Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

imgur itself fucks everything up because when you upload an image now it does some javascript poo poo for the first few seconds.

my method is snipping tool -> ctrl-C -> imgur.com -> ctrl-V -> right-click the image as soon as it appears -> copy image URL-> paste into post. if you do that too quickly, you get that blob:fartpoop69420 instead of the real URL.

oh and i accidentally posted it because i just instantly bang out TAB SPACE as soon as i'm done typing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

:( i remember this looking like the coolest poo poo ever, the early 2000s didn't really age well. also gently caress if you aren't absolutely right. the only phones i remember from the matrix are payphones (which are probably available to buy online for cheaper than the above, come to think of it)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

anthonypants posted:

man how do people even gently caress up pasting imgur links that badly

at least in the mobile app copying the image url adds a space that you have to remember to delete before hitting post

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Generic Monk posted:

sony will sell you the giant e ink tablet for 800 smackeroos. it's probably poo poo but boy howdy is she beautiful :eyepop:

i mean, what do you want out of an eink tablet

the response time of the screen means its hardly going to work well for active browsing, most apps, etc. its just for reading.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
goddamn does lg deliver on the whole "i miss gimmicky phones" schtick

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-is-releasing-a-mosquito-repellent-phone-but-it-probably-wont-work/

quote:

LG has launched a new smartphone, the LG K7i, that the company says will repel mosquitoes using ultrasonic waves. The company claims the device addresses a real concern in the phone's target market—India—but many scientists say the underlying tech does not, in fact, repel mosquitoes.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

i mean, what do you want out of an eink tablet

the response time of the screen means its hardly going to work well for active browsing, most apps, etc. its just for reading.

well, yeah

sony seems to want you to make notes on it which doesn't seem like a particularly good experience but bleh you don't have to

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

:bigtran:

it's not really that the IR can see through the fabrics to any greater extent than visible light -- it's only like 950nm after all. the effect happens because a lot of fabric dyes only respond in the visible range, and are transparent to IR. so if you have a tight clingy black shirt, in IR it may appear to be a tight clingy white shirt, and you can see through it about as well as that implies.

so if grandma has a blouse made of thin, sheer material but with a loud floral print or w/e that makes it modest, and the pattern doesn't work in IR, well....

It was a plain, white blouse. No pattern.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i really hope you're talking about this one
yes the first that slides out on a spring when you answer it. so cool

afaik it was a real phone but was never actually sold in the usa

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The XKCD Larper posted:

Its a shame that demand for eink is so low because Ive always wanted a giant eink tablet or an eink phone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Fone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

imgur itself fucks everything up because when you upload an image now it does some javascript poo poo for the first few seconds.

my method is snipping tool -> ctrl-C -> imgur.com -> ctrl-V -> right-click the image as soon as it appears -> copy image URL-> paste into post. if you do that too quickly, you get that blob:fartpoop69420 instead of the real URL.

oh and i accidentally posted it because i just instantly bang out TAB SPACE as soon as i'm done typing

i just use sharex so i ctrl+shift+4, select region, and paste direct link to post

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i really hope you're talking about this one

and not this loving thing

effortlessly modern and cool
vs
a committee of marketing guys trying to be modern and cool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my friends imported one of those and he was so mad when he found out the keypad cover wasn't actually springloaded

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

not cjs

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
no I don't mean the galaxy edge I mean this monstrosity

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

didnt they also have a ticker on the sidekick relaunch that was just a samsung?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nope they did not

now im wondering which one did have it i couldve sworn it was on top of the display like the lg v series is now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there was that original samsung galaxy note edge that had the bend only on one side and it showed stocks and music controls and whatever

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ahahahahah gently caress yes I hope they never fix that idiotic bug

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

https://www.net.princeton.edu/android/android-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address-11236.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
they had a bug report where people were reporting that it was still happening in 4.4 but it's private now https://web.archive.org/web/20161010042407/http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11236

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

regresswhattesting?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

regresswhattesting?
the history of the bug report is really good:
  • september 10, 2010, ticket open
  • april 19, 2011, slashdot article
  • april 20, 2011, first google comment from employee #1, says they'll fix an issue in broadcom firmware and a suspend issue, which should resolve the problem
  • august 10, 2012, google employee #1 expresses disbelief that the issue is still happening in ics (ice cream sandwich) and asks for more information
  • november 26, 2012, google employee #2 shows up, assigns google employee #1 to the ticket
  • may 21, 2013, google employee #1 unassigns himself from the ticket
  • april 11, 2014, last comment from the public, someone says it's still happening in 4.4.2
  • march 27, 2015, ticket hasn't seen activity in almost a year, google employee #3 locks down the ticket

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wtf they still haven't fixed that :psyduck:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jre posted:

wtf they still haven't fixed that :psyduck:
if they haven't you won't hear about it from princeton, because,

quote:

We do not have data to allow us to determine whether one or more of these bugs remains present in Android 4.2 or later. Changes made to some of our wireless network(s) beginning in late 2012 prevent us from detecting devices exhibiting this malfunction on most of our wireless network(s).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

(ice cream sandwich)

thank you

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cocoa Crispies posted:

no one phone was the best because they all had a shittly little subset of features

loving this forever.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

loving this forever.

text me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im so excited for air buds: google edition

is there going to be a thread for the event for this trainwreck:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the panda model shows the distribution of skin colours at the google offices

ufarn
May 30, 2009

rapeface posted:

im so excited for air buds: google edition

is there going to be a thread for the event for this trainwreck:

i'm the phone with high temples

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
[quote="“ufarn”" post="“477042556”"]
i’m the phone with high temples
[/quote]

not quite the man with high castle

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I hope they talk about machine learning because that's something I, as a customer, really care about.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

I hope they talk about machine learning because that's something I, as a customer, really care about.

you also work as an analyst?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836466

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

google has just invented "deep learning"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

An $1800 Chromebook lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

An $1800 Chromebook lmao

idk man the one they just announced is $999

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fishmech posted:

idk man the one they just announced is $999

a $1k Chromebook lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a $1k Chromebook lmao

well you need a core i7 and 64 gb of ram to make chrome not slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU