Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
He lacks love And courage so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

MonsieurChoc posted:

You say this as if Quebec was more racist than the rest of Canada. I've got some news from you, the whole country is racist.

Agreed.

Chantal Hebert had an interesting take: that all claims against a Sikh politician might be unsuccessful in Quebec are based on the same assumptions that failed to predict Harper and Layton's success in Quebec.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/22/if-jagmeet-singh-wins-the-ndp-leadership-dont-assume-he-will-be-rejected-in-quebec-hbert.html

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So it's Trudeau vs Trudeau next election. Awesome.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
how will gq handle this?? theres only one cover a month

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How dare people dress well.

- a fat ugly goon

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

blah_blah posted:

Trudeau is gonna win again in a landslide, let's not kid ourselves.

Yeah. Singh is the same as Trudeau, except brown and wears a turban. He can't win.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

The Government of Saskatchewan is basically ignoring oil wells completely poisoning the air and making people sick

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/world/2017/10/01/that-rotten-stench-in-the-air-its-the-smell-of-deadly-gas-and-secrecy.html

Jesus, this is dire.

It's funny how so many of these stories involve a government regulator proposing harsh penalties for non-compliance (read: poisoning and killing people) including modest fines and strong finger wagging, followed by consultation with industry lobbyists where they say "nah no thanks", and the government shrugging and giving up.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oil is the economic lifeblood of canada u guys

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

It's a good idea to take a little break when you become emotionally invested in a leadership race.

If Helsing's posts have taught me anything it's better to shift our focus now to getting leftwing candidates nominated at the city and provincial level and work towards dragging the overton window kicking and screaming to the left.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

blah_blah posted:

Trudeau is gonna win again in a landslide, let's not kid ourselves.

It'll come down to a hair-off and I gotta say I bet Jagmeet has quite a lot under there

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Count Roland posted:

Yeah. Singh is the same as Trudeau, except brown and wears a turban. He can't win.

If you remove race from the equation you're still looking at an incumbent centrist with a progressive face versus a new centrist with a progressive face so unless the Libs decide to Lib real hard it's a no brainer.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The libs will gently caress up legalizing weed at the same time as the housing market collapses and President Trump will continue making an rear end of himself every day on twitter leaving Canada mad at PM Selfie and also not wanting to vote for a conservative because they won't want to give up the smug satisfaction of having a PM that the world swoons over.

Maybe.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Now that Sikh Trudeau is in charge and not Ashton or mulcair it’s time to start throwing cash at these shitheads again. If Trudeau thinks he’s got the hipster vote he’s :wrong: Singh has got a mean moustache and beard, all he needs to do is work out and wear a sleeveless cat shirt and he’s got them in the bag

E: http://www.sikh24.com/2017/10/02/jagmeet-singh-wins-to-become-new-leader-of-ndp-party-in-canada/#.WdGYKCdE3YU

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 2, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arabian Jesus posted:

It's a good idea to take a little break when you become emotionally invested in a leadership race.

If Helsing's posts have taught me anything it's better to shift our focus now to getting leftwing candidates nominated at the city and provincial level and work towards dragging the overton window kicking and screaming to the left.

Municipal elections are coming up in Montreal, and I've got no clue who to vote for.

Except Hadrien Parizeau. He was terrible as President of the Student Union at Ahuntsic College, so I wouldn't vote for him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nation excited to briefly consider Jagmeet Singh before giving Trudeau a second term

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
They're on fire :golfclap:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Beaverton is so drat good

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hahahaha

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
so i just passingly heard the terrorist from Edmonton was a refugee, hmmm

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Somalian from 2015

Better close our borders now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

so i just passingly heard the terrorist from Edmonton was a refugee, hmmm

Shut the gently caress up you hateful retarded piece of poo poo, stop loving posting here forever

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
He was also apparently reported to the RCMP for getting all radicaled up, but they didn't have anything to convict him with.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

CLAM DOWN posted:

Shut the gently caress up you hateful retarded piece of poo poo, stop loving posting here forever

the area i live in is having an unprecedented problem with opiate overdoses and we can't even get this under control, I'm sorry I brought up the fact a refugee tried to murder a lot of citizens

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Leofish posted:

He was also apparently reported to the RCMP for getting all radicaled up, but they didn't have anything to convict him with.

Oh, if only the Liberals hadn't canceled the pre-crime squad, if only.

Or maybe if there were some spectrum of response between "do nothing" and "jail him immediately". Some kind of community support or counseling. Nah.

