Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Anyone have strong feelings one way or another about just plain stained concrete (interior) floors? Seems like the best of all worlds in terms of durability, ease of cleaning, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like 'em but it depends on your wider aesthetic (and actually having one). And that durability can backfire, there are genuine concerns about it being hard on your feet, pets, and it will give no fucks if you drop something on it, that something is destroyed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nice for a hair salon, no thank you in my living room.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Apparently someone performed the ritual sacrifice and closed my Gate.

I don't know why they put the rocks there; I suspect a misinterpretation of what I told their boss, but luckily I can move most of them easily. So, now for some choices:

This one doesn't look half-bad, but may be prone to rust.

This one might last a bit longer. Or not, who knows?

This one might be a nice contrast, rather than round with round and some more round.

I'm open to any suggestions that aren't crazy expensive. I guess getting a pit ring and stacking blocks around it is a possibility as well, but I'm less keen on that.

I'm not sure if other people have already answered this, but my old house has the top one and it's fine!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Time Trial posted:

The wallpaper that came in my half bath is quite something. Should I keep it and renovate the rest of the bathroom or bid it goodbye?

Peel off a large enough section that you can truly see how nuts it is, frame it, renovate, and then hang it back up.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm not sure if other people have already answered this, but my old house has the top one and it's fine!

The key to prevent any of these from rusting out is to always remove the ashes ASAP after using it. Ashes + water = lye = rusting through before you know it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

WrenP-Complete posted:

vonnegutt posted:

The key to prevent any of these from rusting out is to always remove the ashes ASAP after using it. Ashes + water = lye = rusting through before you know it.

Both very helpful, thanks.

Right now I'm just keeping the summoning circle of stones there and I'll revisit it in Spring. I feel like I've reached Project Saturation and can't even decide where to begin. So instead I'll do nothing, and post here!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Anyone have strong feelings one way or another about just plain stained concrete (interior) floors? Seems like the best of all worlds in terms of durability, ease of cleaning, etc.

Ever lived in a basement or garage?

It's like that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The lobby areas at work are nicely stained concrete. We needed to redo the hallways in the clinic area, and one of our choices was stained concrete. We still went with tile- it just looks more finished than stained concrete. It's hard to get it to look comfortable without a lot of architectural help.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Regarding flooring - in the last 20 years, the vinyl solutions (especially luxury vinyl engineered to look like wood floors) have come a long way and definitely have a superior durability profile when compared with nearly any other solution. A new vinyl floor should last you 20 years, versus about 10 for a laminate floor. We have dogs and kids and our new vinyl floors look great and have been very durable despite claws and toys and messes. "Luxury" vinyl tiles consistently win the Consumer Reports ratings. Don't be fooled, they're dirt cheap, and you can get it about $5 per installed square foot.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Also, the Luxury vinyl planking can be cut with a box cutter, and is dirt easy to install compared to basically any other flooring surface. And it's got a low thermal coefficient, so it's not too cold on your bare feet.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's cold, hard underfoot and makes the place look unfinished.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why would you lay concrete without underfloor heating?

Youth Decay posted:

hard underfoot

Yeah that's very true.

Youth Decay posted:

makes the place look unfinished.

Depends how you do it. Polished (or smoothed) concrete is a finished surface, it looks deliberate unless you've literally just poured it out and gone "good enough". There's also something to be said for contrasting "unfinished" surfaces with "finished" ones. If you have one bare brick wall and the others neatly painted it doesn't look unfinished, it looks deliberate. It's only when the whole place is ratty that it looks unfinished. That's why garages and basements look unfinished with a concrete floor, because they are.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How convenient that bathroom has His & Hers nooses behind the tub just in case you survive slipping and hitting your head.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Or for autoerotic asphyxiation.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

All of those examples look ugly, sorry. And polished concrete in a bathroom seems like a bad idea.

This church-turned-house is just $83,000 and I loooove it even though it's probably a deathtrap.

And then there's this cheap church-house in MD that has ominously declined in price over the past year, but goodness, the architecture is gorgeous.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

All of those examples look ugly, sorry.

Also Youth Decay posted:

I loooove it even though it's probably a deathtrap.

So, AreWeDrunkYet, I think we can agree that the question of looks on concrete floors is subjective, you can't trust us collectively for an objective answer. I think practicality has been covered pretty well though: double edged sword. Also it's very expensive to get it finished nicely.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That green is horrendous, and it's everywhere. :stonk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The church place looks a little under-furnished.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jaded Burnout posted:

So, AreWeDrunkYet, I think we can agree that the question of looks on concrete floors is subjective, you can't trust us collectively for an objective answer. I think practicality has been covered pretty well though: double edged sword. Also it's very expensive to get it finished nicely.

