Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's a little out of most people's builds price range, but Micro Center currently has an insane price (~$80-100 less than the lowest recorded price) on the 1TB 960 EVO (currently web sales as well as B&M): http://www.microcenter.com/product/471493/960_EVO_Series_1TB_NVMe_M2_Internal_SSD

Honestly I want some of you goons to buy them out so I'm not tempted to spend $339 plus tax and just sit on it until my next build.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Make sure the specific model you're getting actually is one without the connector, because there are often "OC" models that need a 6-pin or whatever.
I did find that info when I was researching the different cards, but thank you for looking out! I've got two versions nailed down that are verified to be slot-only power. :)

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

eames posted:

Coffee Lake (8700K/8600K + Z370) has six cores and is going to perform significantly better in games, I'd wait for that unless you care for the upgrade path that AM4 offers. Admittedly CPU performance won't matter as much at 1080p 75Hz but AMD will probably be forced to react with price cuts in the near future.

I'm in a similar boat, eyeing the Ryzen 1600 but waiting for the Coffee Lake to pull the trigger. Can you explain what you mean by the "upgrade path" options?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Not That Into You posted:

I'm in a similar boat, eyeing the Ryzen 1600 but waiting for the Coffee Lake to pull the trigger. Can you explain what you mean by the "upgrade path" options?

AMD is supposed to be keeping the same socket for it's next CPU's.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

axelord posted:

AMD is supposed to be keeping the same socket for it's next CPU's.

Socket AM4 will evidently be used until at least 2019. That can't be a 100% guarantee that a 2019 CPU will work in a 2017 motherboard due to unforeseen 'gotchas' like power delivery, but at this point, if AMD can't make Zen more efficient it's a design failure.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Palladium posted:

Do you mean 2x8GB? I'm pretty sure 6GB sticks dont exist. The 2x8GB is also better, you get twice the RAM and virtually all DDR3-1333 after Sandy Bridge will hit 1600 speeds without issues. 8GB of total RAM is cutting rough at this point, 16GB is a much more comfortable place to be at.

whoops im a dummy, it was a 2x8 kit! well lucky me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Not That Into You posted:

The idea is that buying an AMD system now gives you a decent chance at running future processors in your system without having to replace any other component.

AMD stated that AM4 will be supported until 2019/2020 so in the best case scenario we might see 7nm 16-core consumer CPUs running in X370 motherboards.

Intel on the other hand is planning the release of a new Z390 chipset in 2H/2018 that'll be required for 8C Coffee Lake CPUs, so if you buy into Coffee Lake with Z370 now you won't ever be able to upgrade beyond a i7-8700K in that motherboard.

That being said there's no doubt in my mind that AMD will scrap their plans and release new sockets, chipsets and boards for every CPU revision as soon as the tables turn and AMD becomes the clear winner in all aspects of performance, features and value.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
So if I'm looking to buy a new gaming computer in the $1,500-$2,000 range including monitor, should I wait for the Intel Z370 chip set to come out, so it pushes down the price of the Z270? How much of a difference is that gonna make? Is Intel still gonna make processors for the Z270 after they launch the new Z390 in 2H of 2018? Or am I gonna be forced to upgrade my processor, motherboard, and graphics card when I need to upgrade?

Any tips or criticisms of the following build?

Purpose: Gaming. I'm looking to play some old games like Close Combat 3 and mods, Fallout 1 and 2, Fallout Tactics, as well as newer games like Fallout New Vegas (and mods) Fallout 4 (and mods), Witcher 3, Arma 3 (and mods) and any new FPS that piques my interest. I got out of the PC gaming world around 2007 so I'm looking to catch up on some games, but I also want to be able to play new games that come out for hopefully 3 years to come with this build. I'm also looking for a good 27" monitor, but I'll check the monitor thread for that.
Budget: $2,000 max, including monitor.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HDGZNN
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HDGZNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($162.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer - BlackWidow Chroma V2 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1,557.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-30 04:44 EDT-0400

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 30, 2017

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
^^^^^^Definitely do not go Z270 at this point, and the price of Z270 likely will not go down after the launch of Z370

About upgrade paths in general, I don't think being able to upgrade processors before upgrading the motherboard again should be such a high consideration. Some hold it to be a big positive for AM4, but if you plan on replacing your processor in two years, maybe consider a different processor? 8700k and 8600k should be good for the next 4-6 years at least, and by then it's only natural the motherboard will have to be replaced as well, even if you go AMD. Maybe you squeeze out a few more years on the same motherboard with some good planning, but I'm pretty skeptical that even planning in this way is in everybody's best interest. Better to aim for a Q6600 or 2500k type processor that's good for a long rear end time and then replace other parts as need be. This thread over the last few months has been a parade of folks with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell rigs trying find upgrade paths that don't involve starting from scratch. And not only is upgrading a processor not worth it, going from 8GB to 16GB of RAM isn't even that worth it. Maybe AMD will be better with this in the future, but still, two years. Just my 2c

