Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wish they would have had schematics for more types of crossbow darts for later in the game.

A type of explosive dart to give non-powers players a weapon version of kinetic blast would have been appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You also pick up schematics to build the Q-Beam at some point I think?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Oh right, I forgot about Josh Dalton's whole deal. Thing with that is, it means spending more time in GUTS, which is not a good time even when you are using Neuromods.

Also one qbeam external, in the middle of the station interior right where you scan the coral

You almost don't need the qbeam for a no needles run, if you savor a lot of things you can get by on shotgun/etc alone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes the non-upgraded q-beam isn't great. For my no needles run I just stunned and shotgunned everything, which worked great

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

QuarkJets posted:

Yes the non-upgraded q-beam isn't great. For my no needles run I just stunned and shotgunned everything, which worked great

the hardest part imho is activating the reactor. Since you don't have any repair skills, you can't fix the elevator, so you have to do a glue gun stairway combined with creative jumping all the way back up while dodging the technopath and the turrets he picked up. lotta savescumming

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rangpur posted:

See, I'd probably follow that sub-plot to a point, if only so I could get my hands on the Q-Beam. Without using any Neuromods, I think the only one available is inside the freezer.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from using the stun gun (or a pistol) on him as soon as the freezer is unlocked! :v:

There's a Q-beam on a body in space which you can reach as soon as you go out for the first time. It's in sort of an interior area with some corrupted operators nearby, although I don't remember anything more specific than that.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Honestly I don't mind the guts. It has some of the best music of the game imho.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ladron posted:

the hardest part imho is activating the reactor. Since you don't have any repair skills, you can't fix the elevator, so you have to do a glue gun stairway combined with creative jumping all the way back up while dodging the technopath and the turrets he picked up. lotta savescumming

The double jump makes that part way easier

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
There's a Q Beam in a crate behind one of the locked gates in the cargo bay. No needles required and you walk right by it anyway.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jibo posted:

There's a Q Beam in a crate behind one of the locked gates in the cargo bay. No needles required and you walk right by it anyway.

speaking of this area, where is the card key for the door right next to these locked gate storage areas? I never found it on any of my runs and would just jump up to the 2nd floor and enter that way..

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The workstation nearby has a utility which unlocks the gates. You can find the password underneath some of the junk on the desk. It's 'ReployerReployer' because that workstation belonged to the guy who's obsessed with finding out what the Reployers actually do. Of all the dead NPCs, he's my favorite. :allears:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I just started playing the full game and once I started playing it like the title means something it really clicked for me. Since at the moment I'm relatively powerless (using a ps4 controller doesn't help) I'm acting more like, uh, prey; running and hiding from anything more than a couple mimics attacking me at once, using guerilla tactics to make it through tough encounters, and just biding my time and accumulating resources. It's awesome and tense Love this game!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

So I made a beeline for Necropsy, thinking it would benefit me in the long run to collect more exotic matter. Was that smart, or did I waste 4 neuromods?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

So I made a beeline for Necropsy, thinking it would benefit me in the long run to collect more exotic matter. Was that smart, or did I waste 4 neuromods?
You'll get so many Neuromods it doesn't matter but I appreciated the exotic matter boosts early on. I did the same thing and didn't regret it at all.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

You'll get so many Neuromods it doesn't matter but I appreciated the exotic matter boosts early on. I did the same thing and didn't regret it at all.

awesome!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you're sticking to one species skill (human or Typhon) you probably wouldn't need it at all but if you want to get a lot of skills from every tech tree in the game, or I guess if you just want to get skills really quickly, you would definitely want it early on because there aren't enough free neuromods to do that effectively.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you put the recycle ability first (gotta wait to get to your office for enough mods) that will Jumpstart you as much and provide consistent bonuses throughout. But yeah, either way you'll have enough mods to get 70% of everything unlocked by the end if you want.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Rangpur posted:

The workstation nearby has a utility which unlocks the gates. You can find the password underneath some of the junk on the desk. It's 'ReployerReployer' because that workstation belonged to the guy who's obsessed with finding out what the Reployers actually do. Of all the dead NPCs, he's my favorite. :allears:

yeah, I meant like the door that leads to the other room, that you need a keycard for

