Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I play docked most of the time but every so often I will take it out and be reminded that, oh yeah, this thing is portable! And then I’ll take off the joycons and realize holy poo poo this thing is tiny, considering what it can do.

I had a realization that if anyone is going to challenge Nintendo on the portable console field, it’ll be Apple, not Sony. The iPad and iPhone are theoretically capable of delivering graphics matching or surpassing that of the Switch—The Witness looks identical between my iPhone and my gaming PC—but too many of even the most “complex” games are touchscreen only.

Currently, they’re trying to position the Apple TV as streaming device that can moonlight as a gaming console. At their most recent event, they had the devs behind Journey show off their new game on the Apple TV. However, I think they’re going about it the wrong way.

What Apple should do is release an iPod Touch with a larger battery, a dock, and a Bluetooth controller, then bribe EA to port CoD and FIFA to what I’m dubbing “GameOS”, which is an optimized and stripped down version of iOS focused solely on gaming. I could see them charging $250-$275 for such a device (I’m calling it the iPlay, but I’d love if they were to bring the Pippen branding back), and with the brand and developer following they have they would be a serious threat to Nintendo, and possibly even Microsoft and Sony.

Why they haven’t done this already is completely beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My guess has always been that Apple buys Nintendo at some point

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

My guess has always been that Apple buys Nintendo at some point

They tried. Nintendo told them no.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Nintendo isn't public traded right? They can just tell wannabe buyers to gently caress off

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nintendo isn't public traded right? They can just tell wannabe buyers to gently caress off

It is, it's why they have those hilarious shareholder meetings, but they hold most of the stocks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can be publically traded and still majority owned

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Either way the important thing is that they can tell people to gently caress off

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
are pro controllers still expensive? I need something more comfortable when playing ARMS

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Same price as always. Worth it IMO.

You can also wait for the 8bitdo SF30PRo/SNES30Pro to get released and see what people think of it. With the new analog sticks and better ZL/ZR it may be a good Pro controller substitute.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
that guy who posted earlier about being able to easily buy off a foreign eshop with his domestic card filled me with hope that they had made more cards work on more regions but none of my cards work on foreign eshops still

heck

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

what about PayPal?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

I tried to do paypal a day or so after they rolled it out and at like the last phase of connecting it to my nintendo account it said i couldnt because the region of the paypal account had to match the region of the eshop

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Yikes, that is unfortunate. I guess if none of your credit cards do international, then you need to find a way to buy foreign eshop cards.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah getting ahold of foreign currency codes is dead simple with amazon itd just be nice to be able to do exact funds is all

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Agreed

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

FireMrshlBill posted:

Same price as always. Worth it IMO.

You can also wait for the 8bitdo SF30PRo/SNES30Pro to get released and see what people think of it. With the new analog sticks and better ZL/ZR it may be a good Pro controller substitute.

Are they flat on the back like how joycons are or do they have curves for your hand?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Dizz posted:

Are they flat on the back like how joycons are or do they have curves for your hand?

The NES30Pro is flat. I think the SNES30Pro is going to be pretty much the SNES controller shape much like their SN30 they have out now.

If you are looking for modern controller style grip, then just go for the Pro.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I love the joy on colors but I can't decide if I should get an additional neon set to match Color sets or go wild with different colors.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the colours look nicer matched than mixed, so I would say get that opposite neon set.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Octopath Traveller and a Shin Megami Tensei game. I'd be a bit iffy on Pokemon getting out the door next year though, as they've had nothing to show for it yet and it'll be a pretty big game to put together from the ground up.

I feel like Pokemon Switch could be close or really far and it's impossible to tell as the lack of information could be because of them having nothing to show or because the Ultra SuMo games aren't out yet and they aren't going to talk about Gen 8 when they still have a Gen 7 game to release.

If there's nothing in the first 2018 Direct then we'll know I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

I feel like Pokemon Switch could be close or really far and it's impossible to tell as the lack of information could be because of them having nothing to show or because the Ultra SuMo games aren't out yet and they aren't going to talk about Gen 8 when they still have a Gen 7 game to release.

If there's nothing in the first 2018 Direct then we'll know I think.

It's more that it's gonna be Gamefreak's first HD game, and that takes a lot of effort and training to work on from the ground-up. Even if Nintendo steps in to do some of the heavy coding.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I need to confirm that both Golf Story and Picross are must buys. Totally loving these games!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I still haven't taken my Switch out of the dock. If I'm out of the house in the first place, it's because I have something to do and I go do that thing instead of playing Switch. It's not like a GBA where you can just pull it out during a few minutes of downtime here and there because it can't be carried in a pocket.

