Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Nah, this episode where Seven goes on a date in holodeck Marseilles with a rando crewman after getting coached by the Doctor is p entertaining, tho

most of voyager is pretty entertaining. it has very few bad episodes.

----------------
VOYAGER CREW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It has a bunch of very bad episodes, but very few terrible "why am I watching this?" terrible episodes. TNG had more of those in S1 and 2 then Voyager had in 7 seasons.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Every single character on Voyager is like a pale shadow of every single character on TNG.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How can you say that with a straight face?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sensual Simian posted:

Every single character on Voyager is like a pale shadow of every single character on TNG.

Yeah, such deep characters as Doctor Mom, and Sexual Predator Engineer. And who could ever forget Autistic Android, or Mary Sue Wonderboy???

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Apparently 550 pages and 7 seasons of Voyager changes a man.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The General posted:

Apparently 550 pages and 7 seasons of Voyager changes a man.

my great plan will be accomplished on page 666

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Page 888 will divide the thread into four perfect x,y coordinate quadrants and from there which quadrant you've posted in the most determines your Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta alignment which then like one of those foldy paper things goes on to determine who you marry and how rich they are. From Rom the nightshift sanitation worker to Rom the Grand Negus or Kivas Fajo the great collector to Kivas Fajo the peniless federation prisoner behind bars on a 20 year rehab colony sentence.

I'm hoping to land on either artifact-rich Vash or an impoverished Ro Laren.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Pages late i know but Discovery was surprisingly okay. The CBS app, however, is the crashingest piece of poo poo I've ever used. Malware infested sports streams work better than that poo poo.

I liked the main klingon guy, shame he died like a loser.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Duncan Doenitz posted:

So, uh, what was the point of the episode where there's a duplicate Voyager with a duplicate crew who all degrade and die and literally nothing happens to the real ship + crew the entire time?

If you pay attention, you can see them grasp a different original ending with the whole "nothing we brought to the ship changed" scene before neatly dropping that tidbit entirely. If there were any records for Voyager to recover, they might get that fancy enhanced warp drive!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

shadow puppet of a posted:

Page 888 will divide the thread into four perfect x,y coordinate quadrants and from there which quadrant you've posted in the most determines your Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta alignment which then like one of those foldy paper things goes on to determine who you marry and how rich they are. From Rom the nightshift sanitation worker to Rom the Grand Negus or Kivas Fajo the great collector to Kivas Fajo the peniless federation prisoner behind bars on a 20 year rehab colony sentence.

I'm hoping to land on either artifact-rich Vash or an impoverished Ro Laren.

im calling union boss rom

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
STAR TREK: Kai Hillary vs. Damon Trump

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
clinton and trump onstage, when the chair was hosed

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Braga, when the walls fell

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Berman, when the ratings fell.
Seven, her busom large.
Roddenberry, at peace.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 1, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's no way STD is good. You can watch it now? I refuse to believe it's good.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

basic hitler posted:

There's no way STD is good. You can watch it now? I refuse to believe it's good.

It could be good. It's not terrible. It has the potential to go either way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Sisko existing here.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Orville is more Trek than STD, but STD has potential.
I wish they would turn up the lights in STD though, it is so dreary.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i dream of 7

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Watched the second episode of Orville tonight. I guess it was better overall. Higher highs but also godawful lower lows. Anything involving the captain or his failed marriage is just awful. I almost turned it off after that painfully bad omelette joke. Having Jeffery Tambor appear on your show, huge plus! Utter wasting his only scene with your loving garage dialog all about inflamed colons, gently caress you! I'm really hoping there's someone that can reign in McFarlane being McFarlane so the other, more interesting parts of the show can shine through. I like the doctor. Her being the only person who knows what they're doing on a boat of incompetent children is amusing. Also I love straight up ripping off the TOS pilot, and the solution was pretty good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

actually its a ship

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

it's a wessel

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

It's bad. Especially the theme song but especially everything about the Klingons.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Applewhite posted:

It's bad. Especially the theme song but especially everything about the Klingons.

