turning down any setting (For like a year until more powerful hardware is released). I have virtually the same setup of monitors and I'm using a 1080 with no complaints, but I also don't play lots of new games.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 1, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

fermun posted:

So the next computer I'm looking to build I'd like my monitor setup to be 1920x1200 @60Hz, 1920x1080 @60Hz, and 2560x1440 @144Hz. How powerful a GPU will I need to do this? Video games and CAD are going to be my primary use.

Depends on what you want to get out of the 1440p 144z screen rather than the other two, though its not as if they arent relevant. But primarily this choice will be made on that screen. From there, figure out the most graphically demanding games you play, then look up the benchmarks for a 1080ti because thats what youre going to buy (lol).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you dont really have any options but a 1080ti. You must be somewhat value minded otherwise you would have already bought a Titan xp, the only other choice at 2560x1440 @144Hz for "gaming"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Da gently caress? When I was talking about G-Sync monitors here a couple weeks ago for my 1070, I was told I should investigate 1440p. This is back when I was looking at 1080 monitors used for $250.

I guess adaptive sync was never mentioned in that post, so yeah if you're looking to get 145FPS with the game running at the
low/med/high/ultra/>OBSCENE< preset locked-in, then yeah you'll want a 1080ti.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

At 144Hz you also need to take into consideration CPU bottlenecks. I know most games with my 1080Ti at 144 Hz are CPU bottlenecked, but that's because I have an i7-3820 and lost the silicon lottery on it. I'm probably only using 70% of what this GPU can do in a lot of games because of this thing. Maybe less.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

You must be somewhat value minded otherwise you would have already bought a Titan xp, the only other choice at 2560x1440 @144Hz for "gaming"

I have been deciding between Titan Xp, 1080Ti, and 1080, I have the budget for the Titan Xp but anything I don't spend of the new computer budget is getting rolled over into vacation budget, and longer vacation is nice too, so I'm not necessarily trying to go with literally everything maxed out.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

fermun posted:

I have been deciding between Titan Xp, 1080Ti, and 1080, I have the budget for the Titan Xp but anything I don't spend of the new computer budget is getting rolled over into vacation budget, and longer vacation is nice too, so I'm not necessarily trying to go with literally everything maxed out.

EVGA GeForce 1080 Ti FTW3 edition.

It really kicks the llama's rear end. Also my wallet.... it completely destroyed my wallet. I can't even afford the cheapest burger off the value menu at McDonald's anymore but holy hell do those sweet, sweet framerates make up for the growling and organ failure starvation sounds coming from my stomach.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fermun posted:

unless you have real need for the compute on the xp you should be getting the 1080ti because they are close enough in performance for games. Its the 144hz that is bumping you up into top tier GPU's. A 1070 would be fine for 60fps

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fermun posted:

Grab a 1080ti. If you're not going liquid, I'd suggest the Asus Strix or MSI Gaming X, because they come respectively with headers that can sync your case fan to your GPU for ASUS, or really quiet stock fans for MSI. However, the Aorus branded Gigabyte cards are just as good and if you're going to buy a liquid kit then obviously none of this matters and you should just go for what's cheapest.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The gigabyte has the nice upside of having the most video ports I've ever seen on a GPU. 3 DP, 2 rear HDMI, 2 front panel HDMI, 1 DL-DVI. You still can't use more than the standard amount at once but the flexibility is incredible.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Wirth1000 posted:

EVGA GeForce 1080 Ti FTW3 edition.

It really kicks the llama's rear end. Also my wallet.... it completely destroyed my wallet. I can't even afford the cheapest burger off the value menu at McDonald's anymore but holy hell do those sweet, sweet framerates make up for the growling and organ failure starvation sounds coming from my stomach.

I have the SC black edition which is slightly less wallet raping but still quite good.

Id suggest either a 1080 Ti or wait for the 1070 Ti over considering a 1080.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 1, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

fermun posted:

You missed your opportunity to buy a Titan. Get a 1080Ti at most.

