Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Saurians are both your hammer and anvil, they're that good. People are down on Cold One Riders but I personally appreciate them if only because they're your only cavalry unit and at least they're both sturdy and strong. Of the dinosaur choices, I think plain Stegadons are the best, since their poison ballista gives you an actual anti-heavy flier option and still does a decent job at raking enemy units with artillery fire. Lastly, I like taking two units of Terradons just because they can fly in and tear up enemy artillery, which is the biggest threat to your slow-moving lizards.

Good! I spec'ed Kroq into that upkeep reduction for Saurians and I'm glad it'll pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone have a link to a youtube being good at this

Hmm being "good" at things is really not what youtubers are about.

You might be able to glean some insight watching a decent Twitch player, especially since you can ask them questions live and they might respond. Most streamers atm though are probably release bandwagoners who will be gone shortly and aren't very good. Try to find Ninjahund if he's playing. He's skilled and not an rear end in a top hat, and he's usually running a tournament every weekend.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Plavski posted:

Here's a post from reddit on how auto-resolve works for those interested:

Well that explains why my two poor white lions get slaughtered any time I try to auto-resolve a siege with my all seaboy/archer army. This also explains why free company rack up so many kills and don't take casualties when you auto-resolve in game 1.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone have a link to a youtube being good at this or tw:w and explaining why they do x y or z. I'm really, really bad at both this and tw:w and want to be better.

Is there a particular aspect you need to be better at I.E. the campaign map vs army comps and actual combat?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Plavski posted:

Here's a post from reddit on how auto-resolve works for those interested:

So what you're saying is that a stack of 19 Hellblasters is basically undefeatable? I might have to summon some Elector Counts.....

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it a bug that when upgrading from a Cold One to a Horned One mount, Kroq-gar's stats utterly tank? His HP goes from something like 5000 to 800. That can't possibly be right can it?

Also while we're on Lizardmen is there any reason at all, ever, to take shield-less Saurans?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 2, 2017

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

toasterwarrior posted:

Saurians are both your hammer and anvil, they're that good. People are down on Cold One Riders but I personally appreciate them if only because they're your only cavalry unit and at least they're both sturdy and strong. Of the dinosaur choices, I think plain Stegadons are the best, since their poison ballista gives you an actual anti-heavy flier option and still does a decent job at raking enemy units with artillery fire. Lastly, I like taking two units of Terradons just because they can fly in and tear up enemy artillery, which is the biggest threat to your slow-moving lizards.

The solar cannon bastillodons are really really good for shutting down enemy archers as well. Getting hit with it gives a -melee attack and -ranged accuracy debuff for a good amount of time.

I've warmed up a bit on ancient stegodons. Their shot volleys are super short range compared to the regular stegodon or solar cannon, but it can also fire while moving, and they will volley out during a charge and put a big ripple in an enemy line before you crash through it.

For Skink chiefs and priests though, I would stick to the regular stegodon mounts. Chiefs especially since they get +ranged damage, + ammunition yellow line, and the firefly venom enchanted item to make it magic as well. My level 40 chief in the arty stegodon was knocking out 300 kills a battle against high elves by himself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone have a link to a youtube being good at this or tw:w and explaining why they do x y or z. I'm really, really bad at both this and tw:w and want to be better.

PartyElite is the guy everyone always trots out when this question's asked. I don't know whether his guides only cover battles or if they touch on the campaign map too, since I've never watched them because I am a genius.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MadJackMcJack posted:

So what you're saying is that a stack of 19 Hellblasters is basically undefeatable? I might have to summon some Elector Counts.....

No they'd die horribly. Hellblasters and whatever unit the Empire has with the most health, that's the money.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pierson posted:

Is it a bug that when upgrading from a Cold One to a Horned One mount, Kroq-gar's stats utterly tank? His HP goes from something like 5000 to 800. That can't possibly be right can it?

