Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Related: https://www.wired.com/2014/10/4-acre-spider-web-engulfs-building/

quote:

The Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant put out a call for "extreme spider" help in 2009, when a giant spiderweb covered almost 4 acres of their facility. Scientists eventually estimated over 107 million spiders were living in the structure, with densities of 35,176 spiders per m³ in spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

:stonk:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Fantastic Four #334 some shadowy silhouette plants a device outside of the Baxter Building. Suddenly villains begin attacking their home. Such dangerous villains as the Constrictor, Shocker, and the Beetle! In #335 they go to a senate hearing, and wouldn't you know it, more villains attack!

But Sharon Ventura notices a pattern in the attacks.

Unsurprisingly I'm enjoying Walt Simonson's take on the Fantastic Four.

Edit:

In 349 the Fantastic Four had been incapacitated so Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Hulk and Wolverine took over for them. This issue promised an exploitative appearance by Punisher. It did not disappoint. This was it.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 2, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
would spider-man still freak out if he unexpectedly found a big spider on him or is he immune to that as part of his powers

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

would spider-man still freak out if he unexpectedly found a big spider on him or is he immune to that as part of his powers

Well, he would know the spider wasn't a threat to him because his spider-sense wouldn't be tingling, so he probably wouldn't freak out.

He might still startle a little, mind.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I like spinneman here, aw jeez the place is on fire and I have a big amoeba on my back I shoulda stayed in bed

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

From an early GI Joe comic. I love how hard rear end that trainer is--"Oh, you've been shot, by me--have an aspirin!"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

In Fantastic Four #334 some shadowy silhouette plants a device outside of the Baxter Building. Suddenly villains begin attacking their home. Such dangerous villains as the Constrictor, Shocker, and the Beetle! In #335 they go to a senate hearing, and wouldn't you know it, more villains attack!

And four years later, the Shockmaster debuted in WCW. Coincidence?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

From an early GI Joe comic. I love how hard rear end that trainer is--"Oh, you've been shot, by me--have an aspirin!"

That, uuuh, is going to lead to him bleeding out if he is intending him to keep fighting. Or massive complications in his recovery if the bullet isn't extracted.

Also what the hell is this Starship Troopers? Live fire exercises is one thing but firing at your own troops?

I am starting to think whoever wrote that is either having way too much fun or doesn't know how bullets work.

That or that guy firing thinks he went to the Cobra marksmanship course and isn't going to hit anyone even if he tried.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

I am starting to think whoever wrote that is either having way too much fun or doesn't know how bullets work.

Well it's a comic book about a fake military squad that features a ninja, so I'm gonna guess both.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilmiera posted:

Was it not Larry Hama, who was a Vietnam veteran?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it not Larry Hama, who was a Vietnam veteran?

Surviving Vietnam is an accomplishment, but I'm going to have to say if he had that kind of training he should be doubly honored for having a whackjob leader.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I don't know the full context of that page but it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the actual Joes, especially given that some of them are actually in uniforms!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I would have thought the sinister curly moustache was a dead giveaway.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

evilmiera posted:

That, uuuh, is going to lead to him bleeding out if he is intending him to keep fighting. Or massive complications in his recovery if the bullet isn't extracted.

Also what the hell is this Starship Troopers? Live fire exercises is one thing but firing at your own troops?

That or that guy firing thinks he went to the Cobra marksmanship course and isn't going to hit anyone even if he tried.

If it's anything like the cartoons those guns shoot lasers, not bullets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Did you look at the panels? It's very clearly bullets.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

I don't know the full context of that page but it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't the actual Joes, especially given that some of them are actually in uniforms!

Yeah, sorry I didn't post context! That's some whacky militant survivalist leader, not GI Joe. They'd know better than to do that, presumably!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, sorry I didn't post context! That's some whacky militant survivalist leader, not GI Joe. They'd know better than to do that, presumably!

And knowing is half the battle!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

No, that's Johnny Storm at the end of the table. Ben Grimm is the one who switched places with you while you were talking, Richards.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Grendels Dad posted:

Nope. Larry Hama's comic was a different beast from the Sunbow cartoon we're more familiar with. Not to mention that the Commander was a bit less cartoony and a bit more vicious.