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My little sister is building her first ever PC, she's getting a 1060 6GB. I'm trying to be as supportive as possible and keep her hype train at an all time high, but she's got this intense desire to have one big aesthetic: all white, with loads of RGB lights. And I've told her "You don't have a job, you're scrounging money everywhere you can, you're selling stuff you have to make up the cost" cause in my head, I think it's totally bizarro that she would rather spend an extra 25% on the build just to get things all in white and have RGB fans... I haven't been able to sway her decision, she's still going for it.

I donated her an i5-4670k (the same exact CPU I'm using right now), but once she found out it's not compatible with DDR4, she told me she doesn't want to use it. And I've told her, the difference in performance between DDR3 / 4 is minimal, and I've got 8GB DDR3 in my setup and it's perfectly fine. I told her she should just build a budget PC now, so she actually has something she can physically use, and then slowly over time, piece by piece, buy the other stuff she wants. But she's instead opted to buy all the stuff piecemeal and the total cost of the build has reached £1,100, of which she has £400, and I've just donated £350. At the rate she's buying stuff, I guarantee there'll be a drop in price of GPU's by the time she gets the final piece, and I told her to just wait and order it all at once via Amazon Prime but I think she's let the hype get the best of her and isn't making rational choices anymore.

Is there any point in me trying to sway her to make a more frugal decision? I'm almost certain she's also dropping £300 on a subpar white, curved Samsung monitor, which isn't really suitable for gaming due to it's 4ms latency and low refresh rate. If she followed my advice, she'd have a totally banging PC for about £850 which is much easier to save for than £1,100, a PC that would easily trump my current PC, and I'm the resident computer nerd in our family. She just keeps saying "Yes I know, but it will look nice in my room". Someone really helpful also picked out a bunch of parts that worked perfectly for us, and IIRC it came in at a very reasonable price. But I think she's talking to some muppet over Discord who probably doesn't know what they're talking about and are egging her on to get stuff she doesn't need.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a little out of most people's builds price range, but Micro Center currently has an insane price (~$80-100 less than the lowest recorded price) on the 1TB 960 EVO (currently web sales as well as B&M): http://www.microcenter.com/product/471493/960_EVO_Series_1TB_NVMe_M2_Internal_SSD

Honestly I want some of you goons to buy them out so I'm not tempted to spend $339 plus tax and just sit on it until my next build.

If I didn't have to take my motherboard out to get to the M.2 slot on the back of the board I'd be all over that. Best price I've seen.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I want to upgrade my computer, but don't know if I would be better off upgrading my ram or video card.

I have a 2 gig Radeon HD 7850 and 8 gigs of ram. Would I get more bang for my buck by upgrading the ram or the video card? And if I should upgrade the video card, what are some good mid-range cards to look at?

Edit: I also have an i5-4590 3.3ghz quad-core CPU, but I would prefer not upgrading the CPU if I can get away with it for now.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 30, 2017

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Q8ee posted:

My little sister is building her first ever PC, she's getting a 1060 6GB. I'm trying to be as supportive as possible and keep her hype train at an all time high, but she's got this intense desire to have one big aesthetic: all white, with loads of RGB lights. And I've told her "You don't have a job, you're scrounging money everywhere you can, you're selling stuff you have to make up the cost" cause in my head, I think it's totally bizarro that she would rather spend an extra 25% on the build just to get things all in white and have RGB fans... I haven't been able to sway her decision, she's still going for it.

I donated her an i5-4670k (the same exact CPU I'm using right now), but once she found out it's not compatible with DDR4, she told me she doesn't want to use it. And I've told her, the difference in performance between DDR3 / 4 is minimal, and I've got 8GB DDR3 in my setup and it's perfectly fine. I told her she should just build a budget PC now, so she actually has something she can physically use, and then slowly over time, piece by piece, buy the other stuff she wants. But she's instead opted to buy all the stuff piecemeal and the total cost of the build has reached £1,100, of which she has £400, and I've just donated £350. At the rate she's buying stuff, I guarantee there'll be a drop in price of GPU's by the time she gets the final piece, and I told her to just wait and order it all at once via Amazon Prime but I think she's let the hype get the best of her and isn't making rational choices anymore.

