Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Handling of the screen has a lot to do with getting burn in to show or not. Just like Plasma TVs.
That sentence shouldn't even have a need to be written out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Just lol if you don't disable the feed entirely

I really, really wish I could:

If all Assistant/Now/Feed/whateverthefuck did was present the information I already voluntarily put into Google's apps - Calendar, Maps etc - I wouldn't give a poo poo, but I hate hate hate not being able to separately get rid of the 'here's some clickbait and a Daily Mail article for you to read' article suggestions.

I mean I know technically I could hit 'not interested' on each and every single entry, but I know it would only interpret that as 'well he didn't like 18 Cute Cat Photos, #5 Will Melt Your Heart so what about 16 Doggos That Think They're People?'

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I literally don't get any clickbait articles. Probably because I told it I wasn't interested in them.

I'd say 95% of articles in the feed are relevant to my interests...mostly technical stuff and some general news.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I literally don't get any clickbait articles. Probably because I told it I wasn't interested in them.

I'd say 95% of articles in the feed are relevant to my interests...mostly technical stuff and some general news.

This is my experience. I do all of my browsing logged in on Chrome everywhere so that could contribute as well but for me I never see anything I don't have at least a tangential interest. As an example, I might see news about the Knicks after I've read an article about the Warriors playing the Knicks but if that happens I just tell it I don't care about the Knicks. I rarely have to prune an interest and when I do, it's because it's literally news to everyone (Donald Trump) or because I searched in depth for something out of prurient interest rather genuine interest.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

My point is, there's no way of it only presenting the useful, actionable, specific information that I already gave Google; there's no way of turning off 'stories to read' or any other big-data garbage that I'm not interested in and won't ever be interested in.

I suppose I'm peeved in a first-world-problems way that they insist on tangling up the useful information with a whole bunch of other garbage that I'm not interested in, at all, but can't turn off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have to ask this because I just can't imagine it, but how is it you have nothing that you could be interested in?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My problem with the news alerts is that I'm usually well aware of the story by the time Google decides that it's "news" and shows me the alert. By that point, it's just a useless update.

If it's actually something I hadn't heard yet, then it's going to be a tech story that I will eventually get to when I'm not busy and, again, I don't need the instantaneous alert. "Oh, Apple had an event. I'll read about that in a couple of days, whatever."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

My problem with the news alerts is that I'm usually well aware of the story by the time Google decides that it's "news" and shows me the alert. By that point, it's just a useless update.

If it's actually something I hadn't heard yet, then it's going to be a tech story that I will eventually get to when I'm not busy and, again, I don't need the instantaneous alert. "Oh, Apple had an event. I'll read about that in a couple of days, whatever."

You know you don't have to receive notifications of these things? They can just be in your feed without presenting a notification. Each of those links in spincube's screenshot is a link to the notification channel under Oreo and you can fine tune each type of feed to give you the priority of notification you'd prefer up to and including none at all. I only have notifications for things I care about in the moment, everything else can sit on the feed until I get to it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LastInLine posted:

I have to ask this because I just can't imagine it, but how is it you have nothing that you could be interested in?

I don't even navigate outside my bookmarks for content on these dead gay forums.

The real answer is I look it up on my own.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm not being clear? I just don't want Google to suggest anything to me. They're not a news aggregator that I'm interested in. It doesn't add value to me.

Assistant feels to me like VR circa 1996: its evangelists and the tech media are breathlessly heralding the arrival of game-changing technology with Star Trek's Holodeck just around the corner, but assuming your neck can cope with the CRT helmet and the semiportable backpack processor, it's all matte-shaded geometric shapes at 15fps.

I've posted about how I tried 'OK Google, turn on Do Not Disturb' before. I tried again just now and:

Excuse the Twilight piss filter. Yes, DND is already on, but to be honest the outcome just damns the idea of a 'smart assistant' even more.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just because it doesn't work perfect doesn't drat the idea of a smart assistant.

I get tons of use out of Google Assistant daily.

Yes, I'm frustrated by its shortcoming daily as well, but I find that to be the case with everything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I talk more to Google in a typical day than I do to any other single human and rarely do I come across situations where it doesn't work as expected but admittedly I know from practice what's likely to produce a positive result.

My wife on the other hand loves to ask Google things she knows won't work out. One thing she's fond of doing is telling Google what her cat is named. (An interesting note here, you can only have one of any animal--at least, only one with a name.) Now her cat is named BMO, pronounced Beem-oh, but Google cannot remember that and instead will always reply with "Okay, I'll remember that your cat's name is Beema." No matter how clearly she'll tell Google her cat's name, it will always be repeated back that it's Beema instead of Beemo. (By the way, the only benefit to telling Google what your cat's name is you can now ask "What's my cat's name?" and it will tell you.)