The portability aspect is cool, but to me it's portable in the same way a laptop computer is. And I'm not going to walk around town with a bag full of Nintendo Switch poo poo just in case the opportunity to play it for a bit arises.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Did I dream that or is Dragon Quest Builders 2 also coming to the Switch? I recently got 1 for cheap on the PS4 and this would make a most excellent switch game!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the panacea posted:

Did I dream that or is Dragon Quest Builders 2 also coming to the Switch? I recently got 1 for cheap on the PS4 and this would make a most excellent switch game!

It is coming to the switch

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more that it's gonna be Gamefreak's first HD game, and that takes a lot of effort and training to work on from the ground-up. Even if Nintendo steps in to do some of the heavy coding.

Gamefreak have done other HD games, just not Pokemon games. Giga Wrecker came out earlier this year and they did Tembo the Badass Elephant in 2015.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nintendo holds most of their stock to prevent any kind of take over of the company for one thing but it's also a large, famous Japanese corporation. The Japanese government is known to protect Japan based companies from foriegn hostile take overs as well. Then there's the little issue of any company who manages to somehow purchase a Japanese company also now having to cut deals with the Yakuza so most US based companies don't want a takeover of a Japanese based on; it's not worth the headaches

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Gamefreak have done other HD games, just not Pokemon games. Giga Wrecker came out earlier this year and they did Tembo the Badass Elephant in 2015.

Those do not really count in this case. Both are 2D games with relatively simple art styles. I'm talking like full HD 1080p AAA games with 3D models and god rays in the lighting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those do not really count in this case. Both are 2D games with relatively simple art styles. I'm talking like full HD 1080p AAA games with 3D models and god rays in the lighting.
Not even Nintendo's games hit 1080p. :v:

All of the 3DS Pokemon games were in full 3D, and odds are any Switch Pokemon game will look relatively similar, but with more polygons and a higher texture and screen resolution. Don't expect it to look like Fallout 4, is all I'm trying to say.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I fully expect Pokémon Switch to look like Sun/Moon with higher resolution assets. Which is fine.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Today was the first time I saw Switches in the wild, however they were all Splatoon bundles and I don't want Splatoon. Seriously, 4 stores had 5+ Switches each but all were Splatoon bundles. Best Buy had one grey stock console but was sold just seconds before I could claim it. All I want is an Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 machine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Kins posted:

Not even Nintendo's games hit 1080p. :v:

All of the 3DS Pokemon games were in full 3D, and odds are any Switch Pokemon game will look relatively similar, but with more polygons and a higher texture and screen resolution. Don't expect it to look like Fallout 4, is all I'm trying to say.

MK8D is 1080p I think. It looks noticeably better (at a standstill anyway) than MK8 on Wii U.

[quote="“Lord Ephraim”" post="“476940015”"]
Today was the first time I saw Switches in the wild, however they were all Splatoon bundles and I don’t want Splatoon. Seriously, 4 stores had 5+ Switches each but all were Splatoon bundles. Best Buy had one grey stock console but was sold just seconds before I could claim it. All I want is an Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 machine.
[/quote]

Mario Odyssey bundles are still in stock for preorder at Best Buy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, you’d think if anything was going to sell out quick it would be that Mario bundle. Guess the Switch is finally readily available!

Edit: I mean I guess it’s a loving failure!!!!!!

Wendell fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 1, 2017

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I got Golf Story mostly to play on a trip, but it is a ton of fun. Don't care about golf but this is fun and silly enough to pull me in.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I still haven't picked a Switch up yet (soooon hopefully) but I had a question. Is that Switch warping thing still happening? I've seen a few pictures of the tablet warped slightly.

Oh and battery packs. Is the SwitchCharge any good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I still haven't picked a Switch up yet (soooon hopefully) but I had a question. Is that Switch warping thing still happening? I've seen a few pictures of the tablet warped slightly.

I've seen talk of about 20-30 people who've had their Switch warp. It seems to be a freak occurrence assuming it's not faked completely.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Playing Golf Story as I lay in bed on a lazy Sunday.

I bring my Switch to work like 3 days a week. I don't always get to play it, but it just sits in my backpack in its case until lunch rolls around. I usually play Thumper or BoI for about 35 minutes. It's not hard to tote around.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

just use a USB battery pack that you'd use to charge your phone while on your vacation or whatever

as for warping, i haven't seen it first hand but it seems to have been overblown?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really want a pro controller but I already preordered the badass xenoblade one, and at 70 bucks idk if I'd buy another just to have it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Was playing Mario Rabbids on a 4 hr bus ride while plebs were playing bejeweled on their phones. Girls kept checking out my screen.

• Locked thread