Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'll write up something when I get home tomorrow, I loathe effortposting on the app.

That is, unless anyone beats me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Randarkman posted:

Denmark still does that thing where they just confiscate refugees' jewelry and other valuables upon entry right?

Yes, and their money. Everything exceeding 10,000 DKK, valuables included. Somebody fleeing war was robbed by the police of as little as 8,000 DKK. The Danish People's Party wanted the limit to be 3,000 DKK.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, and their money. Everything exceeding 10,000 DKK, valuables included. Somebody fleeing war was robbed by the police of as little as 8,000 DKK. The Danish People's Party wanted the limit to be 3,000 DKK.

Oh, the war in Germany?

The Danish policy is despicable, but you are making two faults in your argumentation which incidentally only help DFP.

A: Fleeing from war doesn't end you up in Denmark, since the person in question have literally travelled through a number of countries not in war. The person in question is choosing his country for seeking asylum based on rational decisions such as the presence of fellow countrymen and possibility of jobs and other pull factors. What Denmark is doing is trying to reduce those pull factors in a race to the bottom that the rest of Europe have joined in.
B: Not every immigrant coming to Europe is fleeing from wars, a lot comes for better economical opportunities.

Both of these issues could in a ideal (lol) world be solved by a pan-Europeean (lol) asylum and green card collaboration.
But keep on thinking it is all about racism in Denmark, since that line of argumentation have apparently worked so well.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
A more salient fact might be that while Danish police *can* seize valuables, apparently they aren't. An article from June I found said they'd charged people twice so far, total.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Both of these issues could in a ideal (lol) world be solved by a pan-Europeean (lol) asylum and green card collaboration.
But keep on thinking it is all about racism in Denmark, since that line of argumentation have apparently worked so well.
It's as if those 2 things are not mutually exclusive and you're making false arguments, again. And the reason we don't have a pan-European system is because of, you guessed it, racism

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cardiac posted:

Oh, the war in Germany?

The Danish policy is despicable, but you are making two faults in your argumentation which incidentally only help DFP.

A: Fleeing from war doesn't end you up in Denmark, since the person in question have literally travelled through a number of countries not in war. The person in question is choosing his country for seeking asylum based on rational decisions such as the presence of fellow countrymen and possibility of jobs and other pull factors. What Denmark is doing is trying to reduce those pull factors in a race to the bottom that the rest of Europe have joined in.
B: Not every immigrant coming to Europe is fleeing from wars, a lot comes for better economical opportunities.

+Country implements more obviously racist policies than pretty much anywhere else in the world+
+Country elects an incredibly outspokenly racist, ultra nationalist, party as the second biggest in parliament+

It's really not about racism guys, and furthermore...,

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cardiac posted:

You do know that there are treaties, which Denmark is signatory to, that regulate how refugees are to settled and such? Refugees fleeing from Africa and the Middle East end up in Italy, Spain and Greece. However we would kind of prefer that not all refugees stay in those first destination countries forever, which often are much more economically fragile than Denmark and the other Scandinavian countries (though in practice they often end up languishing in refugee/transit camps in those countries for months if/not years and may or may not simply disappear off the radar).

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Found some good fake news. Oslo has been taken over by gangs of rapist muslims and the cops have given up. Lol.
http://occupydeplorables.com/oslo-police-declare-we-have-lost-the-cityislam-has-taken-over/#.Wb3D0eqKmUE.twitter

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Aftenposten is a pro Islamic newspaper lol.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Lodin posted:

Found some good fake news. Oslo has been taken over by gangs of rapist muslims and the cops have given up. Lol.
http://occupydeplorables.com/oslo-police-declare-we-have-lost-the-cityislam-has-taken-over/#.Wb3D0eqKmUE.twitter

quote:

The Grønland district of Oslo looks like Karachi, Basra, and Mogadishu all rolled into one.