Last night, however my wife told Google "My cat's name is 'Beemo is a cool dude'." Now Google tells her that her cat's name is Bee Em Oh, which is actually what her cat's name is even though that's explicitly not what she said.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The Android Thread - I talk more to Google in a typical day than I do to any other single human

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In the example I posted, there's three main context clues I can think of that should have been taken into account, in no particular order:
  • DND is an OS function with an API
  • DND is currently automatically toggled 'on' (maybe %user% means 'turn DND off'?)
  • The query came from Android OS on 6P hardware
but instead it dumped the query straight into a Google search, and came back with results detailing how to turn on DND on an OS that I'm not using on hardware I'm not using. The 'smart responses,' also apparently based on Google's super-AI, aren't so useful either.

Which brings me back to my previous point: although I'm happy for Assistant to 'ping' when it's time to leave for an appointment in my calendar, or for it to warn that it's raining before I go to work - useful, actionable data based on information I voluntarily and knowingly fed into Google in the first place - their flagship AI/deep learning software is useless, unless you change to meet its arbitrary needs - thus defeating the object of a 'smart assistant' that 'you just talk to'.

spincube fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 30, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Your wife is a nerd.

Not that I'm judging.

Or she could be really into the bank, I guess...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google removed nfc smart unlocking and some guy on Reddit melted down about it and posted this laughable bit in his diatribe

quote:

Why Does this Matter?

Google has removed an important device feature silently without notice or warning to customers. This speaks volumes about how Google treats its customers. This also serves as a general warning to be mindful of this sort behaviour from Google. As Android Users we have a right to the features we paid for on the hardware we paid for. And if those software features need to be removed for some reason legal or otherwise then we deserve a warning beforehand and a reason saying exactly what is happening, why it is happening and what alternative options or potential resolutions there may be.

googled again

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

spincube posted:

Maybe I'm not being clear? I just don't want Google to suggest anything to me. They're not a news aggregator that I'm interested in. It doesn't add value to me.

This, but YouTube's "Recommended" section too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Google removed nfc smart unlocking

Oh goddamnit I use that

Scroogled again I guess.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

Google removed nfc smart unlocking and some guy on Reddit melted down about it and posted this laughable bit in his diatribe

googled again

To be fair: absent of any context, their frustration is valid. It's not right that a feature was whisked away like that: it assumes all sorts of things on the part of the user, like oh sure they read about it days in advance on their usual tech blogs and can seamlessly transition to something else because they know what NFC unlocking is and how they use it (if they use it), they know how it'll affect their usage and enjoyment of their device, and they know (if applicable) how to mitigate losing the feature.

I mean, pearl-clutching aside, someone really should start holding Google's feet in the fire more regarding their customer service. Beyond having their Settings chat app telling you how to adjust the screen brightness, or to reboot the device if it feels like it's slow.

(I didn't use the feature in question, feel free to correct me if there was indeed a :siren:THIS IS GOING AWAY:siren: advance message or something.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea Google is wrong but they do this poo poo constantly so it should be expected. Fwiw it seems to only be gone for new accounts. Here's the long rear end post if you care

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/73ejrk/psa_update_google_breaks_their_silence_and_gives/

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

spincube posted:

Assistant feels to me like VR circa 1996: its evangelists and the tech media are breathlessly heralding the arrival of game-changing technology with Star Trek's Holodeck just around the corner, but assuming your neck can cope with the CRT helmet and the semiportable backpack processor, it's all matte-shaded geometric shapes at 15fps.

I've posted about how I tried 'OK Google, turn on Do Not Disturb' before. I tried again just now and:

Excuse the Twilight piss filter. Yes, DND is already on, but to be honest the outcome just damns the idea of a 'smart assistant' even more.

That is most definitely coming to Assistant in the near future as that is exactly the kind of thing Bixby does.

I tried it out for a bit and Bixby complements Google nicely. I'm not in the habit of talking to my phone though so its usefulness is limited to me, but for someone who does it's a nice combination.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spincube posted:

In the example I posted, there's three main context clues I can think of that should have been taken into account, in no particular order:
  • DND is an OS function with an API
  • DND is currently automatically toggled 'on' (maybe %user% means 'turn DND off'?)
  • The query came from Android OS on 6P hardware
but instead it dumped the query straight into a Google search, and came back with results detailing how to turn on DND on an OS that I'm not using on hardware I'm not using. The 'smart responses,' also apparently based on Google's super-AI, aren't so useful either.

