Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i would also have sex with egg coulter for the bragging rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
King definitely has a problem with endings, but people are wrong when they say he's never had a good one. Don't forget about Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Amazing ending (both the novella and the film), although maybe its telling that its also one of his least "horror" stories. It was originally in his Different Seasons collection along with Apt Pupil and The Body (which was filmed as Stand By Me).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've always been fond of Eyes of the Dragon too

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
IT and the Dead Zone had great endings

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

facebook jihad posted:

IT and the Dead Zone had great endings

Dead Zone was alright, but the Bardock movies were way better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Danaru posted:

Dead Zone was alright, but the Bardock movies were way better.

There was only one Bardock movie. :colbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

got any sevens posted:

:hfive:

glad I'm not the only one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

got any sevens posted:

Same. I originally read it when I was pretty young as one of my first King books (after Desperation and The Regulators). I went back and read it again and like it even more than I did back then. It's also kind of cool to see Walter/Flagg in a completely different world/situation.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Maybe it'd help if you talked about it more like an addiction? That seems to fit the definition pretty well.

Unfortunately, that generally leads to idiots kramering in at light-speed to declare that there's no such thing as food addiction, you're just a lazy slob with no willpower.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Humans can be addicted to literally anything because dopamine is a hell of a drug.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Humans can be addicted to literally anything because dopamine is a hell of a drug.

I think the issue is that a lot of people use the word addiction wrong most of the time which makes people more skeptical when you say you are addicted to something that isn't either alcohol or hard drugs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I've financially ruined myself over the past couple weeks and it's all my fault. A couple years ago I got the job I have now and I wanted to impress my parents so I told them I am making about 4 times as much as I actually do. I actually make about 29000 a year with a PhD but I told my parents I make 110k. Earlier this month I went back to visit for my sister's wedding. I felt obligated to rack up my credit card debt to get a gift consistent with my salary, and also treat them all to a lot of fancy dinners and just gifts in general.

I'm like 40000 dollars in debt on my cards (I was about 25k before this trip) and I can't pay them off fast enough to keep up with the interest. I am hosed. My biggest fear is that my family and friends will find out that I'm kind of a failure. Every day I pray I just suffer a freak accident and die so I don't have to deal with the disappointment when I inevitably have to tell them I'm about to be bankrupt.

yikes

15 grand, what, did you pay for the wedding?

Well, if it's any consolation, you were already $25k in debt before this even happened (student loans?) so this isn't really that huge of a swing. Just live within your means, try to get a higher-paying job as soon as you can, and pay it off slowly. Tons of people are in this same boat.

quote:

I just gave 50 dollars to a kickstarter movie that everyone in the chat of one of the producer's twitch stream knows (including the producer) will be test audienced on (name preemptly removed due to :filez:). I did the 50 dollars just to say when the movie becomes a VOD hit "I'm friends with the film producer who got praised by vin Disel in a video contest before Machinima hosed things up and he lost his mind".

I really can't call this an irresponsible spending decision after the first confession

This one also came with a crossover Rick & Morty / The Simpsons meme image that was completely unrelated to the confession

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think the issue is that a lot of people use the word addiction wrong most of the time which makes people more skeptical when you say you are addicted to something that isn't either alcohol or hard drugs.

See what I mean?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
holy poo poo i know what that guys talking about. Bro Team, a streamer, is partnering with some friends to make a short film and put his film school degree to use. he put up a kickstarter to raise some money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loosely recall a somewhat confusing expose on the Machinima channel basically loving around and ultimately chasing off all its talent, like Freeman's Mind.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

runupon cracker posted:

See what I mean?

To be clear I'm not saying there aren't real addictions to things other than those things, just that people in general are too loose with the term addiction when they really mean compulsion or something like that. Like people will say they are totally addicted to watching TV but can function entirely normally if you take it away from them for a week. It's kind of like when people say they are gluten intolerant. There are so many people who claim they are when they don't even know what gluten is and are trying to fit in with a fad that the people with the actual problem get viewed the same as the fakers.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

To be clear I'm not saying there aren't real addictions to things other than those things, just that people in general are too loose with the term addiction when they really mean compulsion or something like that. Like people will say they are totally addicted to watching TV but can function entirely normally if you take it away from them for a week. It's kind of like when people say they are gluten intolerant. There are so many people who claim they are when they don't even know what gluten is and are trying to fit in with a fad that the people with the actual problem get viewed the same as the fakers.

Well there was a genetically modified wheat seed bank that the government forced subsidized farms to plant that posed a significant health risk to the general public, and instead of recalling the crop they suddenly invented an allergy that nobody had for the last 10,000 years but now people suddenly are allergic to gluten. See it’s not that the government was responsible for gross negligence that could have resulted in the death of millions, it’s not that the gmo wheat was killing people, it’s just that genetically inferior people are too pussy to take it. :shrug:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 1, 2017

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

loquacius posted:

yikes

If you don't mind filtering out the minor religious nonsense and occasional Bible verse, Dave Ramsey is an amazing dude with great classes on personal finance, and I've had friends/family/mutual friends get rid of $30k+ debt in just 2-3 years. I'd recommend buying a book or DVD instead of a class, since they are usually at churches and kinda expensive.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

yikes

My advice to you is to come clean to your parents. It's one thing to lie about your salary, it's another to go to Such Great Lengths to prove it. Sounds like there's some more deep-seated issues there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

blarzgh posted:

My advice to you is to come clean to your parents. It's one thing to lie about your salary, it's another to go to Such Great Lengths to prove it. Sounds like there's some more deep-seated issues there.