Is there any point in me trying to sway her to make a more frugal decision? I'm almost certain she's also dropping £300 on a subpar white, curved Samsung monitor, which isn't really suitable for gaming due to it's 4ms latency and low refresh rate. If she followed my advice, she'd have a totally banging PC for about £850 which is much easier to save for than £1,100, a PC that would easily trump my current PC, and I'm the resident computer nerd in our family. She just keeps saying "Yes I know, but it will look nice in my room". Someone really helpful also picked out a bunch of parts that worked perfectly for us, and IIRC it came in at a very reasonable price. But I think she's talking to some muppet over Discord who probably doesn't know what they're talking about and are egging her on to get stuff she doesn't need.

You have to let her make her own mistakes. That's how people learn and grow. You gave your opinion she listened and you didn't listen to her. Offer to help her if she asks, listen to her when she makes a decision and accept her decisions. You can make suggestions but in the end you have to accept she is going to decide what is important to her. Spend her money the way she wants and build her build. Even if it's not the best it could be or exactly what you would have done.

Dude you are going to be a world of hurt when she starts dating a guy you hate.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

E: putting this off until next week / new processors

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 30, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

axelord posted:

You have to let her make her own mistakes. That's how people learn and grow. You gave your opinion she listened and you didn't listen to her. Offer to help her if she asks, listen to her when she makes a decision and accept her decisions. You can make suggestions but in the end you have to accept she is going to decide what is important to her. Spend her money the way she wants and build her build. Even if it's not the best it could be or exactly what you would have done.

Dude you are going to be a world of hurt when she starts dating a guy you hate.

Thanks for the advice, I kept on making the mistake of giving my opinion, telling her I'd drop the topic and that I'd support her doing her own thing, and then the next time it popped up in conversation, I'd say my opinion again. Oops. Told her I'll stop being an insufferable dick, but she said it's all good.

And her dating a guy I hate, it's fine there. I've already supported her in that area of life, even when she dates someone who's an absolute chode.

bblaze
Oct 18, 2004

Ask me about how chocolate chips act as barriers to dislocation for plastic deformation.

Same Great Paste posted:

I sat down yesterday to amazon.com the SA Performance Gamer before being smacked in the face that the list still leaves too many options for me to comfortably pick on my own. I just don't trust myself to not gently caress it up. SO...

I will give $100 to the favourite charity of a kind goon who will compile and send me a COMPLETE list of amazon.com links for every part I can possibly need to successfully build the spec'd performance gamer + a quiet fan. Like specific items, not classes of items. And I mean EVERYTHING. Do I need a power supply or does the case come with one? Does this motherboard fit in this case? I don't loving know you tell me. Nice parts, I don't need top of the line. Everything else is your call.

Please quote this if you want to take me up on it 1 so a second person doesn't waste their time and 2 tell me your charity first because I'm not donating to loving PETA or something.

Will double it for a trusted Puerto Rico related org.

Thx goons!

E: :toxx:

If you are not able to decide within the options, maybe you would be better suited with a pre-built option?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

bblaze posted:

If you are not able to decide within the options, maybe you would be better suited with a pre-built option?

True. But I trust goons more than I trust something like Alienware, and putting it together doesn't scare me.

If this was a bad idea then okay sure I'll probably end up doing that.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Please wait a week for coffee lake.

bblaze
Oct 18, 2004

Ask me about how chocolate chips act as barriers to dislocation for plastic deformation.

Same Great Paste posted:

True. But I trust goons more than I trust something like Alienware, and putting it together doesn't scare me.

for the value package you might be looking more at dell or lenovo

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Same Great Paste posted:

October 5 is when the new processors come out. I'd wait till then. It's a difference between getting a four core processor and a six core processor. And your build really depends on your budget and what you're targeting (1080p, 144hz or 60hz, etc)

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Scholtz posted:

Please wait a week for coffee lake.

Yeah? Good to know, thank you.

bblaze posted:

for the value package you might be looking more at dell or lenovo

I've bought a prebuilt dell before. But in this case I'm specifically looking at the performance gamer rig, not a value package.

E:

Rabid Snake posted:

October 5 is when the new processors come out. I'd wait till then. It's a difference between getting a four core processor and a six core processor. And your build really depends on your budget and what you're targeting (1080p, 144hz or 60hz, etc)

I appreciate the advice!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm helping someone build a system for 1080p gaming and trying to save them a few bucks. They're currently on an old laptop, but inherited a workplace PC (an Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF) that I was thinking of using the processor (i7-3770) and memory from as the mobo / case / PSU are proprietary. They have a budget of $1000 and live near a Microcenter. Considering that Ivy-Bridge motherboards would be tough to come by these days, should I roll with the 3770 or start with a newer processor entirely?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I have been tasked with purchasing parts for a new work computer for a small company I freelance for. They do graphic design (Indesign and photoshop), office, and Internet on it.

