Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

If you really want a mindfuck, go back and actually play your favorite games from two decades ago.

I don't recommend doing that if you want to hold on to any ideas about how good they actually were, including Half-Life 2 and the original XCOM series.

See, this gets said a lot but I have replayed HL2 (3 times) and both the episodes through twice, nothing else scratches that itch. I still play CIV4, I haven't played anything turn based that beats it (although I have yet to play Stellaris, sorry Wiz). I actually have Julian Gollops old Xcom games on a lovely Toshiba laptop running Windows 98 and I fire them up from time to time. There's truth in the nostalgia thing but honestly these are really good games. Julian Gollop's AI *is* the game in that old stuff. It's *because* I still play a lot of this old stuff that I get frustrated with modern games.

I also have an Android remake of Lords of Midnight, haven't got stuck into it yet.

There was a faithful remake of the original UFO which I always intended to check out, I played the original over an entire year and it was ridiculously epic. Hired Guns on the Amiga was a sublime work of pure genius (PC remake got canned after a couple of years I think), it took 4 of us playing once a week on a Friday night months to complete it, and I haven't seen anything come close to the same style of co op gameplay. That game was designed specifically as 4 player co op and some of the teamwork and pre-planning needed was amazing.

I think the rose tinted glasses thing with older games is part truth part myth. There's a lot of really excellent stuff that still holds up. And the common thing between most of them seems to be that they were the first game to do X or Y or Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I have, and it turns out OG StarCraft is still just as good today as it was in 1998, and that's even before the new HD texture options and junk that they came out with this year.
yeah it was trash then and is p much trash now, glad you agree

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 2, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

See, this gets said a lot but I have replayed HL2 (3 times) and both the episodes through twice, nothing else scratches that itch. I still play CIV4, I haven't played anything turn based that beats it (although I have yet to play Stellaris, sorry Wiz). I actually have Julian Gollops old Xcom games on a lovely Toshiba laptop running Windows 98 and I fire them up from time to time. There's truth in the nostalgia thing but honestly these are really good games. Julian Gollop's AI *is* the game in that old stuff. It's *because* I still play a lot of this old stuff that I get frustrated with modern games.

I also have an Android remake of Lords of Midnight, haven't got stuck into it yet.

There was a faithful remake of the original UFO which I always intended to check out, I played the original over an entire year and it was ridiculously epic. Hired Guns on the Amiga was a sublime work of pure genius (PC remake got canned after a couple of years I think), it took 4 of us playing once a week on a Friday night months to complete it, and I haven't seen anything come close to the same style of co op gameplay. That game was designed specifically as 4 player co op and some of the teamwork and pre-planning needed was amazing.

I think the rose tinted glasses thing with older games is part truth part myth. There's a lot of really excellent stuff that still holds up. And the common thing between most of them seems to be that they were the first game to do X or Y or Z
man did the new xcom games do nothing for you or what

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

and by the way, the first deus ex came out over 17 years ago

if you played it 10 years ago, it was already an old rear end fuckin game (that has aged absolutely horribly, by the way)

Yeah I played it when it came out and replayed it about 10 years ago. It had aged horribly even then but by the time I got to Hong Kong I was THERE. Sneaking around that mansion to steal the big light sword thing, scoping it all out before hand, infiltrating the big office building - loving amazing. There isn't a game that even attempts that stuff now. For the gameplay to carry that game with the graphics looking so dated and the combat being so basic it has to be something really special.

