Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Policing creators who don't have the same opinions on issues you do is one of the reasons why this thread goes to utter poo poo on a regular basis. I don't want to bang on this drum too much but I've seen folks here group people like Armored Skeptic and The Golden One together before - one being a left-leaning skeptic and the other a committed White Nationalist...I dunno, that seems to sum up the knowledge people actually have about the other side here. The anti-SJW's, if you will.

I mean, I don't know this fella at all and "videos about old Internet Critic drama" interest me about as much as Kinder Surprise Egg videos do, but all I'm getting here is "guy responds to bad article written by person who doesn't want August 2014 to end, says that he supported GG, is therefore bad and shouldn't be watched again" and "guy didn't hear of the term "Alt-Right" before Trump campaign happened" (which is probably the case for a lot of people regardless of where their politics lie). How much is that really saying about what's in the video though? And I know that you clarified that this shouldn't say anything bad about MarzGurl, but even the thought of that is kind of irritating in many ways.

It's more understandable if we're talking about a guy who, I dunno, has videos where he'd like to talk to you about the Jewish Question or whatever...but not really video games? Seems extreme.

Armoured Skeptic? Left leaning? Bitch he's a sexist piece of poo poo who defends Trump while thinking that feminism is a cult that's "as bad as radical islam aka the most dangerous brown people religion ever." Oh and speaking of GamerGate he also believes that Anita Sarkeesian is a mouthpiece for "extreme leftist views." Oh and the Gender Pay Gap is a myth according to him.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

It's more understandable if we're talking about a guy who, I dunno, has videos where he'd like to talk to you about the Jewish Question or whatever...but not really video games? Seems extreme.

No, GamerGaters are pretty universally awful and should absolutely be shunned.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Annointed posted:

Armoured Skeptic? Left leaning? Bitch he's a sexist piece of poo poo who defends Trump while thinking that feminism is a cult that's "as bad as radical islam aka the most dangerous brown people religion ever." Oh and speaking of GamerGate he also believes that Anita Sarkeesian is a mouthpiece for "extreme leftist views." Oh and the Gender Pay Gap is a myth according to him.

Well, the Trump video was certainly misguided - that's a clear one. Doesn't help that general Politics chat is clearly his weakest ground, especially US Politics...not necessarily for any stance, he just seems misinformed there. And disconnected a fair bit, being Canadian and all. I think you're slightly overegging your representation of his stance on feminism - I've never heard that sort of dialogue from one of his videos, and he tends to be more balanced on several major feminist issues - at least in the videos I've seen of his. I mean, there's quite a few prominent anti-SJW's out there who flat out don't like Skeptic for being a "feminist cucktard" and all that sort of poo poo (Bearing for one, I think Teal Deer as well?). He certainly has disagreements with more extreme elements of 3rd wave feminism, that's true. And Islam (he is a skeptic after all, that might be expected in many ways). I dunno what the "aka the most dangerous brown people religion ever" is about - is that a quote or just something added in? Anita Sarkeesian being a mouthpiece for extreme leftist views...well, she did have Jonathan McIntosh tweeting from the FemFreq account for a while there, didn't she? I don't know enough about the Wage Gap to comment other than there appears to be a lot of levels to it.

EDIT: In the end, my main point was it's a bit silly to pair him up with somebody like The Golden One. That's all, really. For disclosure, I do watch his videos on occasion, along with a few others in said sphere, and as with most things I agree with some things and disagree with others.

Trouble with YT is that honestly, a lot of stuff can be classed as "ideological point scoring" in the end, whether it's Skeptic or Hbomb or whoever. In the case of someone like Hbomb (who I love to death), I mainly enjoy watching for dunking on people like Rocking MrE and Davis Aurini. And there's a similar enjoyment when it comes to someone dunking on, I dunno, the latest Buzzfeed abomination or Riley Dennis or whoever.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 1, 2017

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I think it's pretty important to acknowledge who holds toxic views and uses their channel for petty ideological point scoring and pandering to their audience and who is someone genuinely trying to be a good person even if they misstep on the way, and I think it's pretty obvious the armoured skeptic is the former rather than the latter (though it seems like he sometimes has moments of self awareness a bit more than the usual hysterical shithead)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

quote:

Yes, gently caress, Jesus, women as a whole make less then men as a whole. Everyone knows this. The part that continues to fly over your head is that less women are in STEM fields... Women aren't allowed to join STEM you say? NO! They're actively encouraged to join, but somehow there are less women then men. Maybe... and bear with me... maybe they CHOSE not to join. Maybe women are flocking to gender studies and other useless degrees instead of getting into technology and engineering. Women are the reason the wage-gap exists, not the patriarchy. The point is, the fact that the gap exists does not mean something needs to be done about it. That's a non-sequitur and you know it. Feminism is about empowering women to choose. You're witnessing the result of their choice. Let[']s say we DO decide to fix this issue. Why not start at the ground up? Let's ensure there are as many women in sewage jobs as men, let[']s make sure there are as many women in mining jobs as men, let[']s ensure there are as many women driving big-rig trucks as men... then when the foundation is laid we will get more women into CEO positions.

- Armoured Skeptic's Comment on "Is the Gender Pay Gap Real?" by vlogbrothers

quote:

"Feminism is My God Now" and argues, in part, that "the only people I hear en masse perpetuating the concept that women are not equal to men are third wave feminists"
These aren't exactly statements of a misguided soul.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Skeptic isn't quite on Sargon or Bearing's level of sheer Bad but he's still pretty lovely. If anything he's even more frustrating, him and Shoe teeter on the edge of self-reflection and realising they're spouting terrible poo poo but then roll back into the quagmire every time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

We shouldn't drive this back into politics chat, but armoured sceptic's biggest issue is that he's badly misinformed and doesn't care to educate himself. His video on postmodernism, as one example, just cribs from the wikipedia article—he didn't even quote Lyotard like even the laziest conservatives do. He's like a smart high-school kid who thinks he can bluff his way along by taking strong positions and contesting every point raised in conversation. He's not a fascist, but he doesn't do his homework and he gets by on a kind of unreflective knee-jerk moral reasoning that makes him defensive whenever race or feminism come up. Plus a lot of weird projecting about how BLM or Bill Nye the Science Guy are trying to make him feel bad for being a white man.

Like, he's just an average centrist, but he doesn't have the right to call himself a skeptic because he hasn't trained himself to rigorous habits of thought and he hasn't done his homework. He might be an ok guy in conversation, but his videos border on bad faith a lot of the time, as he falls into that high-school habit of uncharitable reading and selective representation of others' arguments.

Like, I don't care if he's one of the "antis" who would sit down to drinks with Contrapoints to talk about feminism because he still reaches bad conclusions through shoddy reasoning and allows unexamined premises to carry him off into defensive white boy land.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
For a long time I haven't been able to explain my grievances with this thread but I finally got it after watching Todd's new OHW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Vav3a4PAc
I'm too sexy for this thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

[quote="“SteelMentor”" post="“476945117”"]
Skeptic isn’t quite on Sargon or Bearing’s level of sheer Bad but he’s still pretty lovely. If anything he’s even more frustrating, him and Shoe teeter on the edge of self-reflection and realising they’re spouting terrible poo poo but then roll back into the quagmire every time.
[/quote]

Shoe almost makes me angrier than the rest because she seems like she might have the ability to learn something, except she absolutely does not care about the truth and just goes for fawning attention from the pepes every time. Like, she takes a "principled" stand in support of lgbt rights but won't act on that stand if doing so would cost her, and she remains committed to critique of the "sjw radicals" as some kind of real, pressing issue, even though it's just something she constructed in her imagination from reading the internet years ago.