HP doesn't sound right at all, but big monsters typically have lower stats to accomodate for the fact that it's a loving TRex

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anyone else not have item quests pop up? i noticed i never got the one for mazamundis first item

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Davincie posted:

anyone else not have item quests pop up? i noticed i never got the one for mazamundis first item

I got the Sun Standard, the first quest, but the Cobra Mace was the one that never triggered in my Mazdamundi campaign.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Fat_Cow posted:

Will Dark Elves ever get Kharibdyss or Medusa units?

I really hope they do a unit pack DLC some day which adds monsters like the Jabberslythe and said Medusa.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

Based on the description, you'd need at least enough of a melee force to tank the damage before the hellblasters can kill off the enemy. So like, 16 hellblasters, a melee lord, and some steam tanks maybe.

I feel like they should at least have auto resolve consider composition in the sense that if one side has more melee than the other, the side with more melee will be able to attack the ranged units before wiping out the enemy melee, to represent their ability to flank around the enemy line.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you get your artillery to fire into your own line as Skaven? I rightclick the enemy fighting my frontline or alt-rightclick the ground under them but 9/10 times my artillery goes "hehe no... we cant do that... we'd kill rats!!".

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dongattack posted:

How do you get your artillery to fire into your own line as Skaven? I rightclick the enemy fighting my frontline or alt-rightclick the ground under them but 9/10 times my artillery goes "hehe no... we cant do that... we'd kill rats!!".

you can't, ca hosed up there

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Intentional. I was bummed about it too, but after seeing Warp Lightning Cannons in action and how so much better they are than the other races' cannons, I understand why they did it.

Maybe you could try alt-right-clicking at a spot right behind the enemy cluster and with as few friendly troops as possible? I've had artillery pieces take unfriendly fire shots a bunch, but if there's enough friendlies in the killzone, they'll cease fire.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

you can't, ca hosed up there

to the general good, because that would be reeeeallly horseshit good in this game without the balancing factor of "they randomly decide to take out half your army. for kicks."

which was also a horseshit way to balance things

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Actually it seems like i can do it now, my catapults and decimating elves and rats alike. I think it was the map i was testing on that had this TINY TINY like 1m ridge in the middle that for some reason confused my catapults AND cannons (?), but now things are dying real good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, the AI can't even handle SUDDEN RAT ATTACK in this game because you can literally drop one right under the target unit; being able to ignore friendly fire rules and just chunking their elite units with wild abandon is way too much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't think the game is balanced for singleplayer since you do get global rats and the ai is as interesting as bricks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Partyelite has a good playlist of intro stuff. They're all short form, no nonsense videos on various features and aspects so you don't have to hear "HEY TOTAL WARRIORS ITS YOUR BOY LAST VIDEO GOT 8K LIKES SO THI" when you just want to know neat ways to move units or understand economies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Technically any army can ignore friendly fire. Being obstructed isn't really an issue of "will I hit friendlies with this?" as it is "can I hit ANY enemies with this?" Weapons with a big arc like bows or catapults will happily fire directly into the melee blob, but you might need to back them up a bit first. Things with flatter arcs like the lightning guns and warpfire throwers need either high ground, so they can fire down onto the melee, or the ability to flank around to the sides. They just don't want to fire into the backs of their own units because from their perspective, they won't actually be able to hit an enemy model (they don't really understand splash damage).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So how's the Morathi start? Is she like Mazdamundi and Teclis and aimed towards being an obnoxiously powerful caster that's still (eventually) useful in melee, or is she more like Malekith in that she's a melee rip-and-tear-er that just happens to be able to cast spells?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DeathSandwich posted:

So how's the Morathi start? Is she like Mazdamundi and Teclis and aimed towards being an obnoxiously powerful caster that's still (eventually) useful in melee, or is she more like Malekith in that she's a melee rip-and-tear-er that just happens to be able to cast spells?

