Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

SteelMentor posted:

According to Warham Community, the multi-part Plague Marines come in boxes of 7, rather than 5 or 10.

On one hand, yay flavour but goddamn that's an inconvient number for bulking out your ranks.

I am sort of suspecting that alot of people might buy Dark Imperium dudes online for bulking out squads

Also if you are not running plague marines in squads of 7 I am judging you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Can old metal terminators, in general, be re-based onto larger bases and painted up and they'll look fine? Or are they gonna look like poo poo in modern 40k?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
They're gonna be smallish, but they're still Terminators.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Galaspar posted:

A question for anyone working on a Mortarion - build him first, or paint in sub-assemblies? Seems like a lot of the armour will be tough to get to with the cloak in place, but on the other hand the cloak apparently ought to go on very early in the process, so there'd be a nightmarish number of bits to paint separately.

If I had to do it over, I'd separate it as follows:
Assemble the legs, cock robe, and chest together into 1 sub-assembly
Arm + pistol
Arm without scythe
Scythe
Head+hood
Wings
rear end robe + flying nurgling on chain
separate nurgling on chain that connects to the main robe
Base

I fully assembled him, minus the scythe, rear end robe, and wings. It was a mistake. It is really hard to paint the armor + cock robe and the inside of the cloak after assembly. Its not impossible, but its just worse than doing it before hand. While there are a lot of steps in his build, he is super easy to put together and everything fits together drat near perfectly so there is not much to worry about doing it in sub-assemblies.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

There are poo poo tons of very cheap poorly painted metal terminators in both loyalist and Chaos flavors on eBay and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing

Like I haven't touched a metal model in well over a decade, are they harder to paint? Do you paint strip them the same way as plastic?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

Like I haven't touched a metal model in well over a decade, are they harder to paint? Do you paint strip them the same way as plastic?

Metal is the superior toy soldier material, and I won't hear any different.

You can strip them the same way as plastic if you want, but you can also use far, far more effective chemicals, depending on where you lay with toxicity.

I use paint strippers with dichloromethane, which means any and all paint falls off metal in about 90 seconds with no brushing, but I also live over the street from a mechanic that will dispose of it for me.

It makes eBay rescues a trivial effort.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yeast posted:

depending on where you lay with toxicity

I want to strike a nice balance between "I don't want to die" and "I don't want to wait multiple days"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

I want to strike a nice balance between "I don't want to die" and "I don't want to wait multiple days"

In that case, an acetone bath for a few hours will do the trick for most stuff. Remember to wear gloves, and just use a glass jar and an old toothbrush.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

goose willis posted:

Can old metal terminators, in general, be re-based onto larger bases and painted up and they'll look fine? Or are they gonna look like poo poo in modern 40k?

You're grading on a curve since standard modern Terminators still look like poo poo.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The Dark Angels terminators from Dark Vengeance don't look that bad but again they're mono-pose and I want more than just five

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

What models are people using for Acolytes? They have so many weapons options that don't fit any of the actual "Acolyte" models - is it easier to just grab a guard model with the appropriate special weapon than trying to remember that "the guy with the torch has a plasma gun" or whatever?

This probably won't help you that much since they no longer sell them but I use old Necromunda models as my Acolytes, House Delaque mostly. They all have trenchcoats, bolters, a couple of special weapons and they look the part of a rag tag bunch of mean dudes that would totally hang with an inquisitor. Honestly I would use any model that fits the part, an acolyte is just anyone that an inquisitor has found useful and decided to keep around so as you said, guard models would work well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

goose willis posted:

The Dark Angels terminators from Dark Vengeance don't look that bad but again they're mono-pose and I want more than just five

I'm still waiting for Gravis Terminators.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

goose willis posted:

There are poo poo tons of very cheap poorly painted metal terminators in both loyalist and Chaos flavors on eBay and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing

If they're multipart metals I'd highly recommend having a pin vise on hand - I've had some ebay rescues that were basically held together by a forcefield of paint layers that would absolutely refuse to stay glued until I pinned them.

Cainer posted:

This probably won't help you that much since they no longer sell them but I use old Necromunda models as my Acolytes, House Delaque mostly. They all have trenchcoats, bolters, a couple of special weapons and they look the part of a rag tag bunch of mean dudes that would totally hang with an inquisitor. Honestly I would use any model that fits the part, an acolyte is just anyone that an inquisitor has found useful and decided to keep around so as you said, guard models would work well.

