Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I think rocket league is my perfect game. I love sports, I like cars and my attention span is about 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the Perfect games... mgs3, majora's mask, and nuclear throne. and star fox 64

Mechanical mandible
Aug 4, 2007

Darkoni posted:

My definitive choice would probably be Majora's Mask. There are so many great things about that game and it not only remains my favorite Zelda game but my favorite game of all time. I think everying MM sets out to do is executed flawlessly.
Yeah I'd second that. Out of all the games I've played, Majora's Mask has always remained on top (followed in second place by the Dynasty Warriors series :v: ). Setting aside the gameplay, music, aesthetic etc. I think for me, the biggest appeal is the world setting; it actually feels like a cohesive, living place. The two things that seem to underpin this is the time limit and the npcs. While I'm normally not one to like a forced time limit, the 3 day schedule the game runs on really helps to cement the patterns that the npcs live through. Each npc is also substantive in their own way; most have at least something attached beyond a simple repeating dialogue box, be it a simple quest to the longer multi stage/day quests. I don't think I've played a game since that has manged to really recapture that, though I'd love recommendations to the contrary.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Darkoni posted:

The perfect game for me? Ugh, there is so many of them. World of Warcraft circa Mists of Panderia was loving incredible for me. Though a lot had to do with the constant online interaction I had with my guild. The World Ends With You is also amazing. I love everything about that game, though it is brought down because 100% is super tedious. My definitive choice would probably be Majora's Mask. There are so many great things about that game and it not only remains my favorite Zelda game but my favorite game of all time. I think everying MM sets out to do is executed flawlessly.

I don't hold that against the game since getting 100% is totally pointless. I considered myself having totally beaten the game upon getting the dark planets set.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So zetta slow!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

So zetta slow!

Sin!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ringo from Puyo Puyo Tetris could beat him up I bet

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ringo can beat me! I cannot win a game on Puyo Puyo Tetris. That game is so hard!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Best Mr. Bones Let's Play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yzdwhRZ9q8

VideoGames posted:

Ringo can beat me! I cannot win a game on Puyo Puyo Tetris. That game is so hard!

You can do it! Sine! Cosine! Tangent!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It baffles me why games don't copy the "handicap your character to mitigate grinding as a reward for your skill" system from TWEWY by and large. It was brilliant

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
My perfect game, or rather, the de-facto perfect game, is Donkey Kong on the Game Boy.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

my perfect game is probably doom 2 because nothing else will ever compare to that purity of experience or its insane amount of content people have put out in the last 23 years

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most games where loot plays an important role have to strike that important balance between players eventually breaking the game in fun, interesting ways vs. pacing so that you don't feel either too powerless or too powerful for too long.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Thinking about it I also don't have anything bad to say about Devil May Cry 3.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I've narrowed the field and I find myself left with two imperfect games.

Godhand problems:
Isn't Bloodborne

Bloodborne problems:
Isn't Godhand

Sadly it seems the only perfect game is one called Godbloodhandborne, which only exists in my brain.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saint Freak posted:

Godhand problems:
Isn't Bloodborne

Bloodborne problems:
Isn't Godhand

Sadly it seems the only perfect game is one called Godbloodhandborne, which only exists in my brain.

Well now I'm just sad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Most of the games I like the most are perfect to me, in the sense that if I really wanted I could find things to complain about, but why would I? They're awesome.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm sadly the type of person who puts stuff I really love under the heaviest scrutiny. It doesn't stop me from really, really enjoying everything though

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whenever I rate games I usually omit Chrono Trigger and Resident Evil 4 which I place on the Perfection tier. I want to say Metroid Zero Mission is close to this based on how relatively pure and cleancut it is. Maybe I'd add DOOM 2016 to that conversation.

In terms of stuff I could play forever I'd probably say Ogre Battle 64, Fire Pro, Darkest Dungeon, and XCOM2 in that group.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm still playing EDF4.1 a little bit every day so I guess that's my perfect game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

my perfect game is probably doom 2 because nothing else will ever compare to that purity of experience or its insane amount of content people have put out in the last 23 years

Doom 1 has way better levels but it also doesn't have the super shotgun or enemies attacking each other so it's a toss up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

Doom 1 has way better levels but it also doesn't have the super shotgun or enemies attacking each other so it's a toss up.

Enemies should be able to fight each other in Doom 1. I remember any group of Lost Souls was a brawl waiting to happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

Godhand problems:
Isn't Bloodborne

Bloodborne problems:
Isn't Godhand

Blood ministration keeps my pimp hand strong

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Saint Freak posted:

Godhand problems:
Isn't Bloodborne

Bloodborne problems:
Isn't Godhand

dragon kick your rear end into the kosmic unknown

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Enemies should be able to fight each other in Doom 1. I remember any group of Lost Souls was a brawl waiting to happen.

You're right idk why I thought that was New in 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nina posted:

I'm sadly the type of person who puts stuff I really love under the heaviest scrutiny. It doesn't stop me from really, really enjoying everything though

Well to me, if I enjoy something and I really connect with what it's going for, then it doesn't make sense to waste too much time and energy thinking about all the ways it could have been better because what's done is done, you get the game as one discrete package, and minus some patches, you don't get to pick and choose what elements to do away with and what to keep. I also tend to think that interesting failures are often more noteworthy and memorable than inoffensive mediocrity, so I really like games that just kind of loving go for it with their concepts and show some ambition, even when they fall short in the eyes of others. That's probably why many of the games I love the most tend to be ones others might find severely flawed.

