Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Carnitas week, in three acts.

It's not true Cuban bread, but I loving love that I now live across the street from a good Mexican market. Fresh bolillos made these.

I followed Kenji's carnitas recipe this time and now I have like two quarts of tomatillo salsa. No reason I can't freeze it, right? First time I've made my own salsa.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Absolutely you can freeze the salsa (though the texture may take a small hit when it's defrosted). Also, I would murder the poo poo out of those cubans. Wow.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The ice will destroy the texture if the salsa is chunky but the taste will remain. Make tortas next time.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

BrianBoitano posted:

I've made many meals since my last post itt, but the simple ones seem best to eat and thus share.

Glazed five-spice chicken, Salt Fat Acid Heat pg. 338. 30 minute brine, 5 minute cook.

Coworker gave me some ginger preserves and challenged me to make savory dishes with it. I saw ginger and brown sugar in this recipe and gave it a shot. Replaced all the brown sugar with roughly the same amount of preserves, by weight. I didn't reduce the normal ginger amount, since the preserves are definitely mellowed, basically like candied ginger.

Chicken breasts, pounded 3/4" flat, cooked in a hot pan for 2 1/2 minutes per side. Served with simply roasted broccoli with chili/soy/sesame dipping sauce.

Made a pan sauce by deglazing, but it wasn't really needed. I inhaled most of the chicken before I remembered it was there.

I just got this book and can't wait to dig into the recipes. I'm still wrapping up the Heat chapter.

I finally got Ratio a couple weeks ago and made the 4-ingredient bread recipe, and let me tell you-

it came out pretty goddamn good, given that I've had about a 75% fail rate with yeast breads in the past. I literally drove to my folks' house to make them eat a slice.

edit- I didn't get a pic but I made the peanut satay from Ruby Tandoh's Flavour last night, and liked it even though I hate peanut sauce usually. It just needs more STUFF; made as is it came out more like peanut broccoli soup than stir fry with peanut sauce. Just needs another broccoli crown and a can of baby corns or mushrooms, I think.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 1, 2017

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Chicken Marsala with homemade spaghetti:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
that's beautiful, my mouth is watering

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat that looks nice. Love chicken marsala and it looks like you nailed it.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
First cook with my immersion circulator I got a couple of days ago. Had a 1kg frozen pork loin, thawed it, bagged it with a mix of molasses, garlic, lemon, ginger and mustard. Cooked at 140F for 4 hours, due to bad last minute planning I had to wake up at 1:30am to chill it and put in in the fridge. Warmed it up the next day, seared it and reduced the marinade with sauteed onions and garlic. Served with rice and peas. It was good. Even my 2 year old kept saying "yummy yum-yum".

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's the benefit of thawing first before cooking it sous vide?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Not sure. I think you just adjust time if it's from frozen, but being the first thing I cooked wanted to reduce variables to ensure proper cooking.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Made a caramelized onion, ham, brie, and tomato quiche!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegan "alfredo" with cauliflower cream sauce. It was way better than I thought it was going to be.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

emotive posted:

Vegan "alfredo" with cauliflower cream sauce. It was way better than I thought it was going to be.

Looks good. I assume that's a "cream" sauce (since it's vegan)? I sometimes make pasta with a vegan sauce made from chickpeas pureed with their cooking liquid, plus olive oil and garlic. It's terrific.

As for my dinner last night: this picture sucks because I was in such a hurry to eat, but I'm proud of this sandwich:

BLT made with home-cured bacon, home-baked bread, lettuce and tomato from my garden. (I didn't make the mayonnaise; I know how to make mayo, but for a sandwich, Duke's mayo is better than homemade.)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That and you would need to raise your own chickens for the eggs anyway.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Looks good. I assume that's a "cream" sauce (since it's vegan)? I sometimes make pasta with a vegan sauce made from chickpeas pureed with their cooking liquid, plus olive oil and garlic. It's terrific

Yeah, so it's really just cauliflower simmered in cashew milk and then blended until completely smooth and creamy. Seasoned with garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, white miso and tons of black pepper. Thinned with a bit of pasta water once I tossed it with the pasta.

emotive fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2017

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Ranter posted:

That and you would need to raise your own chickens for the eggs anyway.

And it only counts if you fertilize them yourself.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Argyle posted:

Hell, who doesn't enjoy loving a chiken?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Argyle posted:

That's not how eggs we eat work, but you do you.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

That's not how eggs we eat work, but you do you.

It's how the eggs I eat work. :colbert:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One egg please, and don't skimp on the bones and veins and stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Samosas are easy if you use eggroll wrappers!

