Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Caverns of Kalte posted:

The passage is short and you quickly arrive at another stone chamber. Ahead you can see a flight of stone stairs leading to a darkened archway high above. At the foot of the stairs, still upright and in armour, are the skeletal remains of an ancient tomb keeper. A large black sword rests in the skeleton’s bony fingers.

Healing: +1 EP (22/30).
Attack the skellington, or ignore it and climb the stairs?

We still have laumspur available if we want to heal up quickly. This isn't a hint or suggestion, BTW, just a reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Eh, it's undead and we have the Sommerswerd. Let's beat them bones.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Turn Undead!

Bolster Undead!

Stab Undead!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A large shiny sword rests in the skeleton's smashed skull.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Attack the skellington with our supersword.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Attack.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Use the kai discipline of undue belligerence

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Ok, finished Legends of Lone Wolf equivalent to this book, Hunting Wolf. Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to need to start that series from the top to really do it justice, so it will be a bit longer before I'm able to mirror the CYOA live. I'll be able to reflect a little bit on this book when certain events have passed, and then a bit more once we've advanced a few more books given some "canon" events that we skirted previously.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So wel'll say, "Howdy skelly, how's it shakin?" and the skeleton will eye us warily. Then he'll hiss at us, "Tu fui.... ego eris" and we'll take one look at him and say, "No way, dude, I've got a much better sword" and we'll just waltz on up the stairs and he'll stare off into the blackness.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When given the option, why not?

Your first blow scatters the bones of the skeleton all over the chamber. It seems that it was nothing more than the harmless remains of an old tomb guard. A closer examination of the sword reveals that the blackness is nothing more than pitted iron. You lower your weapon and slowly climb the stairs.

Healing: +1 EP (23/30).

You climb over fifty steps before reaching the archway. As you catch your breath, you notice that a billowing and swirling veil of mist completely covers the arch, hiding whatever lies beyond. You suddenly realize that the temperature is much colder around this archway.

Healing: +1 EP (24/30).

You can sense the presence of a powerful life-force beyond the misty arch. As you concentrate, you suddenly recall a tale told to you when you were a small child, ‘The Legend of the Vagadyn Gate’. This was a tale of Ice Demons and how they once fought a war to be able to leave their world and come to Kalte. They were formless creatures, without shape and substance, and existed as pure energy in another dimension, beyond the confines of space and time. The Ice Demons discovered the Vagadyn gate, a sort of door between their world and Magnamund; they fought each other to enter this gate, unaware of the fate that awaited them. The Ancients had also discovered the gate. As the Ice Demons passed through the Vagadyn, their spirits were imprisoned in crystals by the cunning Ancients, who harnessed the power of the Ice Demons to build Ikaya. The M’lare bowls that light the fortress each contain the spirits of lesser Ice Demons trapped within. You also remember that the tale warns against destroying the crystal prisons: if an Ice Demon is released it will seek to claim the body of its rescuer.

Forewarned by your Kai skill, you enter the misty arch.

Healing: +1 EP (25/30).

You enter a massive chamber, ill-lit and icy cold: a hidden temple of the Ancients. The floor is made from slabs of quartz and granite and is littered with rock and ice. Your eye follows a line of tall pillars leading towards a sacrificial altar set into an alcove in the northern wall. Upon this altar lies a strange statue, which seems to be carved from smooth white stone. At its head and feet, black staves rest upright in holes bored into the altar stone.

To the left of the altar there is a darkened archway, through which a flight of stairs ascends out of view.

Healing: +1 EP (26/30).
Should we step only on quartz, step only on granite, or cross the room normally?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Granite

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Quartz. Let's not take things for granite.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Granite

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cross normally. I see no reason not to trust this room.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Granite

Do we ever find out who "The Ancients" were? From my memory of later books that dosn't action dosn't seem to match any of the old races that pop up later.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
$10 it's the work of the indigenous peoples of Kalte, but Lone Wolf thinks a superior race must have done it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Crystal traps demons, quartz is crystal, therefore step only on granite.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Do we ever find out who "The Ancients" were? From my memory of later books that dosn't action dosn't seem to match any of the old races that pop up later.
I assume the Shianti, but I'm not sure if it's ever definitively stated. We might find out later though? :shrug:

Good choice!

You carefully make your way across the temple floor until you are standing next to the altar. The statue seems cold and lifeless, but you sense that someone or something is trapped within. You can almost hear their desperate cries for release.

Healing: +1 EP (27/30).
Smash it or just leave?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
How do we even know the demon is guilty? Smash it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nothing wrong can come from smashing something we were specifically warned not to smash, so I say smash it anyway because Kai Sixth Sense is not the boss of me :colbert:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Leave it alone. Now I don't trust this place.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I assume the Shianti, but I'm not sure if it's ever definitively stated. We might find out later though? :shrug:

The supplemental Magnamund Companion confirms this, and states that the Shianti built Ikaya. It also mentions that the Shianti (who appeared about 6000 years before present) were known by various names including the Ancients, Majhan, and Suukon. The Shianti actually came through a 'shadow gate' themselves, of course.

