Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The bad thing about having a SSD is that they expect you to read this in the ~10 seconds it takes for the campaign map to load after beating the final battle:

Dongattack posted:

After finishing 3 1/2 campaigns i gotta say that i don't really like the Vortex mechanic. It was fineish on my first campaign with the races, but i feel like combined with the layout of the map makes playthroughs so linear and samey.

Like with Skaven as Queef (hehe) you consolidate your starter position, knock out Last Defenders and push north always thinking warp crystals, move your armies back to defend the ritual, move up again x5 (or something) and the game ends. And every game will play out pretty much the same.

Whereas with Greenskins my first game i went south and subjugated all the other greenskins while holding out against the dwarves, finally pushing north and fighting chaos in the mountains. Then the next game i went north killing the dwarves, confederating with all the greenskins and defending against Chaos in the middle. Third game i allied with a big greenskin clan to the north and helped them + vampires take out chaos, etc etc.

It's just really linear, everything happens the same way at roughly the same time which it did a bit in the first game too, but not to this extent.

I'm not really seeing this. The structure of the game remains the same but you can play the game just as differently as you did warhammer 1 and go in different directions etc. More even since building tall and not blobbing out actually is a semi legit tactic in this one.

I ended up restarting my very hard Morathi campaign after getting pretty far in since I felt that I had hosed up a bit, in the first one I conquered the entirety of Naggaroth after a long hellwar with Malekith and blobbed my way over into Ulthuan while doing rituals as they came up. In the second which I actually completed the game with I just grabbed her first two provinces, went south to snag the mirror pools and then sailed over to Ulthuan to grab the Shrine of Khaine while waiting until I was done and could turtle up in the ritual sites before starting any rituals. Choices!

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

the province list came out. old world stays exactly as it was, bottom tip of notafrica and the western coasts of both Naggarond and Lustria get cut off, Hell Pit and Skavenblight become provinces in the old world.

You have a link to that?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Almost every battle I play, the AI refuses to form a proper battle line and commit to it. The AI will consistently blob up without fail as soon as they're within charging distance. It makes most battles play out stupidly, because I'll just anchor them in place with my main battle line, and then send units to flank and hit them in the rear. They'll have a somewhat intimidating battle line, but that quickly boils to poo poo. I wanted epic clashes of battle lines but I'm just getting zerg rushes that end horribly for the AI.

I was really hoping Warhammer 2 would solve this AI issue, but clearly not. It'd be absolutely brilliant if you had to form battle lines against the AI and they actually stuck with the tactic, it would make it much harder to just flank them and wipe out their morale.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I found a fun fact about the chaos armies, actually. So no one will declare war on them, that's a mechanic it's your thing to fight and vice versa when the AI is targeted. But.

Your rebels will fight them. One of my provinces broke out into a dinky rebel stack and immediately moved in to suplex a chaos doom stack, somehow won, then suicided their near dead stack into my province the same turn. I'm not sure how a six unit stack actually dunked a twenty one, but it's a thought.

Randarkman posted:

You have a link to that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/73t5dg/full_list_of_provinces_of_the_mortals_empire/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

Almost every battle I play, the AI refuses to form a proper battle line and commit to it. The AI will consistently blob up without fail as soon as they're within charging distance. It makes most battles play out stupidly, because I'll just anchor them in place with my main battle line, and then send units to flank and hit them in the rear. They'll have a somewhat intimidating battle line, but that quickly boils to poo poo. I wanted epic clashes of battle lines but I'm just getting zerg rushes that end horribly for the AI.

I was really hoping Warhammer 2 would solve this AI issue, but clearly not. It'd be absolutely brilliant if you had to form battle lines against the AI and they actually stuck with the tactic, it would make it much harder to just flank them and wipe out their morale.
Could someone more well-versed in modding than I tell us if it's possible for the AI to A) group their armies, and B) lock their formations?

If so that solves this problem, right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Could someone more well-versed in modding than I tell us if it's possible for the AI to A) group their armies, and B) lock their formations?

If so that solves this problem, right?

I doubt anything would be capable of being made to a satisfactory level. If the base game has really idiotic AI behaviour, there's only so much a mod can do to fix that crippled system.

I'm just waiting for Total War 2082 when each unit has it's very own artificial intelligence, and our quantum computers are powerful enough to simulate 3,000 separate consciousness' at a time.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Q8ee posted:

I doubt anything would be capable of being made to a satisfactory level. If the base game has really idiotic AI behaviour, there's only so much a mod can do to fix that crippled system.

I'm just waiting for Total War 2082 when each unit has it's very own artificial intelligence, and our quantum computers are powerful enough to simulate 3,000 separate consciousness' at a time.

I too long for the day when every AI unit is being micro'd and macro'd perfectly..

