Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just like the Droid army theme is a riff on the nazi the theme from last crusade. Still different enough that you can tell, unlike James Horner

holy poo poo your right. i mean it is Williams doing both. i assume your allowed to kinda just paste your own stuff together.

thrawn527 posted:

Most recent Battlefront was a disappointment, for sure. Very pretty, but absent of a lot of content, classes, and characters, made more confusing by that content being present in the games from over a decade ago. Including single player campaign. And yeah, Galactic Conquest was my favorite mode in Battlefront II.

This new Battlefront II coming out (again, gently caress this naming convention confusion) appears to have added most of that back in. Play across any era with classes and a poo poo ton of characters, play single player mode, space dogfights, all that poo poo. While still looking as pretty as the last one. It does not appear to have a Galactic Conquest mode (though that would be one nice surprise), but the most recent trailer sold me on playing it longer than a month, like I did with the last one.

I look forward to being disappointed again.

maybe. it has operations mode from battlefield 1 and arcade/bot modes and a single player campaign made by motive(jade raymonds team i believe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5T5dC24U6A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The score is a big part of my nostalgic feelings towards TPM. Just "Duel of the Fates" by itself was a big part of the hype machine for that film.

Must be the biggest hype machine any movie's had in the past 30 years. Maybe Batman '89 comes close but I'm basing that on what I've heard second-hand; I was born after that movie came out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

The score is a big part of my nostalgic feelings towards TPM. Just "Duel of the Fates" by itself was a big part of the hype machine for that film.

Must be the biggest hype machine any movie's had in the past 30 years. Maybe Batman '89 comes close but I'm basing that on what I've heard second-hand; I was born after that movie came out.

'89 Batman had a HUGE letter writing campaign about how Michael Keaton shouldn't have the role of Batman. Remember all the hate Ben Affleck got? It was like that times ten.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

Remember all the hate Ben Affleck got? It was like that times ten.

No? :confused:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I mostly remember expecting a bunch of hate I would have to defend against (I've always loved Affleck...well, he had a bad stretch there, but still), and a bunch of lame jokes about Matt Damon being Robin, but I was surprised by the lack of hate. Right after the announcement people seemed agnry for like 2 days, then it kind of disappeared in a wave of, "Well...I mean, it could work. He has the chin, and loves the comic...maybe...". And then pictures started coming out of him being loving huge now, and then the costume, and what little hate I still encountered disappeared. It was rather refreshing.

Then the movie came out and the internet lost their collective poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you want more Williams restyling his old music, just know that the main melody for Harry Potter is a remix of one of his tunes from Home Alone when Kevin is booby trapping the house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C_7vQDDFiY

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

I mostly remember expecting a bunch of hate I would have to defend against (I've always loved Affleck...well, he had a bad stretch there, but still), and a bunch of lame jokes about Matt Damon being Robin, but I was surprised by the lack of hate. Right after the announcement people seemed agnry for like 2 days, then it kind of disappeared in a wave of, "Well...I mean, it could work. He has the chin, and loves the comic...maybe...". And then pictures started coming out of him being loving huge now, and then the costume, and what little hate I still encountered disappeared. It was rather refreshing.

Then the movie came out and the internet lost their collective poo poo.

All I really remember is people making jokes about how Batman would have a Boston accent.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Confirmation bias then because I saw a ton of hate for Battfleck. And the requisite Boston jokes. He's honestly my favorite behind Keaton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Adam West the best.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Skoll posted:

Confirmation bias then because I saw a ton of hate for Battfleck. And the requisite Boston jokes. He's honestly my favorite behind Keaton.

No, I definitely remember the widespread hate for Affleck, too.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wheat Loaf posted:

The TPM score is excellent, and not just for Duel of the Fates. There's some great new themes, but there's also a lot of very memorable non-thematic cues (the escape from Naboo, the arrival on Tatooine, both establishing scenes of Coruscant, and the Jedi Council music to name a few). It feels familiar to Star Wars, but fresh and distinct from the OT scores, even if there's nothing quite as out of the box as in ROTS. I'd put it second in the saga, just after ESB's score (which is goddamn perfection).

TFA has some great thematic material, but all the incidental music and action cues feel kind of indistinguishable. I enjoy it, but it's in the middle of the pack.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 30, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only action music I can recall in TFA that isn't tied to a character theme (like Poe's motif or Kylo Ren and Rey) is the bit at the start of the Falcon chase scene, the DUN DUN DUNDundun DUN DUN DUNDundun bit with the trumpets.

