Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ColdPie posted:

This is me. Android's application-specific notification blocking feature is great. Some app sending you notifications asking you to use it? Black holed. gently caress off Hearthstone, I don't want your free packs right now. gently caress off Amazon Music, I don't need music right now. gently caress off Allo, I don't even know what you are.

Can't wait for Google to nuke that feature in Android 9 at Marketing's behest.

I hear Huawei's EMUI blocks all notifications by default, so you have to opt in to the ones you want. If you're not a power user, I'd consider that a huge positive in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is the Pixel 2 being only announced on the 4th, or are preorders or sales starting that day too? I'm not familiar with how Google does things.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

smoobles posted:

Is the Pixel 2 being only announced on the 4th, or are preorders or sales starting that day too? I'm not familiar with how Google does things.

Read the thread, like three or four posts before yours.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

smoobles posted:

Nobody knows. Ask again on the 4th after the announcement.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On October 4th, Google is announcing the Pixel 2. Singular. They're only manufacturing one. GOOD LUCK

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

smoobles posted:

Last year people were able to order on 10/4.

To be specific, because I'm a loving pedant and I searched for it, I was able to order no later than 12:26PM Central on 10/04/2016 because that's the timestamp on the receipt email.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The camera on the pixel is still the best camera on any phone. I'm wondering if Google can actually top it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thermopyle posted:

The camera on the pixel is still the best camera on any phone. I'm wondering if Google can actually top it.

I sure hope so, not like the list of improvements is super extensive as is, especially for the non XL.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If they just released the pixel on more countries. It was available on very few and you could only import select colours/storages from third party sellers unlike the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, 5X and 6P wich were sold everywhere.

Sure, it has a good camera but that can be experienced only by a tiny fraction of the users. I'll keep doing great shots with a P9.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Would having OIS in hardware be enough to just top the quality of last years Pixel/Nexus cameras with software OIS?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Pixel's software video stabilization is like loving magic, it's extremely impressive. I would love OIS though for still images.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Well, any Android phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Pixel 2 XL in a case:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

No, I said what I meant.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Pixel 2 XL in a case:

Yep... I want it. (The phone, not the case).

I do hope that the rounded corners aren't just curves for the edge of the screen ala S8 style. I really hope that flat screen rumor is true. Nexus 6P Lives on with some restyling.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 2, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Pixel 2 XL in a case:

That case looks bulky af

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

That case looks bulky af

You want your almost 900 dollar phone to be well protected.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Why is the phone icon not in the dock as God intended? Fake news.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't because it's not one of the top five most used apps for enthusiasts.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Google wants you to just use Assistant to "Call WattsvilleBlues".

And It will find stuff on the web instead..

First up, "Maniac Street Preachers - Wattsville Blues - Listen, Watch.."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

"Do not disturb activated"

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Who uses the phone app more than once per month in 2017 anyway? It's not even on my front screen.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ola posted:

"Do not disturb activated"

:golfclap:

On that note... It's weird how I can set phone volume via voice.. And even set to silence or vibrate, but DND just escapes it completely.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nobody buying a pixel has anyone to call on the phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

It's rumored that this year is going to have a dedicated image processing chip. I wouldn't expect OIS to make a return though, it doesn't fit with Google's image processing direction.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ColdPie posted:

Who uses the phone app more than once per month in 2017 anyway? It's not even on my front screen.

Same. Using the Phone app is so passé.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use the phone app regularly :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Y'all are animals, I make 3000 phone calls per day and still use text.

Animals.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Will say I hate using any phone app that doesn't have spam blocking built in.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

Well, any Android phone.

The Note 8's hasn't been reviewed yet so possibly second best. I have no doubt the Pixel 2 will take the crown again once it releases though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Incessant Excess posted:

Pixel 2 XL in a case:

That is quite the UI

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
looking forward to buying it minute 1

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
caseless pic:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Looks flat

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those curved corners look weird in that pic

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Designed by GOOGLE

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yep, that is definitely a portable telephone.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Those corners on the screen look like the radius should be cut in half. They're way too big.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EdEddnEddy posted:

I tell my assistant to call my mother by name and it chooses to instead call somebody's personal business in my town who shares the same name with her. It will literally prioritize some sort of google / maps search instead of my contact list at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Much like every other phone it basically looks like every other phone.