Huh, I wouldn't have thought of those guys, they're pretty neat.

I was thinking of using guard models, but now that they aren't part of the same group as the inquisitor I thought it might be hard to tell them apart from an actual guard squad that I'd thrown in.

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 2, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm still waiting for Gravis Terminators.

Isn't Gravis it's own thing? Like a class of armor that sits between Mark X and whatever termy armor primaris will wear?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

GreenMarine posted:

Isn't Gravis it's own thing? Like a class of armor that sits between Mark X and whatever termy armor primaris will wear?

Correct. Aggressors are the closest to "Gravis Terminators" that we're gonna get.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:madmax: Hope you like shows about sweaty shirtless boys in the jungle, because this Badcast is all about Catachans! :madmax:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/10/01/40k-badcast-18-large-sweaty-men/

Luebbi posted:

I bought the Servo Haulers to spice up my gaming table, and I think the rusted brown metals look totally rad. Anyone know how to achieve this effect?
Ya homeboy Dunc's got you covered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqApHA3L2Cc

mango sentinel posted:

You're grading on a curve since standard modern Terminators still look like poo poo.
Nah.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

:madmax: Hope you like shows about sweaty shirtless boys in the jungle, because this Badcast is all about Catachans! :madmax:
:swoon:

What about buff sweaty ladies, like Ripley here that you gave me at Cabin Slam?

(She still needs some details and a wisp of smoke rising from the charred Alien).

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

BuffaloChicken posted:

:swoon:

What about buff sweaty ladies, like Ripley here that you gave me at Cabin Slam?

(She still needs some details and a wisp of smoke rising from the charred Alien).

We should have had you on for, I dunno, the entire episode.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

The Sex Cannon posted:

We should have had you on for, I dunno, the entire episode.
As you mentioned the faux-cabin renovations I was hanging a giant framed picture of a Velociraptor from Jurassic Park on the wall.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

As you mentioned the faux-cabin renovations I was hanging a giant framed picture of a Velociraptor from Jurassic Park on the wall.

I have a lenticular 3d Jurassic Park 2 velociraptor picture hanging just off camera in the art section of my bases video.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Quick x-post from the mini painting thread

R0ckfish posted:

The dragon head turned out a bit meh but I cannot be bothered to redo it right now, otherwise happy with how this dude came out.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

On the topic of wysiwyg, I bought some chosen from the Dark Vengeance set that I've been running as two bolters, power axe, power fist, and lightning claws. Recently I've ran them as all plasma and I like it a lot more than rolling all types of melee weapons.

My question is, what are some cool models/alternatives I can use to model a new unit that actually has plasma guns? I could just get some chaos marines and just model them with plasma guns, but I was wondering if I was overlooking something unique.

For alternatives I really like the Evilcraft chaos marines. http://evilcraft.eu/category/products/complete-models/

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

What models are people using for Acolytes? They have so many weapons options that don't fit any of the actual "Acolyte" models - is it easier to just grab a guard model with the appropriate special weapon than trying to remember that "the guy with the torch has a plasma gun" or whatever?
Here are a few of my acolytes and other Inquisition flunkies

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Going to use this as an excuse to repost my Shadow War Catachans. :madmax:

Until this episode, I did not realize that nicknames were an actual thing for Catachans in the fluff. Fortunately, I already named these suckers like they're extras in an 80's B movie. :madmax:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Painted a couple more of my loyalist Primaris Thousand Sons this weekend.