I want to use this case because I use it for my own computer and its very nice: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048

Other requirements

SSD for boot drive
LOTS of hard drive space (thousands of image and indesign files stored on it)
Can run photoshop and indesign without a hiccup

What should I get?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

I have been tasked with purchasing parts for a new work computer for a small company I freelance for. They do graphic design (Indesign and photoshop), office, and Internet on it.

I want to use this case because I use it for my own computer and its very nice: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352048

Other requirements

SSD for boot drive

What should I get?

When anyone says "LOTS of hard drive space" nowadays, my answer is "build the PC and put the bulk storage in a small-business-specced NAS with hotswap bays." Obviously you'll need/want a good deal of primary storage/cache space in the main box, so an NVMe boot drive feeding to a not-as-expensive NVMe cache/storage drive with maybe 2TB of SATA SSD storage isn't an awful idea simply to minimize processing time.

As for the general build, since I don't see 'gaming' in there, my recommendation is either a lower-model Threadripper or 1700/X Ryzen plus a *shitload* of RAM. What's their price range? I/we can't really spec anything else out until we know that.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 1, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How big of a deal is ALC1220 vs. the standard ACL ALC887?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

How big of a deal is ALC1220 vs. the standard ACL ALC887?

The 1220 is three years newer than the 887, but onboard sound honestly comes down to how much it's amplified on the board. Any board with a 1220 codec should be 'premium' enough on a maker's ~totem pole of upselling~ to have some level of pre-amplification.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When anyone says "LOTS of hard drive space" nowadays, my answer is "build the PC and put the bulk storage in a small-business-specced NAS with hotswap bays." Obviously you'll need/want a good deal of primary storage/cache space in the main box, so an NVMe boot drive feeding to a not-as-expensive NVMe cache/storage drive with maybe 2TB of SATA SSD storage isn't an awful idea simply to minimize processing time.

As for the general build, since I don't see 'gaming' in there, my recommendation is either a lower-model Threadripper or 1700/X Ryzen plus a *shitload* of RAM. What's their price range? I/we can't really spec anything else out until we know that.

Budget is $2k, sorry.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That leaves out Threadripper, then.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

Other requirements

SSD for boot drive

What should I get?

clockworkjoe posted:

Budget is $2k, sorry.

Photoshop seems poorly threaded so you will not be served by throwing tons of money at an expensive many-core CPU unless the computer is also used for things that can take advantage of a lot of threads. Indesign is not widely benchmarked but its performance profile is likely not much different. Your best option is to wait until Coffee Lake/the i7-8700K comes out next week before making any big decisions, since that chip will have a 4.7 GHz single-core boost speed, superior single-threaded performance to anything AMD makes, and six cores at a reasonably friendly price.

In fact, "wait for Coffee Lake" is good advice for anybody building a mainstream/gaming PC soon. Just hang tight until October 5.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 1, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Should I set my alarm for 12PM EST on Wednesday if I'm looking for a new system right away?

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm helping someone build a system for 1080p gaming and trying to save them a few bucks. They're currently on an old laptop, but inherited a workplace PC (an Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF) that I was thinking of using the processor (i7-3770) and memory from as the mobo / case / PSU are proprietary. They have a budget of $1000 and live near a Microcenter. Considering that Ivy-Bridge motherboards would be tough to come by these days, should I roll with the 3770 or start with a newer processor entirely?

Just put a low profile 1050ti in that;

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC Low Profile Video Card ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)

A quick google shows the mobo has 4 Ram slots, grab a 2x4GB DDR3 from Gumtree or eBay or something like that, to take you up to 12GB (I'm assumeing there's already a 2x2GB kit in there). Memory is memory and saving a bit of money going second hand would be appropriate of a build of this vintage (cos you wouldn't want to put too much money into it at this stage). Even though that CPU would compare well to current non-K i5s, there is no way he should be putting $1000 into an Ivy Bridge system.

If that's not agreeable the good folks here won't hesitate to spec out a $1000 build if you ask, but I am of the opinion that if your friend is not big into gaming he should be happy with the above solution .

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Should I set my alarm for 12PM EST on Wednesday if I'm looking for a new system right away?