That's still one hell of an action sequence and I appreciate that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Scherzo for X-Wings is a fun reworking of the OT themes. March of the Resistance really reminds me of the Nazi themes in Indy, and I can't work out if it's because it's just Williams doing martial stuff or if there's a deeper thematic meaning.

Lord Hydronium posted:

The TPM score is excellent, and not just for Duel of the Fates. There's some great new themes, but there's also a lot of very memorable non-thematic cues (the escape from Naboo, the arrival on Tatooine, both establishing scenes of Coruscant, and the Jedi Council music to name a few). It feels familiar to Star Wars, but fresh and distinct from the OT scores, even if there's nothing quite as out of the box as in ROTS. I'd put it second in the saga, just after ESB's score (which is goddamn perfection).
The upbeat version of Palaptine's theme at the end is one of my favourite bits of Star Wars music trivia (along with Han not having a theme of his own and Imperial March not being in Star Wars).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Adam West the best.

I have a soft spot for George Clooney's Bruce Wayne, but I've got a tie for Keaton and Affleck for first place.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Lord Hydronium posted:

TFA has some great thematic material, but all the incidental music and action cues feel kind of indistinguishable. I enjoy it, but it's in the middle of the pack.
Personally I think the best theme to come out of Ep1 was The Flag Parade at the setting-up of the podracing sequence. Williams did a good job at making it feel like the kind of music they might actually play at a event like that.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

holy poo poo your right. i mean it is Williams doing both. i assume your allowed to kinda just paste your own stuff together.

Theoretically, no--Williams doesn't own the scores for any of these movies, the studios do. But in practice it's so common for scores to just ape other scores that doing it to your own work is on the more creative end of the spectrum. The most recent Every Frame a Painting video (from over a year ago now :o) covers this in depth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which is why I'm really hopeful for the Last jedi score to be good. Apparently Williams has been allowed to work alongside the editing process to ensure the music is as synced with the footage as possible.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've been a casual fan of the EU--I read Heir to the Empire and the Bounty Hunter anthology (I really liked Boba Fett) as a kid, and made the mistake of trying to read the novels in chronological order so The Truce at Bakura put me off reading the rest. A few years back I read the first X-Wing book and liked it, and now I've been following the Marvel Star Wars comics which have been consistently good so far.

I went to the bookstore last weekend and was shocked to learn that Thrawn is now in the new canon. I haven't read any post-EU novels, which ones are good (also, which EU novels were good and unique)? The 40k thread mentioned James Luceno as pretty good in passing so I'm a little interested.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I've been a casual fan of the EU--I read Heir to the Empire and the Bounty Hunter anthology (I really liked Boba Fett) as a kid, and made the mistake of trying to read the novels in chronological order so The Truce at Bakura put me off reading the rest. A few years back I read the first X-Wing book and liked it, and now I've been following the Marvel Star Wars comics which have been consistently good so far.

I went to the bookstore last weekend and was shocked to learn that Thrawn is now in the new canon. I haven't read any post-EU novels, which ones are good (also, which EU novels were good and unique)? The 40k thread mentioned James Luceno as pretty good in passing so I'm a little interested.

unambiguously good eu books is really a fairly short list

everything by zahn, all of the x-wing books, the episode 3 novelization, darth plagueis

i'm honestly having trouble thinking of anything beyond those. the let's read thread will allow you to enjoy the bad books too though, without even needing to read them yourself

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jazerus posted:

unambiguously good eu books is really a fairly short list

everything by zahn, all of the x-wing books, the episode 3 novelization, darth plagueis

i'm honestly having trouble thinking of anything beyond those. the let's read thread will allow you to enjoy the bad books too though, without even needing to read them yourself
Also the Coruscant Nights books and anything by Matt Stover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schneider Heim posted:

I always liked Luceno as a writer - you might enjoy the two novels he did that bookended ROTS, Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, which form a sort of mini-trilogy with the ROTS novelisation. He also wrote Cloak of Deception, which is a thriller featuring Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan just before TPM and for a very long time was the only novel which took place before any of the movies.

However, a lot of his other stuff, like Millennium Falcon and Darth Plagueis, might be an acquired taste, because a lot of it relies heavily on references to existing EU material. It's never really obtrusive in a "if you haven't read that novel, you won't understand this one at all" fashion; he does it to try and make the universe feel bigger. But I know a lot of people find it a bit annoying.

