Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Funny, most of the ships I've been on had Sperry radars... including the ones built in Japan.

I mean it depends on the ship/age/class but when I said Furuno I suppose I should have been more general and meant a commercial nav radar. As far as I know (and I'm not much of a Nav guy) the Furuno and Sperry s and x band radars are pretty similar no? I always associated Sperry with VMS/IBS systems and Furuno with actual Nav radars but that could be my ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also wanna make the point that in a ~war scenario~ Anything you're picking up coming toward you using an X band is a small boat (which probably needs to be blown up I guess, don't do 40knots with a 0cpa) Surface search radars don't have any use against real threats posed by enemy surface combatants at expected engagement ranges. Every weapon we care about is pretty much an OTH antiship missile. (Not breaking any NDAs here, theyve said this in plenty of public disclosures)

Hence, navy ships have Sperrys for navigation alone and dont give a gently caress about radiating during non-operations.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Funny, most of the ships I've been on had Sperry radars... including the ones built in Japan.

Edit: beaten

Also from probably the only solidly useful navy school I attended that was 100% dedicated to driving a ship at sea, the guy interpreting the colregs to say that "if you weren't using radar and you got in a collision then you're at fault for not using radar" is correct.

Yes the military has special needs to be sneaky but is not exempt from colregs, and I don't think sagami wan or sea and anchor detail (the circumstances of these collisions) are relevant scenarios to being sneaky.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Radars had nothing to do with the crashes. Afaik fitz crew wasn't paying attention and the mccain one was equipment failure.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

All I'm saying is if the engineers ran ships you'd never have a crash

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Two Finger posted:

Cause you'd never be able to leave port.

"Something's wrong with the mooring lines, I keep heaving but they're not coming in!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah but the ships would burn no fuel at all

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FrozenVent posted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Would sail under Kane

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

Every skipper of a Sub has been an Engineer at some point. So thats not quite a true statement.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

Every skipper of a Sub has been an Engineer at some point. So thats not quite a true statement.

We didn't have a "crash". That Japanese fishing boat was just spying in the wrong place when we did an emergency surfacing from depth.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

ded posted:

Not always. Either the CO or XO had to have been an Eng for their DH tour, not just the CO or else Weps and Nav would never even bother to screen for XO.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

We didn't have a "crash". That Japanese fishing boat was just spying in the wrong place when we did an emergency surfacing from depth.

So then what do you call it when a nuclear sub hits an undersea mountain at high speed? Kinetic subsurface cartography?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hull testing

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
One ping only.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Hull testing

She preformed really well under the circumstances to be honest.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Null Integer posted:

She preformed really well under the circumstances to be honest.

I can't remember if it was just an unsubstantiated rumor that the CO said that he had guys in the dome during field day 2 hours earlier. That idea gives me shivers, would have lost the whole ship.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

I can't remember if it was just an unsubstantiated rumor that the CO said that he had guys in the dome during field day 2 hours earlier. That idea gives me shivers, would have lost the whole ship.

What is this referring to?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

What is this referring to?

The San Francisco colliding with an underwater mountain at flank. I've heard the story multiple times that while only the one guy who was smoking died, but that hours before they had the sonar dome open for cleaning on field day, which would have doomed the entire ship.

For Two Finger et al:

Sonar dome is at the very front, and is a dry space with all the sonar electronics, theres a crawl way through the ballast tanks with a thick watertight door on the main pressure hull. The sonar dome itself isn't particularly structural and when the San fran hit the mountain it crumpled in like a soda can. The pressure hull, being thick steel, was fine, but had that watertight door been open the front of the ship would have quickly flooded and doomed the ship.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Training Air Wing ONE Confirms T-45 Mishap in Tennessee

quote:

MERIDIAN, Miss. (NNS) -- At approximately 9:40 a.m. Oct. 2, Training Air Wing ONE, based at Naval Air Station (NAS) Meridian, Miss., confirmed the T-45 belonging to Training Squadron SEVEN (VT-7) that went missing yesterday afternoon has crashed in East Tennessee.