"It is my duty to bear the Album Exanimus Damnatorum, the book of Tizcan dead. Within its pages are kept the names of each man, woman, and babe lost during the burning of our great city. Every civilian, every soldier, and every legionnaire. A painful reminder of our failings and a registry of the betrayed -- but also of the betrayers. At great length and cost, we have collected the true names of the wolves that died burning our home. Lore forgotten by the grey skalds, lost even, perhaps, to the wolf-father. It is my hope to one day share these names with the sons of Russ and restore that which was sundered."
- Athkatet, Magister Templi of the Aethenian Cult, XV Legion (cross ref: Sons of Khepri Chapter Primaris)

"The magisters teach that before the great betrayal one in five could manifest the talents - now it is, perhaps, one in thirty. We hide from those who would forever doubt our loyalty. We consort with the agents of Mars in shadow. We flee the ever-seeking eye of our shattered, mad father. We are greatly diminished, but all is not yet dust."
- Corsun Achamenae, Lieutenant, Pavoni, XV Legion (cross ref: Sons of Khepri Chapter Primaris)

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 2, 2017

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

That scarab symbol is insane. Fantastic work.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah that freehand is great.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I loving LOVE 'all is not yet dust'. That is an astounding turn of phrase for them.

E: What is the red base?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 2, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Corrode posted:

Yeah that freehand is great.

It's a decal, not freehand. From the 30k TK transfer sheet. The red base color is mephiston red with agrax earthshade and highlights of evil sunz scarlet.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Had a game of admech + a knight vs. robooty 2 knights and some primaris backup.

It was surprisingly close and more or less came down to a contested point with like 8 models left on the table total.

Knights with canticles actually give a bit of an edge, especially since it's one of maybe two ways to give them rerolls, with my opponent using the other.

Cawl's bubble is still amazing.

Shooty Kastellans will absolutely take a big chunk out of a knight of you need them to, and managed to kill a wounded one on Overwatch.

Robooty is still a bitch to kill when you have a majority of your army shooting at him. That you can't actually shoot him more to make sure he stays dead is infuriating.

Wrath of Mars is super disappointing when you're rolling like 30 radium carbine wounds and get like 3 sixes.

Had some knight vs knight combat which was fun. Knight vs robooty went predictably though not conclusively this time.

Game kinda made clear the glaring difference in stratagems between codex SM and Admech. I had a lot of stuff I wanted to use. He didn't have much reason to use anything but the rerolls and interrupt charges stratagems from the main book. I had a bunch of interesting abilities I wanted to use.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GreenMarine posted:

It's a decal, not freehand. From the 30k TK transfer sheet. The red base color is mephiston red with agrax earthshade and highlights of evil sunz scarlet.

Ahhh I thought it looked super clean. Cool.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Those marines are incredible, that red, black and gold colour combo just feels good to look at.

Can some DG dex owners share their theory crafted lists? I'm building a 2k list and dunno how many troops to bring, currently thinking of 4x 5 man squads, 2 choppy and 2 shooty but idk if that's a bit anaemic

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Those marines are incredible, that red, black and gold colour combo just feels good to look at.

Can some DG dex owners share their theory crafted lists? I'm building a 2k list and dunno how many troops to bring, currently thinking of 4x 5 man squads, 2 choppy and 2 shooty but idk if that's a bit anaemic

Thinking go shooty over choppy, save CC to Blightlords/Deathshroud.

Maybe go 3 squads, then fill up slots with Poxwalkers for objective camping/bubblewrap.

What mixture of support characters were you considering?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Maybe go 3 squads, then fill up slots with Poxwalkers for objective camping/bubblewrap.

Mathematically the plague surgeon only actually increases disgustingly resilient from 33% to 35% but playing against it it felt like it came up way more than that.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Artum posted:

Mathematically the plague surgeon only actually increases disgustingly resilient from 33% to 35% but playing against it it felt like it came up way more than that.

Assuming the Surgeon grants GW's favourite mechanic of 'reroll 1s', it goes up to 39%. :science:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
With my poo poo luck I'll always take any re-rolls I can get.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

SteelMentor posted:

I'm currently bringing all of them except the surgeon and 1 of each terminator squad, though I could probably cut the two grenade boosters for an extra plague marine squad? Also a chaos lord for rerolling to hits.

The basic choppy plague marines seem okay but the flail looks absolutely nuts and the squad is tough enough that giving the captain a powerfist seems a decent investment?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So, uh...

What kind of Necron lists are people running these days?