:thunk:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

You do know that there are treaties, which Denmark is signatory to, that regulate how refugees are to settled and such? Refugees fleeing from Africa and the Middle East end up in Italy, Spain and Greece. However we would kind of prefer that not all refugees stay in those first destination countries forever, which often are much more economically fragile than Denmark and the other Scandinavian countries (though in practice they often end up languishing in refugee/transit camps in those countries for months if/not years and may or may not simply disappear off the radar).
Which treaties are you talking about here? The Dublin Regulation? Given our opt-outs in this area, we're generally not signatories to treaties which cover this kind of stuff, we just come to an agreement with the EU at some point. (Which we haven't on Dublin III.) I'm not saying we're conducting ourselves in a moral manner, but all we've actually done in an EU context is agree to the right to send refugees back to the first EU country they entered, and taking in 1000 refugees. There is the whole Refugee Convention, which we're not that great at upholding, but in terms of what we've agreed to with the EU I think we're generally in the clear.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Stop responding to Nils, please.

Rust Martialis posted:

A more salient fact might be that while Danish police *can* seize valuables, apparently they aren't. An article from June I found said they'd charged people twice so far, total.

Wrong. There were at least four examples as of January, one where as little as 8.000 DKK was confiscated. It's always been intended as a mostly symbolic gently caress-you gesture, but it is utilised.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

SplitSoul posted:

Stop responding to Nils, please.

Wrong. There were at least four examples as of January, one where as little as 8.000 DKK was confiscated. It's always been intended as a mostly symbolic gently caress-you gesture, but it is utilised.

Hardly shocked, but I couldn't find English articles - my Danish lessons start shortly. Can you provide any links either in English or Danish please?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Grønland has drug addicts. As the community that used to hang out south of the central station got broken up back in 2004 Brugata at the western edge of Grønland became one of the new hangouts.
Grønland has brown people. A bunch of people and businesses moved there as first Grünerløkka was gentrified followed by Torggata. It's where you go if you want a good kebab or vegetables at decent prices.

Grønland also includes the Oslo Police HQ since forever. The police and private security presence is pretty substantial. They're not "giving up" on anything. It's all pretty standard big city stuff, but I'm sure if you live in any of the aforementioned gentrified areas you'll be annoyed at having to commute past the people you've displaced and stuff. Also, like 3 craft-beer bars, 2 high-concept cocktail bars, 2 bubble-tea shops and a geek/animu store opened up in Brugata/Storgata this year so expect to have to travel further for your kebab in a little while. Grønland will be IT consultants and partysvenske communes as far as the eye can see before 2020.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 18, 2017

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I plead no contest :tipshat:

Though Mogadishu's gonna start looking attractive when November rolls around.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Hardly shocked, but I couldn't find English articles - my Danish lessons start shortly. Can you provide any links either in English or Danish please?

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/et-aar-med-omstridt-smykkelov-politiet-har-brugt-den-fire-gange

Reminder that it was a last-minute addition not to confiscate poo poo like wedding rings.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But one of the most corrupt piece of poo poo scumbag cops here in Norway just got got 21. That makes me happy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lots of salty nazis in Gothenburg today. They pissed away their planned "huge" demonstration, their leader was arrested and now they're getting beat up by police. :munch:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Feelsgoodman.txt

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bash the Fash

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Lots of salty nazis in Gothenburg today. They pissed away their planned "huge" demonstration, their leader was arrested and now they're getting beat up by police. :munch:

Now that's some police brutality I can get behind.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Apparently the black block got its rear end handed to it by the police and they also spent a lot of effort on infighting.
Both nazis and afa grabbed by the police sounds like good work by the police.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Cardiac posted:

Apparently the black block got its rear end handed to it by the police and they also spent a lot of effort on infighting.

stop equating antifa with nazis you idiot

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cardiac is just telling himself that so he can feel better about his buddies getting owned hard, give the man some space.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

Cardiac is just telling himself that so he can feel better about his buddies getting owned hard, give the man some space.
It's this

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

skipThings posted:

stop equating antifa with nazis you idiot

Turns out a lot of people think both Antifa and the nazi demonstrators are just same type of trash with a different authoritarian flavour. The logic is that "if no one cared the nazis would go away, and afa is playing in to their hands by confronting them, because they want attention".