The sequels put a big blob on the screen to tell you where to go and the levels were a fraction of the size. And the writing and dialogue was diabolical. Deus Ex HR was the first game I ever took back to the shop to refund.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Bubbacub posted:

code:

Inth
            elast5
           00years,                                    theF
           ourthStim                                pirehasd
           ominatedfou                            rsystems,w
           hichithasunitedintoonestar           zone,Stimsis
           .TheFourthStimpirehasoriginsfromtheTenEmpireWari
           nwhich10oftheUnitedStimpiresrevoltedagainsteachr
           ules.Allempiresexceptforthefourthsworefreedomup
            ontheircitizens.ThereisnofreespeechintheFourth
            Stimpire,andalself-controlledtransportationha
            sbeenmadeillegalwithoutundergoingpainfulmedi
           calverificationmethods,inwhicharteriesareseve
           redwithoutpainresistant,operatedentirelybymac
           hines.Thewaytheyworkclaimtobethemosthygenicand
           healthywaypossible,butthesemachinesoftenrubag
           ainstpainpoints,causinggreatdealsofpaintopatien
            ts.Theheartisthenextractedfromthebodyandplacedint
            oaglassgrindingmachine.Variousenergycentersarealsodissect
             edandreplacedwithdangeroustransplants.Afterthepainful,52hoursu
             rgicalprocedure,patientswillthenhavetouseafusedguidancetool,which
            pumpspainfulresistorsintothebodyevery2hours.Thepaintheyhavecausedisso
           bad,thevictimwouldfreezeinatenseposition.Theywouldthencollapseafterwards.
           SexualstimulationinanywaywithinthegroundsoftheFourthStimpireisstrictlyprohib
           ited,andanyonedetectedeventouchingtheirsexualorganswillbesubjectedtoapenectom
           yoriftheoffenderwasafemale,theywouldthenhavearazorinsertedintotheirovaries.They
           wouldpumpabluesolutionintothewombuntilthestitchingsburst.Offenderswouldalsobeforc
           edtoshowtheiroperatedareasinpublic,andtheywouldalwaysharassandpunchthemtoapulp,agai
           nsttheirwill.Otherwise,offenderswouldbetazedwiththeworsttypeofelectricityinthesystema
            ticdistrict,causingsomuchpain,thevictimwouldscreamandflailinmadness.Thepainwouldalso
             tripleeverysecond,butnodeathwouldbeincurred.Thisisalsousedincombatagainstenemyunits,w
             hichiswhyallUEEforcesmustweartheupgradedsuittoblockthiseffect.However,enertainmentisals
              oquestionableinUEEgrounds.Sportingeventsendwiththelosingteambeingroundedintoagrinderan
              dshreddedonlivetelevision,boxingmatchesendwiththeloserhavingtheirhandsremovedwithoutana
               sthesia,flightraceswouldendwiththelosershavingtheirarmsandlegsremoved,thenbeinginjecte
               dwithinsanity,forentertainment.Peoplearealsoforcedintotheseevents,byundergoingapainful
               127hourprocedurewhichinvolvestweakingthemusclessotheywillnotlistentobraincommands,andth
                enhavingapainfuldruginjectedwhichalsocausesmadnessiftheplayerisnotsporting.Thisisallfore
               ntertainment,andanyonenotwatchinganyofitduringsportingtimesandcheeringforthewinningteam,th
               eywillbeimprisonedintogalacticcamps.Snufffilmsarealsobroadcast,andactorsareactuallymurdered
               justforentertainment.Stealthdroidsalsoguidetheseforcedactorsintobehavingexactlyasthedirector
               dreams,otherwisetheywillbepunishedbybeingplacedintoamaceratorandhavingtheirexecutionwrittenin
               tothefilm.Anyfilmthatdoesnotfeaturesomeonebeingmurderedwillbeburnedandtheentirecrewbehinditwil
               lbeexecutedinthemostgrotesquewaypossible-vivisection.Allexecutionsarebroadcast,andanyonewhomis
               sesevenamillisecond,evenbyblinking,willbeexecuted.Allcitizensmustbootothepersonbeingexecuted,and
               thefamilyisgathere     dtobeinjectedwitheternators,whichcausepainforever,makingthemimmoralbutfeel                          ingthe
               paintenfoldeverymi         llisecond.Theycannotpassout,buttheywillfeellikeitforever.Conquestsbythis                  Stimpireendthe               
               planetbeingrazed,                andallthecitizensbeingexecutedinthesamewayastheircitizen sare.Thepla         netisthendestroyedandall
               remnantsofitarer                    emoved,andanymemoriesofitwillbeerasedinstantlyfromcivilminds.Peoplewhoarealsokilledarealsoerasedf
               rommemories,and                     allmemoriesofthem,includingtoysandpictures,aredestroyed.Prisonersundergo40,000yearsofrelentlessa
               ndendlesslabor,                      andanyonenotcomplyingissentencedtotheeternatorinjection.Allprisonersinjectedwitheternatorsar
               eplacedintocap                       sulesandlaunchedintofarspace,thentheroomisclosedtighttoensuremaximuminsanity.Someprisone
               rsarealsosubj                        ectedtotheremovalofblood,thel    ungs,theliver,t    hegenitals,theskeleton,themus
               cles,theeyes,                        andeventheinjectionofpressur       e.Prisonersse     ntencedtopressurechambe
               rsarelockedi                         nuntiltheyareinflatedtoahig         hlevel.Thed           ecompression
              isthenstopped                          tomakesuretheyareinflate          danduncomfor
              table.Childr                            enbornonthe14thofJuly           aresubjectedt
             otheremovalof                           theirskeletonandanim            plantofasilve
            rliquidtorepl                        aceit.Thenervoussysemi            salsoinjectedi
         nvariouspartsto                        ensureitisfivetimesmo             resensitivethan
      heaverage.Restaur                        antsalsoareorderedtose            rvecivilmeat,and
     anyoneattendingmu                          stgivethemselfuptobeco            okedintoagrote
    squemeal.Theyarec                                  ookedalive,unde            
     rgoingextreme                                       pain,andaret
        ensu                                               bjectedt

