Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Just wanted to add my two cents on the PVM chat. I've had one for a few years and while I really like it, it absolutely isn't worth hundreds of dollars. Not by a long shot. I lucked out and got a 20M2U for $50 two years ago and I feel like that's a fair price for one. I've played all my consoles over composite and RGB and honestly, I can't see a huge difference between the two. They all look fine on a CRT. Hell, I've compared my PVM to a friend's consumer-grade Trinitron and the Trinitron is a perfectly fine option. They're way more abundant and people are more or less giving them away at this point. Having said that, I'm definitely going to keep my PVM because I can't afford a Framemeister and honestly, trying to get all my retro consoles running over an HDTV sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Ya, it depends on your setup, but the 14" PVMs are hard to deal with since they are so deep compared to 13"/14" TVs, so you have to have the right set up for it to be on your desk (and my eyes aren't good enough anymore to sit far away from a 13" when gaming). So a 20" or bigger so you can sit on the couch is preferable. I'd say $100 is worth it for a 20". The usual $500 you see on CL or eBay is not.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/914307810925645825

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

haha, I like it

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nah. Other than having the ur-port of Doom, it's a really lovely system.

I just want it for tempest, I've got one of those controllers with the paddle.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
What's everyone's favorite source of controller pinouts & wiring diagrams? I've got an idea for a couple of dongles which could be great for a few people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Better than an edgy console skin I guess

Very :sbahj:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNTtR6ZpUOo

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I had an edgy console skin for my og Xbox and GameCube. It felt really good peeling that poo poo off when I got all my consoles organized and out of storage.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What are the longevity issues that are going to cause retro consoles to die over time? Obviously there are dying/leaking capacitors and batteries, but what else?

Apparently SNESes (especially early Super Famicoms) are more likely to develop issues with their PPUs than a lot of other consoles. Not really sure why. From what I've seen, the problem tends to manifest itself as corrupted/missing background layers or scrambled Mode 7 effects.

Any console that has a BIOS or OS stored in (E)EPROM or Flash memory is also going to die sooner or later, depending on the technology used and how many times the memory has been written to, though we're generally talking decades here (as long as you don't operate or store the console in an oven).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
omg i want a Neo Geo washing machine:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Tree Dude posted:

The Nintendo Classic consoles are probably fine enough for most people especially when you factor in the price of these things but it isn't at all perfect. There were some audio issues with the NES Classic. There were also some issues with the way it handled the pixels or something that wasn't quite right that made things look weird when scrolling. I dunno I just watched a video about it.

I expect for 99% of buyers it'll be just like they remember.

The SNES Classic has at least one audio issue that I ran into tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2FAD_AA-Q

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
From what I've seen, the SNES Classic seems to be a different sort of mediocre at audio than the NES classic was, and that clip is a good example of how.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A good breakdown here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOObbaqOaUQ

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Boy, they really can't get the sound right on any of the clone consoles, can they?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to hear what Solstice/Silver Surfer/Pictionary sound like loaded into the NES Classic, assuming it fucks it up in some way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

azurite posted:

Boy, they really can't get the sound right on any of the clone consoles, can they?

100% accurate emulation is possible, it's just Nintendo would need more power than a low end phone chipset to provide it. :shrug:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
He touches on a few games in detail- curious if they 'accurately' emulated Super Ghouls n Ghosts (slow as balls) or is it actually playable?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

falz posted:

He touches on a few games in detail- curious if they 'accurately' emulated Super Ghouls n Ghosts (slow as balls) or is it actually playable?
The Giant Bomb Quick Look showed it had a ton of slowdown.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah SG&G looked just like I remember it from back when it came out.

Would be a neat feature if they added an overclocking option to these systems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo if this is not the new thread title there is no justice in this world

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fishmech posted:

100% accurate emulation is possible, it's just Nintendo would need more power than a low end phone chipset to provide it. :shrug:

As a thought, I wonder if part of it is that even cheap chips nowadays simply aren't as low-fidelity as a 90's console audio processor. You'd have to work to fake the sound, so-to-speak.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As a thought, I wonder if part of it is that even cheap chips nowadays simply aren't as low-fidelity as a 90's console audio processor. You'd have to work to fake the sound, so-to-speak.
Emulation, especially accurate emulation, requires a much more powerful processor than the original device, purely by its nature. The more tiny little things you wish to do the "right way" instead of implementing per-game hacks and workarounds, the more power you're gonna need to throw at it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Accuracy takes power: one man’s 3GHz quest to build a perfect SNES emulator

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Seems relevant to current discussion

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 1, 2017

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I also don't imagine Sony takes kindly to people who want information on reverse-engineering its SPC700 chip that was in the SNES.

Especially Nintendo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ProjektorBoy posted:

I also don't imagine Sony takes kindly to people who want information on reverse-engineering its SPC700 chip that was in the SNES.

Especially Nintendo.

That chip's already fully documented. All of the chips used in the SNES and the system's official games are fully documented by the community and Nintendo could use that if they had lost all of that info they almost certainly had while designing the system.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I think the drum and background parts on the SNES classic sound better, but what is up with that many octaves lower harpsichord sound?

