Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kirios posted:

Wow, the Specter Knight campaign kind of sucks. The Plague Knight one was waaaay better.

Definitely the low point for Shovel Knight so far...outstanding game though.

get a load of this bad opinion about the best campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Plague Knight was a far more fun character to play as.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

Actually I think the PS4 controller has been the first Sony controller I actually like.

Honestly? Same here. I like the DS4 above any other current gen controller, but really dislike all previous Dualshocks

Kirios posted:

Plague Knight was a far more fun character to play as.

Nooooo ahhahaha, no. But it's very cool and ok that you had that experience

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

mandatory lesbian posted:

just quoting this to agree that all the 100% digital people are selfish bastards

Selfish AND Cowardly

You have to lick each cartridge before having the privilege to play it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Plague > Shovel > Specter but all of them are fantastic

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Dizz posted:

Selfish AND Cowardly

You have to lick each cartridge before having the privilege to play it.

wait gently caress is stardew digital only?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dizz posted:

Of course it is.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PneumonicBook posted:

Did anyone play through Stardew with a controller on PC or I suppose has experience with the PS4 port? Just curious how it's going to feel compared to M/KB.

I played it on PS4 and certain menus were somewhat frustrating to navigate, specifically, the crafting list. The stuff you can craft has their icons just kinda tossed into a box with no grid structure, so using the D-pad to move through them was drat near impossible. There's an option to enable analog cursor (read: slow rear end mouse mode) but from what I remember, this disables D-pad navigation. It was a trade-off in the most used area of the game, and I hope there's a more elegant solution in the Switch version.

I played about 25 hours of the PS4 version and the minor niggles such as that mentioned above slowly made me lose interest, but in the case the Switch version supports touch screen selection of items/craftables, I will absolutely buy it again.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Plague > Shovel > Specter but all of them are fantastic

I agree. Specter isn't bad, per say. It's still fun, but to me it's easily the weakest of the three.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Dizz posted:

I prefer digital for the instant access without switching carts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dizz posted:

Why would it ever have a physical release

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

You can't lick a digital game! Also; The game's store page says it's $14.99 in the US for anyone asking, and that it's single player only. I thought they said they were implementing multiplayer?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dizz posted:

You can't lick a digital game! Also; The game's store page says it's $14.99 in the US for anyone asking, and that it's single player only. I thought they said they were implementing multiplayer?

They are, but they aren't going to advertise that until the patch is done and released.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stardew Valley is only £10.99 and I like that a lot

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dizz posted:

Just hold your tongue out in the intervening space between your router and your Switch while the game downloads. Get that Quantum Particle Licc

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I haven't paid super close attention to this, so it might have been like this for a while now. But I just saw that Amazon has Switches in stock for Prime Members only.

Just ordered one.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MUAGZ49/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Frankston posted:

Stardew Valley is only £10.99 and I like that a lot

Gonna buy it at that price! Thought it would be more, wouldn't have been shocked to see £20.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

those PS3 shoulder buttons are an atrocity compared to the PS4. It was disgusting playing PS3 games with the default controllers, which were so low quality. Actually I think the PS4 controller has been the first Sony controller I actually like.

Good news, you can play a PS3 with a PS4 controller! All you have to do is plug it in to the USB, only downside is no rumble and you need a PS3 controller around to do Start/Select stuff IIRC.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why would it ever have a physical release

The PS4/Xbox One versions had one. I seriously see copies of Stardew sitting on the bargain shelf at Walmart.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I like the angsty story of Specter Knight. Plague Knight is silly and also good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mona is the best and Specter Knight has nothing that compares to that dance.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Kirios posted:

Mona is the best and Specter Knight has nothing that compares to that dance.

Yea it does, the ending was really good.

It needed a rewrite of the whole thing to really make it work but it's still pretty great.

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 2, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm going on a long plane flight next week and am looking for a external battery charger than can charge both my Switch and Surface Pro. I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lizone-35000mAh-Portable-External-Microsoft/dp/B015VDLWTI/ref=br_lf_m_jh59ukay8pjt6qq_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=wireless

It should be able to charge my Surface but would it work with my Switch as well?

This is the popular one, I think someone said they were able to keep their switch going for 15 hours off it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRQDAEI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2TNA12TJBOIYU&colid=32G7ZDOBQ1J4U

Make sure you add the promo item to your cart so it's $63.99.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Meant Specter Knight, sorry.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

GreenNight posted:

They are, but they aren't going to advertise that until the patch is done and released.

Has there been ANY progress on it? I remember this being developed for a long time now and it's odd that it's still so hush as if it's still being started on.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

Has there been ANY progress on it? I remember this being developed for a long time now and it's odd that it's still so hush as if it's still being started on.

Just a reminder that ConcernedApe is the original Stardew dev and Chucklefish, as publishers, have been handling ports and also took on multiplayer (and localization, iirc. big jobs!). Also reminder that Chucklefish are pretty tiny, and are also working on developing their own game(s), in addition to handling publishing for other titles.

e: vvvv what the gently caress Al

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 2, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also a reminder that Chucklefucks is a funny word. Sorry Chucklefish, I enjoy your work but I gotta call you this on social media and say you are lazy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kirios posted:

I agree. Specter isn't bad, per say. It's still fun, but to me it's easily the weakest of the three.

I thought shovel and specter were pretty close but easily enjoyed plague the most.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hated plague. Didn't think the control gimmick was fun at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hated plague. Didn't think the control gimmick was fun at all.

the objective fact is that the only reason you feel this way is because you were bad at it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I %100ed it, all feats

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
One could absolutely get used to Plague's control schema, it still wasn't fun

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Dizz posted:

So there was a recent blog post on the Stardew Valley blog that details a lot of what went into (and is going into) multiplayer.

TLDR: A lot of the work up til recently has been bypassing technical hurdles.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
wow pretty glad i didnt break down and buy poor mans stardew

my faith has been rewarded

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's poor man's Stardew? Harvest Moon?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Golf Story, apparently.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you think about it everything is a poor man's Super Mario Brothers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

My wife's birthday is today and she turned on the Wii U to play Zelda, and it reminded me that Nintendo killed off Miiverse and the Switch will never have anonymous avatars clap for you and throw confetti on your birthday and it made me a little sad. :(

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm still bummed that physical games don't come with paper manuals, and that Switch games don't even come with the digital manuals that all 3DS games have. It just seems silly to hold onto Switch game cases that have nothing more than tiny ROM cards in them. I guess some of the art is cool, but it's not really redeeming.

It's not the case with all physical games but it seems like brick-and-mortar stores are doing a lot to incentivize me to shop from them instead of Amazon for my physical Switch games:
  • Mario Kart had a Rubik's Cube (Target)
  • Mario XCom had a DLC weapon pack I'll never cache in at Best Buy (it was a gift) and I think a little pop gun a Target.
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris came with two cool keychains and some stickers.
  • Binding of Isaac came with a small instruction manual and some stickers.
  • Cave Story came with a top notch instruction manual / art book / cheat sheet (still tiny but very satisfying), one of three keychains that were less dapper than Puyo Tetris', and a mini-disc soundtrack.
There may have been more pre-order/pack-in/instruction manual releases that I'm forgetting but the tradition hasn't been abandoned completely.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I don't buy physical often but I'd rather save $12 than get a $2 keychain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What's poor man's Stardew? Harvest Moon?

Don't you know all 2d pixel top down games are literally the exact same thing??

Golf story is basically nuclear throne

Ugh I want NT on switch

• Locked thread