Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Raxivace posted:

MGS2 for me, probably.

It has to be a version that specifically includes the skateboarding mini-game to truly be considered perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That Walden game looks pretty neat, actually, it looks like it has both carpentry mechanics and a fishing component

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne is my game I consider to be near perfect but this should surprise nobody

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it would've been Max Payne 3

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

Bloodborne is my game I consider to be near perfect but this should surprise nobody

Bloodborne can't be perfect because I :qq: CAN'T loving PLAY IT :qq:

Also its online is garbage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also the frame rate

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Psychonauts is my pick. I know people have issues with some of the platforming but I actually really like it. Once you get the orb to ride around on it's a ton of fun rolling around, double-jumping, hovering, etc. It gives you a lot of options.

On top of that the setting, aesthetic, and story are just so unique and charming. I really never get tired of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought it would've been Max Payne 3

It's second, mostly because of those damned loading zones. Without those I think they'd be tied.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcE-f0teM04

I posted about this sometime last month when it came up too but for those that haven't seen the SH3 puzzle being talked about here is my explanation of it from an LP I didn't do

Although making that video inspired the bonus features of my Bloodborne LP that I think turned out great! (shill shill shill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUGVhHkiywQ

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 1, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

exquisite tea posted:

I forgot where I read this but Ubisoft has anti-high fantasy development culture, that's why Assassin's Creed continues its simulation meta-narrative framework

The framing narrative is such loving trash though. Surely they have to be aware of that, right?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Considering Ubisoft and Nintendo just worked together to actually good effect, you'd think they'd avoid stepping on each others toes so blatantly by releasing their AAA titles on the same day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/SegaCDgames/status/913182464079794182

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Considering Ubisoft and Nintendo just worked together to actually good effect, you'd think they'd avoid stepping on each others toes so blatantly by releasing their AAA titles on the same day.

It's not like their games are even being released on the same consoles, literally nobody is going to be saying "well I COULD buy the new rear end creed but I'm gonna get Mario instead" and certainly not vice versa

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The perfect game is Picross 3D Round 2

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

raditts posted:

It's not like their games are even being released on the same consoles, literally nobody is going to be saying "well I COULD buy the new rear end creed but I'm gonna get Mario instead" and certainly not vice versa

Technically speaking, I could be echoing that sentiment, but i'm not gonna buy the new rear end creed regardless if a mario is or isn't coming out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys Origin is pretty much perfect, the only slightly negative thing I can say about it is that Hugo isn't as fun to play as the others.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Okami is the perfect game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I imagine a venn diagram of people who hate Mario games and people who preorder Assassin's Creed games is a near perfect circle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I plan to rent Mario Odyssey on my Switch, buy Wolfenstein on PC, and rent AssOr for my PS4

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Plebian Parasite posted:

Okami is the perfect game

Knowing about the moon level, the final level, and poo poo cut for time it's sad.

Okami is one of the best video games ever, the art book is one of the best from a game series I've seen. It comes with little notations for which song on the soundtrack goes with the art.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Actually I will probably also rent Wolfenstein because I'm gonna pay full price for PC Destiny 2 like a chump

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually I will probably also rent Wolfenstein because I'm gonna pay full price for PC Destiny 2 like a chump

Dude...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only game I can think of that I played and I'd call perfect, at the time I first tried and right now, is Super Metroid. The years go by and it's still a thrill to go through it, every time.

Regarding more modern entries, I can't really pick just one, there are too many great games out there. Notable ones: RE4, Dishonored, Ori, Juarez: Gunslinger(I still believe this is one of Ubisoft greatests), Gunpoint, Revengeance, Hollow Knight, Sleeping Dogs, New Vegas, Titanfall 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Is anyone going to get Elex this month?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think my perfect game is Killer7, not because its flawless but because it was the perfect game to suit my tastes when it came out.

In terms of a perfect game regardless of timing it'd have to be either Bloodborne or Revegance. They're just perfect experiences from the start and then have amazing, challenging final bosses that are perfect finales to the whole experience.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Probably agree with whoever said GB Tetris.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Switch Update: Splatoon is hard and I don't know how people aim at things but it's sorta fun I guess.

Golf Story owns

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Planescape: Torment's my favourite game of all time- everything from the atmosphere, to the choices, all combines to make the perfect game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Heat Signature made me wish I had Steam friends, I didn't know about that functionality until just now but now I feel bad for having so many of my guys captured, they're lost now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Switch Update: Splatoon is hard and I don't know how people aim at things but it's sorta fun I guess.

Golf Story owns

Usually with the right stick and some gyro guidance

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
perfect game

HexCells
SquareCells
CrossCells
River Raid
Sleeping Dogs
Rock Band 2

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Plebian Parasite posted:

Back in 2003 Ubisoft released Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil within a week of each other. They'll step on their own toes sometimes in order to make a release date.

They also released that one cell-shaded FPS nobody remembers at the same time as well.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I plan to rent Mario Odyssey on my Switch, buy Wolfenstein on PC, and rent AssOr for my PS4

I think the formula is: Rent, Pre-order, Kill

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Rock Band 2

If Rock Band 2 had Green Grass and High Tides I would agree with this +1000, but instead I only agree with it +999

edit: Also, a new avatar to pre-celebrate my new favorite video game. I am this confident it's gonna be god drat good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The perfect game is Picross 3D 2 as always

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've started XCOM 2 again and one of my soldiers is all hunched over and shifty lookin' despite not being injured or shaken

is he gonna sprout horrible murder tentacles or what

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

If Rock Band 2 had Green Grass and High Tides I would agree with this +1000, but instead I only agree with it +999

edit: Also, a new avatar to pre-celebrate my new favorite video game. I am this confident it's gonna be god drat good

Evil Within 2?

Sometimes I get tempted to re-install rock band 4 and then I realize it'd take literally an entire day to download all my DLC

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

Evil Within 2?

Hell yeah, man!! I'm psyched!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Eternal Darkness was so good. One of the rare examples where getting stuck in development hell actually resulted in a better and more cohesive product.

Its really bad tho

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I want more Siren games but the guy who directed them (and Silent Hill 1) does Gravity Rush now instead of horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I want more Siren games but the guy who directed them (and Silent Hill 1) does Gravity Rush now instead of horror

holy poo poo

is that true

that's hella depressing

Siren games were awesome and truly fuckin terrifying. the movie was good too

• Locked thread