One thing I would recommend reading is Luceno's Wookieepedia page because he's had an interesting life. :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Schneider Heim posted:

For new EU, I'll once again repost myself from earlier for recommendations with a few updates.

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray
Fantastic book, and should probably be your first entry point to the new EU. It's considered Young Adult, but in the same way things like Hunger Games is considered YA. And let's not kid ourselves, we're reading Star Wars books, nothing here is dark and gritty adult literature. It focuses on a young girl and boy when one enters the Empire and one the Rebellion, but try to maintain their connection. It takes place during the events of the original trilogy, and has them interacting or observing events from those films. It's widely considered (at least around here) to be the best the new EU has given so far.

Bloodline by Claudia Gray
Same author as above, and about Leia much closer in the timeline to TFA than I think any other book out yet. Heavy on politics, but done in a gripping way. I thought it was great, but definitely light on the PEW PEW.

Thrawn by Timothy Zahn
Obvious recommendation, but Zahn killed it with his return to the EU. A lot of fun exploring the rise of Thrawn through the Imperial ranks. And I listened to an interview with Zahn recently where he said, as far as his writing was concerned, he wrote it as if it could, in theory, lead into the original Thrawn trilogy. And that he knows that probably won't last due to canon, but it wrote it not contradicting anything he had written before. Also has some Rebels ties, but nothing that would make the book worse if you've never watched it.

Ahsoka by E.K. Johston
A drat good book, that explores a topic I've always wanted to read about, a former Jedi in the aftermath of Order 66. Trying to survive, moving from planet to planet to hide, while overcome at times with grief, survivor's guilt, and a lack of direction. It has the feel of an old style western, with a stranger with a mysterious past looking for work here and there, not trying to get involved with local disputes, but being pulled back in anyway. Plus some fun super early on Rebellion scenes.

Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp
Opinions on this book are hit or miss, but I really enjoyed it. It's a bit more Vader as a force of destruction, if you're into that kind of thing, and a look into the galaxy under the Empire.

A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller
Do you watch Rebels? If so, read this book. It's a fun, if someone forgettable, backstory for Kanan and Hera, and has a decent story involving Kessel. I liked it, but it's nothing ground breaking. If you don't watch Rebels, there's probably not much here for you.

Those are what I consider good so far. But since you mentioned Luceno...

Tarkin by James Luceno
This is a bad book. Do not read this book. It's billed as Tarkin, as he oversees the construction of the Death Star, putting down revolutionaries, but it keeps cutting back to boring moments of young Tarkin hunting or something. As in, "Tarkin listened to the man, but couldn't help being reminded of his youth when," and then boring flashback scene. Happens a lot. Bad book. That being said, some people in this thread enjoyed it, so they can post about what they got out of it.

Catalyst by James Luceno
Was pretty dull to me, like it felt like the author was told, "Get us to Rogue One, but don't color outside the box."

It's unfortunate, but I really haven't enjoyed Luceno's new EU efforts at all, yet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
As Tarkin listened to the man, he had a flashback to the day where he visited the local laundromat to spend twenty credits to clean gravy stains off his best tunic.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

Fantastic book, and should probably be your first entry point to the new EU.

Everybody in this thread (rightly) loves Lost Stars but I haven't seen much discussion of Leia: Princess of Alderaan yet. If you liked Lost Stars it's pretty close to more of the same. It's a coming-of-age story about Leia and her parents and the Rebellion but also a whole cohort of her buds in the Imperial Kids Legislature that feels a lot like the Academy stuff in LS. There's nothing quite as poignant as Thane-Ciena but it's definitely worth a read.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always liked Luceno as a writer - you might enjoy the two novels he did that bookended ROTS, Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, which form a sort of mini-trilogy with the ROTS novelisation. He also wrote Cloak of Deception, which is a thriller featuring Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan just before TPM and for a very long time was the only novel which took place before any of the movies.

However, a lot of his other stuff, like Millennium Falcon and Darth Plagueis, might be an acquired taste, because a lot of it relies heavily on references to existing EU material. It's never really obtrusive in a "if you haven't read that novel, you won't understand this one at all" fashion; he does it to try and make the universe feel bigger. But I know a lot of people find it a bit annoying.

