Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I taught my dog by having two identical toys and always making the one in my hand the more interesting one.

I don't have a second stick on hand, so... I went googling - yeah I know, shoulda done this first - and they recommended touching the collar and holding the dog still as you tell them to drop, and lo and behold: Apollo figured this out fast and now drops the stick whenever I just touch his collar. It helps that I'm rewarding him for obeying with fetch and tug immediately afterwards.

... Between the walks and the tug my poor body is going from lazy lump to overwalked, overtugged pain town and I need my stamina to catch up with my puppy fast. Which is good - one of the reasons I got a dog was to get myself to actually exercise - and also bad because my arms are now noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Tell him to drop it and then give him a treat, he'll drop the thing and take the treat. After a while he'll drop it faster and faster. If he gets clever and keeps waiting for you to present the treat before dropping the thing: wait until he actually releases before presenting a treat. But this might not even be necessary.

Edit: or yank his collar I guess lol.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

amotea posted:

Edit: or yank his collar I guess lol.

I am not yanking his collar. I want to be clear here, I'm just holding it and not letting him back up to keep playing the game.

...Sorry for the defensiveness, but I've been real sensitive to yanking on his collar due to how much he's been pulling on the leash today, what with how much he desperately wants to go down into the woods and dig up dirt around the fire hydrants and... :sigh:

Puppy's gotta puppy and I'm working on finding that balance between letting him sniff stuff and also not pulling me into the next county.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If you want to keep toy drive high don't mix toys and treats. The hand on the collar works fine as a short term management tool, but two duplicate toys is how you teach a solid drop it.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am not yanking his collar. I want to be clear here, I'm just holding it and not letting him back up to keep playing the game.

...Sorry for the defensiveness, but I've been real sensitive to yanking on his collar due to how much he's been pulling on the leash today, what with how much he desperately wants to go down into the woods and dig up dirt around the fire hydrants and... :sigh:

Puppy's gotta puppy and I'm working on finding that balance between letting him sniff stuff and also not pulling me into the next county.
Okay relax. I'd still advice another method though: what if he is biting someone's clothes on the other side of the room? What if he's not wearing his collar? Or what if he starts to growl when you grab it :)?

For pulling: just let him sniff everything he wants within reach, but don't let him pull you towards a fun thing or he'll essentially be rewarding himself and learn to keep pulling.

If you're stressing, why not get him a harness instead of a collar? Better for his neck anyway.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

amotea posted:

What if he's not wearing his collar?

I don't take off my dogs collars. Is this bad? Or weird? My cats have collars with their tags on all the time also. All my pets are inside animals.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

amotea posted:

Okay relax. I'd still advice another method though: what if he is biting someone's clothes on the other side of the room? What if he's not wearing his collar? Or what if he starts to growl when you grab it :)?

A calm hand on the collar to get the dog to drop a toy is one of the management tools we use at the behavior program at the humane society where I used to volunteer, so it's not like it's a contentious technique - done correctly, it's far more effective with an untrained dog than most alternatives. There are some caveats with fearful dogs and resource guarders, but it doesn't seem like that's an issue with this dog.

You should periodically train collar grabs with treats (away from a play setting) for every dog to acclimate them to handling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A brief overview of Apollo:

- The reason I need to teach him drop is that he'll drop everything except for whatever he's playing tug with, and in this case it's a big blue stick that he loves. He's so focused on getting me to play tug that drop doesn't work. In fact drop actually makes him get into the down position and drop the toy long enough for me to touch it, which is when he grabs the other end of it and re-initiates tug. :sigh:

I'm no longer indulging this behavior, and instead hold the toy and touch his collar and say drop, and he goes "oh you want me to DROP it I getcha" and he lets go and doesn't chase it... until I'm a few feet away in which case he'll try to get it and get the game back going again. I'm pretty good at beelining to the toy chest and putting it away at that point, though.

