Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Share with me your tips for getting a turkey close enough that you could kick it.

Seriously. :smith:

Be not hunting them, but rather trying to drat drive in a wooded area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Back when I worked for the public defender we had one coherent class of case I took up real often, people charged with falsely reporting they wrw eligible to buy guns from brick and mortar stores.

Now the state had no law requiring this paperwork at either gun shows or for person to person transactions, only for brick and mortar stores.

All of those clients were not guilty. None had the intent to deceive. If they did, they'd just but from a dude online or at one of the endless state gun shows. These were all people trying to comply with the law. The people not trying to comply, didn't see them at the orvis.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

stone cold posted:

yes, this a real thing somebody has said itt

What do you think that "assault weapons" are

An AR-15 and a 308 hunting rifle fire the same bullet in the same way, but one is going to shoot up a school and the other one is totally cool because your grandpa has one.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Gun tax. $500 per year per gun. $150 billion per year can go towards nationalized single payer mental health care or gun buybacks for smelting (take your loving pick).

There, I fixed it.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

skylined! posted:

i think the inference is that guns, like all mechanical devices, break down with time. how many cars from the 80s are still around? same idea.

they'll break down, the components will become obsolete or no longer manufactured, ammo harder to come by, lost, buried, forgotten about in a locked case, etc etc etc.

stopping the sale of guns and ammo now will inevitably lead to a decline of, and eventual end to, firearms in the hands of public citizens. not overnight, of course, but it would.

My point is how are you even going to get all the guns? How do you plan on reimbursing firearm owners for their firearms? No reimbursement? How do you deal with gun owners who have all their guns in a Trust?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO DISCUSS POLICY!!

:bang:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

theflyingorc posted:

Be not hunting them, but rather trying to drat drive in a wooded area.

I've got woods on my property, and it is lousy with a cadre of turkeys. I don't own a gun so I can't shoot them, but it's been very tempting to chase those scrote-looking motherfuckers down with a wood axe.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

pkay posted:

My point is how are you even going to get all the guns? How do you plan on reimbursing firearm owners for their firearms? No reimbursement? How do you deal with gun owners who have all their guns in a Trust?

It doesn't have to happen all at once. I'm sure if we do this for 50 years then we can get most of them.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Endorph posted:

what if you build a really lovely house and then encourage people to move into it and then it collapses

if only we could figure out a way to regulate this from happening

some sort of....code

for buildings?

i dunno this seems too hard, please help my family is dying

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Dietrich posted:

Gun tax. $500 per year per gun. $150 billion per year can go towards nationalized single payer mental health care.

:lol: holy poo poo can you imagine if something like this were instituted?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pkay posted:

Australia managed to work it out. It's a solved problem.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pkay posted:

My point was that a gun is basically a hammer and a nail.

Also an incredibly stupid point.

Making it very difficult to obtain the most efficiently lethal and/or concealable weapons is just common sense.

We are the only developed nation that hasn't figured this out because dipshit rednecks are married to the obsolete ideal of the citizen soldier fighting off the british. It's so loving insane it makes my head hurt.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
I'm afraid these guns....have diplomatic immunity.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

skylined! posted:

i think the inference is that guns, like all mechanical devices, break down with time. how many cars from the 80s are still around? same idea.

they'll break down, the components will become obsolete or no longer manufactured, ammo harder to come by, lost, buried, forgotten about in a locked case, etc etc etc.

stopping the sale of guns and ammo now will inevitably lead to a decline of, and eventual end to, firearms in the hands of public citizens. not overnight, of course, but it would.

Guns can last pretty much forever if you take care of them.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Fart City posted:

I've got woods on my property, and it is lousy with a cadre of turkeys. I don't own a gun so I can't shoot them, but it's been very tempting to chase those scrote-looking motherfuckers down with a wood axe.

I will work your land for the opportunity to hunt them (with a bow) from a ground blind.

I'm only half-kidding.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dietrich posted:

Gun tax. $500 per year per gun. $150 billion per year can go towards nationalized single payer mental health care.

