Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

poty posted:

apple is dead

good thing we're in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
introducing

the inotephonebookpad xi se

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

gently caress Big Phones

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

the Touch ID on it is great. the huge touch pad is also great. the touchbar is mostly useless for my purposes and slightly annoying. the keyboard is bad and way too loud. the lack of usb A ports is dumb. 3/5 would not buy again.

i am fine with the keyboard feel, but a friend had to replace a key (not key cap) and nope you need a whole top case replacement and a week without your computer for that.

replacing a whole top case with glued in batteries for a bent key spring is mega lmao.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i hope the next macbook has a notch

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Apple could've just like, replaced the Thunderbolt ports on their 2015-style MBPs with USB-C Thunderbolt ports and it would've been perfectly fine.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
also my iPhone 7's replacement screen is bad and doesn't have the warm tones that the original had.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
has apple ever given a reason their phones use lightning cable ports instead of usb-c

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Next macbook will be a 2in1

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bump_fn posted:

has apple ever given a reason their phones use lightning cable ports instead of usb-c
apple wanted to replace the big clunky 30-pin connector, usb-c wasnt ready yet, apple got tired of waiting and rolled their own

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

A since lightning cables are prolific and people pooped their pampers so loving hard about the 30-pin to lightning switch they're not going to do anything soon

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“bump_fn”" post="“476979268”"]
[/quote]

because lightning was created before usb-c? because lightning is stiff enough to mount the entire phone in whereas usb C is not designed for that? because lightning is thinner?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
isnt usb-c "apple's gift to the PC industry" in that the signaling protocol (e.g. dynamic selection of which pins are for power and which are for data) is very heavily inspired by lightning?

and yeah it being physically designed to hold up the phone is super useful, not necessarily for individual users, but in that there isnt a male part inside the female end of the port which can break off

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

FMguru posted:

apple wanted to replace the big clunky 30-pin connector, usb-c wasnt ready yet, apple got tired of waiting and rolled their own

The Management posted:

because lightning was created before usb-c? because lightning is stiff enough to mount the entire phone in whereas usb C is not designed for that? because lightning is thinner?

i didnt know this tnx

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
[quote="“Dixie Cretin Seaman”" post="“476978704”"]
[/quote]

macbook pro 2018 touch bar with camera bump

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C.H.O.M.E posted:

macbook pro 2018 touch bar with camera bump

camera bump located on the notch. it will also feature small hooks that will keep the laptop closed

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hard pass

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i am fine with the keyboard feel, but a friend had to replace a key (not key cap) and nope you need a whole top case replacement and a week without your computer for that.

replacing a whole top case with glued in batteries for a bent key spring is mega lmao.

thanks for reminding me to buy Apple care for my laptop

piece of poo poo keys get stuck and stop working if a little dust gets in, and apparently I work in a very dusty environment because even with the laptop closed it gathers dust

I just know the keyboard is going to
be one of the first parts to break

without Apple care, poo poo's gonna be expensive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ah yes, trump will be the one to clean up corruption

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

ah yes, trump will be the one to clean up corruption

if everyone is corrupt or dead then no one is corrupt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lysidas posted:

isnt usb-c "apple's gift to the PC industry" in that the signaling protocol (e.g. dynamic selection of which pins are for power and which are for data) is very heavily inspired by lightning?

and yeah it being physically designed to hold up the phone is super useful, not necessarily for individual users, but in that there isnt a male part inside the female end of the port which can break off

heavily influenced is one way of saying it. Apple wanted one connector that unified display port, thunderbolt, USB3, and power. a connector that was reversible, symmetric on both ends, thin, and could be used for everything

meanwhile intel and the USBIF were wanking over how to add USB3 support to the awful existing USB connector types. they came up with stupid poo poo like this:

do you think these morons suddenly grew a brain and figured out how to make a connector that doesn't suck? or did someone hand them a spec and wrote the cable firmware for them and told them "here, make this a standard so that everyone adopts it"?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

nope

tim wanted another dedicated accessory to monetize since he can only think about things in terms of attach rate instead of actual product quality

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

bump_fn posted:

i always thought it was just so apple could have more control over the platform. it gives them final say on what types of accessories are allowed, and also a cut of accessory revenue with the "made for iThing" program. it also probably reduces the cost of their support/warranty operations, since it makes it harder for someone to buy a malfunctioning accessory that damages the device

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lightning: Introduced on September 12, 2012 when the iPhone 5 was launched.
usb-c: spec finalized in August 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nothing says "micro usb" like a connector that is almost as big as a usb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

nothing says "micro usb" like a connector that is almost as big as a usb

how about "soviet micro usb"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Management posted:

lightning: Introduced on September 12, 2012 when the iPhone 5 was launched.
usb-c: spec finalized in August 2014

cool but usb-c and lightning are unrelated aside from each being a type of connector

tim pushed lightning because he wanted a dedicated accessories segment for his badphones

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how about "soviet micro usb"

only if the connector is cast in concrete and painted that ugly green color

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tim is waiting for dongle saturation before he switches to usb-c

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the potential problem w/ usb-c wrt apple is existing usb-c dongles sold for mac books will be compatible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the potential problem w/ usb-c wrt apple is existing usb-c dongles sold for mac books will be compatible

the people that buy first part dongles now will buy first party usb-c dongles with their laptops

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

magnetic charging means lightning port is on the way out sometime in the future anyway

lightning adapter is probably the last cable you'll put in an iPhone 🤷🏻‍♂️

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

heavily influenced is one way of saying it. Apple wanted one connector that unified display port, thunderbolt, USB3, and power. a connector that was reversible, symmetric on both ends, thin, and could be used for everything

meanwhile intel and the USBIF were wanking over how to add USB3 support to the awful existing USB connector types. they came up with stupid poo poo like this:

do you think these morons suddenly grew a brain and figured out how to make a connector that doesn't suck? or did someone hand them a spec and wrote the cable firmware for them and told them "here, make this a standard so that everyone adopts it"?

lo designed by committee , a committee of people who think android is the best thing since sliced bread. God drat those things are terrible.

Actual question: Why does USB type B even exist? I mean beyond being bad at everything.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Apple could've just like, replaced the Thunderbolt ports on their 2015-style MBPs with USB-C Thunderbolt ports and it would've been perfectly fine.

retina MPBs having two thunderbolt ports seems like barbaric overkill since you can daisy chain the things. I guess unless you want to daisy chain through your laptop to have even more things connected to it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
timb is going to keep the iphone port as long as he can upsell us $30 cables that fray after two months

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

lo designed by committee , a committee of people who think android is the best thing since sliced bread. God drat those things are terrible.

Actual question: Why does USB type B even exist? I mean beyond being bad at everything.

usb is directed, with power only coming from the downstream side. if you force different physical connectors, you can prevent overloads and such

usb-c does away with this by having a controller inside each cable

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

magnetic charging means lightning port is on the way out sometime in the future anyway

lightning adapter is probably the last cable you'll put in an iPhone 🤷🏻‍♂️

nah they'll have to keep the lightning port since wireless charging has everyone's iphones busting open like techno pinatas

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wireless charging is slow and dumb and doesn't work on the go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

the people that buy first part dongles now will buy first party usb-c dongles with their laptops

I'm saying if apple went to usb-c on the iphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

wireless charging is slow and dumb and doesn't work on the go.

dont sign ur postes

• Locked thread