I can't imagine them reacting any other way besides "why the gently caress would you lie about that? are you retarded?". Considering the current state of things they are probably happy you even have a job in the first place regardless of what it pays.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

I can't imagine them reacting any other way besides "why the gently caress would you lie about that? are you retarded?". Considering the current state of things they are probably happy you even have a job in the first place regardless of what it pays.

Yeah, he hosed up. He needs to own it. loving up is embarrassing; we experience that emotion to condition us not to make the same mistakes again.

The money is not a big deal, people handle worse all the time. In If he's in that deep, his life and social network have some real damage that he can't file bankruptcy on to fix.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Get thee to debtors/gamblers anonymous

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Well there was a genetically modified wheat seed bank that the government forced subsidized farms to plant that posed a significant health risk to the general public, and instead of recalling the crop they suddenly invented an allergy that nobody had for the last 10,000 years but now people suddenly are allergic to gluten. See it’s not that the government was responsible for gross negligence that could have resulted in the death of millions, it’s not that the gmo wheat was killing people, it’s just that genetically inferior people are too pussy to take it. :shrug:
Did you mean to post this anonymously along with a rant about contrails/fluoride, or are there some references on this I could check out? I'm asking because I've never been exposed to this particular conspiracy theory, and up until now I thought the conventional wisdom was there were three kinds of people: people who suffer from Celiac disease, people who don't give a poo poo about gluten, and people who are "allergic" to gluten but it only affects them if they know it's there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Celiac had been around a long time. People worrying about gluten will only be around until the next cool thing to not be able to eat comes along.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also, the only GM crops are corn, soybean, cotton, canola, sugarbeet, alfalfa, papaya, and squash. Nobody has ever consumed GM wheat.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 1, 2017

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
From a few pages back, but:

No ring.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I want to bring back the following items of mens clothing to wear in school public and work: Tunics, casual robes, hoods with liripipes, cloaks and halfcloaks. I want every day to look like some low budget made for VHS D&D pastiche where I can wander around in something goddamn comfortably flowing and not have to worry about maybe getting fired from my job for wearing a pathetically uncomfortable button down shirt that is too cold in winter and too hot in summer and too tight everywhere, and wrapping some kind of useless bullshit scrap of patterned polyester around my neck instead of a practical and stylish liripipe, or god drat modern suit coats becaus god forbid you'd want the flexibility to raise your arms above your shoulders without straining against your own wool/poly blend shitcoat from TJ Max that you only bought because some rear end in a top hat at work made a rule. The only modern clothing item I want to wear is cargo pants and pants with pockets, and then the assholes that make up this stuff at work say no cargo pants allowed! Only bullshit pants! Oh yeah of course the one modern clothing item that is comfortable and practical is also the one thing they ban. Jesus gently caress. Also I am going to wear my leather bracers to work and if anyone gives me crap about that I'm going to point out that some of the ladies get to dangle like 5 pounds of gaudy nickel plated metal bracelets from their forearms and that doesn't even give protection against dangerous office things like being stapled accidentally.

I'm not really sure how you can start from "pants are uncomfortable and shirts are too tight" and end up at "I demand the right to wear leather bracers"

Anyway utilikilts are super neckbeardy but if you're wearing leather bracers around you probably don't mind that so utilikilt it up

quote:

In response to the sexually aroused It goon, I took an ex girlfriend to see this film two weeks ago and she got so aroused during the haunted house scene that she stuck my hand down her pants and I got her off.

I had my hand there for fifteen minutes and my fingers were wrinkled because of the wet. Nothing in this film particularly turned me on though.

time for some Scooby-Doo roleplay if you ask me

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Why would you want to wear cargo pants? Nobody actually needs that many pockets. If you feel like you do, wear a backpack or something.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Either first confession reads too much Harry Potter or needs to heed his calling to become a Victorian era reinactor.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Wardrobe guy please seek therapy

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Why would you want to wear cargo pants? Nobody actually needs that many pockets. If you feel like you do, wear a backpack or something.

When I have to be up on ladders or man-lifts for work having extra pockets is a extremely useful.

I still don't own any cargo pants.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like wardrobe Goon needs to stop being such a nerd but that's just me.

It Goon with girlfriend. I know someone who gets turned on by that kind of stuff. Not really involving kids but just horror fetish stuff. That one at least is a little bit more normal than previous 'Bev turns me on' Goon

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I always crush my big league chew in my back pocket, and it’s not as cool as shredded bubble gum then. Plus I don’t want to put a bunch of wet stuff in my hip pockets. :shrug:

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Cargopants goon - just move to nyc and start dropping a ton of money on Rick or ACRNM. It's socially acceptable (cool even) to wear cargopants or dress like a d & d character there, you just have to spend a bunch of money on it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

Either first confession reads too much Harry Potter or needs to heed his calling to become a Victorian era reinactor.
Dude wants to cosplay as Link at work.