She's like Teclis with a real amazingly bullshit final move, a vortex that doesn't move that makes sieges a cakewalk.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Surprisingly good auto-resolve odds for this battle, guessing that's the ambush pushing it in my favor. I want to fight this one manually though. Overalle strategy is to just keep pushing rats down the dragons' throats until they roll over and die.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Surprisingly good auto-resolve odds for this battle, guessing that's the ambush pushing it in my favor. I want to fight this one manually though. Overalle strategy is to just keep pushing rats down the dragons' throats until they roll over and die.

I suppose ensuring that the enemy units get tarpitted by the appropriate rats is going to be key in this fight. Which may be tough, because the AI gets to dictate who the dragons engage and there's like 6 of them and a fuckoff huge cavalry wing too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Randarkman posted:

The Zapp Brannigan strategy, just with rats.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is there some way to find what possible traits Heroes can get?
I haven't found a list online and the in game knowledge base doesn't have it.

I'm looking for interesting stuff. Like when recruiting High Elf Mages they can have:

Entrepreneur
+3% Tax rate (factionwide)
+30% income from all buildings (local province)

That is really powerful. Good enough to leave the mage in the highest income province and consider his upkeep worthwhile.

If there is no online or ingame list, has anyone seen other interesting ones?
The above one was mentioned a few pages back.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Skrolks Liberals Bubonicus quest is so much fun. Basically it's your army vs constant Swarms of zombies, an FPS Destroying chaff vs chaff killfest.

Skrolk, an engineer, and two batteries of plagueclaw catapults flattened so many zombies with AoE attacks, it was very entertaining. Breath spells in particular are great against squishy units and the engineer gets one that is super long and narrow.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Technically any army can ignore friendly fire. Being obstructed isn't really an issue of "will I hit friendlies with this?" as it is "can I hit ANY enemies with this?" Weapons with a big arc like bows or catapults will happily fire directly into the melee blob, but you might need to back them up a bit first. Things with flatter arcs like the lightning guns and warpfire throwers need either high ground, so they can fire down onto the melee, or the ability to flank around to the sides. They just don't want to fire into the backs of their own units because from their perspective, they won't actually be able to hit an enemy model (they don't really understand splash damage).

What works beautifully is flamethrowers on higher ground behind your melee line. I guess this is the same thing with warpthrowers.

Besides, did I remember that correctly, that Warhammer 1 dragons will also get proper breath attacks with Mortal Empires ?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This has to be one of the prettiest armies ever assembled.

...It would be shame if something were to... happen to it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So did anyone find more unique lords like the White Lion elf? This dude is great

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Anyone done any head-to-head multiplayer campaigns yet? I haven't seen anyone talk about them in previews or anything, and it seems like a fun feature.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sekenr posted:

So did anyone find more unique lords like the White Lion elf? This dude is great

he's the only one, some kid had the Make A Wish foundation ask to have a special lord added

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Where do you find that guy, by the way.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Plan Z posted:

Partyelite has a good playlist of intro stuff. They're all short form, no nonsense videos on various features and aspects so you don't have to hear "HEY TOTAL WARRIORS ITS YOUR BOY LAST VIDEO GOT 8K LIKES SO THI" when you just want to know neat ways to move units or understand economies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

thanks

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Is there some way to find what possible traits Heroes can get?
I haven't found a list online and the in game knowledge base doesn't have it.

I'm looking for interesting stuff. Like when recruiting High Elf Mages they can have:

Entrepreneur
+3% Tax rate (factionwide)
+30% income from all buildings (local province)

That is really powerful. Good enough to leave the mage in the highest income province and consider his upkeep worthwhile.

If there is no online or ingame list, has anyone seen other interesting ones?
The above one was mentioned a few pages back.

There's this one that I got on a High Elf mage:

It makes them into a complete beast in combat. I combined it with a talisman I got called Folariath's Cloak that gives -50% weapon strength and +30% physical resistance - even with that negative, she still has 428 weapon strength after everything's applied.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Where do you find that guy, by the way.

he just shows up in the helf recruit list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
High Elf lords being complete garbage wastrels unless you pay influence is really funny and fits elves perfectly.