Which brings me back to my previous point: although I'm happy for Assistant to 'ping' when it's time to leave for an appointment in my calendar, or for it to warn that it's raining before I go to work - useful, actionable data based on information I voluntarily and knowingly fed into Google in the first place - their flagship AI/deep learning software is useless, unless you change to meet its arbitrary needs - thus defeating the object of a 'smart assistant' that 'you just talk to'.

Again, I'm not sure that not supporting every use case means that the thing is useless.

Yes, it's not good that you have to remember the things that is can do and on top of that you have to remember which devices can do what things.

It's certainly not the ideal experience. I just don't see how that makes it a not useful experience.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bryter posted:

The Android Thread - I talk more to Google in a typical day than I do to any other single human

I don't think this is that extraordinary. Most people type into Google rather than speak to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you take into account the typing part this holds true for vast amounts of not-nerdy, normal people with fine and good social lives.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really get much use out of the feed or out of voice control or out of Assistant. Other people clearly do.

I'm not wrong, and neither are you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wrong, bitch. If you disagree with me you are fuckin scum and objectively incorrect and I hope you die

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Wrong, bitch. If you disagree with me you are fuckin scum and objectively incorrect and I hope you die

I disagree.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

docbeard posted:

I don't really get much use out of the feed or out of voice control or out of Assistant. Other people clearly do.

I'm not wrong, and neither are you.

I don't think anyone is saying anyone is wrong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'll kill you!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Now that I'm on the Moto G5+ train, who makes a good screen protector and what's a good brand for cases besides diztronic? Does anyone make a clear one that won't fade to gross yellow quickly?

My wide said she found a bunch of nice cases online when she looked but not sure exactly what that means.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

spincube posted:

To be fair: absent of any context, their frustration is valid. It's not right that a feature was whisked away like that: it assumes all sorts of things on the part of the user, like oh sure they read about it days in advance on their usual tech blogs and can seamlessly transition to something else because they know what NFC unlocking is and how they use it (if they use it), they know how it'll affect their usage and enjoyment of their device, and they know (if applicable) how to mitigate losing the feature.

I mean, pearl-clutching aside, someone really should start holding Google's feet in the fire more regarding their customer service. Beyond having their Settings chat app telling you how to adjust the screen brightness, or to reboot the device if it feels like it's slow.

(I didn't use the feature in question, feel free to correct me if there was indeed a :siren:THIS IS GOING AWAY:siren: advance message or something.)

It's a feature so rarely used even the turbo nerds of /r/Android didn't notice for at least a month that it was gone, until the guy made is big effortpost about it. Google saying it was a absolute edge case seems justified in this case. But yes, they at least should give out notice in time.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Is the thread title still accurate? I smashed my 6p. I know the Pixel 2 is out next week but it is gonna be too dear I think.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Again, I'm not sure that not supporting every use case means that the thing is useless.

Yes, it's not good that you have to remember the things that is can do and on top of that you have to remember which devices can do what things.

It's certainly not the ideal experience. I just don't see how that makes it a not useful experience.

It's not a useful experience because it should be so simple: if I turn on my phone's assistant and say 'turn on do not disturb', it should be obvious given the context that I'm talking about a function on the device in my hand, and not that I want to learn how to toggle DND on a device I don't have on an OS I'm not currently using. That would be smart. Even failing gracefully if DND isn't toggleable from within Assistant (if so, why?), but pointing to relevant Web searches for how the user can toggle Android's DND mode themselves - that wouldn't be as smart, but it'd still be better than the outcome I'm currently getting.

Meanwhile, Assistant has all kinds of smart-alec quips to respond to 'do you have any brothers and sisters', 'how old are you', 'when were you created', and so on. I know development isn't a zero-sum game, and it's interesting as a 'wow! ha ha! look at the funny thing my phone said, decrepit grandparents!' feature, but oh God I feel so stupid typing this out I don't want to be friends with my phone, I don't want 'witty banter' with my 'sidekick', I want it to do the stuff I ask it to.

Google obviously weren't thinking of 'user wants to toggle DND' as an Assistant use case scenario, but it will happily action 'OK Google, turn the lights off in the kitchen' so it toggles the smart bulbs you bought, installed, and linked to your Google account. Right there are all kinds of assumptions made by Google about their users; and, likewise, I'm assuming from their priorities that Google are an aloof, out-of-touch company run by techbros who value 'I F*cking Love Technology' without caring how people actually use their products.

Blue Train posted:

So nice to have a Google representative in this very thread :v:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LastInLine posted:

I consider the feed to be my most used and most valuable feature of Android. The current UI is terrible but I use it often.

