Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rocksicles posted:

So good. If i hated this show i'd probably kill myself.

All of the grognard-y bellyaching about Discovery is getting to me already. I think the show's had three pretty good episodes but one of my friends is convinced it's the worst thing to happen to the franchise since Abrams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

Using Reddit to solve murders, great idea.

Worked great in the marathon bombing. /sarcasm

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 2, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanderdeath posted:

All of the grognard-y bellyaching about Discovery is getting to me already. I think the show's had three pretty good episodes but one of my friends is convinced it's the worst thing to happen to the franchise since Abrams.

I like Abrams. Chris Pine makes me less than 100% straight.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is Discovery pretty serialized or is it more like the other Star Treks?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Any of you lot get the Extinct eisodes to play on https://www.byutv.org/Show/e5f3bb84-3e34-4b51-8d71-e4d538fd93b2

I've struck out on opera browser

edit: scratch that, it's still airing.

edit 2: still can't the loving thing to stream....

If you want to watch a Mormon Scifi show with a $10 budget you can easily find the original Battlestar Galactica dvds in the Wal-Mart $5 bin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

pleasing Trek fans is like, literally impossible. at least star wars fans admit that TFA and Rogue One are good, trek fans just blindly poo poo on everything that's been done since DS9

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

precision posted:

pleasing Trek fans is like, literally impossible. at least star wars fans admit that TFA and Rogue One are good, trek fans just blindly poo poo on everything that's been done since DS9

Trek fans are second only to lesbians as the most irrationally demanding fans of any TV show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

If you want to watch a Mormon Scifi show with a $10 budget you can easily find the original Battlestar Galactica dvds in the Wal-Mart $5 bin.

Is it a mormon thing, i loving knew that website was fishy. I put two and two together with the amount of faith poo poo on the streaming menu.

Haven't watched it, doing Mod's work there Doctore.

Dodged a big time bullet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is Discovery pretty serialized or is it more like the other Star Treks?

I'm starting to think serialized just means whatever people want it to mean.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Is it a mormon thing, i loving knew that website was fishy. I put two and two together with the amount of faith poo poo on the streaming menu.

Haven't watched it, doing Mod's work there Doctore.

Dodged a big time bullet.

Yes, BYU is a Mormon College. So it's a TV show made by a Mormon College. Don't waste your time.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm starting to think serialized just means whatever people want it to mean.

I'm sorry I didn't word that in a way you deem appropriate. The Next Gen had a lot of self contained episodes. DS9 had them as well IIRC but also had more ongoing plot threads. I was just curious about the new one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Enterprise was fairly serialized in the last two seasons but nobody watched that show.

Discovery appears to be serialized so far but we're really only into the first "real" episode right now after the two parter pilot. I do think the klingons will be the primary antagonists for the entire season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Yes, BYU is a Mormon College. So it's a TV show made by a Mormon College. Don't waste your time.

bwhahahaha.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm sorry I didn't word that in a way you deem appropriate. The Next Gen had a lot of self contained episodes. DS9 had them as well IIRC but also had more ongoing plot threads. I was just curious about the new one.

Yeah sorry my post was rude.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It's no biggie although I'm curious what you meant about it. I just always say serialized when I am referring to a show having a lot of ongoing plot threads. Seems like more and more shows are doing that these days though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People use serialized interchangeably to mean "loosely connected episodic adventures" and "large connected narrative told in installments" to the point that it's become impossible to tell which they mean.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, I generally prefer the latter and what I was curious about. If it follows the other Treks I'd guess it would wind up being the former.

e: I've never really been a big fan of Trek. I like sci fi but BSG and The Expanse are more my jam.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 2, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just watched this week's Orville and STD back to back. Both of them ostensibly look like Star Trek but neither of them passes the smell test.

I will watch next week's episodes.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, I generally prefer the latter and what I was curious about. If it follows the other Treks I'd guess it would wind up being the former.

e: I've never really been a big fan of Trek. I like sci fi but BSG and The Expanse are more my jam.
Lucky for you, STD is closer to BSG and The Expanse than actual Star Trek.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rocksicles posted:

Anyone watching Absentia?

Serial killer drama, i'm calling as a quality show. 2 episodes out , on AxN

I hope they can keep the premise interesting, so far it's been a good balance between reveals and secrets. Good to see Stana Katic in something after the whole Castle thing. For some reason it stood out to me a lot of actors in this have (or had) a great voice, especially the FBI boss.

The child actor was pretty bad though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel at this stage, people should just point out when a child actor is crushing it.