holy smokes that's a :five:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

With Derek broken and gone something jones has stepped up to the throne.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

man did the new xcom games do nothing for you or what

I was actually gifted the first XCom remake by a mate and I spent a day with it. When I realised that the aliens didn't actually have a 'turn' but were statically placed until you spotted them, then they came 'to life' I actually uninstalled it.

The whole entire joy of the XCom games is that you place your squad, the enemies are placed, then you take turns in taking control of the game. Why they did it like this I have no idea, it just killed it for me.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

reverend crabhands posted:

Wow, this has become like a Shitizen thread.

Yeah i was wondering how /r/DerekSmart managed to skin the subreddit like SA.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I'd also like to formally apologize for my most recent mental meltdown, and thank Derek profusely for his which stole my meltdown valor. I have a lot to learn about meltdown development.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

I was actually gifted the first XCom remake by a mate and I spent a day with it. When I realised that the aliens didn't actually have a 'turn' but were statically placed until you spotted them, then they came 'to life' I actually uninstalled it.

The whole entire joy of the XCom games is that you place your squad, the enemies are placed, then you take turns in taking control of the game. Why they did it like this I have no idea, it just killed it for me.
I think you might need some hardcore grognard games, man. What you're searching for ain't gonna be mass produced.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like that's not an insult or anything, so please don't take it that way. I think you just need a more hardcore, less streamlined and ultimately rewarding gameplay experience

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

yeah it was trash then and is p much trash now, glad you agree

I'm feeling lazy so just pretend I edited your post with a "user was put on probation" gag.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
there's game out there with what you're looking for but man, um, they are loving intense. some of these games will make derek smart look like a loving GUI genius

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm feeling lazy so just pretend I edited your post with a "user was put on probation" gag.

I wouldn't have pretended :colbert:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I get real mad at RTS multiplayer games. Especially Blizzard RTS multiplayer games. Actually, only Blizzard RTS multiplayer games.

I can't help it. It's a sickness.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jones, I really would try out RimWorld before diving into the crazy world of grognard games. There's not a whole lot of handholding there and the poo poo that can happen...is fun. Well, fun-ish.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
More like ctrl + s + alt

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty rare that games can keep me up past my early rear end bedtime, but Stellaris and RimWorld can no problem. It's the one-more-turn syndrome I suffer with Civ games as well.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

tuo posted:

Sorry for getting off topic for a moment, but did any-loving-thing happen regarding Star Citizen? Like...anything? Or was this "we had a go/no-go meeting - which is totally good sign of progress - and decided no-go, btw buy this concept jpeg tia" seriously all? No meltdowns? No refunds? No WTFO-I-hate-my-life-moments?