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does anyone else feel like they made the battle camera worse? even on the highest sensitivity it takes forever to zoom down to ground level

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
What units do you use for armor piercing melee work for Skaven? They don't have a great weapon version of Stormvermin, only sword+board and Halberds. I suppose censer bearers fit the bill, since they have armor piercing, armor sundering, poison, and frenzy. Though they have like no armor so it seems you need to bog down units with slaves/Clan Rats and attack from behind with the censer bearers.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Panfilo posted:

What units do you use for armor piercing melee work for Skaven? They don't have a great weapon version of Stormvermin, only sword+board and Halberds. I suppose censer bearers fit the bill, since they have armor piercing, armor sundering, poison, and frenzy. Though they have like no armor so it seems you need to bog down units with slaves/Clan Rats and attack from behind with the censer bearers.

Death runners mixed with whither is like, -90 armour so as long as you point it at a section of armour, you just use literally anything. Skrolk with his dumbass book also works.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Censer bearers work pretty well between their debuffs and their AP damage. The most reliable solution I've found though is to use the armor debuff in the plague magic tree and then just bury the target in rats.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I've mostly fought against lizards, about to go fight some Bretonnians. But I find that warp-fire throwers, poison-wind globadiers (versus large), death-wind globadiers (versus infantry), rat ogres (pretty sure they are armor-piercing) and the lightning cannons (the raised gun platforms makes them amazing as they can fire over your lines) all work pretty great. That and numbers of course, and judicious use of menace below to disrupt, fix and enable me to envelop enemy forces.

I guess fighting dwarfs would be the ultimate test of whether or not your army can deal with armored units or not. Queek in the mega campaign is going to be pretty rad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

Rat Ogres are pretty good.

Or just bog them with chaff and use Poison Wind Globadiers.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Data-miners have confirmed Skavenblight, Lahmia and Hell Pit for the Mortal Empires campaign.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Data-miners have confirmed Skavenblight, Lahmia and Hell Pit for the Mortal Empires campaign.

Where's Lahmia and Hell Pit?

e: Also I've grown fond of this infantry formation for Queek's Stormvermin-heavy army.

S = Stormvermin G = Globadiers W = Warpfire Throwers
code:
    W
S S S S S
  G   G
Number of Stormvermin and Globadiers may vary, artillery goes behind, gutter runners and skirmishers go in front to skirmish, draw out and distract the enemy. chaff goes behind and slightly to the flank usually, for envelopments. When the enemy nears my line I usually pop menace below in their face which allows me to get a little fire out of my warp-fire throwers before I charge my Stormvermin in, then I usually have to find a gap or a flank to have them continue flaming, best is if I can deploy them slightly higher than where the engagement is as then they can just sit behind and keep on flaming (some stormvermin will die, but I have such good replenishment going now that they are largely expendable up to a point). Globadiers have a great arc to their throws and are in general just great to have behind your infantry line.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 2, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you have a lord set to move and end turn is there a way to get it to let you command him further? I so loving many times send a guy on a 3-5 turn journey and his last turn he walks 5 feet and stops.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
does it feel like archers have higher firing arcs now compared to the first game

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Randarkman posted:

Hell Pit is in Troll Country, Lahmia is just east of the mountains east of the Land of the Dead.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Randarkman posted:

Lahmia is off-map currently, it's further up the coast from Kroq-Gar's start. Its main claim to fame is being the birthplace of Vampires, after which the ancient Nehekharans tore the place down, salted the ruins, and took measures to ensure Vampires would never again blight Nehekhara.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

does it feel like archers have higher firing arcs now compared to the first game

They definitely seem to be doing mortar shots like they did back in Rome 1

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

RentACop posted:

They definitely seem to be doing mortar shots like they did back in Rome 1

Yep I noticed earlier playing Helfs that my archer line directly behind my melee-engaged front line was shooting piddly little arcing shots over my guys.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dartonus posted:

Lahmia is off-map currently, it's further up the coast from Kroq-Gar's start. Its main claim to fame is being the birthplace of Vampires, after which the ancient Nehekharans tore the place down, salted the ruins, and took measures to ensure Vampires would never again blight Nehekhara.

"do you mean some great sorcerous working, oh great and powerful lords?"
"nah, wizards are bullshit. every single military post and piece of armor now has as many holy sigils as we can possibly cram onto it. any son of nehekara who refuses the ceremonial bro-grab on entry can be safely assumed to be a vampire and summarily put to death."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Teclis is being a total dumbass in my Tyrion campaign. He expanded up and down but never bothered defending his home province so Xeti and the Bloodhall Coven (which he never bothered actually finishing and both came back from 1 town to curbstomp him) took everything and now Skrolk is making GBS threads on his northern territory with 4 stacks while a single Grey Seer is sacking all his south stuff. He just kept running forward while everything behind him vanished. I probably can't save him either.

Stick to yer book-learnings ya nerd!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Oh man, I just ran into a battle where the 40 unit limit hurt me badly. First game.