Obviously ignoring nazis is just a tacit endorsement of their behaviour, so they should be confronted and shown in no uncertain terms their bullshit won't fly, but I can understand why you would recoil from the leftist activists as well. Things like the riots 2001 and violence with collateral damage to innocent people has given them a terrible reputation, one not undeserved .

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Less nazis than expected showed up.
Their march was stopped by antifa.
Their leaders was arrested and they got beaten up by the police.

This apparently is an example of the antifa failing according to Cardiac.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Turns out a lot of people think both Antifa and the nazi demonstrators are just same type of trash with a different authoritarian flavour. The logic is that "if no one cared the nazis would go away, and afa is playing in to their hands by confronting them, because they want attention".

Obviously ignoring nazis is just a tacit endorsement of their behaviour, so they should be confronted and shown in no uncertain terms their bullshit won't fly, but I can understand why you would recoil from the leftist activists as well. Things like the riots 2001 and violence with collateral damage to innocent people has given them a terrible reputation, one not undeserved .

I guess you could think that, if you're some kind of liberal dumbshit.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
liberalism is good

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wild Horses posted:

liberalism is good

FOR ME TO POOP ON

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

I was right there on the front row at Heden, but goddamn, I had no idea there were that many people. I figured the crowd extended maybe twenty metres behind me. When we started jumping the barricades after the police left because the nazis were clearly not coming, a liberal in a sailing jacket yelled after me and called me 'våldsverkare' :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

liberal in a sailing jacket yelled after me and called me 'våldsverkare' :(
Hahahaha you can't make that poo poo up

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Cerebral Bore posted:

FOR ME TO POOP ON

:chanpop:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
When the nazis started chanting about Malexander, I’m sure they just meant their support for the tragic deaths of police in service, you guys.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So what exactly happened yesterday with the protests? I read that the nazis tried to change the marching route and the police used that as an excuse to shut the whole thing down. Why did they try going a different route? Why didn't they listen to the police?

Did they honestly feel they could just do whatever the gently caress they wanted?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

So what exactly happened yesterday with the protests? I read that the nazis tried to change the marching route and the police used that as an excuse to shut the whole thing down. Why did they try going a different route? Why didn't they listen to the police?

Did they honestly feel they could just do whatever the gently caress they wanted?

Yes to the first, yes to the last, and for the middle ones it turns out nazis aren't very smart.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
No, you see, the people explicitly and openly advocating for, and supporting, the genocide of people with different skin colors, are pretty much the same as the people who are trying to stop them for advocating/enacting mass murder and spreading their hateful ideology. It's really two sides of the same coin when you think about it and both sides are pretty bad.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
All I want is to get rid of a few ethnic, religious and sexual minorities and if you can't respect that then you're the nazi

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Their march was stopped by antifa.
From what I understood, antifa (or any of the counter protesters) never really got close to the nazis so you can't give them credit for shutting it down.

It was stopped because the nazis tried to deviate from the route they had given permission to use, got pushed back by police at which point they started fighting with the police. Their leader was arrested along with a bunch of others, and while this was going on the permitted time for their demonstration ran out and the police told everyone to gently caress off.

Basically the nazis stopped their own march because they're a bunch of thin-skinned morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

From what I understood, antifa (or any of the counter protesters) never really got close to the nazis so you can't give them credit for shutting it down.

It was stopped because the nazis tried to deviate from the route they had given permission to use, got pushed back by police at which point they started fighting with the police. Their leader was arrested along with a bunch of others, and while this was going on the permitted time for their demonstration ran out and the police told everyone to gently caress off.

Basically the nazis stopped their own march because they're a bunch of thin-skinned morons.

They also started fighting journalists and had a sit in, demanding that the police release their arrested leader. Shockingly, the police did not meet that demand., and the Nazis packed their cars and went home.