Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Discendo Vox posted:

US Hospitals usually are required to have backup generator systems. I don't know any of the details or context for what would have transpired at an ICU in PR.

Quite possibly they did have backup generators but ran out of fuel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Phoix posted:

Trump doesn't know that NK has had multiple leaders.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914565910798782465

Didn't he do the same thing during the campaign? God, I swear I remember him being asked about North Korea at some point, and he talked about Kim Jong Un as if he'd been in power for decades.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At this point what is Kelly even loving doing? I mean really just loving resign. Thank you for getting rid of Bannon now get out.

he's doing what he said he would be doing - controlling the information flow into the oval office so that omarossa doesn't walk in with some infowars poo poo, and stopping the infighting and backstabbing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At this point what is Kelly even loving doing? I mean really just loving resign. Thank you for getting rid of Bannon now get out.

I imagine he believes he can somehow fix this out of a combination of not knowing just how hosed this country is regardless of Trump staying in power, an over confidence in self ability, and a misplaced sense of loyalty to the office of President that no longer holds any level of prestige for the entire world. Think about that. Everyone is going to remember the Presidency as the office Americans elected Donald Trump to. It holds no value in the eyes of anyone who matters on the world stage any longer and going forward we're gonna have every grifter and conman all trying to be the next Trump. Every four years the world over will watch on as people with no idea of how our government works lie and say racist poo poo in an attempt to get into the most powerful office in our country and may well end up winning the election

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/914506562160484352

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tetrapyloctomy posted:

JFC, that basically looks like the NROL-39 mission patch.

You've got to give the US Military credit on having a truly world class mission patch game.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Discendo Vox posted:

US Hospitals usually are required to have backup generator systems. I don't know any of the details or context for what would have transpired at an ICU in PR.

Those generators are only required to have enough fuel for a few days of functioning, assuming that in most cases hospitals will be the first to be resupplied as well as have their grid restored. If you run out of your 72 hours of fuel or whatever and haven't been evacuated then power to things like IV pumps and ventilators goes out when their batteries die. This leaves you the option of having someone manually ventilate intubated patients 24/7 until rescue or large doses of morphine and prayer.

See also the aftermath of Katrina and New Orleans hospitals.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I confess I can't think of any off-hand, and that says something, but Trump probably isn't the worst leader in human history.
Probably.

That said, I think he's probably the worst elected leader in human history, although that's also - you know - assuming he did in fact win the election and given the depth and breadth of Russian interference in that election I don't think we can say that with the sureness we should be able to.

EDIT: Before someone brings up Caligula; he wasn't good (although I seem to recall his early reign being excellent) but it also wasn't as sensationally terrible as a lot of what most people think. The historians really hated him so a lot of what we do have is stuff that cannot be taken on face value and is sensationalist as gently caress. I'm willing to go out and say that while the popular culture version of Caligula was worse than Trump, the historical version of Caligula probably wasn't.

At this time he isn't even the worst elected leader in American history, if nothing else Buchanan exists and so far Trump hasn't let his Vice President steal money and munitions for a treasonous civil war.

That we know of.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

awesmoe posted:

he's doing what he said he would be doing - controlling the information flow into the oval office so that omarossa doesn't walk in with some infowars poo poo, and stopping the infighting and backstabbing.

Also, remember that this is the Trump White House running as efficiently and controlled as it has ever been. Now imagine the deep abyss whose edge we stand on thanks only to the efforts of Kelly. It's going to really get bad once Trump starts getting his Breitbart feed and Omarossa and the crew once again regale him with lists of insults which he needs to strike back at.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
So Clinton, Bush and Obama were at the President's Cup earlier this week to kick off the tournament. Trump is supposed to have landed there today at 3pm. His latest tweet, around 3pm, mentions Clinton, Bush and Obama. You just know Trump is participating in the trophy ceremony tonight just to "show them up".

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/10/donald_trump_will_attend_presidents_cup_on_sunday.html

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Phoix posted:

Seriously, gently caress this piece of poo poo

I feel so ashamed

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Reminder that in Katrina, Memorial Medical lost its backup generators as well, because (iirc) they were in the basement. Backup generators need fuel and to be functional, so they're not completely infallible. After Katrina, a ton of hospitals had to move or improve their backups, but I have no idea what the required on-site fuel storage options are, or unexpected consequences of not being able to get fuel in. I also know that when my hospital is running on backup generators, not everything is fully usable, though everything essential is. But that's during a completely normal, routine generator test without undue stress on the system, like a massive hurricane stretching resource lines, impairing staffing, and increasing the patient population. A large part of why hospitals function is that they regularly discharge patients to rehab facilities and home. Can you do that during a hurricane?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Yeah, guys, I get that. The power and fuel capacity in those scenarios is intended to give time to transition to manual methods, which is the SOP for that sort of situation. Them running out of fuel doesn't account for a 100% fatality rate at any given location.

