Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
*shoots a character fighting in melee with an archer unit that is in a completely different melee*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I actually have a few AoS models. The sinister thing about that game is if you want to collect Khorne's Bloody Bloodboys or the Stormfront Sigmarines then it's easy to start with the Storm of Sigmar box, get a hero for your skirmish games, and then work your way up with their campaign systems. Not many other minis games have that slow ramping onboarding quite like that. Also yes, they're Your Dudes, and the named characters are so far away and ill-defined that its a surprise to see them fielded in any way.

Safety Factor posted:

*shoots a character fighting in melee with an archer unit that is in a completely different melee*

*ten foot tall golem with hammer made of lightning hits but somehow fails to hurt a bare-chested man with nothing but an axe and gumption*

*raving berserk lunatic powered by a god of murder standing a few feet away from his foe trips and falls over his bootlaces*

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 2, 2017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

DiHK posted:

That sounds cool and I've been peeking at the started sets

Don't (do) do it. I bought the £20 AoS starter a few weeks after grabbing Dark Imperium and haven't really painted any 40k stuff since, except maybe a couple of Primaris guys in different chapter colours. Also the AoS thread needs more peeps to space out my poo poo posts.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Don't the CSM stratagems specifically say they can't be used on death guard or thousand sons units? How could they target death guard cultists with CSM stratagems?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

Don't the CSM stratagems specifically say they can't be used on death guard or thousand sons units? How could they target death guard cultists with CSM stratagems?

They can't be used by Death Guard. They can be used on Cultists. As a Chaos Legion activation, you use "your" stratagem on some conveniently placed Cultists of the Death Guard.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

chutche2 posted:

The codex only notes that you can't tag your <Legion> with those names. You can mix any detachments you want you just can't have a CSM <DG> because thy have their own rules.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

The argument, which has been confirmed by the FAQ, was that that sentence is meant to explain that a purely Death Guard army doesnt get the CSM strategies, even though they are also Heretic Astartes so you might think they do.

Once you get access to both sets of strategems (by having a detachment of each), you can target them however each strategems specifies.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyway, wanted some advice on these guys before I bought more. Here's what I'm planning for a 2000 list, I've got a daemon start collecting (plus more plaguebearers), the know no fear set, and some of the easy to build DG boxes. It's at 1997 points here.

So for my death guard, I was wanting to do a battallion of DG plus a patrol of daemons backing them up.

The DG would be led by a flying nurgle prince and a lord of contagion. I've considered maybe changing stuff around to include a plaguecaster too. Thinking the prince would be the warlord with the plate relic, and maybe rotten constitution.

For troops I'd have 20 cultists with 2 heavy stubbers and autoguns, 10 poxwalkers (I had some points left over and wasn't sure what to do with them, would my 3 nurglings be better?), and 2 7 man PM squads each with a plasmagun, blight launcher, and plasmagun + fist sergeant.

After that, the DG detachment is rounded off with 5 posessed with an icon of despair, a lascannon + power scourge helbrute, a plagueburst crawler with 2 entropy cannons, a bloat drone with plaguespitters, and 2 rhinos loaded with havoc launchers and 2 combi bolters. Since I'm not using a lot of melee in my PM squads the rhinos are there really for harassing fire and to rush guys off to objectives. I could haul the possessed around in them though. But the plague marines should be sitting at 18 inches in cover much of the time ideally, using the rhinos as extra mobility when needed rather than using them as my primary plan.

The daemon detachment is a herald, 28 plaguebearers with icon and instrument, and 3 plague drones. The herald making the plaguebearers S5 is great, there's enough plaguebearers to keep their -1 to be hit for a while, and the herald can cast powers on my posessed.

If I dropped the poxwalkers entirely and the icon of despair (and maybe some other bits of wargear) I could fit in one of the various DG characters, not sure which to go for. Replacing the poxwalkers with nurglings would let me upgrade a rhino to have a combi-flamer.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 2, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am a little sad that 40k is being infected more strongly with the taint of Warmachine and Malifaux. Seeing the same named characters in every list to me speaks of a failure of balance, while also eroding any immersion people have with the setting. The fact that the King of Space is constantly getting involved in these tiny conflicts is madness.

I think the 30k system is much stronger here. You can still play with your armies big cool leaders, but it has to be a pretty significant points level and even then you are missing out on taking a "Crazy Tank" (tm) to plop your Primarch down. If named characters are so good they are an auto include that says to me that either they should be restricted in some fashion and/or other HQ options should be better.