I would put her firmly in the bad faith category, as she really just wants to have fun with all her buddies on twitter and won't do more than the bare minimum necessary to escape a charge of not caring should one of then deny the holocaust.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgBEzYWSiA

here is a cool channel if you are an art nerd or just a regular kind of nerd. Tons of videos on art concepts and how they relate to individual artists working on Magic: The Gathering.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Yeah, I didn't want to be the one to drag this thread back into politicstalk, especially after several pages of really fun stuff, but it seems like that subject is gonna come up every now and again so I just wanted to point out that that guy comes from a place that I know that many folks in this thread have big issues with so you'd best not give him attention and leave it at that. Rip off the plaster and all that.

Apologies.

Did Lupa's Last American Hero video get posted? Here it is anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVc7OFqSxes

Also I wanted to get back into Linkaras videos, because I stopped watching him for a while BUUUUTTT October just started so he's likcing open the Longbox of the Dammned. Which is cool for anyone who likes his ghostface negaverse Pappa Lazarou character, unfortunately it's his one sthick that I honestly cannot stand :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFVsEuUFtEc

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

KayTee posted:

Also I wanted to get back into Linkaras videos, because I stopped watching him for a while BUUUUTTT October just started so he's likcing open the Longbox of the Dammned. Which is cool for anyone who likes his ghostface negaverse Pappa Lazarou character, unfortunately it's his one sthick that I honestly cannot stand :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFVsEuUFtEc

The Longbox of the Damned videos could be fun if he didn't put on that dreadful accent. I like the little animation he commissioned for the intro, at least!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's such a step down from his usual high standard as a critic and entertainer.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Bringing it back to critics seldom talked about on these threads, I'm a casual fan of Super Butter Buns mostly because she's done some good retrospectives on the Jak franchise. She's also knowledgeable with a lot of JRPGs I like.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleCakes posted:

Bringing it back to critics seldom talked about on these threads, I'm a casual fan of Super Butter Buns mostly because she's done some good retrospectives on the Jak franchise. She's also knowledgeable with a lot of JRPGs I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR0f83wdzIE

She's funny. And knowledgeable. Subbed.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

raocow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgBEzYWSiA

here is a cool channel if you are an art nerd or just a regular kind of nerd. Tons of videos on art concepts and how they relate to individual artists working on Magic: The Gathering.

{click}

{Search channel for Soldevi Steam Beast}

> No results

Uhg-- zero out of five, unsubbed.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Armored Skeptic and The Golden One together before - one being a left-leaning skeptic and the other a committed White Nationalist

Wait, when did Golden One become left leaning?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Since he lost count pumping the iron and overdid his left bicep. :D

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
That lunch paying dividends for AS

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the Kingdom Hearts videos are fantastic too

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God drat her stuff is funny. Yeah, definitely a pro sub.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Speaking of misguided but good-natured internet folk, I'm a fan of Anthony Fantano. He's my favourite music reviewer and I find his reviews very insightful and comfy. They help me rethink my musical opinions and even with I disagree with him, I feel like I understand music better. He's controversial because despite him being upfront about a lot of good progressive beliefs he has, he's been a bit chummy with various members of the alt-right and internet "rationalism". He's also strangely defensive of "capitalism" despite being very passionate about socialized health care.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

This good

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Warham nerds talk about warham.
Specifically some ideas posted here in lengthy derailments.

What Needs to Change about Warhammer 40K Lore - One Mine Syndicate

They also have a ton of '40 Facts' videos on just about everything in 40k that are full of facts and stuff. :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 2, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
40 Facts and Lore on the Noctan Strike Forces

40 Facts and Lore about Life on a Demon World Warhammer

40 Facts and Lore about the Dark Age of Technology

40 Facts and Lore about the Emperor Warhammer 40K

40 Facts and Lore on Slaanesh Cults Warhammer 40K

40 Facts and Lore on the Promethean Cult Warhammer

40 Facts and Lore about Commissar Warhammer 40K

40 Facts and Lore about Warhammer Explained

40 Facts and Lore CGI Matt Ward Explained

40 Facts and Lore Rogue One Ending Explained

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I really don't know much about Warhammer at all but this guy, 40K Theories, is a pretty good dude who y'all might like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyW4Y1Ohvw

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The videos of a nerd speculating about potential future plot developments in a miniature sci-fi fantasy wargame and its merchandise is really the peak of internet critics.

"Given this seemingly growing enmity between Chapter Master and Primarch, could Calgar either attempt to secede from the Ultramarines and the Imperiun, or, potentially, even fall to Chaotic corruption? There are several events that take place during the events of the novel Dark Imperium that seem to be hinting towards such an eventual outcome."

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The videos of a nerd speculating about potential future plot developments in a miniature sci-fi fantasy wargame and its merchandise is really the peak of internet critics.

"Given this seemingly growing enmity between Chapter Master and Primarch, could Calgar either attempt to secede from the Ultramarines and the Imperiun, or, potentially, even fall to Chaotic corruption? There are several events that take place during the events of the novel Dark Imperium that seem to be hinting towards such an eventual outcome."

Nerdy people talking about nerdy things, on the Internet. OF ALL PLACES.

Can you at least clean up after you get done wanking in the thread this time?

Oh, and to stop this post from being nothing but LOL'ing at BotL, I released a new vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjfs9hT3f4

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kim Justice posted:

Oh, and to stop this post from being nothing but LOL'ing at BotL, I released a new vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjfs9hT3f4

Ohhh, I am looking forward to watching that. The Bitmap Brothers were kinda like Amiga rockstars, with their very distinct and recognizable style. In my perception at least.

Also, the only game dev I ever bought and wore a t-Shirt of.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kim Justice posted:

Making "theories" about future plot developments in works of fiction is stupid, doubly so when it relates to miniature sci-fi wargames.

Kim Justice posted:

:crossarms: Why are you imagining something like that

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
We’re looking at controlled substances this week on Song Crimes, as Bruce Springsteen, the Grateful Dead, and Afroman prepare to face justice.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Making "theories" about future plot developments in works of fiction is stupid, doubly so when it relates to miniature sci-fi wargames.

:crossarms: Why are you imagining something like that

...Um, because reasons I guess? People speculate on the future of things they enjoy. It's kinda natural. I mean, I'm sure you would too (that is, if you enjoy anything except going on here and trying to present yourself as cool). Also, my god you're dense

Thread favourite, Mr. Black Magic himself, Hunter S. Clarkson, Good ol' Mr. RegularCarReviews has reviewed a Fire Engine today, whch is certainly an interesting proposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4V8xWJyPw

(i propose that every flippant reply to BotL should also include content. Same could also apply to Vosgian Beast)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

...Um, because reasons I guess? People speculate on the future of things they enjoy. It's kinda natural. I mean, I'm sure you would too (that is, if you enjoy anything except going on here and trying to present yourself as cool). Also, my god you're dense

Thread favourite, Mr. Black Magic himself, Hunter S. Clarkson, Good ol' Mr. RegularCarReviews has reviewed a Fire Engine today, whch is certainly an interesting proposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4V8xWJyPw

(i propose that every flippant reply to BotL should also include content. Same could also apply to Vosgian Beast)

Could we just not BotL. There is not enough content in this world.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kim Justice posted:

You seem to fantasize that I'm somehow confused by the idea of making "theories" about potential plot developments. In reality I simply recognize how stupid it is to discuss how a moronic blue space-soldier is totally going to betray his fellow moronic blue fascist space-soldiers in the upcoming tie-in novel Taint of Chaos.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 2, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

You seem to fantasize that I'm somehow confused by the idea of making "theories" about potential plot developments. In reality I simply recognize how it's a stupid it us to discuss how a moronic blue space-soldier is totally going to betray his fellow moronic blue fascist space-soldiers in the upcoming tie-in novel Taint of Chaos.

noclip just released a documentary on the Witcher 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZkTk5gLuo

Just released as in I haven't even watched it yet, but their previous stuff has been very good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DoubleCakes posted:

I actually looked at these and holy lol are they bad. Her delivery for every line is just cringeworthy.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Wait till you hear the nerd theory about all tv shows taking place in the same universe.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't believe hbomberguy is making me want to watch a loving found footage movie now.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Nyx Fears talks about the original Halloween movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

His skits are drat near insufferable.

• Locked thread