Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I liked doing big fancy antennas on mine. You can find commander specific heads on sites like chapterhouse, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Should I pick up a Devilfish and a Commander to spice things up? I was thinking of doing Breacher teams with the Devilfish and using Commanders as support.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

How decent of a deal is this? 15 for 5 of the old Chaos terminators, I was thinking of paint stripping these and repainting them, they're metal models

Go for it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
What in the gently caress, those Guard strategems are so cool I may need to turn my pile of unfinished models into some kind of Imperial army. :backtowork:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

How decent of a deal is this? 15 for 5 of the old Chaos terminators, I was thinking of paint stripping these and repainting them, they're metal models

If they're the old metals they're tiny compared to the modern plastics. Like genuinely dinky, they used to come on 25mm bases and looked comfortable.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Big Wall of text - I played my first game of 8th yesterday.

My list was a spearhead detachment:

HQ:
2 Big Meks (one with a KFF)

Elites:
1 Mek, 1 Waaagh Banner Nob

Heavy:
1 Gorkanought
1 Meka Dread (Ratler gun and KFF)
2 Deff Dreads (all with big shootas)
3 Killa-Kans (all with big shootas)
3 Killa-Kans (all with big shootas)

His list was a battalion detachment with a spearhead detachment:

HQ
1 Avatar
2 Warlocks

Troops
3x dire avengers with exarchs

Dedicated Transports
3x Wave Serpents

Heavy
2 Wraithlords with dual bright lances
Dark Reapers

We played tactical escalation on Hammer and Anvil. The 6 objective markers were evenly spread - 2 on the right and left sides in each table third. I deployed in a narrow column as far forward as possible. He deployed his dark reapers and wave serpents on the flanks back in his deployment to keep them within 36 inches, his Wraithlords and Avatar stood to the front but 24" away.

First 5 turns
The first 5 turns involved my army lurching straight forward pinging shots off of his Wraithlords in an ineffectual manner. His army walked backwards trying to stay out of charge range. Not one of his units went beyond his deployment zone. Over the first 5 turns of shooting I killed 1 Wraithlord..
He had targeted the Kans and Dreads first, before he switched to the bigger, stompier, angrier, killinger, smashinger Gorkanought and Meka Dread. His Dark Reapers mostly missed but the bright lances did a huge amount of damage. His Wave Serpents were probably his MVPs with a large number of S6 shots each turn stripping multiple wounds away with vlume of fire. He killed a unit of Killa-Kans, a Deff Dread and the Gorkanought. As an aside, my Meks did no damage but returned a huge number of wounds to the walkers.

Had the game ended on turn 5, he would have won 6 VPs to 4. He had scored first blood(1), Master the Warp(1), secure objective 6(1) Defend Objective 1(2), and Kill a Unit with Shooting(1). I had secured Objective 3(1) and scored 3 from Area Denial. To sum up the first 5 turns, I had half an army left and he had everything bar a Wraithlord with his Dire Avengers not having left their Wave Serpents.

It went to turn 6.

Turn 6 or "all 'bout dem 'jectives"
By the start of turn 6 he had no table room left into which he could to retreat; however, due to his shooting, I had little left with which I could pursue him.

He finally disembarked from the Wave Serpents so his Dire Avengers could blade storm. His shooting dropped the Meka-Dread to 3 wounds. Realising he didn't want to be charged, he assaulted my remaining Deff Dredd with his Wraithlord and stripped 3 wounds away -my Dread did 9 wounds in return. His Avatar charged and killed the Meka-Dread, netting him 2 VPs for Big Game Hunter.

In my turn, shooting dropped his Avatar to 6 wounds. I charged 2 Killa Kans into his Avatar and 1 charged into his Wraithlord. Due to the Waagh banner and an incredible amount of luck, the 2 Kans killed his Avatar, netting me 1 VP for Slay the Warlord and Kingslayer which provided 2 further VPs. The other Kan stripped the final wound from his Wraithlord allowing me to consolidate onto Objective 1 for a VP. However, due to splitting up my other models, I managed to snag objective 5 for a VP; I scored 2 VPs for Supremacy and 3 VPs for Behind Enemy Lines. In total I scored 10 VP on turn 6.

The game went to turn 7 and my opponent conceded after he drew no objectives he could achieve and he didn't table me with shooting. The final tally was 14-8 to the Orks, although I had 1/3 of my army left with him retaining 2/3.

In summary:

My MVPs were the Big Meks, they did no damage and made 1 shot an an enemy in anger. However, they returned a Deff Dread from 2 wounds remaining to full health (twice) and probably added 6+ wounds back to both Meka Dread and Gorkanought. This meant I could push him back to his short board edge and allowed me free-rein over all objectives bar 1. my army lacked any decent anti-armour shooting which was a costly mistake. His mistake was to keep dropping back in uniform. He could have screened his army with the Dire Avengers, who were otherwise useless. He failed to flank which prevented his army drawing mine apart. He would have won had I not been very lucky with objectives and assault on turn 6. But, who cares, as Orks Win Again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

InevitableCheese posted:

Just bought in on a Tau Start Collecting box as my first army. Have I made a mistake?