We don't care about Star Citizen anymore. Check back in 3 weeks for Citizencon. Sandi has a movie premiere, or something, before then. She might show off her shoe designs at some point.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Some of the strategy and tactics games covered in The Flare Path column might be up you alley SomethingJones.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/the-flare-path/

There is some very cool stuff there which is not widely covered on games websites.

[edit] For a given value of cool...

Munin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 2, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

I think you might need some hardcore grognard games, man. What you're searching for ain't gonna be mass produced.

Board games, tabletop games, pen & paper RPGs and even play by mail games - I was into all of it. Buckets of dice. Turns arriving through the post. Sending loose change in an envelope to some bloke along with your handwritten instructions, opening the envelope a week later to see what happened.

Subscriptions to photocopied fanzines. Flagship Magazine.

Loads of those guys went into the videogames industry, I think even Scott Johnson ran a play by mail game back in the day.

The guy who created the Cyberpunk 2020 pen & paper RPG is working with CD Projekt Red. I played the original RPG, it actually didn't have a well designed ruleset, there was better stuff at the time (the Shadowrun stuff was superior).

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Munin posted:

Some of the strategy and tactics games covered in The Flare Path column might be up you alley SomethingJones.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/the-flare-path/

There is some very cool stuff there which is not widely covered on games websites.

[edit] For a given value of cool...

gently caress, didn't know that existed! Thanks for that, I shall be checking that right out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

That hosed the first one for me but the second one was wacky enough that I wasn't constantly thinking about how diluted it was. It also had a lot more concern about enemy placement and that moment of perfect ambush that made the OG so great.

Though only once per map usually, then you 'broke cover' and blah.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

having learned DF complexity i think rimword is too simple for my liking, but i can understand why people like it more. Its because it takes less time to learn.

now derek's game could easily double its sales by having better UI. There was moment during space battle where UC actually looked fun and hectic.
But then you were forced to navigate menus for minutes, that isnt fun. That is equivalent to airlock cycling in SC. in both cases your wasting player's time.
Hell even derek was confused for few seconds when his cheat menu was messing up his attempt to beam troops down to planet surface.
That could have been avoided by having proper cheat menu somewhere. Hell even having cheats as console commands would have been better.
It is fantastic that derek likes to go routes other developers arent going. For example allowing players to spawn anywhere in LOD is pretty novel Idea for fps (someone should copy it). But with UI you should really look at what other developers do, it would multiply your sales.

Now that's what constructive feedback looks like. Thank you.

And yes, I was stomped as to why the transporter was beaming people up, but not down. Until I remembered that I was playing with cheats on, and that it uses that same interface and overloads the commands. I simply refactored that interface to allow me to warp anywhere in the game world without having to travel there. e.g. If you recall in the stream, rather than fly 20K km to the base, I went to space, then came back down over it. Normally I would have used that cheat for that; but my team would be left behind - 20KM away.

It has nothing to do with where the cheats menu was, and it's unrelated to that. Here is an explanation from the game's cheat guide that explains why it was happening.

quote:

Use the transporter to warp to any location on the current planet. In TACOPS (1) select transporter (2) select a position using setpos (3) select deploy (even if it’s not highlighted) to warp to the new position. WARNING: This cheat DISABLES the
ability to use the transporter normally.

And the cheats won't work as a console command because 1) the game has no console 2) the nature of the cheats requires it to have a menu because from that menu, you can select various actions, including creating entities for testing e.g. If I add new ship model from the modelers, I don't need to write a game script to test it in the game engine. I just fire up the game, pick the roam/sandbox scenarios, and use that menu to create the ship in front of me.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ctrl+c

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wiz posted:

I will agree with on you this: there are absolutely a ton of toxic people out there whose only investment in a game is to hate on its creators, and they do wear you down. Still, that's no reason to go nuclear over UI feedback. If you have a reason for doing what you do, be secure in that instead of feeling the need to go claws out if someone criticizes it. I get plenty of feedback that is constructive but otherwise worthless, people trying to redesign your game without any understanding of why the design it as it is, or who don't themselves understand what they want out of the game. I usually ignore it, if I respond I'll typically just explain why I don't think the feedback is a good idea and move on.

