Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

ISIS is loving this because how can you disprove this

ISIS: why kill Americans when Americans end up killing each other??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

You would think he would have chosen a better pic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

I honestly can't think of the last political discussion that occurred in good faith was on a national scale. The national discourse has been diseased since I was born.

Invading Iraq.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

ISIS: why kill Americans when Americans end up killing each other??

http://www.theonion.com/article/fbi-uncovers-al-qaeda-plot-to-just-sit-back-and-en-35788

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kalli posted:

Haha, ISIS claimed responsibility for it.

Goddammit. For them, at this point, there's more bang for the buck in claiming responsibility for everything and letting everyone over here tear each other apart.

efb; unlike the shooter, I didn't think to reload

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I didn't think the Raiders were moving to Las Vegas until next year

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I didn't think the Raiders were moving to Las Vegas until next year

i thought it wasn't until 2020 or whenever the stadium is complete

but hockey's starting there now

vegas strong the first night, america y'all

e: oh :thejoke: ?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
WTF 58 people dead.

Two people from my office were flying to that hotel tomorrow for a conference.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

big money big clit posted:

They just lifted the lockdown at the Mandalay. I guess they did a room to room search of the whole place. Mine came at 4am.

Man, I'm glad you're okay.

Also, yeah, now that we've explored the design space of acceptable shooting targets from children to churchgoers, it's no surprise that the only way to diversify is through sheer scale.

I don't think this is what anyone had in mind when they were crafting the Second Amendment except maybe Thomas Jefferson and judging by his reaction to the Shays Rebellion, he was slightly insane.

Nov 6, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You would think he would have chosen a better pic

Forget about gun control man. It will NEVER happen I am convinced.

Sandy Hook was the moment gun control in America died. When the country decided that, yes twenty first graders getting brutally slaughtered is acceptable, we basically admitted that nothing will stop the gun movement. We normalized it and moved on. Now we're stuck forever.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

WTF 58 people dead.

Two people from my office were flying to that hotel tomorrow for a conference.

That's probably the conference I'm here for. Off to an auspicious start.

Probably Magic posted:

Man, I'm glad you're okay.

Thanks. I can't say it surprised me to learn this, but apparently I am a coward who is deeply afraid of violent death.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Sandy Hook was the moment gun control in America died. When the country decided that, yes twenty first graders getting brutally slaughtered is acceptable, we basically admitted that nothing will stop the gun movement. We normalized it and moved on. Now we're stuck forever.

Yeah, when that wasn't enough to make us take a second to think about ho we've got to this point, we're all but resigned to letting males, predominately white ones, take out their frustrations with society with guns.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol hadn't seen this

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/914613694822195200

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

lmao yeah he's loving insane.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, when that wasn't enough to make us take a second to think about ho we've got to this point, we're all but resigned to letting males, predominately white ones, take out their frustrations with society with guns.

Well can you really blame us, what with all the civil rights and protected statuses we've been handing out to all the people that don't look like me? How else am I supposed to deal with cries for equity???

e: the dude with the cigar is A++++

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

It was a non-starter a long, long time before that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
We really have to do something about White on White crime in this country.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder how difficult security is gonna be for Trump in Puerto Rico.

Dude is going to an island of dying people who hate him and have nothing to lose

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Brooklyn 99 as background noise and it's been okay, but I just got to the episode where Terry gets racially profiled by a white cop. They did a really good job with it, I was surprised.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm going to get a lot of use out of this image in the next week, aren't I?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 2, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder how difficult security is gonna be for Trump in Puerto Rico.

Dude is going to an island of dying people who hate him and have nothing to lose

i doubt he actually leaves the FEMA center.

his speech will probably be on a ship so he can praise the first responders and military, of which there are more than enough, many people have told him

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It was a non-starter a long, long time before that.