Start Collecting boxes are, in general, still really good and despite some being hit with some oddities (Orks, Craftworld) its still a great bang for the buck.

Tau are great if you like shooting things and never ever getting into melee combat ever.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

When assembling these, do I just do whatever I like, and then declare Striker/Breacher at Battle time? Or do I need to build these a certain way?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

InevitableCheese posted:

When assembling these, do I just do whatever I like, and then declare Striker/Breacher at Battle time? Or do I need to build these a certain way?

You need to build them a certain way...with weapon loadouts whether or not people will be a stickler is going to depend on the person (Called "What you see is what you get" or WYSIWYG)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Generally speaking, as long as you aren't using breacher and striker teams in one army then most people won't care as long as you are clear up front. If you are using both units then make sure they are built to represent their actual units.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

InevitableCheese posted:

Read the instructions in the box. They'll show you if there's anything specific you need to make them one or the other.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

InevitableCheese posted:

Should I pick up a Devilfish and a Commander to spice things up? I was thinking of doing Breacher teams with the Devilfish and using Commanders as support.

Devilfish are great (but overcosted) transports and Breachers are probably the most points efficient infantry in the game if you can get them into range, when 80 points gets you 20 shots at S6 AP-2, and bringing along any kind of markerlight support at all gets you hitting on 4+ rerolling 1s. Having a lot of markerlight support means hitting on 3+ rerolling 1s and ignoring the penalty to advancing and shooting. It's nasty, and will (on average) wipe most of an entire squad of marines off the board.

That and Devilfish look cool as gently caress.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

InevitableCheese posted:

Strikers have Pulse Rifles or Pulse Carbines. Breachers have Pulse Blasters.

If you're likely to be playing in an environment that cares about WYSIWYG (GW stores, pick up games against public in your FLGS, tournies, etc.) you should use the correct loadouts.

Otherwise check with your friends / local game group what their policy on proxies/counts-as is.

Personally, since you're using the official models (and those units can have mixed loadouts) I'd err on the side of correctness and go with the correct guns anyway.

If you really want to swap their roles around you should be able to magnetise/blutack them.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 1, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

On the topic of wysiwyg, I bought some chosen from the Dark Vengeance set that I've been running as two bolters, power axe, power fist, and lightning claws. Recently I've ran them as all plasma and I like it a lot more than rolling all types of melee weapons.

My question is, what are some cool models/alternatives I can use to model a new unit that actually has plasma guns? I could just get some chaos marines and just model them with plasma guns, but I was wondering if I was overlooking something unique.

Edit Devilfish chat:

I usually run my fish as a missile boat. Powerslide it in, dump out breachers, then let it shoot until it dies.

I modeled mine with some old Gundam parts, it's kind of hard to see in the photo.

Here is when it was unfinished:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 1, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Game 1 was against pre heresy "World Eaters" using Iron Hands rules

I immediately knew you had a bad time in that game at this point in the sentence

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Edit Devilfish chat:

I usually run my fish as a missile boat. Powerslide it in, dump out breachers, then let it shoot until it dies.

I modeled mine with some old Gundam parts, it's kind of hard to see in the photo.

Looks sick, good job.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

I immediately knew you had a bad time in that game at this point in the sentence

I did find it funny that he decided to do this then picked one of the worst CTs but yeah.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Corrode posted:

I did find it funny that he decided to do this then picked one of the worst CTs but yeah.

The dude's been running those things as IH since 6th, I think it's just habit by now.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Which fractional (i.e. 1/72) scale is closest to 40k's scale?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

1:56

This will lead you to miniatures that do not look like 40k humans at all, because 40k human proportions are wacky.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

These guys seem to be missing their trophy racks (you can see the slots next to the shoulders where the racks would sit), so you'd need to improvise something to fill those gaps. Though looking again, it seems like they've stuck some modelling putty in there on some of them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It would work if you want to use realistic tank models for Guard for example. For dudes on foot, not so much, 40k has some real wonky proportions, so for that it's 28mm heroic scale or bust.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

My son has 10 tusk termies and can't even give them away.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

goose willis posted:

As above: 1/56. And as above, the humans are "heroic" and have big proportions. Bolt Action has a similar problem so many gamers us 1/48 scale vehicles.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So I've been really unsure about how the Ion Rifle matches up to the Rail Rifle for Pathfinders, on account of how even though the Rail Rifle looks pretty good against basically everything the Ion Rifle is only 7 points to the Rail Rifle's 22.

Turns out the Rail Rifle is actually, on average, easily three times better than an Ion Rifle. Turns out AP-4 is much, muuuuuuuuch better than an extra two S.

Why do Ion Rifles such so much?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

OhDearGodNo posted:

My son has 10 tusk termies and can't even give them away.

Tell me more

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Can hellforged Levs take dual butchers? I thought it was one.