They rarely knock it out of the park. Saying that, i agree. The daughter in Tin Star is great, but i assume shes much closer to being an adult.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell is there now yet another tech billionaire police procedural. :stare:

I too thought Techbro solves <problem> crashed and burned everywhere last year. Well, CBS isn't the fastest to jump on and leave trends.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josh Lyman posted:

I just watched this week's Orville and STD back to back. Both of them ostensibly look like Star Trek but neither of them passes the smell test.

You splurged for smellovision? That stuff's even more of a rip-off fad than 3DTV.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, uh...

Am I the only person who binge-watched Big Mouth this past weekend and loving LOVED it? I mean... Sure it was like, one really big long penis joke (lol) but it also was one of the very first shows I've ever seen that really explicitly showed what revoltingly creepy animalistic monsters boys under-going puberty are. Or uh, girls too, really. And also how awkward and awful and embarrassing it is no matter what and how it can be even more awkward and embarrassing when friends are going through puberty and you aren't and how everything is SO EMBARRASSING to quote the show

I felt like the musical number at the end perfectly summed up the gloriously beautiful horror that this show is. I really hate Family guy though and I'm worried liking this may mean I actually like other stupid cartoons I purport to loathe. This really had a je ne sais quoi to it though, from the Garrison Keillor head-loving to the way Maya Rudolph says "Bubble Bath" to Jon Hamm as a seductive garbage-scallop seducing Richard Kind mercilessly

So much to love :sigh:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Go back a few pages, it's been discussed a fair amount.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I enjoyed Big Mouth quite a lot. Definitely exceeded my expectations by a long way.

Third ep of Discovery is a lot better than the first two imo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Worked great in the marathon bombing. /sarcasm

And last night :sigh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Garrett Dillahunt is going to have a recurring role in Gifted. It's great because he's one of my top five favorite character actors but bad because the show is now doomed to premature cancellation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I thought Tin Star was just some standard police procedural from reading the premise but jesus christ that pilot. :stare:

Thanks guys for stoking my interest!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
So Ghosted and Wisdom of the Crowd tied last night in terms of 18-49 Rating/Share....but 5.5 million more people watched Wisdom of the Crowd. CBS' numbers are ridiculous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd be interested to see their demographic trends, are they adding new viewers as older ones die off? Does something happen to you at 55 where you suddenly like superficial techno thrillers and lovely procedurals and become a CBS viewer?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Garrett Dillahunt is going to have a recurring role in Gifted. It's great because he's one of my top five favorite character actors but bad because the show is now doomed to premature cancellation.

Mindy Project seemed to be allowed to end of its own accord with him in it for three seasons. Could the tide be changing?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I'd be interested to see their demographic trends, are they adding new viewers as older ones die off? Does something happen to you at 55 where you suddenly like superficial techno thrillers and lovely procedurals and become a CBS viewer?

In 20 years CBS will be running Rick and Morty reruns for the old farts and the younger people will be saying the same poo poo about us and our dumb old people shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

I thought Tin Star was just some standard police procedural from reading the premise but jesus christ that pilot. :stare:

Thanks guys for stoking my interest!

So far it ramps up with every episode, it's great. Jr. American Psycho is amazing, and his buddy Mr. Mullet

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Now Jon Hamm is in Good Omens as Gabriel, good lord.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Now Jon Hamm is in Good Omens as Gabriel, good lord.

This news is one of the few times a Rich Evans ohhhh my goooddddddd is appropriate

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell is there now yet another tech billionaire police procedural. :stare:

I absolutely love this aspect of TV. When a totally random premise "coincidentally" gets like 3 versions of it on different networks within the same 12 months. You know there's gotta be some story about the premise being shopped to multiple networks and a bunch of them passed and decided to develop their own version? Or for some reason a bunch of networks get scared that a new show is going to be a hit sight unseen so they all develop their own version before the first one has a chance to sink or swim. Its so weird.

Escobarbarian posted:

Mindy Project seemed to be allowed to end of its own accord with him in it for three seasons. Could the tide be changing?

I thought Raising Hope more or less ended where it should have. If anything it might have gone on a season too long.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress Tin Star.

Just finished ep5.

It turns out this show is A History of Violence

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Am I the only one who found the Rick & Morty season finale really underwhelming? The family subplot was nice but the stuff with the President never went anywhere interesting to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Holy gently caress Tin Star.

Just finished ep5.

It turns out this show is A History of Violence

Yup, pretty much! It's so good.

The Exorcist is also so good, to a degree that's nearly unbelievable. S1E2 loving MILLIPEDES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Tin Star ep6: the "As Far as anyone knows, we are a nice, normal family" sign in the bathroom. fuckin lol

Edit: yeah, looking forward to starting Exorcist s2. S1 had a really strong finish.

• Locked thread