Taking the optimal stiff for a serious tournament is fine. It is not too my taste, but it is certainly a valid way to enjoy the hobby. I just feel people should take pride in their Space Mans, and not just be the guys who wash Cawls car while he leads your Forge to glorious victory over Guilliman.

Requiring named characters was one of the reasons I stayed away from Warmachine, and I agree that it's pretty irritating to see matches that go completely against the fluff with respect to fluff. It's also one of the things that turns me off so much about the tournament scene, where you have to exploit every little detail in order to get ahead and if the end result makes your opponent suffer then all the better (after all he might quit just to end it). I still haven't played 30K but I've heard good things, but getting a whole new army when I still haven't even painted enough Orks or gotten decently into my Primaris is a non-starter. The problem is that GW naturally wants to sell models, plastic molds are expensive, and it's not a good business decision to prevent players from using stuff they've paid for.

I'd like to explore more of a campaign-style game with friends, doing stuff like fighting over a map to control territory and whatnot. Has anyone done anything like that?

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone want to trade for two sets of DI Nurgle? I play CSM but of the Black Legion and Thousand Sons variety and never really dug Nurgle. One is from my own DI set and a friend gave me the other but I'll never use it. I'm in Baltimore for any local MD/NOVA goons. Would take Eldar (esp Aspect Warriors) or more generic Chaos poo poo.

Also interested in slammin hams with my shamelessly unpainted hordes! Beer hammer or meeting at Games and Stuff or something. No room at my house or else I'd offer that up.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
New 40k was nice while it lasted.

Kidding of course but its really at the point characters are almost mandatory. Big Blue will be everywhere. So you need your equivalent.

This ruling of stratagem mixing an relic abuse feels close to what made me stop back in 5th along with just fliers in general.

Can't wait to see multiple primarchs leading like 2 units into battle in average games.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
people in this thread must play way more 40k than I do; I didn't realize strategem mixing was a thing until this FAQ came out and I've logged more than a dozen 8th edition games now

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Anyone want to trade for two sets of DI Nurgle? I play CSM but of the Black Legion and Thousand Sons variety and never really dug Nurgle. One is from my own DI set and a friend gave me the other but I'll never use it. I'm in Baltimore for any local MD/NOVA goons. Would take Eldar (esp Aspect Warriors) or more generic Chaos poo poo.

Also interested in slammin hams with my shamelessly unpainted hordes! Beer hammer or meeting at Games and Stuff or something. No room at my house or else I'd offer that up.

I might try to put together a HAM SLAM in my house at some point. It's in Waldorf but there's plenty of room and The Sex Cannon can confirm that my dogs are cool.

What are you looking for in trade?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

I'm definitely interested in the plague drones and have generic CSM stuff to trade for them. You want some defilers or vindicators? Got a lot of those

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I don't think it's that bad yet; the most complaints are about Roboute (who should be powerful, and is quite expensive) and Celestine, who is an undercosted flying aura-providing blenderizer that loving comes back to life. Celestine could get nerfed in her Codex, not that I believe that after watching what they did to Astra Militarum. Cawl and Mars being the only viable AdMech Forge World is more the fault of rushing that book out, complete with copied & pasted typos from the Index.

TheChirurgeon posted:

people in this thread must play way more 40k than I do; I didn't realize strategem mixing was a thing until this FAQ came out and I've logged more than a dozen 8th edition games now

I don't think any of us were even thinking along those lines until the FAQ from yesterday pointed out that you could do it

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Really, I think with most characters it'd be better if they were opened up.

There's no reason Cawl has to be Mars. Every forgeworld could have their own big archmagos equivalent with the same rules. There could be other saints than Celestine around. The lesser Marine characters could have their own equivalents in other chapters. It's really just guys like primarchs that should be unique.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am a little sad that 40k is being infected more strongly with the taint of Warmachine and Malifaux. Seeing the same named characters in every list to me speaks of a failure of balance, while also eroding any immersion people have with the setting. The fact that the King of Space is constantly getting involved in these tiny conflicts is madness.

I think the 30k system is much stronger here. You can still play with your armies big cool leaders, but it has to be a pretty significant points level and even then you are missing out on taking a "Crazy Tank" (tm) to plop your Primarch down. If named characters are so good they are an auto include that says to me that either they should be restricted in some fashion and/or other HQ options should be better.