I'm trying to get my two stacks, Grimgor and Wurzag, back to home turf for a bit of a break and recruitment after sacking the border princes and defending against dwarfs around the badlands. Just as I get there, Grimgor pops a WAAAGH! and the next turn so does Wurzag. So now I've got 4 stacks sitting next to Iron Rock. I decide to seize the moment and we all march up and lay siege to Karaz-a-Karak, Dwarven Super Stronghold. It's got a hell of a garrison, and also the Dwarven King is chilling in there with a full stack. Sure one half of my army is goblins, but I reckon it's doable. Predictive bar gives me slight advantage, even though I'm going into maybe the biggest meatgrinder the game can give me.

Battle starts, Grimgor and a goblin army is onscreen, the other 2 stacks coming in as reinforcements. And then they don't actually arrive and I realise I'd forgotten there was a 40 unit limit. Oops.Half my army is trapped off-screen.

The battle doesn't go well. One stack of decent orcs and a stack of goblins, versus two stacks of dwarves in a stronghold. Nope. Units from the other stacks unhelpfully trickle in as individual units rout off the map.

Went back and autoresolved into a close victory. drat I was really excited to play that battle! :smith:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It looks like there's something weird with certain factions on medium difficulty, I've noticed no matter how much Teclis and the other southern elves expand they always have one full stack and one half full stack. I'm going to try pumping money into them and see if that kicks them up

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

so close!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Which of the two skaven lords is the most fun and challenging start? queeks bonuses seem the most straightforward with 50% off your best mid and top tier infantry, I'm not sure the best way to leverage plague monks.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I wish I started as skrolk because screaming bells are the coolest mount in a game

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Which of the two skaven lords is the most fun and challenging start? queeks bonuses seem the most straightforward with 50% off your best mid and top tier infantry, I'm not sure the best way to leverage plague monks.

Queek, because eventually Krox'gar is going to come down to make you cry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
He can't ride any mounts, so nothing stopping you from getting lords with the bell as queek I guess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Plague monks are just swole melee from traditional factions, but the differences in the lords are more what they get up to;

Queek goes in ham against a bunch of islander elves (autoresolve seabattles go) and the Last Defenders, one of the Lizard LLs, from the word go. This is rough as the Skaven weapon stuff comes in at tier four and five, so you have to hold on until then. Once you beat them you then have the placeholder factions in the Southlands that will be Araby and the Tomb Kings one day, but that does mean you get to dunk Empire, Dwarves and Brettonia in the meantime.

Skolk is on Lustria, by Teclis. You get to fight all three other factions, as well as some dwarves and orcs. I'd recommend playing him.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Someone made a video of the various sync attacks in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZFiuwrGiSI

I really like the Legendary Lord dueling ones, especially Queek V Kroq. :allears:

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
Queek is probably harder. You're surrounded by lizardmen, who are almost invincible to most of your units. You can outnumber Krox'gar by like 2 stacks and STILL lose autoresolve.

In fact, I'm pretty frustrated. Everyone I fight seems to never break and lizardmen saurus just get better instead of breaking. I've had high elf units of like 10 rally repeatedly against me with no general. On normal difficultly.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He can't ride any mounts, so nothing stopping you from getting lords with the bell as queek I guess.

Grey seers have big loyalty penalties if you're playing Queek, though

the loyalty mechanic hasn't really affected my game so far but it feels bad if a number is low

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mordja posted:

Someone made a video of the various sync attacks in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZFiuwrGiSI

I really like the Legendary Lord dueling ones, especially Queek V Kroq. :allears:

my fav is the kroxigor biting someone and rolling around

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Ahahaha, chokepoint battle vs Vampires as Lizards.

I had a full line of silver-gold Sauri with some revivifaction crystals. The fairly high tier (ghosts, crypt fiends, lots of knights and big beasties) vampires charged, charged some more, then charged even more and lost the entirety of their 3 stacks. I lost like 90 dudes, and most of them were Skinks whem a bunch of Vargheist flyers went for my backline.
Regenerating temple guard does not give a gently caress.

If you use Bastiladons with crystals, bring 2 and use them in tandem. They can heal each other as well.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

Grey seers have big loyalty penalties if you're playing Queek, though

the loyalty mechanic hasn't really affected my game so far but it feels bad if a number is low

Losing an entire army and then having them split off into their own faction seems like a really scary prospect if you're not prepared for it, but I've never had to deal with it either.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

also I broke Krok'gars original army as Queek by ambushing them, having night runners peel some of them off and double back from across the map, killing Krok and then using the remnants of my army to kite his berserk saurus around while my one unit of warp fire rats got them low enough to break. It was still really close and I probably would have lost if I was playing on a higher difficulty than Hard, Krok+19 saurus units was way tougher than any other stack I've fought at turn ~50

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mordja posted:

I love the Mazdamundi Monster Dunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Finally got enough free time to play this. Made the boring choice and started as Tyrion. Holy poo poo do the high elves like arrows.

Can someone explain to me what exactly rituals do? Should I be funding intervention armies? Should I be worried someone is past the 2nd 'tier' and I just reached the 1st one?