Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think it's reasonable there could be low-scale corruption in the form of small groups of players, umps or officials conspiring to influence a game so they win at Sportsbet, but playing kingmaker for the GF would require too many people in on it for it not to blow up in the league's face somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It was Elon Musk that did it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm more than okay with us not paying two first round picks for Lever so hey Collingwood, go for broke

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The AFL rigging the league to get whatever outcome they want is like the DNC rigging the primaries to get Clinton nominated - there's no smoking gun, just a lot of small, plausibly deniable things, and the 'vibe'

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm more than okay with us not paying two first round picks for Lever so hey Collingwood, go for broke

Rucci reported Lever to Collingwood, so expect Lever to announce Melbourne this afternoon

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally if you gave me today the option that Melbourne would win a grand final win in 2050, and not a second sooner, or for us to take our chances year in year out, I'd take 2050 in a heartbeat

Youve gone officially flippo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Youve gone officially flippo.

If you drew each premiership out of a hat there'd still be a 15% chance we wouldn't win one in that period, even if the league doesn't expand beyond 18 teams.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I just microwaved my membership card to the club for "people who make cheap jokes about Richmond fans microwaving their membership cards".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I see NTRabbit has become a guest writer for The Roar:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/10/01/fourth-year-row-afl-spoonfeeds-victoria-flag/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Given Adelaide couldn't even beat Melbourne on their home deck I think this guy might want to rethink (think?) his argument

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

This page is so salty I’m afraid it may have given me hypertension.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Given Adelaide couldn't even beat Melbourne on their home deck I think this guy might want to rethink (think?) his argument

Or a pretty bad Hawthorn.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
right in front of me

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Meanwhile the Storm win the NRL grand final which is always played in Sydney

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think the shape of the ground is more of an advantage than the crowd. Teams that don't play at the MCG often struggle with the width, in particular getting through the opposition's defensive zone and getting lost in the pocket. The 45 degree chip kick from the back flank into the middle of the ground that Adelaide like to do becomes a 25-30 metre kick at the MCG rather than a 20 metre one, and hence a lot more risky, so they didn't try it very often, and reverted to bombing down the line to contests where they were outnumbered all day.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Remember a few years ago when the Tigers finally convinced the council to let them alter Punt Road to the same dimensions as the MCG?

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 2, 2017

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Oval size is definitely a bigger factor than the crowd I think. I remember a really detailed breakdown of the Hawks/Eagles final that showed just how badly the web defence the Eagles were so good at that year completely failed on the G and how Hawthorn knew exactly how to exploit it (credit also to Clarko there). I know a lot of teams are trying to adapt - Essendon have both a Docklands and MCG dimensions grounds at their training base and apparently Freo’s new training oval is so big that it can have its boundaries changed to mimick any ground in Aus. That’ll help but it’s no substitute for playing consistent competitive matches there.

Also, Adelaide couldn’t even beat us by 100 points this year, so they’re confirmed frauds. They actually have to be one of the least convincing minor premiers in a long time? It feels like this year was such a weird one with champion teams on the decline and new champion teams not yet “there” that to be considered good this year, you didn’t have to really be THAT good.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 2, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

After reading a little bit of the crows bigfooty forum I'm a lot more at peace with the tigers win

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hawks have sacked their CEO five months into the job :siren:CLUB IN CRISIS:siren:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
List management news:

Brendon Ah Chee has informed the Power he will be looking for a new club during the NAB AFL Trade Period. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-02/required-power-midfielder-asks-for-trade

SHANE Mumford is seeking medical advice on his injured foot and degenerative knee before deciding whether to fulfil the final year of his contract at Greater Western Sydney. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-02/giant-decision-mummy-considering-his-future

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hawks have sacked their CEO five months into the job :siren:CLUB IN CRISIS:siren:

Yeah like what the gently caress.
Were they unaware of who they were hiring?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

thepokey posted:

Also, Adelaide couldn’t even beat us by 100 points this year, so they’re confirmed frauds. They actually have to be one of the least convincing minor premiers in a long time? It feels like this year was such a weird one with champion teams on the decline and new champion teams not yet “there” that to be considered good this year, you didn’t have to really be THAT good.