I'm going back and forth between:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Necrons) [99 PL, 1986pts] ++

+ HQ +

Overlord [7 PL, 119pts]: Staff of Light

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 170pts]: 10x Immortal, Tesla Carbine

+ Elites +

Triarch Stalker [8 PL, 181pts]: Twin Heavy Gauss Cannon

Triarch Stalker [8 PL, 158pts]: Particle Shredder

Triarch Stalker [8 PL, 171pts]: Heat Ray

+ Heavy Support +

Doomsday Ark [10 PL, 203pts]

++ Total: [99 PL, 1986pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

This list relies on My Will Be Done from the overlords to allow the Tesla Carbines to get three hits on 5s instead of 6s since it effects the dice roll instead of bs. Also works on over watch. Shoot the Triarch Stalkers first since they have Targeting Relay, allowing you to reroll ones for anything else shooting at that unit. Doomsday Arcs give great coverage, 72 inch heavy d3 s10 ap - 5 with d6 damage is very gross, especially since it changes to heavy d6 if you're shooting it at a unit with 10 or more models.

The other list I've been rolling around with (but haven't yet put in a game) is:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Necrons) [101 PL, 2002pts] ++

+ HQ +

Nemesor Zahndrekh [9 PL, 180pts]

Vargard Obyron [8 PL, 151pts]

+ Troops +

Immortals [8 PL, 170pts]: Gauss Blaster, 10x Immortal

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 120pts]: 10x Necron Warrior

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 120pts]: 10x Necron Warrior

+ Elites +

C'Tan Shard of the Deceiver [12 PL, 225pts]: Power of the C'tan: Seismic Assault

Flayed Ones [10 PL, 210pts]: 10x Flayed One

Lychguard [16 PL, 300pts]: 10x Lychguard, Warscythe

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarabs [4 PL, 65pts]: 5x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

Destroyers [9 PL, 201pts]
. 2x Destroyer: 2x Gauss Cannon
. Heavy Destroyer: Heavy Gauss Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

(FW) Tesseract Ark [13 PL, 260pts]
. Two Gauss Cannons: 2x Gauss Cannon

++ Total: [101 PL, 2002pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Theres a bunch of teleprorting shenanigans you can do with this list. I won't go into too much detail here but if everything goes to plan you can have Nemezor, Zandrekh, Deceiver, lychguard and flayed ones up in your opponents grill by the end of your first movement phase. Zandrekh and Nemezor are two great tastes which taste great together and they let you do some nutty poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I bulked out the old metal terminators by putting thin washers between the arms and body.

You could also try basing them on a 25mm base glued to a 40mm base (so they're standing atop a hill of basing material).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I'm currently bringing all of them except the surgeon and 1 of each terminator squad, though I could probably cut the two grenade boosters for an extra plague marine squad? Also a chaos lord for rerolling to hits.

The basic choppy plague marines seem okay but the flail looks absolutely nuts and the squad is tough enough that giving the captain a powerfist seems a decent investment?

I want the grenade boosters to be good but how often do you plan on getting your 6" grenades all in range? They work great for a rhino/raider dumped CC unit to give them a way of weakining bubble wrap units on their way out the transport, for sure, but probably not worth having more than one.

I was thinking of building lists based on assault-blight weapons or just rapid fire plasma.

With the warlord traits to reroll all wound rolls for plague weapons things like blight launchers, plague spewers, plague mortars etc get a lot better. A demon prince with the trait (or Morty) become a mini guillyman if you have the right loadouts. I don't know if this makes it better than a real guillyman army, but hey it's our fun little version.

I also think poxwalkers are amazing troops because of the imune to moral bit and the overall duribility for board presence and bubble wrap, but then I get stuck thinking I need typhus in every list. (And he is still worth the 25-37 pts more than vanilla Lord of Contaigon)

My 2k list looked like this: (split into batallion and vanguard detachment for 7cp, minus one if you include both relics)

DP- 2x talons, 2+sv relic
Typhus
Plaguecaster

2x 20-man poxwalkers
4x 5-man plague marine squads with 2x Blight Launchers

2x Bloatdrone with 2x Plaguespitter
1x Blight hauler (to try out the cover, could just be a 3rd drone for 16pt, or crawler tank for 14pt)

2x Blight bringer (2d6 pick-highest advance guys)
2x Plague surgon (reroll 1s FNP) one has Aura boost relic and has the warlord trait.
1x Foul Blightspawn (Stinky-No-Charge-Bonus guy, and insane flamer)

I probably have too many points in elite aura guys. I have not played it yet so no clue how it will actually play.