Yeah, but that was the breaking point for a lot of non-cynical people to realize "holy poo poo, there is literally nothing that will spur change." Myself included.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

We could probably get some gun control if the Dems retake Congress and end the filibuster. Of course there's a huge, huge list of things that have to be fixed, so who knows if they'll get around to doing it. :(

It's impossible to overstate just how reprehensibly the Republicans have behaved in the last decade. No other major party in any democracy comes close.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is it weird to get married the weekend after thanksgiving? Like 2 days later

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is it weird to get married the weekend after thanksgiving? Like 2 days later

if it helps you avoid some of the bullshit associated with the holidays it's a pro move imo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shangri-Law School posted:

We could probably get some gun control if the Dems retake Congress and end the filibuster. Of course there's a huge, huge list of things that have to be fixed, so who knows if they'll get around to doing it. :(

It's impossible to overstate just how reprehensibly the Republicans have behaved in the last decade. No other major party in any democracy comes close.

Ending the filibuster won't happen then for the same reason it isn't happening now: both parties know the other party will eventually be in power

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Intruder posted:

Ending the filibuster won't happen then for the same reason it isn't happening now: both parties know the other party will eventually be in power

It's already dead for nominations. And I'd say it does much more harm to the Democrats than to the Republicans.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

This is the canary in the coal mine for me. The divide is so deep and the propaganda so effective that someone who by all rights should be in shock is instead parroting talking points. We are well and truly hosed.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
https://twitter.com/AdamFriedland/status/914869752207683584/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

The dems retaking congress is dependent on them winning in a bunch of relatively conservative districts. Those democrats, should they win, will be "blue dogs" who cannot openly support gun control legislation.

What needs to happen is a national shift in opinion sufficient to get even moderate republicans on board with significant gun control legislation.

...also, ending the filibuster would be a disaster. It's such a bad idea, even Mitch McConnell won't go for it.

...also, more to the point, we could 100% stop selling any guns at all in America and there would still be about 300 million guns in America. I'm afraid even the strongest gun control legislation we could hope to pass would not be very effective, until the whole country is actually ready for people to disarm, voluntarily and/or forcibly.

That's not an argument that we should "do nothing" of course. We should do everything we can to reduce gun violence. I'm just really skeptical we will be able to do a lot within my lifetime, even if attitudes change significantly.

Nov 6, 2002

You would need a similar shift that has happened with gay marriage and marijuana legalization. And I just don't think it's going to happen. What would spur it? We already have an obscene amount of mass shootings and it doesn't move the needle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No one asked if Joe Flacco is elite

You would need a similar shift that has happened with gay marriage and marijuana legalization. And I just don't think it's going to happen. What would spur it? We already have an obscene amount of mass shootings and it doesn't move the needle.

The same thing that spurred it before: black men openly arming themselves and organizing

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Intruder posted:

The same thing that spurred it before: black men openly arming themselves and organizing

It will always be hilarious to me that California's progressive gun laws are rooted in extreme racism.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

I don't think this is what anyone had in mind when they were crafting the Second Amendment except maybe Thomas Jefferson and judging by his reaction to the Shays Rebellion, he was slightly insane.

The Second Amendment made perfect sense for the situation America was in, during the late 18th century. Today's USA is so different, it gets harder and harder to justify keeping it around.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That's why strict textualists are insane

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Amy Pole Her posted:

That's why strict textualists are insane

What are you talking about, there's no difference between America now and America at the end of the 18th century.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

What are you talking about, there's no difference between America now and America at the end of the 18th century.

Bear arms?!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Scalia is buried in Fairfax, Virginia, in the same cemetery as Robert Bork! Anyone close enough to go piss on him?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

More importantly, the godlike Founding Fathers could not have made any mistakes.

This is what comes from a century of indoctrination of children with various national mythologies, including the myth of the perfection of american-style democracy, the righteousness of the american revolution, the heroic character of men like davy crockett, etc. etc. etc.

If you start talking about changing things that are components of those national myths, you are not just calmly discussing matters of policy: you're attacking America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Little known fact, second amendment has a spelling mistake, it's supposed to be "bare arms." Our founding fathers wanted to make sure no one could ever stop us from cutting the sleeves off our shirts.

• Locked thread