- Walking outside - he behaves if I have treats and the clicker on me, but god help me if I don't. I mean, he'll be okay but there's more pulling. At this point when he pulls I either quit moving entirely or keep walking in a straight line, and he usually gets back to me pretty quick. That said, all bets are off if there's something to chase. A deer this morning made him go bananas and when I wouldn't move he ran in circles around me whining, and lunged whenever I tried to inch back home. When he finally began to let go of the dream of chasing that deer we... saw a cat and it was stop moving entirely / inch back home all over again.

- He has a very soft mouth, is very good at letting go of anything, and frankly my biggest problem with him right now is that he has been wanting to play for the last three hours and I love him and I've played with him but I need to eat food and rest and cope with a family situation and him constantly bringing toys to me is getting... phoo. Puppy I love you please stop looking adorable at me.......

amotea, a harness is a good idea. I'll check that out. Engineer Lenk, thanks for the info. Thankfully Apollo doesn't resource guard or get mean or anything - he just wants to play more tug, damnit, and he doesn't understand why I would ever want to stop playing.

e: Ignored him long enough and he finally went "playtime's.... over?" and huffed and went to curl up nearby. This pupper. :3:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 1, 2017

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

StrixNebulosa posted:

A brief overview of Apollo:

- The reason I need to teach him drop is that he'll drop everything except for whatever he's playing tug with, and in this case it's a big blue stick that he loves. He's so focused on getting me to play tug that drop doesn't work. In fact drop actually makes him get into the down position and drop the toy long enough for me to touch it, which is when he grabs the other end of it and re-initiates tug. :sigh:
This is a textbook situation for a play driven dog, and the best training solution for your problem is to get a duplicate blue stick toy and retrain drop it as described a while back.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

This is a textbook situation for a play driven dog, and the best training solution for your problem is to get a duplicate blue stick toy and retrain drop it as described a while back.

I'll give it a go as soon as I can get another stick, thanks!

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Is this the thread (is there a thread) where one can ask "hey does anyone here have this sort of dog, tell me about your dog breed!" kind of thing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wrecking Ball posted:

Is this the thread (is there a thread) where one can ask "hey does anyone here have this sort of dog, tell me about your dog breed!" kind of thing?

I wouldn't mind seeing it!

That said, do look around PI for the breed-specific threads - I know there's a Corgi one, and a Primitive Breeds one.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My small dog is so mad about being in her kennel tonight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GoodBee posted:

My small dog is so mad about being in her kennel tonight.

It's getting colder - at least here in NY it is, so you might want to make sure she has enough blankets. Apollo's graduated to sleeping on the bed with me as it's warmer up here and I finally decided that I'm willing to have him up here forever.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It's no where near cold here and it never gets NY cold.

She was mad because she's gotten used to sleeping with me. She's been sleeping on top of me and it's disrupting my sleep. Big dog sometimes naps with me but she sleeps by herself. Apparently I disturb her.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GoodBee posted:

It's no where near cold here and it never gets NY cold.

She was mad because she's gotten used to sleeping with me. She's been sleeping on top of me and it's disrupting my sleep. Big dog sometimes naps with me but she sleeps by herself. Apparently I disturb her.

:sigh:

Dogs. Gotta love them. Apollo's a sweetheart who sleeps in his own nest - I've got a big bed and multiple heavy blankets - and we both toss and turn a bit, but he doesn't try to sleep on me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Re: treat question from a bit back, I ended up going with Zuke's and dehydrated Liver. The zukes minis are perfectly sized for training HVT, and the dehydrated liver is the ultra super high value treat for when something is finalized or dependent on motivation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I would like to present to you America's newest K9 good citizen:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I would support this dog by appointing him mayor of this fine town.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

In contrast, my puppo is more like the Vermin Supreme of candidates.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I would like to present to you America's newest K9 good citizen:

squinty doggle needs goggles

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I dog rescued a pug three months ago and at first he seemed healthy but now he's a medical mess. Hotspots been popping up around his rear, and I think the food I'm giving him is causing allergic reactions. My other two dogs are perfectly fine.