How is it processing sounds at a lower octave and different midi instrument sound? I'd get if it was a lower fi, broken up version of the original, but this.

I guess my question really is how does the sound on the SNES work? Is it giving an instruction to the sound chip to produce a sound (like "if input B, then play sound 09F") or is it a compressed audio track that is just played? If it is the former, then it makes sense if they don't have perfect emulation of the sound chip. If it is the latter, then I don't understand why it is different outside of a different ROM with different audio.

I've never actually considered how they did this on retro consoles because it never occurred to me when I was younger and never cared enough to think about it when I got older.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 1, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

liquid courage posted:

I've played all my consoles over composite and RGB and honestly, I can't see a huge difference between the two.

I hope you meant component.

If not, be sure to check that little box in your tax returns because you are blind.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
On the SNES, the sound hardware is effectively a whole separate computer system. You have the 8-bit SPC700 CPU, a 16-bit digital signal proccesor, 64 KB of RAM for exclusive use of the chips, and a small ROM that boots the SPC700 and sets it up to receive data from the SNES system. The SNES software usually loads in samples and programs when the game starts or levels change that can then be activated by a few quick instructions from the SNES CPU to trigger a whole complex song to play, or to play the sound effects when needed.

Some games however just continuously stream whole audio stream data into the hardware throughout the game to do the music, instead of the sort of MOD-like system of having samples for "instruments" tied to a set of notes.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Should I be running consoles I have Component cables for (ps2, og xbox, wii) through the Framemeister with a component>dlink thing or just go direct to the TV?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tree Dude posted:

Should I be running consoles I have Component cables for (ps2, og xbox, wii) through the Framemeister with a component>dlink thing or just go direct to the TV?

They should go direct to the TV, especially the Xbox because of how many 720p and 1080i supporting games it has.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tree Dude posted:

Depends on if your TV can accept the signal or not. If you've got a framemeister already, sure might as well, but if the TV will take the signal directly then try it out.

You might end up with less lag and a better image over HDMI, depends on the TV. Just try both and see which feels better.

But yeah the games that output 720p will be much better direct and even the 480p stuff should be superior directly connected.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've noticed the SNES is really good at reproducing string bass (upright or guitar) and piano. Most string instruments, really. Also percussion. Guess that's PCM in a nutshell, and further proof that the system was designed to be the RPG machine.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I connect my component devices (PS2 and oxbox) directly to my TV because I had a lot of trouble with my FM hanging up on resolution changes commonly used for FMVs on PS2 games.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Sir Tonk posted:

Depends on if your TV can accept the signal or not. If you've got a framemeister already, sure might as well, but if the TV will take the signal directly then try it out.

You might end up with less lag and a better image over HDMI, depends on the TV. Just try both and see which feels better.

But yeah the games that output 720p will be much better direct and even the 480p stuff should be superior directly connected.
On a similar note, what consoles are best suited to a VGA connection on a 1080p screen? I'm assuming Xbox 360 is really the only one. The relative lack of lag is really noticeable vs HDMI, at least on my TV (plasma from 2009)

Dreamcast looked pretty bad connected directly to the same screen via VGA, while looking amazing on an old CRT monitor, so I'm assuming a DC would benefit from a Framemeister on an HDTV.

Anything else? I'm not really aware of other consoles with first-party VGA support so I'm assuming it's a pretty small pool.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Minidust posted:

On a similar note, what consoles are best suited to a VGA connection on a 1080p screen? I'm assuming Xbox 360 is really the only one. The relative lack of lag is really noticeable vs HDMI, at least on my TV (plasma from 2009)

Dreamcast looked pretty bad connected directly to the same screen via VGA, while looking amazing on an old CRT monitor, so I'm assuming a DC would benefit from a Framemeister on an HDTV.

Anything else? I'm not really aware of other consoles with first-party VGA support so I'm assuming it's a pretty small pool.

If you have a set mind about vga connectivity, older xrgb models connect that way instead of HDMI. The XRGB3 at least also does VGA IN and will process it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Minidust posted:

PS2 VGA connectors existed back in the day, but they were just converting the component signal to a VGA-compatible signal. I think they might even have only worked with certain games that could do 480p out, but I'm not sure. You'd want to just use component directly these days though. Similarly, the GameCubes with the digital output port used for the component cables, could also be used for VGA output if someone wanted to build it, but you'd probably just skip straight to doing another output method using that.

Also Dreamcast VGA output should usually look just fine on modern HDTVs, but increasingly fewer displays bother to actually test resolutions below 800x600 or so, when they bother to have a VGA connector at all. Sounds like you kinda just hit the lottery on bad VGA support and now the only thing you can really do is run the VGA or component output into an upscaler now.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
The OSSC also supports VGA input.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Discount Viscount posted:

The SNES Classic has at least one audio issue that I ran into tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2FAD_AA-Q

Holy poo poo that's not even close! It sounds like they used the Genesis ROM by accident! How does not every soundtrack sound completely different?? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wonder how the rest of the tracks compare?

• Locked thread