Pittman-Robertson puts an excise tax on guns decades ago, and the revenue is used for wildlife conservation purposes. It's been hugely successful. I support more gun taxes for more good things.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 2, 2017

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I think there is something to be said for the argument that our gun laws tend to focus way too much on peripherals and arbitrary classes of guns, largely because they're a lot easier to legislate around. That also means that gun nuts can point to those laws and show that they aren't reducing the gun violence. That argument isn't actually a good one against gun control legislation in general, of course.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The hosed up thing is I've been doing some research, and it turns out that not only is Mandalay Bay not even close to a bay, it's right in the middle of a loving desert.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It's interesting just how worked in American exceptionalism is. There are literally dozens of countries with successful gun legislation to draw inspiration from, and yet every time it comes up you still have people asking "but how would you ever implement gun control? The problem is intractable"

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

pkay posted:

For one thing, just stopping the flow of new guns into the ecosystem would have a major effect in just a few years. The average street life of an illegally-owned gun is only 2 years. Cut off the supply and keep up current rates of confiscation (plus throw in some generous reimbursement programs) and the amount of guns out there will quickly do won.

I'm genuinely confused why the gun control debate focuses on the thorny subject of taking away citizens' guns, rather than the easier and lower-hanging fruit of neutering the industry that's pumping these loving things out. 2nd Amendment doesn't say poo poo about the right to manufacture or sell guns.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

The hosed up thing is I've been doing some research, and it turns out that not only is Mandalay Bay not even close to a bay, it's right in the middle of a loving desert.

:tinfoil:

HappyHippo posted:

It's interesting just how worked in American exceptionalism is. There are literally dozens of countries with successful gun legislation to draw inspiration from, and yet every time it comes up you still have people asking "but how would you ever implement gun control? The problem is intractable"

It's almost as though an entire industry is spending millions upon millions of dollars a year clouding the issue while we just passed an estimated 112 guns per 100 citizens in this country and stock prices are freaking soaring.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dietrich posted:

Gun tax. $500 per year per gun. $150 billion per year can go towards nationalized single payer mental health care or gun buybacks for smelting (take your loving pick).

There, I fixed it.

That would be great. And people would still pay it because hoarders have no issue paying thousands of dollars for guns they are going to bury in the ground.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Right on Cue the WH says "Now is not the time to debate gun control."

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Dietrich posted:

There, I fixed it.

I'm actually not against this...because those who could afford that and go through buying a gun would have to be avid and intentional enough to not gently caress their right away. The average yokel doesn't love guns enough to take on that kind of cost. And it's about the only way I can think of that a gun could actually lead to more lives being saved.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

if you wanted to pass a "gun ban", you would pair a mandatory gun buyback at fair market value with penalties for gun possession that were harsh and basically strict liability, along with a ban on the purchase/sale/transfer of guns and ammo

you wouldn't want to just rely on mechanical deterioration, you'd need to get rid of them and make it a very bad idea to evade that.

now there are naturally massive political issues with that and, in america, federalism/federal power issues, but those are a separate question.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

Australia managed to work it out. It's a solved problem.

uhhhhh

No, it isn't. There are significant cultural differences and a mishmash government structure here.

I'm also pretty sure that the populated area of Australia is much lower than the US? Maybe I'm wrong here, but we have huge amounts of somewhat sparsely populated land, whereas they have huge amounts of "nobody lives here at all in any capacity" land, so I THINK that covering 99% of our population is a much greater effort.

If I'm wrong about that, someone correct me. I don't know how to confirm that.

edit: As I have to make sure I say every time - I'm for a gun ban. But let's not pretend that a gun harvest wouldn't be ugly here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think there is something to be said for the argument that our gun laws tend to focus way too much on peripherals and arbitrary classes of guns, largely because they're a lot easier to legislate around. That also means that gun nuts can point to those laws and show that they aren't reducing the gun violence. That argument isn't actually a good one against gun control legislation in general, of course.

Which is why we need to start advocating for a repeal of the 2nd. Yes, the gun nuts will howl. If you want to change the debate, though, you need to change the debate. Put them on the defensive.