(They're still not that easy)

Sweet potato and black eyed peas with the spice suggestions from Made In India. Cilantro chutney, and chili paneer (starting with homemade paneer)

The paneer was phenomenal. We rarely repeat recipes but that one's definitely in the mix. The spicing on the samosas was also delicious, and the recipe is easily adaptable for whatever veggies & meats you want.

Bonus shot of cling wrap while microwaving the sweet potato, and again after letting the steam condense:

:science:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

theres a will theres moe posted:

One egg please, and don't skimp on the bones and veins and stuff.

Your balut is ready sir.

My dad's birthday was earlier this week so I decided to made him fried brussels sprouts, Thomas Keller's potato pavé and reverse seared ribeye steaks. I did most of the prep the day before, took my cast iron pan down and was able to work all the dishes through it- fried the sprouts, dumped the oil, seared off the potatoes and then the steaks. Everything came out great! My dad loved it, and my mom even ate the sprouts, and she never eats sprouts. This was basically the first serious adult meal I've made for my parents, so I was super glad it came off. I was too busy plating to get any good pics though.

Anyhow, thanks to whichever goon linked that potato pavé recipe here or in some other thread, it was excellent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Did I do my eggs right

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lol nice. Sous vide?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Looks frozen or something.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Last night I made a sausage/cheese/egg strata, with one pan to eat then and one to freeze for later when I am too lazy to make dinner. It was solidly okay - I like making bready casseroles like that, but it was just profoundly meh otherwise. Any suggestions for improving it next time aroudn?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

Lol nice. Sous vide?

(They're hardboiled penguin eggs, not my picture)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Describe the rest of the ingredients. If the sausage is spicy that's good, but if it isn't I'd add something spicy you like - whether that be fresh diced peppers, dried spice, or hot sauce.

Of course all food can be bland for lack of salt, and unfortunately it's tough to "season to taste" an egg dish since it's dangerous/gross raw to taste when it matters. My method for salting is to take my usual amount of salt I add to breakfast eggs (for me, a generous 1/4 tsp for two eggs) and scale that up, adding more for the volume of other ingredients.

Our Christmas morning strata is attached. Check your ratios against mine, especially the really tasty cheddar component. Under no circumstances are you allowed to use bland cheese.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Had a good month of cooking.

Elderflower and Poppy Seed Cake with Candied Rose Petals. Turned out it was my sisters wedding cake, something that no-one bothered to tell me. Else it'd be bigger.

Duck Breast with Mushrooms and Venison Sausage, Plum Sauce. Plating's a mess and the broccoli's present because my toddler insisted on it, but it was tasty and created in a Cornish holiday cottage where the only sharp knife was my pocket knife and the plates were plastic. Plus I was overly filled with Scrumpy.

Venison Meatballs, Handmade Tagliatelle, Tomato Chilli Sauce.

Potato Ricotta Pizza

Swordfish with Udon and a Ginger Broth.

Braised Lamb Shank, Butternut Anise Puree, Roast Carrot, Minted Peas and Parsnip Chips.

Cod with Toasted Corn Broth. Bloody lovely.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Chicken mole

Kenji's San Choi Bao with some random fridge veggies lo mein.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Skillet roasted purple cauliflower steak with green harissa and olives
Spiced pearl couscous with golden raisins and chopped almonds

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

emotive posted:

Green harissa? :aaaaa:
Homemade? Got a recipe?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Green harissa? :aaaaa:
Homemade? Got a recipe?

I used this recipe:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-harissa-2

Not sure you can really even call it harissa, but it was delicious either way.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's almost pointless to take a picture of this, but I made some delicious cottage pie and I'm so happy I did that I have to share

God drat I love

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

emotive posted:

Stop, penis, erect, etc

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

emotive posted:

I used this recipe:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-harissa-2

Not sure you can really even call it harissa, but it was delicious either way.

Yeah, I'd hesitate to call it a Harissa as there's no mint which for me is what makes Harrissa distinct from other chilli pastes. But tasting good is always more important than what a thing is called.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Sorry, spamming.

Cast iron pizza with caramelized onion, mixed mushrooms, thyme and mozz.
Started on the stovetop then baked at 550 for 10 minutes. Finished under the broiler.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
meant to post a pizza myself:

dough recipe is my favorite, from component ingredients, to coming out of the oven in about an hour.

Sauce is tomato paste with a homemade bbq sauce I made for some pulled pork a few days prior + olive oil, salt/pepper, and water

mozza, some kind of spicy pepperoni type thing from costco, mushrooms, onion, and some fresh parsley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Cavenagh posted:

Had a good month of cooking.

Lots of great stuff!