Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why would you only go back to 2000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I actually do think there's a bias but its not 48 points worth

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you treat only the results of the 1964 grand final as relevant I am no longer a broken husk of a human being.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

realbez posted:

Why would you only go back to 2000?

Because recent data is better than historical data

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

racing identity posted:

If we go back as far as 2000, two interstate sides have beaten Victorian sides in Grand Finals - Brisbane, one of the greatest sides in modern history, and Sydney in 2012 which was only because Hawthorn shat the bed and couldn't kick straight.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting a conspiracy or anything, just that Victorian sides have a significant natural advantage over interstate sides in grand finals.

If you discredit the Brisbane wins for them being one of the greatest sides ever, maybe you should also discredit the interstate teams that lost to Hawthorn during their threepeat...

If interstate success is less relevant when the team is a juggernaut, then so too is interstate failures vs a juggernaut

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

Because recent data is better than historical data

And larger sample sizes are better than smaller. The only reason recent data trumps historical data is if you're claiming something has changed.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Even if we go back to 1987, there's only
Been one extra occasion where an interstate side has defeated a side who plays home games at the MCG (1998). The others were all sides who played at Waverley or Katrina Park

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also if you discount the Sydney win because hawthorn poo poo the bed well hey I've got something to tell you about last Saturday

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

At least the Crows are still undefeated in the league that matters.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If the clubs actually thought it was that big a deal, they would push harder for stadium redevelopment to match the MCG dimensions closer.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

realbez posted:

It wasn’t that bad, though. The team that wins the flag is nearly always derided for having the rub of the green. It’s the Australian way.

The one that stuck out for me was the hold on Eddie Betts in the goal square.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the reasonable consensus is that Richmond had the rub of the green but that it doesn't matter given Adelaide didn't bother turning up to play.

I think that's a bit mean to Richmond. They played pretty much to the peak of their ability and broke Adelaide open halfway through the second. It's a pretty common finals story.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

The one that stuck out for me was the hold on Eddie Betts in the goal square.

That one was glaring.

Chifley posted:

If you discredit the Brisbane wins for them being one of the greatest sides ever, maybe you should also discredit the interstate teams that lost to Hawthorn during their threepeat...

If interstate success is less relevant when the team is a juggernaut, then so too is interstate failures vs a juggernaut

No Hawthorn were just lucky to play crappy interstate sides!!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

racing identity posted:

Even if we go back to 1987, there's only
Been one extra occasion where an interstate side has defeated a side who plays home games at the MCG (1998). The others were all sides who played at Waverley or Katrina Park

What could it be?! :iiam: I wonder what those master criminals at the MCG are cooking up for next year!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What stuck out for me was bad decisions to play on.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
maybe it's not crow saltiness that gives rise to conspiracies but that people cannot reconcile with a reality where richmond are good.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

maybe it's not crow saltiness that gives rise to conspiracies but that people cannot reconcile with a reality where richmond are good.

This I can get behind.

People would far rather believe that there is a shadowy conspiracy in play pulling the strings, than believe that we live in an anarchistic state of chaos in which anything can happen without rhyme or reason

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I haven't had the heart to read the last ten pages, but are people complaining about the umpiring?

There were a couple of shocking decisions, but when you go down by that margin, you can't blame umpiring. We just got smashed through the middle of the ground and it stopped us from really being able to do anything at all. We could have been gifted thirty extra frees and it wouldn't have helped.

Hope the boys can back up and have another go next year :smith:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

This is coming from Slobbo so he's probably drunk as gently caress but he's reporting that ten Cats have been told to find a new home.

edit: What's the bet that the Saints are interested in Michael Talia? There won't be any coke left in Melbourne between him & Carlisle.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've been backed into an argument that I didn't want to have and taken a position I don't really believe.

To be clear again, I do not think there are sinister forces at work trying to undermine interstate sides, or that it affected the result on Saturday. My point, and I don't believe this should be controversial at all, is that it is advantageous for Victorian sides to play grand finals at the MCG against sides higher ranked interstate opponents, who generally do not play more than 2 or 3 games per year at the ground (if that). The advantage is that they will likely have more crowd support, and they have more experience playing on a ground which is significantly different in dimension to most others.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

cmndstab posted:

I haven't had the heart to read the last ten pages, but are people complaining about the umpiring?

There were a couple of shocking decisions, but when you go down by that margin, you can't blame umpiring. We just got smashed through the middle of the ground and it stopped us from really being able to do anything at all. We could have been gifted thirty extra frees and it wouldn't have helped.

Hope the boys can back up and have another go next year :smith:

Chin up buddy, you'll be back. Hopefully this is the foundation for the next tilt.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Charlie stays. He seemed to be enjoying himself more in the last few weeks than he had earlier in the season.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

racing identity posted:

I think I've been backed into an argument that I didn't want to have and taken a position I don't really believe.