edit: what transpired at Memorial has absolutely nothing to do with them running out of power. Their deathrate was caused by other factors.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 1, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

poo poo or get off the pot

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He's running

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I think at this rate we may need to raise the top bracket of dog tax to 50%. :smith:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Reminder that in Katrina, Memorial Medical lost its backup generators as well, because (iirc) they were in the basement. Backup generators need fuel and to be functional, so they're not completely infallible. After Katrina, a ton of hospitals had to move or improve their backups, but I have no idea what the required on-site fuel storage options are, or unexpected consequences of not being able to get fuel in. I also know that when my hospital is running on backup generators, not everything is fully usable, though everything essential is. But that's during a completely normal, routine generator test without undue stress on the system, like a massive hurricane stretching resource lines, impairing staffing, and increasing the patient population. A large part of why hospitals function is that they regularly discharge patients to rehab facilities and home. Can you do that during a hurricane?

Yeah, people have responded with this, but the island is like completely out of diesel. The biggest thing being worked on right now is distribution issues - clearing streets to get trucks through, etc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Leaked White House Memo Details Puerto Rico Spin: “The Storm Caused These Problems, Not Our Response.”

This is Encino man level of spin. I'm reminding you of who the enemy is. The enemy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXwJo__k2M

Tim Whatley posted:

I love that this dumb piece of poo poo thinks Rocket Man is some sick own

He's not even being particularly original!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He is literally keeping Breitbart and Infowars out of the oval office. I prefer him in than out, if only for that reason.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Also, remember that this is the Trump White House running as efficiently and controlled as it has ever been. Now imagine the deep abyss whose edge we stand on thanks only to the efforts of Kelly. It's going to really get bad once Trump starts getting his Breitbart feed and Omarossa and the crew once again regale him with lists of insults which he needs to strike back at.
I had to google who Omarossa is.

You guys are beyond hosed. Seriously.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

He is literally keeping Breitbart and Infowars out of the oval office. I prefer him in than out, if only for that reason.

I forgot about that. Yeah I agree.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Wark Say posted:

I had to google who Omarossa is.

You guys are beyond hosed. Seriously.

The best thing about her is prior to showing up here in our nightmares, she used to bitch and moan it was The Apprentice's editing that made her look like the villain - not her actual behavior. I can remember her going on Stern complaining about it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, guys, I get that. The power and fuel capacity in those scenarios is intended to give time to transition to manual methods, which is the SOP for that sort of situation. Them running out of fuel doesn't account for a 100% fatality rate at any given location.

edit: what transpired at Memorial has absolutely nothing to do with them running out of power. Their deathrate was caused by other factors.

Care to fill us in on what those factors were? I'm really interested to know where this information came from.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Discendo Vox posted:

The dude said it was the ICU patients that died. Those are the ones most likely to be seriously sick and dependent on technology. If it was a smaller regional hospital the ICU may only have 5-10 beds. Still a horrorshow, but he's not claiming an entire hospital's worth of people are dead.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Have there been any preliminary death tolls?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Your Taint posted:

I think everyone is too afraid to speculate for now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kelly posted:

The best thing about her is prior to showing up here in our nightmares, she used to bitch and moan it was The Apprentice's editing that made her look like the villain - not her actual behavior. I can remember her going on Stern complaining about it.
Never bothered to watch any of Trump's shows (and I don't plan to) but I'm guessing she's a massive piece of garbage.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

La Brea Carpet posted:

The dude said it was the ICU patients that died. Those are the ones most likely to be seriously sick and dependent on technology. If it was a smaller regional hospital the ICU may only have 5-10 beds. Still a horrorshow, but he's not claiming an entire hospital's worth of people are dead.

Yeah, just clarifying here - the tweet I linked refers to one hospital but the information I had came from an ICU nurse with more information about the situation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I read the book on Memorial hospital in New Orleans, but I think part of it was an inability to move certain patients. I recall getting them up to the helicopter pad being an issue.

And power because the generators were in the basement in a city where flooding is like a thing. And as always a breakdown in communication did nobody any favors.

Your Taint posted:

More than expected, but less than feared.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Your Taint posted:

As of Wednesday, 16.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think everyone is too afraid to speculate for now.