I will paraphrase something that fellow goon Paul MaudDib has said, in that there are two upgrade cycles that you can be on when riding the high end GPU market. There is the Titan ugprade cycle, and the Ti upgrade cycle. You either go in at the beginning of new architecture, and ride that until the next series releases, or you wait until the Ti release, once they get the bins sorted out that they can start making those, and ride that until the next Ti part.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 1, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Also if I remember right, there's no 3rd party titan designs allowed. If you want those sweet 3x 90mm silent fan designs, it'll have to be a Ti.

Titan's are blowers only I think?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ak Gara posted:

Also if I remember right, there's no 3rd party titan designs allowed. If you want those sweet 3x 90mm silent fan designs, it'll have to be a Ti.

Titan's are blowers only I think?

I think the only Titan that's been allowed to be non-reference was an EVGA Hybrid design, and I'm pretty sure it was still bone-stock reference underneath.

Yup: https://www.evga.com/articles/00935/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-X-HYBRID/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 1, 2017

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'd like to see a GPU with a tower style cooler on it. No need to worry about the weight of the cooling solution if it's big enough to reach the bottom of the chassis. I saw a mod once where someone put a hyper 212 on their video card, it was way better than the stock cooler and you could still fit low-profile cards under it. With a full ATX case, you would have at least 135 mm to work with. You could also stick a 120mm RGB fan on there for maximum bling, it would look great through a tempered glass window.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think a mounting option on top of the PSU/Shroud would be pretty neat. It'd also solve the GPU sagging issue. With SLI / Crossfire fading away a bit, it may just happen.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Students would be the other major market for those enormous gaming laptops I suspect.

if you were to import an acer predator 21x to the uk it would cost more than an entire year's tuition. maybe if your family own the university

then again can you put a price on not only being that guy who turns up to lectures in a suit and tie, but also with a massive wheeled pelican case with 'PREDATOR' emblazoned on it? even for dipshit alt-righters it might be a little too heavy handed a a satire of campus safe spaces

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 1, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

at least I can hide my ankle monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Da gently caress? When I was talking about G-Sync monitors here a couple weeks ago for my 1070, I was told I should investigate 1440p. This is back when I was looking at 1080 monitors used for $250.

I guess adaptive sync was never mentioned in that post, so yeah if you're looking to get 145FPS with the game running at the
low/med/high/ultra/>OBSCENE< preset locked-in, then yeah you'll want a 1080ti.

running a 1070 at 1080p is a little bit of a waste, the thing will push most games higher than 60FPS at 1440p if you turn off the (pretty hard to notice and quite wasteful, imo) ULTRA HIGH settings, much higher if you're running anything that's a few years old.

when i had a gaming pc with a 1070 i was happy just turning a couple of settings down and enabling fast sync on this 60hz 1440p ultrasharp. i think i played through pretty much all of the content witcher 3 had to offer on this setup and my sense of amazement that i could play that game with the same level of input response and performance consistency as, like, super mario world never really went away

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

There's also the fact that the type of AA the chip in the cable does is really only apparent at low resolutions-- it only seems to use a few pixels to smooth things out, and i personally couldn't see much difference at the 1080p examples given over various reviews. Considering consoles are getting closer and closer to true 1080p at all times, that iteration of the chip at least is pointless for ps4.5 or whatever.

If there will be a ps1 classic or a n64 classic, then yes it would be almost a requisite, but not for future consoles.

yeah i mean it's not as if you need a scaler like this when you're pushing that amount of data down the cable already. hopefully if there's any truth and justice in the world most developers will be reverse engineering the gently caress out of DOOM 2016's AA method and slathering it all over their output in the years to come, also.

it would be nice if tv manufacturers actually implemented a good scaler like this, though then again i guess the crossover of people who are spending a ridiculous amount of money on a 4k tv and the people who want to put a 480p signal through it is vanishingly small. still, makes me want to find the SCART adapter for my tv and hook up the old vcr for old time's sake

orcane posted:

It doesn't count if half the video card is hanging out of your case TBH.

can someone find the always sunny clip where they consider dangling their new blu ray player from the tv by the cables? truly the most elegant solution

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 1, 2017