To be clear again, I do not think there are sinister forces at work trying to undermine interstate sides, or that it affected the result on Saturday. My point, and I don't believe this should be controversial at all, is that it is advantageous for Victorian sides to play grand finals at the MCG against sides higher ranked interstate opponents, who generally do not play more than 2 or 3 games per year at the ground (if that). The advantage is that they will likely have more crowd support, and they have more experience playing on a ground which is significantly different in dimension to most others.

It is an advantage in finals. Is it an advantage for getting into finals in the first place to be interstate and have your own ground with different dimensions for many of your games? It is for geelong.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

racing identity posted:

But if you look at the draw its only the clubs that have the MCG as their home ground that play more than 3 games there a year, not all Victorian teams.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

racing identity posted:

I hope Charlie stays.

Agreed

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

spamman posted:

Chin up buddy, you'll be back. Hopefully this is the foundation for the next tilt.

Cheers mate, hope you're right. I just keep thinking of Port making the GF in 2007 with a young, exciting list and then disappearing off the map for a decade. Obviously 119 and all but still, this was a pretty comprehensive loss in the end. Hopefully the frustration fuels the side and this is the start of something big, rather than a lone chance gone begging.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Still stuck with Jenkins for another four years though.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Here's a list of all the things that caused the Crows to lose the contested possession count by 30:
- The umpires
- The crowd
- The size of the MCG
- The travel from Adelaide

Here's a list of things that didn't cause the Crows to lose the contested possession count by 30:
- The players making GBS threads the bed on the biggest day of their career.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think Jenkins can turn it around. He has huge 'upside' in that he has the physical attributes to be physically dominant and has good skills and agility for a tall. You can't teach that, but you can teach him how to not be a marshmallow.

I remember a game against Essendon at Etihad a few years ago when Jenkins grabbed the ball clean out the ruck, accelerated away from the centre and kicked a goal from inside the centre square. I don't think anyone else in the league has the athleticism to do that.

E: Found it: 1.10 into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-oAHmlao-w

racing identity fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 2, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

I think Jenkins can turn it around. He has huge 'upside' in that he has the physical attributes to be physically dominant and has good skills and agility for a tall. You can't teach that, but you can teach him how to not be a marshmallow.

Couldn't help but read this in an Enzo Amore voice

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

At least the Crows are still undefeated in the league that matters.

And they got a free ride from the AFL into the grand final too!

Speaking of AFLW it seems the afl got cold feet about launching next season on Australia Day evening and competing with the tennis final, it now begins on Friday Feb 2 with Carlton V Collingwood again.

But in 2019 with two new teams they'll have to start a week or two earlier, especially if a two week final series is introduced.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

cmndstab posted:

Cheers mate, hope you're right. I just keep thinking of Port making the GF in 2007 with a young, exciting list and then disappearing off the map for a decade. Obviously 119 and all but still, this was a pretty comprehensive loss in the end. Hopefully the frustration fuels the side and this is the start of something big, rather than a lone chance gone begging.

I think it's a slightly different thing to Port in '07, Adelaide all year was a team who had an excellent plan A but weren't really capable of functioning when a team came with a plan to bust it up. The only team the Crows beat from behind this year was the Hawks in round 2. When we went back with a more disruptive game plan later in the year, Adelaide couldn't adjust. I think it probably comes from the way Adelaide was winning (and losing) most of it's games this year, there weren't too many times when they had to change what they were doing.

This preseason should help that, and hopefully the core team returns for next year.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't know who that is

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

racing identity posted:

Yeah but he's also turning 29 in February, it's pretty unlikely that someone will develop a competitive edge when they're on the way out of their prime. He's going to lose pace & athleticism, it's hard to compensate by learning how to play with a spine when you've never had to do it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Adelaide were S A W F T

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

racing identity posted:

I don't know who that is

Be thankful about this.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Both Hardwick and Pyke voted Houli as BOG over Dusty

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Both Hardwick and Pyke voted Houli as BOG over Dusty

what the gently caress would the coaches know, let's give more votes to robbo or whoever the gently caress

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

racing identity posted:

I remember a game against Essendon at Etihad a few years ago when Jenkins grabbed the ball clean out the ruck, accelerated away from the centre and kicked a goal from inside the centre square. I don't think anyone else in the league has the athleticism to do that.

E: Found it: 1.10 into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-oAHmlao-w

Problem with Jenkins is he needs Walker, Lynch & McGovern to direct attention away from him.

If all 3 aren't playing, the best the Crows can hope is the opposition wasting their best defender on him and leaving Lynch to run riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

what the gently caress would the coaches know, let's give more votes to robbo or whoever the gently caress

I had a laugh at Jake Niall posting up his defense of his voting and everyone tore him to shreds in the comments

• Locked thread