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I honestly can't picture the door you're talking about, although I don't doubt it's there. You get so many keycards off so many corpses over the course of the game that I could well have found it, and opened the door without even realizing it was meant to be locked.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

In life support I spent 10 minutes shooting at the computer inside the security booth trying to access the map. I did it. 27 bolts later.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

In life support I spent 10 minutes shooting at the computer inside the security booth trying to access the map. I did it. 27 bolts later.

try carefully examining/exploring the bathroom right next to the security booth. You may need leverage or a recycler grenade...

Actually having fun on my no needles run. Since you get so many weapon kits you can blow them on a pistol, then again when you get the golden gun. Qbeam is not worth the inventory space but unlike a typhon run, the bolt caster is for the various switches you have to hit to explore fully.

I even saved more people this run than my original since I had fewer weird bugs with crew quarters and the mind controlled humans.

I still don't know why I am picking up everything and recycling it, but not making anything besides bare minimum shotgun/pistol ammo. Nor why I'm recycling spare parts/psi hypos, but not the neuromods. I guess I wanna see how high you can stack the neuromods in your inventory before a second stack...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So you can do a save right before the end and then quickly eedo the last chapter as both ultra typhon and mega human

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I thought a human skills only playthough would be boring compared to a typhon only run, but I've been quite enjoying it since I know now which areas you revisit the most so I've been sitting up a ton of reinforced turrets.

Areas that are normally a cluster gently caress like the main lobby are now fun to come back to since as soon as you load into the area, a half-dozen or more turrets just start going off like firecrackers. It's oddly satisfying.

But yeah, the Q-Beam is an all or nothing weapon when it comes to upgrades. Fully kitted out it is quite powerful, and if you use the lures to clump together enemies you can get a nice chain reaction going.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Thanks for the advice guys, it really drops in difficulty once you can get a few good powers, and again when you unlock the neuromod license; by the end of the game I must have spent about 250 neuromods. At one point I just blew through the four uses of the Nightmare signal by chain summoning him and killing him, he's not really scary on Normal once you know how he works. Great game though, sad it didn't get more attention, I've really enjoyed the last few Bethesda/Arkane offerings.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Completed my first play-through yesterday. Can't wait to start again but gotta take a week off cuz my dreams were gettin weird :psyduck: I'm one of those who worship at the feet of SS2 and this was pretty damned cool and checked a buncha those boxes. No moments really stacked up to the Shodan reveal (although when Talos 1 starts getting eaten got pretty close), but drat, everything ruled.
  • The nightmare was cool even though it got stuck on stuff a lot. Really scary early in the game but near the end, it was really fun to fight in a "holy poo poo that psychoshock better cool down or I'm screwed" kinda way.
  • Mobility 1 and 2 are soooooooooo goddamned useful especially later on in the game when the lobby becomes a total zone of gently caress Me In The Butt and I don't really wanna waste ammo on technopaths
  • I was spending neuromods on stuff that I needed when I needed 'em. For instance, sitting on 12 neuromods and coming up against a door that requires Hack 3 when I'm at Hack 1. Seemed to go okay, though obviously refinement and a clear porpoise would have helped.
  • I was let down by the "I keep having this dream" ending before the credits but then the whole exam room thing happened and I felt wayyyy better.
  • I could not decide how to end the game so I installed the nullwave device (and never even saw the Apex Typhon? was that bugged?) AND activated both arming keys and headed to the bridge. I tried activating the nullwave but I guess one option overrides the other. It decided for me I guess! I also destroyed Talos 1 and ran to the shuttle and escaped, so that was a thing.
  • Using the nerf crossbow was awesome, especially on cystoids in microgravity since it goes in a straight line and they all blow up.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's such a tough thing to match up to the Shodan reveal in SS2, I don't blame Prey for not trying. I played SS2 for the first time about four years ago and even then with the graphics and sound so outdated at the time it was still just a spectacular scene.