Taking the optimal stiff for a serious tournament is fine. It is not too my taste, but it is certainly a valid way to enjoy the hobby. I just feel people should take pride in their Space Mans, and not just be the guys who wash Cawls car while he leads your Forge to glorious victory over Guilliman.

There is nothing wrong with named characters. It's wrong when they are so undercosted that they are auto includes. Just as bad when they are auto includes because there are no viable alternatives. I want to play Mortarion, I don't give a poo poo what people's opinions are on named characters, but it is legitimately BS if all named charters include unwarranted cost reduction. Seems obvious to me that the further they get away from generic MEQ the harder it is to create rules and costs that are appropriate. A lot of the point numbers seem like they are generated using random.org because they don't know any better.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

chutche2 posted:

Really, I think with most characters it'd be better if they were opened up.

There's no reason Cawl has to be Mars. Every forgeworld could have their own big archmagos equivalent with the same rules. There could be other saints than Celestine around. The lesser Marine characters could have their own equivalents in other chapters. It's really just guys like primarchs that should be unique.

You have a point with Cawl but dude, it's Saint Celestine. The Orders Militant aren't going to have their own individual balloon waifus, lol

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Trying to decide between two Ynnari lists for a local 1000pt tournament. All models must be WYSIWYG, No Forgeworld is allowed otherwise I would be using my shadow spectres for sure! I know troupes are a more competitive troop choice, but I don't have any. Other models in my collection are vypers, warp spiders, howling banshees, striking scorpions, fire dragons, swooping hawks, cannon wraithguard, shining spears, falcons, dire avengers and most of the phoenix lords.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Ynnari) [57 PL, 1000pts] ++
+ HQ +
Farseer [6 PL, 120pts]: 1. Guide, 2. Doom, Singing Spear
Yvraine [7 PL, 132pts]: Gaze of Ynnead, Word of the Phoenix

+ Troops +
Guardian Defenders [4 PL, 80pts]: 10x Guardian Defender
Guardian Defenders [4 PL, 110pts]: 10x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Aeldari Missile Launcher
Rangers [5 PL, 100pts]: 5x Ranger

+ Heavy Support +
Dark Reapers [22 PL, 305pts]
. 8x Dark Reaper: 8x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Shuriken Cannon

+ Dedicated Transport +
Wave Serpent [9 PL, 153pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines
++ Total: [57 PL, 1000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

**++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Ynnari) [57 PL, 1000pts] ++**
**+ HQ +**
**Farseer [6 PL, 120pts]:** 1. Guide, 2. Doom, Singing Spear
**Yvraine [7 PL, 132pts]:** Ancestors' Grace, Word of the Phoenix

**+ Heavy Support +**
**Dark Reapers [22 PL, 305pts]**
. 8x Dark Reaper: 8x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Shuriken Cannon
**War Walkers [5 PL, 85pts]**
. War Walker: Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Cannon
**Wraithlord [7 PL, 137pts]:** Ghostglaive, 2x Shuriken Cannon, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

**+ Flyer +**
**Hemlock Wraithfighter [10 PL, 221pts]:** 1. Conceal/Reveal, Spirit Stones
**++ Total: [57 PL, 1000pts] ++**
Created with [BattleScribe](http://www.battlescribe.net)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Phyresis posted:

You have a point with Cawl but dude, it's Saint Celestine. The Orders Militant aren't going to have their own individual balloon waifus, lol

There have been lots of other saints.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

chutche2 posted:

There have been lots of other saints.

In the past, yes, being dead. Celestine's whole deal is not being dead.

But I guess if that isn't a problem for primachs, then really, how faithful to the emperor can those saints really be if they're just lazing around being not-alive when he needs them...

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

yeah lol perhaps you are unfamiliar with the requirements for sainthood

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Brigades of IG an even chapters of marines have been known to tag along with saints. Recall it was in a Gaunt's Ghosts the chapter Brazen Skulls.

Think from a game perspective the thing is it shouldn't be auto include Celestine when at all available.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

For_Great_Justice posted:

Brigades of IG an even chapters of marines have been known to tag along with saints. Recall it was in a Gaunt's Ghosts the chapter Brazen Skulls.

Think from a game perspective the thing is it shouldn't be auto include Celestine when at all available.

Oh absolutely.