Everyone under the sun is speculating, what rock have you been under?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/puerto-ricos-death-toll-could-rise/ar-AAsEWOE
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/san-juan-mayor-decries-white-house-hurricane-relief-effort-article-1.3530502
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ave-died-there/
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article175955031.html
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/9/29/as_death_toll_rises_in_puerto
https://www.yahoo.com/news/puerto-rico-apos-death-toll-224206907.html

nessin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 1, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Phoix posted:

Yes, you will, Donny. Kim isn't going to change because you insulted him.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Your Taint posted:

24 reported in PR.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I’m going to break this down further because some people miight want knowledge and others may desperately need it.

This was a common quote from the 26th

quote:

Long said 16 Navy and Coast Guard ships were in the waters around Puerto Rico, with 10 more ships on the way.

It pops up in a lot of news articles so I’m not bothering to source it. Now heres a Coast Guard press release on its ships in the area.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1b937b2

That’s 13 cutters which means the US Navys commitment was only the three ships of the kearsage task group. I believe the wasp is back on station as of yesterday but that plan was forced around the same time as Comfort was activated (early this week) so that means for a literal week the Navy did not react to Puerto Rico beyond the ships already on site.

That big wide salty water was apparently to much for our navy.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Wark Say posted:

Never bothered to watch any of Trump's shows (and I don't plan to) but I'm guessing she's a massive piece of garbage.

I never really got into The Apprentice - (as a New Yorker we hated Donald Trump before it was cool)...but I can remember her appearance on Howard clearly enough - it was the typical reality show villain complaining it was the editing and not their personality that did them in. :rolleyes:

Now having said this, I just Googled her and she worked for Al Gore when he was in the White House which is kind of amazing when you look at where she ended up.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Yes, she is loving garbage.

Most people would try to play the game mostly straight - every week she'd do something overtly lovely to gently caress over one or more other people (not necessirly from the other team, she just wanted someone else to look bad), trump would sometimes barely mention it then (under orders) would welp about it and fire someone else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Phoix posted:

honestly, this poo poo is the scariest. it shows he is so loving fragile, he will gently caress the world to prove how tough super smart not failure he is.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Same Great Paste posted:

every week she'd do something overtly lovely to gently caress over one or more other people (not necessirly from the other team, she just wanted someone else to look bad)

This is why she has walk-in privileges, by the way.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Alter Ego posted:

Yes, you will, Donny. Kim isn't going to change because you insulted him.

I reminded that at that Alabama rally he told the crowd "We're going to take care of North Korea and you're safe, believe me!" or something of that paraphrase.

Personally anyone who feels the need to call that out would make me immediately suspicious but you know it was an entire crowd of cheering old white people so "Yaaaay!" was the response.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kelly posted:

I never really got into The Apprentice - (as a New Yorker we hated Donald Trump before it was cool)...but I can remember her appearance on Howard clearly enough - it was the typical reality show villain complaining it was the editing and not their personality that did them in. :rolleyes:

Now having said this, I just Googled her and she worked for Al Gore when he was in the White House which is kind of amazing when you look at where she ended up.

A long time ago I was working as the entrance attendant for a roller coaster at Cedar Point. One of the regulars at this particular coaster was an extremely well dressed man and his 10 year old daughter- they came to ride it several times a week. Anyways on the day in question a sudden rain squall had whipped in off Lake Erie and shut the park down. My station at the entrance had pretty good protection from the rain and this man and his daughter had taken shelter there. We passed the time by talking and I (I forget how it came up) but the man was a former secret service agent who had worked in the White House.

In the course of the conversation I mentioned Al Gore and his face darkened noticeably. Whereas he had previously been chatting about how "Marvin Bush is the smart one and Jeb is a moron" he started talking about what a terrible person Al Gore was on a human level. From his time having worked on Al Gore's security detail he said that Al Gore had a real problem with treating people beneath him as if they were scum barely worth acknowledging. He said there weren't any specific incidents that stood out, just that among people who had worked in a service position (security, catering, that sort of thing) around Al Gore nearly universally loathed him.

Obviously I have no idea if the dude was telling the truth about any of it, but thats my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Care to fill us in on what those factors were? I'm really interested to know where this information came from.
Same. All I know is that every patient on a ventilator needs either power or a person at the bedside manually giving them breaths to, well, breathe. If you got clever you could maybe move two patients close enough together that one person could breathe for a few extra people, if their oxygen need wasn't bad and they didn't have many other issues. Without power or a ton of manpower, ICUs in a hospital without power are going to have a very bad time.

• Locked thread