I play games for the experience and level of engagement I have during and immediately after finishing them. If my experience was very positive, then I'd rather not trouble my mind with doubts about what could have been.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 2, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have really loved seeing so many replies.

I have to say a lot of people's choices are really good games that I enjoy playing too, so it is good to know that I'm not so skewed as I had thought! :D

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

In Training posted:

ep1 of doom 1 is stellar but the rest of it is very middling in quality; that said, a lot of doom 2 levels are middling in quality too. infighting did exist in doom 1, but 2 also added a shitton more enemies that the game desperately needed so between the bestiary and the SSG i consider it the vastly superior game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Red Dead Redemption is the perfect open world game to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing about RDR I don't like is the morality gauge. The game has a lot of reactions to you being on the bad end instead of the hero, but there are no incentives or reasons to actually be bad. Other than that it's great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

Enemies definitely attack each other in Doom 1

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?

Like, for example, one of my favorite parts of Gunstar Heroes is the dice maze and I was really surprised to find out years later on the internet that people apparently hate that part and consider it a flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

VideoGames posted:

What is your perfect game, and why?

Bloodline Champions when it was in beta, before they signed on with Funcom.

It's a top-down arena game, kind of like PvP in Guild Wars or WoW but completely divorced from the gear grind. Every ability is a skillshot -- healing, disables, everything except for self-targeted stuff and one or two exceptions. There's zero randomness -- no variance in damage numbers, no randomly bouncing projectiles, nothing.

It has an ingenious system for limiting the power of healing; only a certain percentage of your total health can be "restored health," so for instance if that limit was 40% and you took 80% of your life in damage, you can now never be healed above 60%. So instead of the degenerate situation that results when you make healers too strong -- where you have to prioritize them over everyone else, where everything comes down to focus fire and alpha striking people faster than heals can keep up -- you're incentivized to constantly switch to targets of opportunity and it's actually possible to win fights by attrition. Any modestly deep HP damage will result in a permanent drawback for the guy who got hit, but tiny amount of chip damage do nothing, so you still need to coordinate with your team. It's just such a perfect balance that allows for a much more dynamic flow of combat and means that the most important thing is positioning rather than a fixed, static target priority.

On top of that, the hero design is fantastic. Everyone has seven abilities -- a basic and secondary attack on L and R mouse, a movement ability bound to spacebar, three regular abilities on longer cooldowns and an ultimate built by charge. It hits a really good sweet spot where every character has enough tools to function in a 1v1 setting while also having a distinct flavor and place on a team in 2v2 or 3v3. Towards the end of the beta characters also got EX abilities that were stronger/upgraded versions of two of their base abilities, but cost 40% of an ult meter. The healers are never just healers, they tend to have the strongest CC and great "GET OFF ME!" tools, and their ultimates tend to me more interesting than just "more heals." Tanks are properly understood as initiators rather than damage mitigation -- everything they do is designed to force people out of position or force them to pay attention to them. DPS tends to have the best mobility and mechanically interesting weapons -- there's a chick who dual-wields boomerangs that travel in a variety of different arcs depending on which ability you're using, for instance.

It basically perfected arena game mechanics -- no randomness, everything aimed, smarter role division between classes, the works.

Then they went with Funcom as their publisher, immediately added a rune system in the spirit of League of Legends so you had to grind or idle for weeks before you were on even footing with established players, and got zero advertising because Funcom are a blister on the rear end of gaming. On top of that they divided the game into literally 10-12 separate queues -- there was 2v2, 5v5 capture the flag and king of the hill modes that made no sense and worked really poorly with the game's mechanics, 3v3 solo queue, 3v3 teams, tournament mode, on and on and on for no good reason. 3v3 was the main mode but you weren't allowed to just queue with two friends, instead you had to form a fixed team of 3 specific people, which took up a "team slot" and you only had a limited number of team slots unless you bought more, in a doubly idiotic decision half made out of a misguided desire to protect disorganized teams and half out of sheer greed.

The game basically withered away and died a slow death despite being a better game, mechanically, than anything else in the genre. Towards the very end of its lifetime they got the rights back but it was too late to take out the rune bullshit or walk back some of the other bad decisions, and while there is a spiritual sequel (Battlerite) it's slower-paced and the art style isn't nearly as cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?

Like, for example, one of my favorite parts of Gunstar Heroes is the dice maze and I was really surprised to find out years later on the internet that people apparently hate that part and consider it a flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

Water levels, water temples, obscure JRPG puzzle dungeons.

loving love those.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

people hate the dice maze? that's a paddlin'

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wouldn't say I necessarily love this aspect but I liked the combat in the original Nier well enough.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is this true I don't think it is

Everyone loves Black's Dice Palace

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The shooting in Spec Ops: The Line is perfectly serviceable and imo very punchy and satisfying, which is why it bothers me when people use the "it's supposed to be not fun to play" point in talking about why the game is so deep. It is fun to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lava Reef is probably my favorite zone in all of S3&K besides Ice Cap, I was shocked to play Mania and learn that a lot of people apparently hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after awhile I stopped minding the tank sections of Arkham Knight and started to sort of enjoy them as nice breaks from the usual fighting. It was kind of like a bullet hell macross game in 3D.

• Locked thread