Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Okay, what traits or attributes does a dumb person have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nition posted:

The problem with a benevelent computer dictatorship is that the real dictator is whoever owns the computer.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

klen dool posted:

Okay, what traits or attributes does a dumb person have?

They have more difficulty than the average person figuring things out for themselves or understanding things when they are explained

e: I also agree with you that better education/information about how our voting system works and what parties stand for would be a good thing, it's not just a matter of dumb people gonna dumb. There are plenty of average/smart people who would make better decisions if they were better informed. Dumb people exist though and all the education and information in the world won't help some of them

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 27, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

People aren't dumb. They're just monstrously selfish and uncaring and when you combine this with the oh-so-popular notion that success in life is proportionate to how hard you work/how much effort you put in, dusted with some mild racism, you get most national voters. Most of them also can't really be bothered verifying anything anyone says so they form their not-particularly-clear views based on snippets of the media vortex which is why blatant lies and disinformation win elections.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

poo poo, that all seems reasonable.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

One of the things that surprised me as an adult was very few people are truly dumb if you engage them on something that they care about. Wilful ignorance and self-centeredness are what gives you the impression of stupidity.

When I voted, I heard the lady next to me saying "Oh my god, there's so many names! Which ones should I go for!" while a slightly flustered electoral worker told he that he can't advise her on who to vote for. But if you talked to this lady in her first language about something she cared about, she'd probably be intelligent enough. So I don't know where I'm going with this other than to say that it's only people in aggregate that can be dumb and an election is the worst of the lot as many people who care not a jot for the braying thrusters of politics vote on name recognition or habit.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I wonder how much the results in one area would change if you changed the party and candidate order. In my electorate National was at the top and National won (not to say that means anything on its own). I think it's based on alphabetical order of the surname of the candidates? IMO the order should probably be randomized to cover for the "I don't know who to vote for!" people.

Nition fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 27, 2017

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I used to think other people were dumb but actually it turns out I'm just dumb

makes u think

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Nition posted:

I wonder how much the results in one area would change if you changed the party and candidate order. In my electorate National was at the top and National won (not to say that means anything on its own). I think it's based on alphabetical order of the surname of the candidates? IMO the order should probably be randomized to cover for the "I don't know who to vote for!" people.

I was under the impression that the ballots are randomised in batches of <made up number here>

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay, so dumb people are dumb because their worldview prevents them from having compassion and they refuse to entertain the possibility that their worldview is wrong because they see their worldview as intrinsic to themselves and if their worldview is wrong then THEY themselves are wrong.

I am happy to be wrong, but it still hurts psychologically to have my worldview challenged and to change it. Maybe we are all a little dumb.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
All campaigning and media reporting on the election should be banned, with all information on policy to be submitted to a neutral, independent group. This group will provide all information to the voting public and verify any claims and projections made by each party. No candidate shall be permitted to engage with the public outside of events and debates organised by the information group. This will hopefully eliminate misleading information, media bias etc and make sure every voter is well informed and able to make a reasonable decision based on the facts.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's almost as if intelligence is a multifaceted concept?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

All campaigning and media reporting on the election should be banned, with all information on policy to be submitted to a neutral, independent group. This group will provide all information to the voting public and verify any claims and projections made by each party. No candidate shall be permitted to engage with the public outside of events and debates organised by the information group. This will hopefully eliminate misleading information, media bias etc and make sure every voter is well informed and able to make a reasonable decision based on the facts.

This, but only if I get to select the group and decide what information is correct and what is misleading.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

klen dool posted:

I was under the impression that the ballots are randomised in batches of <made up number here>

Ah, maybe they are? Myself and someone else compared our party list order and they were the same (or at least the first five were), but we voted at the same place at much the same time. Then another person told me it was based on candidate surname.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

bike tory posted:

This is the most DND thing I've ever read

I was always under the impression that D&D was of the mind that there was such a thing as a perfect society, provided everyone did exactly as the poster specified with no deviation.

And the poster was at the helm of the social change.

And people were really cherubs who had been mislead by Satan THE MAN.

Slavvy posted:

People aren't dumb. They're just monstrously selfish and uncaring

Are you an engineer? Because that's kinda the most redundant thing I've ever seen constructed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I was always under the impression that D&D was of the mind that there was such a thing as a perfect society, provided everyone did exactly as the poster specified with no deviation.

And the poster was at the helm of the social change.

And people were really cherubs who had been mislead by Satan THE MAN.

Are you an engineer? Because that's kinda the most redundant thing I've ever seen constructed.

Redundant in what way?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Being utterly selfish and uncaring is kinda the definition of dumb, seeing as fetid sociopaths either end up crunched by society or becoming the President/Prime Minister running it.

If you're going to be a sociopath, at least extend your self-preservation plans out longer than the next five seconds.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Nition posted:

Ah, maybe they are? Myself and someone else compared our party list order and they were the same (or at least the first five were), but we voted at the same place at much the same time. Then another person told me it was based on candidate surname.