True. But I didn't go nuclear. I simply chose to "respond in the same spirit in which the criticism was tendered". It's perfectly normal to me, and I never professed to be a beacon of sound judgement when it comes to discourse.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

TheAgent posted:

It's pretty rare that games can keep me up past my early rear end bedtime, but Stellaris and RimWorld can no problem. It's the one-more-turn syndrome I suffer with Civ games as well.

same

I often think the common thread between the three titles you've mentioned is that the process of playing those games *creates* a story, rather than trying to tell one.

But I don't want to throw a narratology vs ludology grenade into this thread. :P

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

like that's not an insult or anything, so please don't take it that way. I think you just need a more hardcore, less streamlined and ultimately rewarding gameplay experience

Not at all! Honestly it would take a lot to upset me.

I'm also kinda hoping that my posting is giving more of an impression of me and my personality rather than coming across as a big rant or whatever. The games I was always into were at one time pretty common and mainstream, and there were tons of people into it all with the same enthusiasm I always had so to me it was just normal, these were just 'games', I never thought of them as 'hardcore' just 'games'.

Anyway loving great suggestions guys, appreciate it.

Anyway this all started as me waving the flag for the guys out there making wacky loving mindbending stuff because I really wish there was more of that instead of less. I get that there are well established conventions and expectations but every once in a while you have to say gently caress it and just make something different.

I'm spent, I'm off to bed, I will check out some of the game suggestions next week

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Didn't you say, in this very thread, that you would stop calling people Nazis?

Except I wasn't calling anyone Nazis. :colbert:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

*holds power button down*

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

quote:

Shadowlyger posted:
On one hand, I'm not going to defend Derek's keybinding. On the other hand, I've no sympathy for people who don't read the manual before complaining about the controls.

I don't disagree but this a Derek manual we're talking about

http://3000ad.com/downloads/ucce30/GAME_COMMANDS.PDF

:stare:

Ah! But he said "controls". Not manuals. And the controls/commands are only 4 pages :grin:

http://3000ad.com/downloads/ucce30/GAME_COMMANDS.PDF

ps: How to quit the game is on page 1

XK
Jul 9, 2001

You implicitly called me a Nazi, Derek. And it was very hurtful.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

Board games, tabletop games, pen & paper RPGs and even play by mail games - I was into all of it. Buckets of dice. Turns arriving through the post. Sending loose change in an envelope to some bloke along with your handwritten instructions, opening the envelope a week later to see what happened.

Subscriptions to photocopied fanzines. Flagship Magazine.

Loads of those guys went into the videogames industry, I think even Scott Johnson ran a play by mail game back in the day.

The guy who created the Cyberpunk 2020 pen & paper RPG is working with CD Projekt Red. I played the original RPG, it actually didn't have a well designed ruleset, there was better stuff at the time (the Shadowrun stuff was superior).
I think this is a good list of games you should look at

Divinity Original Sin 2: Excellent and punishing turn based combat. Absolutely no loving hand holding. You want to make a party of all necromancers that charge into battle? Go for it. There are quest makers and things like that, but can be disabled if you desire. Quests are more than just mundane crap.
Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall: Again, good turn based combat. A lot more hand holdey than DOS2, but still fun. The original Shadowun wasn't as great as it's sequel.
RimWorld: A magical place where you can become riddled with blood born parasites after eating your lovers leg in cannibalistic fashion. Barely there hand holding, random generated poo poo happening constantly. No game is really alike.
Subnautica: Great for exploration. More of a survival game with a twist, but still enjoyable.
Satellite Reign: Basically the classic Bullfrog game Syndicate reborn.
Crusader Kings II: Prepare to marry your own daughter and then sacrifice her to Satan. Intricate but well designed, with an absolute poo poo ton of poo poo to do in a single turn.
Wasteland 2: Pretty much as 90s as it gets, man. Design and all.
Hard West: Good for a rootin tootin shootin good time.
Vampire TM Bloodlines: Why not give it a go if you never played or replay it sometime?
Alien Isolation: Yeah, crank up the difficulty for a real pants making GBS threads and frustrating experience.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Anyone wanting a freeform game experience that's going to last for hours and hours and oh poo poo is it really 2 in the morning should play factorio.