Two pilots were aboard the aircraft, an instructor and a student. The pilots did not survive the incident. Names of the pilots are being withheld until 24 hours after next of kin notification.

An investigation will commence to determine the cause of the mishap.

Training Air Wing ONE is one of five training wings that belong to CNATRA.

For information updates, contact the CNATRA Command Public Affairs Office.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

The San Francisco colliding with an underwater mountain at flank. I've heard the story multiple times that while only the one guy who was smoking died, but that hours before they had the sonar dome open for cleaning on field day, which would have doomed the entire ship.

For Two Finger et al:

Sonar dome is at the very front, and is a dry space with all the sonar electronics, theres a crawl way through the ballast tanks with a thick watertight door on the main pressure hull. The sonar dome itself isn't particularly structural and when the San fran hit the mountain it crumpled in like a soda can. The pressure hull, being thick steel, was fine, but had that watertight door been open the front of the ship would have quickly flooded and doomed the ship.

Is driving the boat at flank while having a critical WT door open something that happens often would you say?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is driving the boat at flank while having a critical WT door open something that happens often would you say?

lol no prior to that opening that door outside of port was frown upon but allowed. Now its only ever opened at sea for emergency fixes

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Just loving lol at the sonar dome being opened at sea for a loving field day.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Still, that may be an urban legend that I heard over and over with no official corroboration

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

M_Gargantua posted:

Still, that may be an urban legend that I heard over and over with no official corroboration

Yeah, for it to be true you'd have to have a command triad more concerned with sweeping and high dust than basic safety and mission accomplishment.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, for it to be true you'd have to have a command triad more concerned with sweeping and high dust than basic safety and mission accomplishment.

I cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lmao I can't tell if this is sarcasm or what because my experience was field day takes precedence over virtually everything

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't count the times I've been under the shaft for field day at sea. :chiefsay:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Its way too plausible to be considered sarcasm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm leaving Auckland today and crossing the pacific so

Dear USN
please don't crash into us

Tia

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Two Finger posted:

I'm leaving Auckland today and crossing the pacific so

Dear USN
please don't crash into us

Tia

Way to jinx it genius

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Somewhere a monkeys paw curls, and a russian warship, with drunk/asleep crew behind the wheel, turns south.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

M_Gargantua posted:

Way to jinx it genius

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

M_Gargantua posted:

Somewhere a monkeys paw curls, and USCG cutter inexplicably heads west into the open Pacific.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well poo poo.... about to start my new civilian job at the shipyards next Monday and just found out I got my AT on the 29th for Pearl Harbor.

Was really hoping for RIMPAC this year. Maybe still get some ADT...

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

M_Gargantua posted:

The sonar dome was open during field day while the ship was at periscope depth but the ship rigged for high speed operations before going deep and fast

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Null Integer posted:

Not always. Either the CO or XO had to have been an Eng for their DH tour, not just the CO or else Weps and Nav would never even bother to screen for XO.

Well ya true, but all of them have been a JO in the engine room at a bare minimum.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

For Two Finger et al:

I would have thought the dome would be flooded by necessity. When someone said the dome was open for repair, I naively pictured someone with dive gear cleaning gunk off hydrophones.

The implications of an open portal to an unhardened area while underwater :stonk:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

I would have thought the dome would be flooded by necessity. When someone said the dome was open for repair, I naively pictured someone with dive gear cleaning gunk off hydrophones.

The implications of an open portal to an unhardened area while underwater :stonk:

Well the dome is part of the forward ballast tank. The transducers all face outward into the flooded part. But the electronics still need to be in a dry space that people can get to for installation and maintenance. As for unhardened, that's a bit of a misnomer. It's rated the same as anywhere else for depth, but slamming into a mountain at flank isn't quite the same as withstanding a shitton of fairly uniform pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Potato Salad posted:

The cool thing about the sonar dome being like this is that the sonar techs get to store poo poo there (with CO approval) on westpac.