But the comparison of Cawl and Celestine above doesn't really work in that respect - Cawl influences which sub-faction you're going to play, wheres Celestine gets glued onto whatever imperium mix you want because why not.

Cawl is specifically tied to Mars, whereas even if the sisters orders had their own rules and stratagems Celestine explicitly does not belong to a single order. So making a bunch of different saints doesn't solve anything the way making different archmagos might.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Deleter posted:

Roboute Guilliman and Cawl being undercosted is yet another failure of Games Workshop's inter-faction balance and not an attempt to chase the target of two completely different skirmish games with completely different audiences, you blithering moron.

Jesus fella. Not the point of my post at all.

LOL if you think GW cares about the scraps of the Malifaux and Warmachine communities that still exist.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Giant Isopod posted:

Oh absolutely.

But the comparison of Cawl and Celestine above doesn't really work in that respect - Cawl influences which sub-faction you're going to play, wheres Celestine gets glued onto whatever imperium mix you want because why not.

Cawl is specifically tied to Mars, whereas even if the sisters orders had their own rules and stratagems Celestine explicitly does not belong to a single order. So making a bunch of different saints doesn't solve anything the way making different archmagos might.

Celestine was more in comment to people saying they don't like named characters from a fluff perspective.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I want to make some Nurgle daemon princes with wings. Any suggestions where I could get some quality wings without having to steal them from another model?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Gw does want malifaux an wmh players. Its more profit. Their default load out for new character kits an the minimal choices for units more recent like primaris is a hard attempt at that but also maybe balance at rules. Also examples like Gravis captains. One load out.

DG new troop kits do have multiple options but characters like the Tallyman etc do not to my knowledge.

They as always try to strike a balance. They just don't really do great at it imo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Another thing I noticed, I don't remember seeing it here. The 'generic' DG character kits are named, e.g. Scribbus Wretch instead of just a Tallyman.

I'm wondering if that's to try make the game 'feel' more like Malifaux where basically every individual is a special character, or just to explain the lack of options int he kits?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

Another thing I noticed, I don't remember seeing it here. The 'generic' DG character kits are named, e.g. Scribbus Wretch instead of just a Tallyman.

I'm wondering if that's to try make the game 'feel' more like Malifaux where basically every individual is a special character, or just to explain the lack of options int he kits?

It's for trademark, any other reason is secondary.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

My guess is that they were planning on making each one of them a named character, but backed off of that idea for whatever reason.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Zark the Damned posted:

They damned well built this stupid name factory for AoS so might as well get use out of it!

Sorry, I meant Word-Bound Sentenceorium

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I might try to put together a HAM SLAM in my house at some point. It's in Waldorf but there's plenty of room and The Sex Cannon can confirm that my dogs are cool.

What are you looking for in trade?

The next time I come over, I'm taking the big one with me when I leave.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Giant Isopod posted:

Oh absolutely.

Celestine is a problem because she's a) cheap and b) great on her own. Most characters are taken because they provide excellent force multiplication you can't get anywhere else - Guilliman and Cawl are the worst offenders here by far. Celestine is the complete opposite - you can slot her in anywhere, because she's completely self-contained. Even if she was restricted to a single Order it wouldn't matter particularly, that's not what she's being taken for.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Sex Cannon posted:

The next time I come over, I'm taking the big one with me when I leave.

I think BeerGod's wife will be mad you took her husband.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Cawl has this feedback loop thing going where I actively dislike the Mars special rules but a 9 inch shooting reroll aura is way too good to ignore.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Khorne Blood Warriors look loving fantastic as more tribal-looking Khorne Berzerkers, especially because the models are a couple of decades more recent than the ancient models we have right now

What are some other Age of Sigmar models that make for great 40k conversions?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

So the issue with Cawl is too good not to take. A solution would be make an equivalent named or close to equivalent unamed hq type.

Thing is you're just going to take the best. Why would not outside fluff or army building restrictions.

So realisticly outside nuking Cawl down hes going to be taken, hes an auto include which is flat out bad.

Is a solution maybe make one character per forge world? Then again that may just go to people taking as many as possible battle forged bonuses or not or whatever.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The solution is that all of the "auto-include" named characters should probably be 20% more expensive, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Well I mean a big part of it is Cawl is the only way to get full rerolls for admech instead of just 1's. And it only applies to Mars.

Space Marines at least let you upgrade your captains to chapter masters for 2 CP.