It's a game that alternates between making you feel clever for working out how to do something and then 40 minutes later feel completely stupid for doing it in such an inefficient fashion because you've worked out a better way. With no upper bound.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

McGiggins posted:

Holy poo poo thread, let the good warlord sleep.

Also please be aware that he simultaneously has both more and less fucks to give than you about the subject under discussion, so it's unclear why you're feeding the Derek.

Also, Derek unfriended me on Facebook. My life is ruined and I'll never have a relationship even slightly as fulfilling.

He did have some interesting tech posts I enjoyed reading :(

I don't unfriend people on Facebook because I go through a stringent procedure to vet and accept them in the first place. So I don't know if you're just joking, or if it did happen. In case of the latter, just message me on FB.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

You know what, if he's making a living at it and people are buying and playing his stuff I say gently caress it.

If I'd been doing something for 30 years and got laughed at for doing it wrong my reaction might be exactly the same, even if I was actually doing it wrong.

That's what Derek makes, that's his thing, it's like you listen to the latest Bjork single she did with that producer who's name I forget who makes mental sounding stuff, and you think 'Bjork has really left the loving planet now' but that's her, that's what she does, that's her thing

Derek is like the Bjork of gaming, an abnormality, the round peg in the square hole, some see craziness, others see genius. Bjerrik.

Gaming in 2017 is a sea of loving blandness, if Derek wants Esc to bring up a command menu then that's your sign right there that you're in a whole other way of thinking, old rules don't apply, abandon ye hope.

Sorry Beet this is not a rant at you, I just used your post to jump off into another perspective.

:perfect:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

TheAgent posted:

Fortunately, the single "rockstar" developer thing has faded into a kind of mythology (idiots pledging to Chris Roberts notwithstanding). No one, today (or really at any time), builds a AAA game alone. Even the design of the game falls across multiple people, sometimes dozens.

It's hard to point out to a success now and say "It was all because of this one man." Even Hideo Kojima acknowledges that without his staff and design team, he's nothing.

while that is true there are arguably still rockstar devs in the indie scene like toby fox, eric barone, jonathan blow and others which just makes somethingjones argument even weaker

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Except I wasn’t calling anyone Nazis. :colbert:

D_Smart posted:

How about no? And gently caress you? Trying to tell me how to I choose to respond to something.

loving Nazis.

:allears:

never change

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

Derek's stream was a really dumb idea

Please explain why you think so. And do so safe in the thought that over 130 people didn't think so. Not to mention the emails and messages that followed.

As I told someone on Discord, I didn't want to do it. Here is what I said:

quote:

Yeah. They were shocked. You see, most of those clowns don't know anything about my games. They're just parrotting the same poo poo that they read somewhere.
This is one of the reasons why I decided to do the stream. It's not something I really wanted to do because it would come off as me showing off. It's not my style. Warlording is more my thing. But I felt that I had no choice when people kept posting poo poo as if they thought I was just making stuff up when I said there is nothing in SC that I hadn't done before.
I think they're going to cry when they see the first pass of the new visuals. That's why I didn't want to play that version yet, until some more of the 3D assets were already in place.
===
Yup. And yeah, the game has no modules. It's all one seamless experience. I think when I was telling people that being on the planet, the stuff going on in space was still happening - and vice versa - some (except those who own/play the game and know that already) were skeptical. That's why I kept going back and forth. Then the final time, I engaged in that massive frantic fleet battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I didn’t want to do it

The Reluctant Wahlord