There's a room with most of the walls made of Looking Glass where it asks you to calibrate it by pressing on the glass in certain areas- I think most of you will know where I am talking about- and I half expected Arkane to try something like that there, but they went a very different route for that room. Still scared the poo poo out of me though.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the Looking Glass effects and I think you could do more with it. It reminds me of some of the portal shenanigans in old Prey. There was a maze of "silent" portals where you could briefly see and shoot yourself going past an intersection.

scuz posted:

and never even saw the Apex Typhon? was that bugged?)

The entire entity outside the station in the endgame was the Apex Typhon. There are a few opportunities to scan it with the Psychoscope, but it doesn't give you any research. It just puts you at death's door with the Fear debuff and zero psi energy, as your attempt to comprehend the giant creature shatters your mind.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

scuz posted:

a clear porpoise would have helped.

Here you go

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

The entire entity outside the station in the endgame was the Apex Typhon. There are a few opportunities to scan it with the Psychoscope, but it doesn't give you any research. It just puts you at death's door with the Fear debuff and zero psi energy, as your attempt to comprehend the giant creature shatters your mind.
Well sheesh that explains it. The very first scope chip I picked up and never uninstalled was the one that grants resistance to fear so while I DID scan all 3 of them, nothing happened. Meh.

My man!

scuz fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 4, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

Well sheesh that explains it. The very first scope chip I picked up and never uninstalled was the one that grants resistance to fear so while I DID scan all 3 of them, nothing happened. Meh.

I had the anti-fear chip too, and I don't think I ever took it out, but it still blew my mind when I tried to scan the thing outside the window. The tendrils have separate research.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

I had the anti-fear chip too, and I don't think I ever took it out, but it still blew my mind when I tried to scan the thing outside the window. The tendrils have separate research.
:thunk: I'm dumb, I only scanned the tendrils. I also lied about taking a week off, I started a no-typhon-mods run last night and this time I'm gonna try and complete every side-quest that I come across instead of just kinda meh-ing my way around.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

double nine posted:

you can get to him first time you exit hardware labs, no problem. It's how I made the no-powers run bearable. From the power plant airlock exit, if "up" is "towards arboretum" turn right 90° (away from the station) he should be about half-way towards the next spinning shield thing, beyond the radiation.

here's a picture of the station from his body. Just fly backwards and try to match the view of the station with the one in the picture

https://imgur.com/a/G6JYm

The best way I remember it is "out the shuttle bay airlock and 90 degrees right"

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I ran into a weird graphic glitch today where the shotgun stopped rendering in game for a little bit, yet the shotgun shell still did.

So for a couple of shots I was just holding a shotgun shell in my hand that would disappear when fired, then "reloaded" by putting a new shell in the palm of Morgan's hand.

It was pretty cool looking actually and it would have made a fun typhon ability to be able to fire shells and pistol bullets without needing a weapon.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Have they fixed the bug where you sometimes lose inventory items on area transitions yet?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Didn't notice any of that during my playthrough so I assume so?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of area transitions I wish you could take carried objects through loading screens. For no other reason than I was kind of expecting to be able to choose to destroy the station, knock Alex out, then drag him with me to the shuttle..

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Speaking of area transitions I wish you could take carried objects through loading screens. For no other reason than I was kind of expecting to be able to choose to destroy the station, knock Alex out, then drag him with me to the shuttle..

i want that too but only so i can stuff everything i cant fit in my inventory into a suitcase and carry that around the station

Vakal
May 11, 2008
How do you remove psi powers from the quick choose menu anyway?

With weapons it's easy, just right click on them in the inventory and choose unfavorite, but for the powers I can't find an equivalent method.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KPC_Mammon posted:

Have they fixed the bug where you sometimes lose inventory items on area transitions yet?

Yeah, I believe this was fixed awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cuntman.net posted:

i want that too but only so i can stuff everything i cant fit in my inventory into a suitcase and carry that around the station
That would've been great, but I'd prefer to have a functional fast travel system that isn't "do an EVA lol"