It could feel like teams aren't "there" since they don't have a recent history of success that makes them appear like the reigning powerhouses Hawthorn and Sydney were. Adelaide had some bad games but they felt apart from the pack to me, dominating the top 4 sides except on Saturday. Jury's out on whether Richmond are at the start of something big or had one good year, but aside from some marquee Richmonding they were consistently very good. They won their finals by an average of 40 points or thereabouts.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Schlesische posted:

SA's Department of Premier and Cabinet had to sack their Chief Information Officer after discovering she had fabricated her work experience and qualifications, and used multiple identities to act as her own reference, so any thing is possible I guess.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

It could feel like teams aren't "there" since they don't have a recent history of success that makes them appear like the reigning powerhouses Hawthorn and Sydney were. Adelaide had some bad games but they felt apart from the pack to me, dominating the top 4 sides except on Saturday. Jury's out on whether Richmond are at the start of something big or had one good year, but aside from some marquee Richmonding they were consistently very good. They won their finals by an average of 40 points or thereabouts.

Just to argue the other side of the dumb argument from salty Crows, look at how many teams regularly lose at home. Or just remember how Brisbane dominated GFs (or WCE, etc). Adelaide beat Hawthorn at the G in round 2 (well it was April Fools Day). There's this sense from the salty ones that there has to be some underlying logic under this but look at this bizarre season and you realise it's just luck whatever the preparation. GWS gets thrashed by Swans, yes, then they go and smash Hawthorn the next week.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Watching NFL send halp

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Schlesische posted:

Foxfooty are saying she got a lot of bad feedback from the footy department and club staff. Still pretty surprising. Hawthorn are a mess! Disaster! Basketcases!

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
We will carry on

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

And the Bulldogs had beaten Sydney the last three times that they had played prior to the premiership and had a winning record in finals against them.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

SHANE Mumford is seeking medical advice on his injured foot and degenerative knee before deciding whether to fulfil the final year of his contract at Greater Western Sydney. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-02/giant-decision-mummy-considering-his-future

gently caress off fat boy

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

How does free agency compo work exactly?

Motlop was on a big fat contract because of his '13 form, and reportedly that a big part of the problem with him is that he was simply being paid too much. Do we get extra good cool compo if he leaves because we put him on a big contract or does it depend on the contract Port stick him on? I know the latter seems more sensible but this is the AFL so I genuinely don't know.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Motlop was on a big fat contract because of his '13 form, and reportedly that a big part of the problem with him is that he was simply being paid too much. Do we get extra good cool compo if he leaves because we put him on a big contract or does it depend on the contract Port stick him on? I know the latter seems more sensible but this is the AFL so I genuinely don't know.

It's the offered contract.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

It's the latter.
If it works like it did a couple years ago then the AFL comes out with these bands of which salary get what draft pick.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Yeah compo is determined by the contract they get at the new club. It's the reason why Freo were able to get Brad Hill easily cos they got overs in compo from Collingwood dropping stupid money on Mayne

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
This has been a good and fun thread to catch up on.
I was at the game and have watched a lot of the replay. Didn't think the umpires contributed to the outcome of the game.
In saying that, I've been going to the footy for 25 years and can't say I've ever seen a game where I thought the umpires actually changed the outcome, so it was unlikely to start in a grand final either.

hiddenmovement posted:

Remember a few years ago when the Tigers finally convinced the council to let them alter Punt Road to the same dimensions as the MCG?

They built a ground out at Cardinia which is the MCG dimensions but Punt Road is actually the same spec as Etihad.
They would have needed to knock the Jack Dyer stand down or close a lane on Punt Road to make it as wide as the MCG.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think the reasonable consensus is that Richmond had the rub of the green but that it doesn't matter given Adelaide didn't bother turning up to play.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It wasn’t that bad, though. The team that wins the flag is nearly always derided for having the rub of the green. It’s the Australian way.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The team that wins the flag is usually a Victorian team over an interstate team too

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sure if you pretend the afl started in 2013

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

The team that wins the flag is usually a Victorian team over an interstate team too

Since 82 there have been 17 years without a non Victorian grand finalist, 3 years with both finalists non-Victorian, 8 times when a Victorian has beaten a non-Victorian and 8 times when a non-Victorian has beaten a Victorian :confused:

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Since 82 there have been 17 years without a non Victorian grand finalist, 3 years with both finalists non-Victorian, 8 times when a Victorian has beaten a non-Victorian and 8 times when a non-Victorian has beaten a Victorian :confused:

That's just what the DEEP STATE want you to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If we go back as far as 2000, two interstate sides have beaten Victorian sides in Grand Finals - Brisbane, one of the greatest sides in modern history, and Sydney in 2012 which was only because Hawthorn shat the bed and couldn't kick straight.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting a conspiracy or anything, just that Victorian sides have a significant natural advantage over interstate sides in grand finals.

• Locked thread