Is it worse than the Enterprise theme song? I’m pretty sure the only way that could be any worse would be to remix it as an EDM song, which would quickly become the most popular song in European history. This would mostly be attributable to a public misperception that the singer was David Hasselhoff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Is it worse than the Enterprise theme song? I’m pretty sure the only way that could be any worse would be to remix it as an EDM song, which would quickly become the most popular song in European history. This would mostly be attributable to a public misperception that the singer was David Hasselhoff.

no it's fine, it's just a modern-style intro so goons hate it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

appropriatemetaphor posted:

no it's fine, it's just a modern-style intro so goons hate it.

No actually it's not fine it's lame and pretentious.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I really hope Quentin Tarantino gets to do a Star Trek movie, and that it does not contain the n-word at any point, as this would not fit with the themes or tone of Star Trek. Unless, maybe, the scene was set on the holodeck. Yeah, that could work, have a 45 minute long digression half-way through the 3.25 hour runtime showing the bridge crew playing some horrendously violent gangster scenario full of racism, rape, torture, and murder, as a contrast to what effete, easily offended, emotionally sterile weirdos Starfleet officers are while on duty.

Supposedly he wants to do a feature length (for him, 3+ hour long) adaptation of either City on the Edge of Forever, or Yesterday’s Enterprise. I sincerely doubt he’ll ever be allowed to, unless he omits the words “Star Trek” from the title. Paramount seems to think anything called Star Trek that doesn’t feature Chris Pine being irritating and Zachary Quinto displaying the fits of rage Vulcans are so known for might be bewildering to their carefully cultivated uncultured audience of obese, mouth-breathing, type 2 diabetic midwesterners who only went to see the movie because there wasn’t any football on tv.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 1, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

counterfeitsaint posted:

Watched the second episode of Orville tonight. I guess it was better overall. Higher highs but also godawful lower lows. Anything involving the captain or his failed marriage is just awful. I almost turned it off after that painfully bad omelette joke. Having Jeffery Tambor appear on your show, huge plus! Utter wasting his only scene with your loving garage dialog all about inflamed colons, gently caress you! I'm really hoping there's someone that can reign in McFarlane being McFarlane so the other, more interesting parts of the show can shine through. I like the doctor. Her being the only person who knows what they're doing on a boat of incompetent children is amusing. Also I love straight up ripping off the TOS pilot, and the solution was pretty good.

Episode 4 is basically a switch from the first episode being 70% trying too hard to be funny to 30% trying to hard to be funny and 30% top quality star trek.

For anyone who doesn't care about spoilers:

They find a massive ancient ship drifting through space but it's driftinging towards a star, so they board it to alert the and split up.

Once split up the captain and team find out that the residents of the ship have no idea they are on the ship and are basically a pre-FTL civilisation that believes in a religion of Durell.

The second team the woman in red gets shot (lol) and captains wife is captured. They find out it's lead by a tyrannical regieme and you see a man beaten to death in the street by an angry mob for challenging the religion.

She gets rescued by the rest of the team and they get to the ship's bridge where they find Durell isn't a God, but the last captain of the ship that knew it was a ship. They then open the dome over were everyone lives revealing the stars to the population who had lived in constant daylight.

That is prime grade trek right there.

The humour I find verges wildly between funny and unfunny.

The funny humour was like when they all got into the lift and stood in silence for a while until the captain tries to make small talk and it doesn't help.

That's funny because it would be like showing a "real" sex scene where the people involved are awkward or whatever. It's never really shown in normal science fiction because it's not exciting or interesting etc but in real life that's how it would go down.

The captain telling the security officer with super strength to open a door by refering to it as "a jar of pickles" for the second episode in a row is not funny. It wasn't funny the first time because he was trying too hard, repeating it is just worse. (That said the first time he tells her to open the door she just runs into it knocking out a section of the wall and he says "I loosened it for you". If that was the only joke in that scene I think that would have been funny).

I think some of the humour would work if the rest of the crew sort of called the captain out on having poo poo jokes. If he had said that and someone said "Really, it wasn't that funny the first time can we just call doors doors?" I probably would have laughed.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 1, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

counterfeitsaint posted:

Disagree with a lot of this. It's pretty clear the captain being a goober and saying inappropriate things while trying to be affable is kind of his deal. His omellette joke was supposed to be painfully bad. He's not funny, he falls on his face whenever he tries to be funny, and that's what's funny.