Stop nibbling at the corners and go to the heart of the issue. Once the 2nd is gone, the rest is easy.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Speaking of guns, remember when our president encouraged us to shoot Muslims with bullets dipped in pig's blood?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That would be great. And people would still pay it because hoarders have no issue paying thousands of dollars for guns they are going to bury in the ground.

uh hoarders would scream "gun registry!!!!" and refuse to comply with anything that required the government having a record of their arsenal

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

LeeMajors posted:

Also an incredibly stupid point.

Making it very difficult to obtain the most efficiently lethal and/or concealable weapons is just common sense.

We are the only developed nation that hasn't figured this out because dipshit rednecks are married to the obsolete ideal of the citizen soldier fighting off the british. It's so loving insane it makes my head hurt.

So in this whole equation you think that making it very difficult to obtain the easiest part to manufacture is common sense? How about making the hardest part of the processes to reproduce (smokeless powder) more difficult to obtain. Like I said before, Joe Dirt can make a makeshift gun. Joe Dirt cannot manufacture smokeless powder without blowing himself the gently caress up.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What do you think that "assault weapons" are

An AR-15 and a 308 hunting rifle fire the same bullet in the same way, but one is going to shoot up a school and the other one is totally cool because your grandpa has one.

i didn't know your grandpa's bolt action hunting rifle was also semi-automatic

have you considered learning about the different types of gun actions, you don't seem to be good at guns

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ammo isn't protected by the constitution Bing bong so simple :v:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

uh hoarders would scream "gun registry!!!!" and refuse to comply with anything that required the government having a record of their arsenal

If it turns gun hoarders into criminals then it's a good law.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pkay posted:

simply stopping the sale of guns and ammo would do enough to have the grandchildren of today's america build statues for the amount of violence it would eliminate.

you don't have to Collect All Guns to diminish gun violence holy poo poo. the guns in currently owned by all people will disappear with time.

CubanMissile posted:

Guns can last pretty much forever if you take care of them.

yes so can most things. this mindblowing fact brought to you by poster CubanMissile does nothing to erode the argument, so i guess you are playing forums trivia and just got a bingo? :confused:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have to wonder how many of the "Come and get 'em" types are completely full of poo poo.

Like hypothetically the sheriff shows up to (now legally) confiscate your guns. You've got your wife and two kids in the house. Do you doom them all in a shoot out or do you just hand over your loving guns and live your life where you can still bitch about it online?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Beastie posted:

I have to wonder how many of the "Come and get 'em" types are completely full of poo poo.

Most, but not enough.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

uhhhhh

No, it isn't. There are significant cultural differences and a mishmash government structure here.

I'm also pretty sure that the populated area of Australia is much lower than the US? Maybe I'm wrong here, but we have huge amounts of somewhat sparsely populated land, whereas they have huge amounts of "nobody lives here at all in any capacity" land, so I THINK that covering 99% of our population is a much greater effort.

there are several problems getting mixed up here and it's usually key to separate out political problem (i.e. how do you manage to get the law passed), US-centric federalism problems (i.e. what regulations can, legally, be made by the federal government and what can only be done by a state, this is relatively unique to the US compared to other countries), and finally the nuts and bolts problems (i.e. what is the actual content of the regulations you want to pass and how do they work).

when people are not clear about which problems they're talking about people usually are talking past each other. the third issue is what Australia effectively solved, but to replicate it in the US you would have problems one and two.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

theflyingorc posted:

uhhhhh

edit: As I have to make sure I say every time - I'm for a gun ban. But let's not pretend that a gun harvest wouldn't be ugly here.

Lots of necessary things are ugly. Failing to act is positively hideous.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Trump is going to invade North Korea to avoid a gun control debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pkay posted:

So in this whole equation you think that making it very difficult to obtain the easiest part to manufacture is common sense? How about making the hardest part of the processes to reproduce (smokeless powder) more difficult to obtain. Like I said before, Joe Dirt can make a makeshift gun. Joe Dirt cannot manufacture smokeless powder without blowing himself the gently caress up.

once joe dirtbag is reduced to using zip guns with self-made ammo we can start solving that problem, but solving it now is sort of putting the cart before the ancestor of the horse species that, in a few million years, will evolve into a horse

• Locked thread