See, I like weird "ugly" design that shows the personality of it's inhabitants. Bare gray concrete (especially in the context of ~modern~ pseudo-industrial) tends to look austere and harsh. Ok in a kitchen, but for living it needs rugs on top.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely want glass walls on my bedroom and also everywhere else

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Ok in a kitchen, but for living it needs rugs on top.

Sure. Even when I'm considering putting it down in my place I wouldn't have it in rooms intended to be cozy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm sure that well-done stenciled concrete could be just fine, especially since you'd want rugs scatted about for variety and comfort. Throw in radiant heat and it'd be great (other than the kids missing all of their teeth from minor falls).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

See, I like weird "ugly" design that shows the personality of it's inhabitants. Bare gray concrete (especially in the context of ~modern~ pseudo-industrial) tends to look austere and harsh. Ok in a kitchen, but for living it needs rugs on top.

So, uh, do you think looking austere and harsh doesn't tell you anything about the occupant?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I want concrete countertops. Those are awesome.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Youth Decay posted:

polished concrete in a bathroom seems like a bad idea

having stayed at a b&b that had this, i can absolutely confirm

although the radiant floor heating was nice while lying on my back wondering if i was concussed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Suspect Bucket posted:

I want concrete countertops. Those are awesome.

I want these too.

Unfortunately bigger fish for now with my last encounter with concrete bring to lay the floor, incredibly slowly, and completely unlevelly. It's a balls up. Everything else has now already been taken off this ballsed up floor so I've decided to put down insulation, screed and tiles at the exact same level of ballsed up and, given that noone has noticed the slab being ballsed then they won't notice the final finish either. Probably be fine.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Versatile Building Products in Anaheim sells some great epoxy floor products. Have used the Diamond Crystals on several floors and they never disappoint. Also, if you are putting epoxy on floor that is going to be wet, there are additives you'll want to put in the top coat to improve the grip. And while you can make the floors more slip resistant--you'll never make them softer. If you drop something glass on concrete floor--it is going to break and they are never fun to stand on for long periods of time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Look at this. LOOK AT THIS. My jam, right here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are concrete counter tops overly expensive? They've taken over my favorite option for when we redo our kitchen.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
If you want everything and anything glass and ceramic to shatter the first time it taps your countertop, go for concrete. I lost so much to little slips of the hand, and it doesn't seem to do that on marble or other stone countertops.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Is quartz the consensus best renovation material for counter tops these days?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I know there's lots of love for soapstone as well. It's certainly what I'd do if I were redoing my kitchen.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bad Munki posted:

I know there's lots of love for soapstone as well. It's certainly what I'd do if I were redoing my kitchen.

I absolutely love soapstone but I don't know that I can actually get it in my part of the country.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Soapstone is my poo poo and one of the friendlier materials to be a klutz around (butcher block is the easiest but it's a lot of maintenance). Don't overthink it though, your house is for you and countertops are both easy to change and extremely faddish, so pick something that looks good to you and is easy to clean and let the realtor tell you about whatever rare South American gemstone slab you absolutely HAVE to install to sell your house when the time comes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bonster posted:

If you want everything and anything glass and ceramic to shatter the first time it taps your countertop, go for concrete. I lost so much to little slips of the hand, and it doesn't seem to do that on marble or other stone countertops.

My family has had this white corningware for 40 years now and it's survived thermal shock, 8 foot drops to concrete, every sticky and staining food ever, and we still have 5-7ish pieces left of each dish-bowl of the original set of 8.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Suspect Bucket posted:

Look at this. LOOK AT THIS. My jam, right here.

We have a flat stone counter top like this at work and it's horrible because if you splash any water from the sink, there's no raised edge to keep it on the counter top.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Loezi posted:

We have a flat stone counter top like this at work and it's horrible because if you splash any water from the sink, there's no raised edge to keep it on the counter top.

I've never seen a counter with a raised edge, that I can recall. Mine in fact have typically been rounded downward.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Subjunctive posted:

I've never seen a counter with a raised edge, that I can recall. Mine in fact have typically been rounded downward.

Interesting. Where I'm from, all the sink-area counter tops I have seen have had this small lip to keep small spillage from... well.. spilling to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stainless is ideal for controlling spills and splashes.