I thought his dad's stuff about his colon was hilarious, he was being completely embarrassing and personal in front of his crew, just like dealing with a lot of parents.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Orville just throws out that TNG 'evolved sensibilities' bullshit and posits that even in a technologically advanced civilization with confirmation of intelligent extraterrestrial life, humans still deal with the inane bullshit of modern life.

poo poo like working your rear end off to climb the corporate ladder, working with people you have a reason to dislike and hating your parents.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Sisko existing here.

The Sisko would prefer different answers

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It should've been Picard and Beverly in the tub in Insurrection. :dance:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

the equivalent of "Rolling coal" would be detonating torpedoes constantly along the most traveled warp routes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 1, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

the equivalent of "Rolling coal" would be detonating torpedoes constantly along the most traveled warp routes.

Disagree. It would be kicking up short burst warp 9.8 fields along those same corridors but with the bussard collector polarity flipped to spit particles rather than collect.

Detonating torpedoes and leaving their casings and quantums or photons littered everywhere is closer to knocking over mail boxes.

Like this, but with the callsign of NCC-F250 6.7L

And more chrome and MAGA stickers.

And done especially when passing a Bajoran lightship.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2017

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lwaxana was always commenting on how Picard had these naughty thoughts about her. Was that real, or just her being eccentric?

What's the nerd opinion?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Disagree. It would be kicking up short burst warp 9.8 fields along those same corridors but with the bussard collector polarity flipped to spit particles rather than collect.

Read the tech manual. Photon torpedoes are the equivalent of warp core breeches, which is how that scientist proved they existed in the first place. And more importantly, you can detonate hundreds of them in one trip while maintaining the full subspace ripping speed to which a captain of means has become accustomed.

The casings don't matter because the navigational deflector array pushes it aside.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Episode 4 is basically a switch from the first episode being 70% trying too hard to be funny to 30% trying to hard to be funny and 30% top quality star trek.

For anyone who doesn't care about spoilers:

They find a massive ancient ship drifting through space but it's driftinging towards a star, so they board it to alert the and split up.

Once split up the captain and team find out that the residents of the ship have no idea they are on the ship and are basically a pre-FTL civilisation that believes in a religion of Durell.

The second team the woman in red gets shot (lol) and captains wife is captured. They find out it's lead by a tyrannical regieme and you see a man beaten to death in the street by an angry mob for challenging the religion.

She gets rescued by the rest of the team and they get to the ship's bridge where they find Durell isn't a God, but the last captain of the ship that knew it was a ship. They then open the dome over were everyone lives revealing the stars to the population who had lived in constant daylight.

That is prime grade trek right there.

The humour I find verges wildly between funny and unfunny.

The funny humour was like when they all got into the lift and stood in silence for a while until the captain tries to make small talk and it doesn't help.

That's funny because it would be like showing a "real" sex scene where the people involved are awkward or whatever. It's never really shown in normal science fiction because it's not exciting or interesting etc but in real life that's how it would go down.

The captain telling the security officer with super strength to open a door by refering to it as "a jar of pickles" for the second episode in a row is not funny. It wasn't funny the first time because he was trying too hard, repeating it is just worse. (That said the first time he tells her to open the door she just runs into it knocking out a section of the wall and he says "I loosened it for you". If that was the only joke in that scene I think that would have been funny).

I think some of the humour would work if the rest of the crew sort of called the captain out on having poo poo jokes. If he had said that and someone said "Really, it wasn't that funny the first time can we just call doors doors?" I probably would have laughed.

Honestly, the jokes I tend to skip over. They aren't all terrible but they aren't why I'm watching the show strangely enough.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thine own self
Troi has to pass the officer test and needs to sacrifice a crew member, and she chooses the chief engineer? Hardly officer material!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I just watched the new episode of Discovery. It's pretty good. If some of the stuff from the pilot turned you off, give it a shot. It feels much more like an episode of the Trek you're used to. the main story of the episode stands alone but it ties into a larger narrative.