Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Japanese Splatfest is Dualies vs. Brellas.

https://twitter.com/hosimikan_popn/status/914162105531502592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Where's the US splatfest??

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dear people who love grabbing the Rainmaker, stop taking the same heavily guarded route over and over again, and expecting things to work out differently! If that route is heavily guarded, that means there's an alternate route that you can take because no one is there and you can score points a lot more easily that way! (Unless the map is Inkblot, which pretty much has only one route.) Also, please stop picking it up when we don't have the advantage. The Rainmaker is not your friend. It hates you, and touching it makes you nothing more than a dead man walking, and turns the match into a 3v4 because that thing is that awful at being a weapon.

On that note don't forget to recon before you play rainmaker. You may have played the map a billion times already but unless you've been specifically plotting rainmaker routes the whole time you're not gonna know the all the side routes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Says "Power vs Endurance," boss.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Caphi posted:

Says "Power vs Endurance," boss.

It's a moot point, because this is most likely fake. The actual Japanese Splatoon Twitter says nothing about it, and no one else in Japan is talking about the Splatfest.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's a moot point, because this is most likely fake. The actual Japanese Splatoon Twitter says nothing about it, and no one else in Japan is talking about the Splatfest.

idk about that, why would someone fake such a mundane sounding splatfest

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
https://twitter.com/hosimikan_popn/status/914351370639073280

It's a pretty elaborate fake if it is one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkA2MPgmAg

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

still real to me

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jyrque posted:

still real to me

Just think, last year at this time we were all still dying to know what the Codename: NX was.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The fact that anyone believed this was real baffles me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The fact that anyone believed this was real baffles me.

A lot of it was the absence of any real news, and the two 3d printed fakes that came out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's fake. Some people are just that good at video editing.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wow. Just because you have an Octoling friend doesn't make octopus jokes okay, Pearl :rolleyes:.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It always bugged me that October and August weren't swapped, they're for the same friggin' guy, and having Octo as the tenth month is dumb.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Earlier in Discord the topic of the GoobTuber and Flingza came up. Namely, these two weapons exist to take advantage of the added mechanics added for chargers and rollers, but fail to take advantage of them in a way that makes them worth choosing. I'm interested in how y'all would fix this dilemma.

My suggestion for the Goo Tuber was to add the ability to let it charge a shot while an Inkling was swimming through ink.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Earlier in Discord the topic of the GoobTuber and Flingza came up. Namely, these two weapons exist to take advantage of the added mechanics added for chargers and rollers, but fail to take advantage of them in a way that makes them worth choosing. I'm interested in how y'all would fix this dilemma.

My suggestion for the Goo Tuber was to add the ability to let it charge a shot while an Inkling was swimming through ink.

Thus began the era of submarine warfare.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They could fix the flingza roller pretty easily by not making it take an eternity to swing. Also giving it a sub weapon that actually does something. Ink wall on a roller is just insulting.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is it possible run use the goo tuber for quick full-charge shots without revealing the aiming line? Aka you charge up around a corner, turn the corner and aim while in squid form, then pop up for a quick full-charge shot on an enemy before they can see the aiming line and avoid it?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The main issue with the Flingza is that anything that roller can do, the regular and Dynamo can do far better. The Flingza feels like a jack of all trades weapon, which is weird considering the Splat Roller already falls under that role, and plays that role way better. The Flingza's kit is also really not that good. It seems to be a defensive kit, but the Flingza really doesn't do that well as a defensive weapon. The current Dynamo kit does that job better.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is it possible run use the goo tuber for quick full-charge shots without revealing the aiming line? Aka you charge up around a corner, turn the corner and aim while in squid form, then pop up for a quick full-charge shot on an enemy before they can see the aiming line and avoid it?

The issue is that all Chargers, the Goo Tuber included, give off a very big glow once you are fully charged. Which persists even if you dive into the ink. As it stands now, that tactic would only work on extremely unaware players.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Manticore posted:

The background colors are always the ink colors during splatfest.

They already did blood vs jizz, no reason they couldn't finally do the brown vs yellow splatfest everyone has been waiting 2 years for on this one.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The main issue with the Flingza is that anything that roller can do, the regular and Dynamo can do far better. The Flingza feels like a jack of all trades weapon, which is weird considering the Splat Roller already falls under that role, and plays that role way better. The Flingza's kit is also really not that good. It seems to be a defensive kit, but the Flingza really doesn't do that well as a defensive weapon. The current Dynamo kit does that job better.

The Flingza feels like a jack of all trades in the wrong way, trying to take the best parts of each of the other rollers and doing the same thing, just not quite as well. It has the horizontal flick speed of the Carbon Roller, but that's the only thing it has that's at that speed. It has the vertical flick range of the Dynamo Roller, except not really and the vertical flick is at Dynamo speed. It rolls at the same width and speed of the Splat Roller, but it has these awkward to use flicks and, frankly, a worse out than either of the Splat Rollers. There is no actual reason to use the weapon, which is a shame, as the weapon looks rather neat.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Huh turns out that the JP splatfest thingo was a bug according to the Bing translation of a recent twitter post.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/914780863358951424

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I read all Japanese text in Squiddish now.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
To me, the flizinga feels like the Splatoon 1 roller and the regular Splatoon 2 roller feels like the Splatoon 1 carbon roller. It's not a perfect comparison but it's close enough.

The Splatoon 2 carbon roller feels like a toy, meanwhile.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

how to fix the flingza:

1) take back the terrible idea of vertical flicks
2) delete the flingza as you no longer need a bad weapon that "takes advantage" of a bad mechanic

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Flingza continues to be bottom tier in Japan.

RG jumped up in usage quite a bit. But so did the Splat Roller.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vertical flicks are a cool addition to the roller toolset and you still get horizontal jump flicks when you need to use them.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Do these league stats count the hero skins separately?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Probably not because the kit is identical.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zoran posted:

Do these league stats count the hero skins separately?

They do not. Those are lumped in with the weapons they're reskins of.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how come the regular Splattershot has overtaken the Tentatek in recent weeks? I guess it's an update buffing or nerfing thing but I can't remember what subs and specials they both have right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

how to fix the flingza:

2) delete the flingza as you no longer need a bad weapon that "takes advantage" of a bad mechanic

Vertical flicks actually let Rollers kill Shooters by something other than surprise.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Escobarbarian posted:

I wonder how come the regular Splattershot has overtaken the Tentatek in recent weeks? I guess it's an update buffing or nerfing thing but I can't remember what subs and specials they both have right now.

If I recall, the tentatek had its inkjet nerfed (pretty hard too) and also had the cost to use inkjet increased. At that point I think a lot of people looked at the regular splattershot and noticed it's kit was pretty solid now that inkjet wasn't so goddamn useful.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Escobarbarian posted:

The regular Splattershot has Burst Bombs and Splashdown. Splashdown got a decent (but not enormous) buff in the September patch. The Tentatek has Splat Bombs and Inkjet. Inkjet is now a lot harder to use because the AOE of its shots was reduced, and the Tentatek in particular has the highest special requirement in the game, at 230p.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

how to fix the flingza:

Nah Vertical flick was a perfect solution to the disaster of the dynomo roller so not happening.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah they just nerfed it until it was bad in splatoon 1 and now it's just bad right out of the gate in 2

i hate the vertical flick, it's stupid, i never hit anything with it, and hours upon hours of playing splatoon 1 has conditioned me to jump when swinging and it's a habit i've found myself unable to break in 2

it's a good idea on paper that i just find miserable in practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You just gotta learn the new stuff Idk what else to say. The game is way better now than it could have been in S1.