I feel like smashing things up, to quote Matthew Slaughter.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leave

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

We should have learned our lesson about smashing things the last two times. Leave

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Leave it be.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Leave the statue alone. We are not paid any extra for vandalism.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Thats a lot of votes for vandalism we have specifically been warned against.

Leave it

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Leave the damned (hah) demon alone.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Xarn posted:

Thats a lot of votes for vandalism we have specifically been warned against.

Leave it

Also, it's a warning that specifically comes about from having a specific Kai Discipline (Sixth Sense, and you need to have seven Kai Disciplines to boot!), and those are the kind you either listen to or get hosed.

Let the demon be. It ain't going anywhere on our watch.

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 3, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

We should have learned our lesson about smashing things the last two times. Leave
Smashing the statue does seem like a bad idea, but we actually have everything we need to come out unharmed, and if we'd been lucky we may have found a very useful item. If we'd been unlucky we could also have found a very dangerous item though. But we've missed out on both of them now.

The Caverns of Kalte" posted:

As you pass through the archway, you notice a lever set into the dark stone wall. You pull it and a door slides across, sealing the temple behind you. The temperature is warmer and you can hear a low rumbling sound somewhere in the distance. Ahead, you can see a light at the end of a dark passageway. You discover that it is shining out of an oblong portal, close to the floor, through which you can see a corridor ten feet below.

Healing: +1 EP (28/30).
Drop down to the lower floor or stay on this level and continue further down the passageway?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think we should be on the level. No tricks here.

This book was the one that I liked a lot more when I was younger, and it felt very Indiana Jones. I think when I came back to it later I found it feels a bit meandering, like why we're sort of stumbling through this ancient trapped tomb that we never intended to enter.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Drop down

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Drop down and see what's up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Press the action button to drop down.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Press the action button to drop down.

Voting thusly purely for the clever reference.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kangra posted:

This book was the one that I liked a lot more when I was younger, and it felt very Indiana Jones. I think when I came back to it later I found it feels a bit meandering, like why we're sort of stumbling through this ancient trapped tomb that we never intended to enter.
This is actually the place we were trying to get to, we just got a bit lost along the way and arrived by a different route. But this is Ikaya, the fortress where Vonotar is holed up.

The_White_Crane posted:

Voting thusly purely for the clever reference.
I don't get it. :confused:

Holding your equipment and your breath, you try to land as quietly as you can on the dusty floor of the corridor. Unfortunately, you twist your ankle in the fall and cannot stifle a yelp of pain. Lose 1 ENDURANCE point. Then, to your horror, you see an Ice Barbarian seated less than thirty feet away to your left. His head is slowly turning in your direction. However, a quick glance to your right reveals another corridor heading north, less than fifteen feet from where you now kneel.

The stone walls of the corridor are covered with strange carvings, which cast deep shadows. Using your skill in Camouflage, you hide yourself in their gloom. The Ice Barbarian walks slowly towards you, his movements tense and unsteady. Your skin crawls as you notice for the first time his white pupil-less eyes. Holding your breath, you pray that he has not seen you.

There's a die roll here. We were not lucky.

The Ice Barbarian screams a low, unnatural cry. You have been spotted and you know you must silence him quickly before he alerts the whole of Ikaya to your presence. You turn to fight.

Healing: +1 EP (29/30).

The Ice Barbarian slowly advances, his white pupil-less eyes sending a shiver down your spine. In his right hand, he clutches a bone scimitar. Although it is raised to strike, his movements are stiff and unsteady as if he were attacking against his will. He is immune to Mindblast.

Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 29

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 29
Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 29
Combat Ratio: 10

We roll: 2
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 26
Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 20

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 26
Ice Barbarian: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

A tooth-encrusted Bone Sword lies at the Barbarian’s side. You may take this weapon if you wish. You search his body and also discover a Gold Bracelet on his left wrist.

Healing: +1 EP (27/30).

Your Kai Sixth Sense reveals an aura of power encircling the Gold Bracelet that makes you feel uneasy. The Ice Barbarians rely on tooth and bone for their weapons because there are no mines in Kalte. Not only gold but all metals are considered rare and precious; you have never heard of the Ice Barbarians trading their furs for any metal other than steel. Jewellery is of no interest to these hard and cruel hunters. You suspect that this Bracelet was worn by force and not by choice.

We'll take the sword since we have a spare weapon slot, but should we take and wear the bracelet, or leave it and move on?

This is a sort of bonus section. Whether you stay on the upper floor or drop to the lower you end up in the same place, but on the lower floor you get this encounter first.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hate to break rule 1 but leave it,seems cursed.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Wear it, what could possibly go wrong?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Leave the bracelet alone, it'll probably rot our arm off or turn us into a radish or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tiggum- That line is from a video game. Sadly I’ve forgotten which one. Maybe White Crane remembers. Edit- I just remembered- Metal Gear. :)

Bracelet bad. Leave it.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 3, 2017