You really SHOULD pick it up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

evilmiera posted:

That's one of the earliest issues of the G.I. Joe ongoing. It's somewhere between #2 and #5, as I recall. I had it in trade paperback as a kid.

Hama very much does know how bullets work; he's a Vietnam veteran and his operational specialty was specifically firearms and ordinance.

IIRC, the story from that issue has two of the Joes going undercover in a militia compound to find and retrieve the nuclear bomb they have on the premises, as the compound's leaders intend to train their militia to survive after World War III, then start it themselves. It's a plot point that the trainers are psychotic and the trainees are largely frightened and out-of-shape civilians.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Cangelosi posted:

Nope. Larry Hama's comic was a different beast from the Sunbow cartoon we're more familiar with. Not to mention that the Commander was a bit less cartoony and a bit more vicious.

It would not surprise me to learn that those Girl Scouts are all secretly COBRA operatives.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Cangelosi posted:

I'm not sure whether he's hoping the joes won't traumatize the little girls, or if he really thinks they will miss him and hit a scout when he's only ten feet away and two feet taller than everyone else.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It would not surprise me to learn that those Girl Scouts are all secretly COBRA operatives.

You think COBRA would stoop so low as to indoctrinate children to do their dirty work???

Well, OK, maybe a little...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

John Dyne posted:

I'm not sure whether he's hoping the joes won't traumatize the little girls, or if he really thinks they will miss him and hit a scout when he's only ten feet away and two feet taller than everyone else.

I'm pretty sure I posted this in the Badass Panels thread a while back.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nipponophile posted:

I'm pretty sure I posted this in the Badass Panels thread a while back.

That issue has this funny clueless senator talking about how he once choked on Chinese food earlier, too!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

That issue has this funny clueless senator talking about how he once choked on Chinese food earlier, too!

I HAVE SO MANY G.I. JOE PANELS JUST SITTING HERE READY TO GO!!!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

I HAVE SO MANY G.I. JOE PANELS JUST SITTING HERE READY TO GO!!!

I have SO MANY questions, but let's start with an easy one.

Why is there an apparently FULL SIZE submarine just gliding down the avenue?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I have SO MANY questions, but let's start with an easy one.

Why is there an apparently FULL SIZE submarine just gliding down the avenue?

Oh, that one's simple.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that just raises more questions!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PRAISE NAUTILUS THE TANK EATER!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Look, much as I'd love to, I can't just hog the whole thread for G.I. Joe posting. I'll direct those of you with archives to my original Joe comic retrospectives located here and here, and those of you without archives to purchase archives.

Hopefully one of these days I can get my poo poo together and continue the series.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nipponophile posted:

Look, much as I'd love to, I can't just hog the whole thread for G.I. Joe posting. I'll direct those of you with archives to my original Joe comic retrospectives located here and here, and those of you without archives to purchase archives.

Hopefully one of these days I can get my poo poo together and continue the series.

gently caress, that sounds really interesting. Is this the thing that makes me buy archives!?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nipponophile posted:

:holymoley:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

gently caress, that sounds really interesting. Is this the thing that makes me buy archives!?

I only got through the first 40 issues, and if I ever get back to it, I plan to repost those, so don't drop :10bux: on my account.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Wait, Millville? That's Aldi's house brand of cereal! So… if I shop at Aldi… I'm supporting Cobra! :vince:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Senior Woodchuck posted:

And no, this isn't an edit or anything. One of the ongoing plot points is that Cobra basically takes over a small community, Broca Beach or Boca Beach or something, by slowly moving more and more of their own agents in, buying out local businesses, and what not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 3, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ManiacClown posted:

Wait, Millville? That's Aldi's house brand of cereal! So… if I shop at Aldi… I'm supporting Cobra! :vince:

And now you know why the prices are so low! Terrorism!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Larry Hama's G.I. Joe was really, really good, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Larry Hama's G.I. Joe was really, really good, y'all.

...goddamnit, am I going to have to pick my Let's Read back up?