Do it ironically posted:

the area i live in is having an unprecedented problem with opiate overdoses and we can't even get this under control, I'm sorry I brought up the fact a refugee tried to murder a lot of citizens

How do you see those two things as being related?

Do you think if we had let fewer refugees in, opioid abuse would somehow be less prevalent?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
you could argue that we're spending resources to bring in refugees while failing to help our own people i live in a high homeless area, someone's kid just stepped on a used needle the other day and i have to deal with homeless everyday including throwing needles into the yard (i rent), and i dont get mad but i have to educate my kids to know that they're homeless mostly because of being in foster care or mental illness and no family to help out but still tell them that you need to be cautious because there is a danger there. since i live in it i think we should focus on that. it boggles my mind no one ever grinds japan or china for not bringing in refugees it's just ok for them to be xenophobic and focus on their own country but whatever

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Binge drinking is bad for your health FYI.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
China has a billion people, Japan is fairly small. Just off the top of my head

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

heeheex2 posted:

China has a billion people, Japan is fairly small. Just off the top of my head

oh, ok, I guess it's just cultural relativism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Do it ironically posted:

you could argue that we're spending resources to bring in refugees while failing to help our own people i live in a high homeless area, someone's kid just stepped on a used needle the other day and i have to deal with homeless everyday including throwing needles into the yard (i rent), and i dont get mad but i have to educate my kids to know that they're homeless mostly because of being in foster care or mental illness and no family to help out but still tell them that you need to be cautious because there is a danger there. since i live in it i think we should focus on that. it boggles my mind no one ever grinds japan or china for not bringing in refugees it's just ok for them to be xenophobic and focus on their own country but whatever

Do you have any evidence to suggest that the federal budget is zero sum and/or that money not spent on immigration and refugee support would specifically go to health and support services?

Also, you'll note that we are not China or Japan, so regardless of what we think of their immigration and refugee policies, the only ones we can directly control are our own. If what we're doing fits our values as a nation (debatable) then at best we can lead by example.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 2, 2017

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

you could argue that we're spending resources to bring in refugees while failing to help our own people

You could but it would be a really stupid argument

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Actually Japan is fairly regularly criticized for its extremely harsh refugee policies which you would know if you even did the most basic googling for something like, oh, I dunno, "Japan refugees"

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

Do you have any evidence to suggest that the federal budget is zero sum and/or that money not spent on immigration and refugee support would specifically go to health and support services?

Also, you'll note that we are not China or Japan, so regardless of what we think of their immigration and refugee policies, the only ones we can directly control are our own. If what we're doing fits our values as a nation (debatable) than at best we can lead by example.

I'm just giving opinion and it's not fact so I'm ok with everyone making GBS threads on me, I love where I live and the people I've met since moving here, and will grassroots support my community

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

I'm just giving opinion and it's not fact so I'm ok with everyone making GBS threads on me, I love where I live and the people I've met since moving here, and will grassroots support my community

You can support your community without making GBS threads on refugees, you know.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i wouldn't necessarily say I'm making GBS threads on refugees I think I'm just pointing out the fact there are other first world countries that self focus, and lmao I will concede China it's a terrible place but Japan won't let any persons be Japanese citizens unless you're racially Japanese and they literally go out of their way to do this, there are multiple generations of koreans living there who should be citizens. but japan has no terrorist attacks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

i wouldn't necessarily say I'm making GBS threads on refugees I think I'm just pointing out the fact there are other first world countries that self focus, and lmao I will concede China it's a terrible place but Japan won't let any persons be Japanese citizens unless you're racially Japanese and they literally go out of their way to do this, there are multiple generations of koreans living there who should be citizens. but japan has no terrorist attacks

Yeah Japan has no terrorist attacks

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

ok that was 1995.... quite a while ago

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

ok that was 1995.... quite a while ago

So was 9/11

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

This kinda conveniently ignores that the last few "terrorist attacks" in Canada have been by home grown Canadian citizens. What does immigration reform do to prevent radicalizing white Canadians?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

oh no refugees coming to get me lol

gently caress off you coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

This kinda conveniently ignores that the last few "terrorist attacks" in Canada have been by home grown Canadian citizens. What does immigration reform do to prevent radicalizing white Canadians?

I guess you might be right in the fact, do Japanese people make more homegrown terror attacks (as we would define it) compared to per capita canadian home grown terror attacks, and I'm not sure what that stat is