All things are pointing to a paper launch with actual product-on-shelves about two weeks later. Expect Newegg to be heavy into the ~bundles~ (consider signing up for their email newsletter since that'll probably be the first notice of preorders), while Amazon will be a minefield. Micro Center doesn't like to do pre-orders - they like selling product they can actually touch, and will physically take any out-of-stock merchandise off their website (even if you can still save the link to it).

clockworkjoe posted:

Budget is $2k, sorry.

With or without a new snazzy monitor with a high Adobe RGB color gamut? Once I know this, I/we can start theorycrafting. Also, while I agree in theory with TheJeffers, I'm getting the impression that this business you're building the computer for wants this to be "their box" for the next 3-5 years and don't really want to worry about it much more after you cash their check. Whatever shortcomings Photoshop and/or InDesign might have now in regards to 'more cores than needed,' it stands to reason that future versions of the software will benefit from increased overhead. Also, Socket AM4 evidently has a future into (and evidently past) 2019, making the system much more easily 'side-gradable' in the future, whereas for all we know Z370 will be a cul-de-sac chipset when Z390 and the inevitable 400-series motherboards come out.

I do believe the core of your system should be a Ryzen 1700 or 1700X, depending on how everything else shakes out, mated to a B350 or X370 (again, depending on budget) motherboard with 32GB of RAM (for starters). Normally for a machine that's being used for professional Photoshop you'd consider maxing it out at 64GB, but right now a 4x16GB kit will run you $700-800, and with 16GB DIMMs you *really* want to stick with what's been tested rigorously and verified compatible since Ryzen's *really* finicky about what RAM you mate with it, and high density and high speed modules doubly so.

I guess it'd also help to know what level of ~Photoshopping~ will be going on here - casual to quasi-professional minor image work/sharpening or "Jesus wept" levels with the manipulation of massive textures that could make some systems literally cry with coil whine.

Lastly, is that $2k as in "they'll spend up to that but would prefer less" or $2k in "that's what I quoted them and anything under that can be theoretical profit"?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 1, 2017

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Poked my head into Best Buy last night just for giggles to see what they had for video cards. Much to my surprise, they had the exact 1050ti I was going to order, and at the same price as all of the online retailers. Sold! I'm happy to report that it's even more of a performance boost than I was expecting, both in games and in my graphics software, an absolutely perfect budget upgrade for my meager needs. Thanks again for the help!

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
Anyone got a recommendation for a really sweet looking chassis.
Like I seriously want to hide my gaming rig as much as possible.

Making look like a set-top box alá Xbox or PS4 would be acceaptable.

Needs to fit one 1080Ti but otherwise no requirements.
I’m just really interested in a sweet looking chassis.

Location: Anything within Europe would be amazing but feel free to post links outside EU.
I can always use borderlinx or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift, maybe?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

vrklgn posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a really sweet looking chassis.
Like I seriously want to hide my gaming rig as much as possible.

Making look like a set-top box alá Xbox or PS4 would be acceaptable.

Needs to fit one 1080Ti but otherwise no requirements.
I’m just really interested in a sweet looking chassis.

Location: Anything within Europe would be amazing but feel free to post links outside EU.
I can always use borderlinx or whatever.

Fractal Node 202 or Silverstone RVZ01 would be pretty decent choices. We have a thread for smaller builds here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587&pagenumber=39#lastpost

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Arivia posted:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift, maybe?

Probably going with this one on my next build.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Alright, as I talked about a few pages back I ended up buying an EVGA GTX 1070 to replace a GTX 770. My processor is still an i5 4690K with 16GB of DDR3 1600. I'm still not getting a solid 60FPS in games like Assassins Creed Syndicate with all options maxed running at 1200P, though it typically stays close to there. My question is would I be better served returning the the 1070 and replacing with a 1080 or putting that money towards a mobo + CPU + RAM of the new Intel stuff coming out? I know that long term I'm going to need to replace the CPU anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Alright, as I talked about a few pages back I ended up buying an EVGA GTX 1070 to replace a GTX 770. My processor is still an i5 4690K with 16GB of DDR3 1600. I'm still not getting a solid 60FPS in games like Assassins Creed Syndicate with all options maxed running at 1200P, though it typically stays close to there. My question is would I be better served returning the the 1070 and replacing with a 1080 or putting that money towards a mobo + CPU + RAM of the new Intel stuff coming out? I know that long term I'm going to need to replace the CPU anyway.

The 1070Ti is coming out at the end of the month and you should still be in the Step Up window by then. Once you're in the queue it doesn't matter when they get the card to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 1070Ti is coming out at the end of the month and you should still be in the Step Up window by then. Once you're in the queue it doesn't matter when they get the card to you.

How long is the step up window? I got a 1070 in March...