My vet changed ownership 3 months ago and now are charging three times the normal prices for the same exact services. But woooo, they got a new fancy sign and an whole extra chair in the waiting room. I don't know financially how long I can keep this up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If we're posting our acquisitions:

Frodo, shelter reckons he's 1. We are currently at the park where he's straining at the leash towards anything dog shaped.

No I was not successful at saying we should get rid of him.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

[quote="“sneakyfrog”" post="“477042836”"]
squinty doggle needs goggles
[/quote]

but they do nothing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

but they do nothing

or.. do they?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wait you're running with the joke right or

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If we're posting our acquisitions:

Frodo, shelter reckons he's 1. We are currently at the park where he's straining at the leash towards anything dog shaped.

RIP your happiness and well-being

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wait you're running with the joke right or

maybe i just find doggies in goggies kinda awesome? :shrug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Then you need to get on training him ASAP. Change is going to be hard, but make sure he learns not to be aggressive.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

maybe i just find doggies in goggies kinda awesome? :shrug:

oh yeah that's cool and acceptable

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

How bad is cat food for dogs? I'm not feeding my dogs cat food instead of dog food or anything too weird like that. I will let my big dog hoover up stray bits of kibble around my cats' bowl instead of sweeping it up, because sometimes I'm lazy. And it's really cute because she knows she's not allowed to put her face in the bowl but she can have the bits on the floor.

I am worried that one day my small dog will figure out how to get into the cats' room and eat cat food until she barfs everywhere. There's an agility area at the dog park and I've been taking my dogs there. The small dog likes climbing on stuff for treats.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GoodBee posted:

How bad is cat food for dogs? I'm not feeding my dogs cat food instead of dog food or anything too weird like that. I will let my big dog hoover up stray bits of kibble around my cats' bowl instead of sweeping it up, because sometimes I'm lazy. And it's really cute because she knows she's not allowed to put her face in the bowl but she can have the bits on the floor.

I am worried that one day my small dog will figure out how to get into the cats' room and eat cat food until she barfs everywhere. There's an agility area at the dog park and I've been taking my dogs there. The small dog likes climbing on stuff for treats.

not much if its small amounts.

you are training a dog to parkour for treats and wondering whether or not the dog will use said parkour skills to obtain treats.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

not much if its small amounts.

you are training a dog to parkour for treats and wondering whether or not the dog will use said parkour skills to obtain treats.

It's only a matter of time. Small dog is either currently unaware of the cats' treasure hoard or is utterly terrified of the black cat. It could be both.

I figure if nothing super terrible will happen if the small dog figures out how to ninja into the cats' lair and brave the cats, then I'll deal with it then. If I should really worry about her getting into the cat food once, I could do something radical like pick up the cat food when I'm gone.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GoodBee posted:

It's only a matter of time. Small dog is either currently unaware of the cats' treasure hoard or is utterly terrified of the black cat. It could be both.

I figure if nothing super terrible will happen if the small dog figures out how to ninja into the cats' lair and brave the cats, then I'll deal with it then. If I should really worry about her getting into the cat food once, I could do something radical like pick up the cat food when I'm gone.

stop that innovative thinking at once, this is not the dog owners with smartness thread.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
worst case itll barf a lot.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

And then eat the barf, barf some more and have explosive diarrhea.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah gross but harmless for the most part

unless carpet or rugs.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GoodBee posted:

And then eat the barf, barf some more and have explosive diarrhea.

Please don't doxx my dog.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

how's cat food? you mean how's cat poop that poo poo is catnip for my dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

how's cat food? you mean how's cat poop that poo poo is catnip for my dog

I remember the day I noticed my cat and dog had created a fun game I call Winter Treasure Hunt. The cat would go outside and bury a poo somewhere in the snow, and then the dog would go around the yard and dig it up to get a cold, delicious treat. Poopsicles.