One thing I would recommend reading is Luceno's Wookieepedia page because he's had an interesting life. :v:

darth plagueis is mostly an attempt at giving the contemporary sith a more solid backstory, showing the life and times of young palpatine, and making the phantom menace make more sense. which it succeeds very well at honestly

i'm not sure how much backstory you really need beyond the movies for any of that. maybe a few details won't really make an impact on you if you aren't a living wookieepedia but it's not a big deal. millennium falcon is very bad though, the peak of eu obsession with giving every person and object in the film a convoluted backstory

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 3, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megachile posted:

Everybody in this thread (rightly) loves Lost Stars but I haven't seen much discussion of Leia: Princess of Alderaan yet. If you liked Lost Stars it's pretty close to more of the same. It's a coming-of-age story about Leia and her parents and the Rebellion but also a whole cohort of her buds in the Imperial Kids Legislature that feels a lot like the Academy stuff in LS. There's nothing quite as poignant as Thane-Ciena but it's definitely worth a read.

Yeah, I just finished Ahsoka last week, and I plan to pick this one up next. I've heard good things, and Claudia Gray is basically a "must read" author for me after Lost Stars and Bloodline.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

(also, which EU novels were good and unique)

If you didn't know that Thrawn's canon, you probably haven't watched the Rebels TV series yet. That's where he was reintroduced, and it's decent. Star Wars has been dead to me for the longest time after Episode One, but now that Disney has made an end to the Lucas era, I've also been dipping my toes into the old EU, especially the pre-prequel period. A friend of mine had started the X-Wing miniatures game, which got me to pick up the old flight sims, and I've gone from there.

The Dark Empire comics aren't what I'd call good, but they came very early in the EU, so they deserve to be called influential. Likewise, the Tales of the Jedi comics set up pretty much all the background for the KotOR games.

The very early Han Solo books by Brian Daley that predate the EU have a reputation for being good pulpy fun. I've only read the first four X-Wing books by Stackpole so far, but they've been decent and I'm going to finish the series. I'm looking forward to Allston's books, as he has a very good reputation. I've read the first three Tales short story anthologies, which are a mixed bag but have some gems. The last two are still in my to read pile, but they have a bunch of Zahn and Stackpole stories.

I have never read the Jedi Academy trilogy by KJA, but it's infamous. I am, however, currently reading the I, Jedi book by Stackpole, which I find hilarious as he not so subtly takes the piss out of KJA's plot points. It's great as a meta-commentary at how bad most of the EU was.

The Hand of Thrawn duology are probably the last good books of the Bantam era. I'm not really interested in the prequel era at all, but Mathew Stover's Revenge of the Sith novelization is supposed to be very good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the hand of thrawn books were THE last books published for the Bantam Era.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the hand of thrawn books were THE last books published for the Bantam Era.

Pretty sure they were, or at least intended to be, as a cleaning house of the Bantam Era, before Del Rey came in and blew everything up with NJO.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

Fantastic book

Hahahahahahaha

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Wookiepedia says three of the X-Wing books, Tales from the New Republic and two of the Bounty Hunter Wars still came out afterwards, so I have to retract my last sentence.

Incidentally, is there a consensus on what's the best Matthew Stover novel?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It's pretty popular around this thread, and among most places I read online.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Someone spoke positively about genre fiction, BOTL needs to let us know how above us all they are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Put the loser on ignore

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Which one?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Star Wars prequels are equal to the originals in quality.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Star Wars prequels are equal to the originals in quality.

That's rather vague. Production quality? Likely better than originals. Story quality? Yea on par. Quality of cast chemistry? Not so much .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For those wondering how comics character Dr. Aphra was going to fit in to From a Certain Point of View...Turns out she was on Dantooine scavenging left-behind equipment from the abandoned Rebel base when the Empire showed up to examine the place.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Aphra is just not a character who interests me at all. I haven't read everything with her in it but what I have read, she seems like the exact sort of quippy, kooky, super-smart-but-super-dangerous character that I feel like has become super common the last few years and that really grates on me. Adding to that is that she's paired with the super original trope of "eeeevil droids who also make funny jokes while killing people" that has definitely not been overdone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Aphra is just not a character who interests me at all. I haven't read everything with her in it but what I have read, she seems like the exact sort of quippy, kooky, super-smart-but-super-dangerous character that I feel like has become super common the last few years and that really grates on me. Adding to that is that she's paired with the super original trope of "eeeevil droids who also make funny jokes while killing people" that has definitely not been overdone.

Well, if nothing else, the droids aren't in her FACPOV story.