After an exhaustive (lazy) search, I cannot find where I read that. But I choose to go on in life believing it anyways.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The greens were at the top of my paper, and their candidate was first alphabetically

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Also if you look at the results on the official page the candidates are listed alphabetically, and from memory this was the same order as on my voting form so i'm concluding with 85% certainty that the parties are listed by order of their candidate name on every form

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Also if you look at the results on the official page the candidates are listed alphabetically, and from memory this was the same order as on my voting form so i'm concluding with 85% certainty that the parties are listed by order of their candidate name on every form

As far as I can remember, it's this, and then parties without a candidate in the seat are randomised after that

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I lol'd

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
couple of good spinoff articles

anti-immigrant rhetoric (maybe) hosed labour in auckland

and Danyl on the greens

quote:

They also got lucky with TOP, Gareth Morgan’s attempt at a centrist environmental and economic reform party. Happily Morgan approached politics like a true economist: he assumed he possessed total mastery of a field in which he was completely ignorant, wasted an enormous amount of time, energy and money, and accomplished nothing while learning nothing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That Danyl Mclauchlan one is more like a blog post about his experience (kinda) working for the Greens than it is an article about how the Greens made it over 5%. It's not a bad article but still

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

glad this old gently caress has shown his true colours again, after everybody fell in love after his 9th floor interview

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also a bunch of columns about how labour is better off not in government than working with nzf.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

exmarx posted:

glad this old gently caress has shown his true colours again, after everybody fell in love after his 9th floor interview

Well on the 9th Floor he was saying all the right things. Especially when compared to leader Jenny Shipley, who is a leader of people, and leads, because she is a leader.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

Also a bunch of columns about how labour is better off not in government than working with nzf.

LOL. Labour needs to be in power to have a shot to implementing their policies. Winston's dog whistles are worse than his bite. I am sure he is salivating to school Jacinda to stroke his real or imagined superiority.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Well on the 9th Floor he was saying all the right things. Especially when compared to leader Jenny Shipley, who is a leader of people, and leads, because she is a leader.

She was the only honest one tbh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oohhboy posted:

LOL. Labour needs to be in power to have a shot to implementing their policies. Winston's dog whistles are worse than his bite. I am sure he is salivating to school Jacinda to stroke his real or imagined superiority.

I was wondering that, he's played the racist policies whistle every election without fail, what has he done to put them into practice when he had power? My feeling is 'gently caress all', but i could well be missing something.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the 96 coalition agreement led to this

quote:

On 30 June 1998 the Minister of Immigration announced that the number of countries whose citizens require transit visas when passing through New Zealand was to increase from 24 to 70. The measure was said to be “to manage risks and to clamp down on refugee scams”.59 The Immigration (Transit Visas) Regulations 1998 implemented this decision.60 Dramatically, on 21 October 1998 citizens of Indonesia lost their right of visa-free entry to New Zealand and found themselves in the position of requiring even a transit visa to pass through New Zealand.61 These changes were made to prevent Indonesians of Chinese ethnicity from seeking refugee status in New Zealand in the aftermath of the violence, and in particular the anti-Chinese violence, which occurred on May 13-15, 1998, particularly in Java.62 In announcing the changes, the Minister of Immigration said that there had been over 300 refugee applications in the past four months from Indonesian nationals. This, he said, was “a very serious trend” and that by suspending the visa-free status for Indonesian nationals, New Zealand was better placed to “manage the risk of people seeking refugee status” upon arrival in New Zealand.63 Following the massive refugee crisis caused by the outflow of Kosovar refugees into Albania, Macedonia and Montenegro, the New Zealand Government moved quickly to prevent the spontaneous arrival of such refugees in New Zealand. On 1 July 1999 the Immigration (Transit Visas) Regulations 1999 came into force.64 In addition to revoking and replacing the 1998 Regulations, these Regulations added citizens of Albania, Macedonia, Yemen and Yugoslavia to the list of persons who require transit visas. The New Zealand Government did agree, however, to offer permanent refuge to 200 Kosovar Albanian families with family ties in New Zealand.65

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slavvy posted:

A friend of mine writes for the Herald, and she said it's just a case of writing opinion pieces just to fill column inches. It must suck being in the politics section, due to being in limbo.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Did you suggest they find writers without poo poo opinions?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
looking increasingly likely that Peters will go with national imo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If only there were political events elsewhere in the world while literally no political news is happening in NZ

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx posted:

looking increasingly likely that Peters will go with national imo

how come? not that i disagree, but what makes you think so?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If English doesn't get Peters he may as well pack up everything, write his valedictory speech and go home. If Jacinda doesn't she can spend the next three years knocking them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

sebmojo posted:

how come? not that i disagree, but what makes you think so?

Yeah there's been a lot of meaningless comment and speculation in support of both sides. None of it, along with anything he says himself means anything at all as to what he'll decide

• Locked thread