They made it so you can double up in the errata. The loving things are as point efficient for anti tank as las cannons on top of being the ultimate anti infantry gun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

The dude's been running those things as IH since 6th, I think it's just habit by now.

Yeah, if I could just go ahead and not play 4/6 of the people I played yesterday ever again that'd be pretty swell. I try to network like a motherfucker and it was pretty obvious how I felt seeing how I only handed out 4 BADCAST BIZCARDS over the day, and half of those were to folks I didn't play. That dude's list was just horribly unfun, and the models looked awful. He wasn't a dick or anything but he wasn't personable really.

And yeah this was at Alpha Omega, I'm friends with the folks who run it. I like the store and it's got some good terrain but store gamers are store gamers at the end of the day.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

So I've been really unsure about how the Ion Rifle matches up to the Rail Rifle for Pathfinders, on account of how even though the Rail Rifle looks pretty good against basically everything the Ion Rifle is only 7 points to the Rail Rifle's 22.

Turns out the Rail Rifle is actually, on average, easily three times better than an Ion Rifle. Turns out AP-4 is much, muuuuuuuuch better than an extra two S.

Why do Ion Rifles such so much?

The thought I can see is that maybe having a expensive gun on a GEQ is risky? Honestly many things in the internal balance of Tau makes no sense, there is the ever present example of the burst cannon for example: why would you ever choose to take two burst cannons on a HH/DF for 20 when you can get two drones for 16 and have the same fire power with extra utility options? I could go on for hours on the weird poo poo going in tau index.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, for sure. Either Gun Drones need to be 11 points or a Burst Cannon needs to be 7 (hint: it's this one), but there's definitely a disconnect there.

It's just so much more bizarre with the Ion/Rail Rifle divide, though, where the Rail Rifle is almost three times better at literally everything and also can't accidentally kill its user and on top of that doesn't become a Heavy weapon when it tries to get more shots at range (that can also just flat out not happen).

Incidentally, Rail Rifles own bones.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

Yeah, for sure. Either Gun Drones need to be 11 points or a Burst Cannon needs to be 7 (hint: it's this one), but there's definitely a disconnect there.

It's just so much more bizarre with the Ion/Rail Rifle divide, though, where the Rail Rifle is almost three times better at literally everything and also can't accidentally kill its user and on top of that doesn't become a Heavy weapon when it tries to get more shots at range (that can also just flat out not happen).

Incidentally, Rail Rifles own bones.

Most of the time if you have an option between ion weapons and something else, you take the something else, the overcharge normally is not worth it with such low ap and damage. I am expecting gun drones to get more expensive along with the commander because they are both too good at everything, but unless this is accompanied with other buffs Tau are screwed.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I bought the Servo Haulers to spice up my gaming table, and I think the rusted brown metals look totally rad. Anyone know how to achieve this effect?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Cyclic Ion Blaster is fine as an option on a Commander if you don't want to Fusion Blaster cheese it up, because the supercharge version stays Assault and goes to D3 damage. The AP is... woof, though.

Heavy Rail Rifles need to get several points cheaper, Burst Cannons should probably still be less expensive, Crisis Suits need to be a good amount cheaper, all manner of generic drone need to get more expensive, Commanders should probably be more expensive, and Riptides need to be significantly less expensive. They're 400+ points kitted out, and let me tell you how poorly they stack up to literally anything else that's 400 points (it's not good, at all).

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
A question for anyone working on a Mortarion - build him first, or paint in sub-assemblies? Seems like a lot of the armour will be tough to get to with the cloak in place, but on the other hand the cloak apparently ought to go on very early in the process, so there'd be a nightmarish number of bits to paint separately.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

How do people build their Hellforged Contemptors?

I have a pair on the way and was thinking about magnetizing them, but on the other hand it looks like you might pretty much always want to run them with Kheres or Butcher cannon and fist. The extra attack for two melee weapons seems less useful than having a better gun.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
What models are people using for Acolytes? They have so many weapons options that don't fit any of the actual "Acolyte" models - is it easier to just grab a guard model with the appropriate special weapon than trying to remember that "the guy with the torch has a plasma gun" or whatever?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Galaspar posted:

A question for anyone working on a Mortarion - build him first, or paint in sub-assemblies? Seems like a lot of the armour will be tough to get to with the cloak in place, but on the other hand the cloak apparently ought to go on very early in the process, so there'd be a nightmarish number of bits to paint separately.

I would wait for the Duncan Morty video. It'll break it down and some of the big stuff he has previously broken down into sub assemblies.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Do we know there's one coming? I would have expected it already.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
If I recall, someone talked to him at Nova and he said he was working on his test model.

Bonus fun nova-duncan bit, he included his Magnus that he painted in the video in the charity raffle. I meant to spend some $ on it but forgot, which was fine since I had to fly back and had no way of easily doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
According to Warham Community, the multi-part Plague Marines come in boxes of 7, rather than 5 or 10.

On one hand, yay flavour but goddamn that's an inconvient number for bulking out your ranks.