I also prefer IPS to OLED because dark UIs are horrible and I prefer everything to be as bright as possible.

Ouch, you have precisely the opposite opinions to me on both counts.

You might have weird eyes if you really prefer a bright white screen in a dimly lit room.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does anyone have experience going between a Galaxy S8 and a Pixel? Just wondering about the speed and fluidity difference in the UX. I know the Pixel is unmatched really but the Pixel 2 leaks have me underwhelmed in terms of hardware. My contract is up in March and I'm thinking if the S8 is nice and nippy I could be tempted away from Pixel to an S9, despite the smooth smooth sensuality of the Pixel UX.

Or I might go for the Pixel 2 XL which they seem to have made an actual effort with.

Also, will this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016LPMFUA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4Vn0zbKKV1A67
charge a Moto G4 at full speed?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 1, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Depending on where you are, the Pixel 2 XL is almost double the price of an S8.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Starting to get quite a few Android feed notifications about TV shows that I can't turn off. It started with the single one a few others got yesterday and I just woke up to two more. Any suggestions? There's no toggle for entertainment or TV in my feed settings.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ironically, the two I got this morning were actually useful. Bob's Burgers is back!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spincube posted:

It's not a useful experience because it should be so simple: if I turn on my phone's assistant and say 'turn on do not disturb', it should be obvious given the context that I'm talking about a function on the device in my hand, and not that I want to learn how to toggle DND on a device I don't have on an OS I'm not currently using. That would be smart. Even failing gracefully if DND isn't toggleable from within Assistant (if so, why?), but pointing to relevant Web searches for how the user can toggle Android's DND mode themselves - that wouldn't be as smart, but it'd still be better than the outcome I'm currently getting.

Right, I don't think anyone would disagree that the behavior you're describing is good or ideal or not-terrible. What I'm disagreeing with is that this means Assistant is bad or worthless in some general manner...it does plenty of other useful things. I mean, maybe none of the other things it does is useful to you, but I don't think that is equivalent to a fully-general argument that Assistant is bad in some way.

spincube posted:

Meanwhile, Assistant has all kinds of smart-alec quips to respond to 'do you have any brothers and sisters', 'how old are you', 'when were you created', and so on. I know development isn't a zero-sum game, and it's interesting as a 'wow! ha ha! look at the funny thing my phone said, decrepit grandparents!' feature, but oh God I feel so stupid typing this out I don't want to be friends with my phone, I don't want 'witty banter' with my 'sidekick', I want it to do the stuff I ask it to.

I mean...one basically has nothing to do with the other. It takes like $50 bucks of developer time to add some weird quip. It takes millions-to-billions of dollars of developer time to develop a fully conversational AI assistant that can understand every single thing you want it to do.

spincube posted:

Google obviously weren't thinking of 'user wants to toggle DND' as an Assistant use case scenario,

I don't think this is obvious at all. All software has to be shipped at some point and it never has all features and capabilities that the developers want it to have.

spincube posted:

but it will happily action 'OK Google, turn the lights off in the kitchen' so it toggles the smart bulbs you bought, installed, and linked to your Google account. Right there are all kinds of assumptions made by Google about their users; and, likewise, I'm assuming from their priorities that Google are an aloof, out-of-touch company run by techbros who value 'I F*cking Love Technology' without caring how people actually use their products.

Low-hanging fruits are the first to be addressed. If a system that you specifically link to your Assistant has a cost-of-implementation of $1, a fully-general system that can automatically discover smart devices on your home and reverse engineer their radio protocol, their network protocol, their security protocol, and figure out what the devices can do has a cost-of-implementation of $100,000,000,000.

You could shortcut that higher price by developing and selling all the smart home devices yourself, but, in a theme you'll surely recognize by the end of this post...resources are finite.

Google would prefer to increment towards a fully-general AI system that can turn off your DnD, rather than specifically code a bajilllion special cases. Now, of course, they have special-cased different things, but being as data-driven as they already are I can only imagine they have prioritized high-impact things. You seem to be arguing that turning of DnD with your voice is something that would be a widely-desired thing. Google is the only one with the data to answer that, but I can point out that I've only wanted to manually turn off DnD a handful of times since its ever been a feature to turn off.

This is how technology advances. You start small and then increment.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 1, 2017

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

seravid posted:

Does anyone use Daydream? I bought a Cardboard a couple years ago and got 5 minutes of use out of it; wondering what - if anything - could justify the cost of the Daydream headset now that I have a compatible phone.

I could totally see myself using Netflix VR when I'm in my hotel room on a business trip. Beyond that, I have no idea.

I haven't taken the plunge yet either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep talking and nobody explodes is a great party game to use with VR.