I like carpenter jeans because I have to carry two phones (sometimes three) because of work and those little extra side pockets are perfect for that. But gently caress cargo pants.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What's the haunted house scene in It?

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I remember buying cargo pants for a summer job at a nursery (horticulture - not children related) on the recommendation of another employee. They were quite durabale and had better movement than jeans (plus cheap). The extra pockets were great for carrying labels, ties, small packets, and tools. I pretty much trashed them during that summer and threw them out at the end. Cue next summer; I get a job at the same place and go to buy another paid only this time they had become fashionable and the prices had gone up proportionally. I still bought a pair but felt a lot of resentment towards their recent popularity.

Anyway - my point is that they have their uses but I can't understand wearing them if you aren't working in manual labour.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm super tired this morning but here is a long fesh and a short fesh

quote:

This is a long story. I always had a crush on my cousin when we were teenagers. She acted like I didn't exist but she was classically beautiful and a kind person to boot. Unfortunately she was something of a screw up: she had a string of loser boyfriends, had difficulties keeping a job, and didn't seem very ambitious. She was destined to be the wife of some loser who would treat her poorly, cheat on her, etc. That's what I told myself.

I wanted to see if I could pursue a romantic relationship with her. I couldn't just say, "Hey, I'm your cousin, let's go date." I lived a couple of hours away from her so I got an apartment at the city she lived in. I started working out religiously, changing my haircut, and growing some facial hair. I also stalked her Facebook to find out what she liked and where she liked to hang out so I could "bump" into her. I didn't want to change my name, which was pretty generic sounding anyway, and she didn't know I existed so it was unlikely she'd figure me out as my cousin. After a few months or so, I was able to see her and tried to make my move. We agreed to go out.

We hit it off. It was everything I had fantasized about. Things were starting to get serious and I started feeling guilty. I didn't want to confess that I knew we were related and I spent the better part of a year changing myself so I can be with her. So I decided to frame it like I was surprised to find out kind of thing. It wasn't going to be easy and I assumed going in that I was going to leave single. Long story short, she freaked out and wanted time alone to think about it. I was optimistic because hey, she didn't break up with me then and there, right?

Days turned into weeks. I saw she unfriended me on Facebook but she had most of her stuff for public so I saw that she quickly started dating some other guy. He turned out to be a POS alcoholic who threatened to kill her just a few weeks into the relationship. I had decided to move on too: I declined to renew my second apartment and started hooking up with girls in my area. Months later I got a text from her saying that she needed to talk to me. She admitted that she loved me and that even though it was weird, she wanted to get back together. I told her that I no longer lived in the city she lived and said it wasn't a problem. The next morning, she packed up everything and moved in with me.

I wanted to find a diplomatic way to tell our families that we were dating. She went right out with it and it caused the shitstorm that I knew it would turn out to be. My parents instantly disowned me and her parents drove out to my place to try to pick her up and take her to their home. She angrily resisted and said that she loved me and that it was going to work out. They tried several more times to change her mind. They still talked to each other on occasion.

From that point on, the relationship went pretty smoothly. We were saving up for a house. She went to university and applied herself to where she got a double major and a good job. She wound up having two of my children and we talked about getting married. It was a perfect life.

Sadly she was having an affair with her supervisor on work trips that really weren't work trips while I was watching the kids. Things went downhill so suddenly that I could hardly keep track of it all. She abandoned the kids so she could run off with her supervisor. It was very hard for me to deal with but I got over it because I wanted my two kids to have a normal life. She practically disappeared with no contact made to me or our children for months. I have full custody of the two kids and never saw a dime from her in terms of child support.

The reason why I posted the confession is that last week, she committed suicide. She quickly dumped her supervisor and became addicted to heroin. Towards the end of her life, she became a prostitute, doing whatever she needed to do to score that next high. I admit that I bawled my eyes out when I heard the news. It was a sad enough event to where I was able to finally reconcile with my immediate and extended family, who previously wanted nothing to do with me. We decided that we would tell others that I graciously volunteered to step up and raise my cousin's two very young children as my own. Any mention of the relationship is verboten. The last several years no longer exists. I agreed to it if only to get all of my family back. I'm writing this confession so that way there is some way to say that I loved and had children with my cousin, sick as that sounds. I'll never love another woman like her again and will just focus on my career and my children.

quote:

I'm the one who sent in the confession about lying about my income and being in a lot of debt. I just wanted to respond to a couple of loquacius's questions. The original 25k debt is almost entirely from online poker when I used to be able to load my account with credit cards. It was originally closer to 35k but I've been paying it down slowly when I had a better paying job, but now like I said I can't keep up with the interest.

The 15k I spent on the wedding was spread out over a lot of things. I spent about 2k on a new suit that I'll probably never wear again, 3k on their gifts, I "loaned" them about 8000 by paying for some remaining wedding costs, and the rest was on food, alcohol, and hotels.

Anyway it may not sound like a big change but it feels like it to me. I already have to pay for groceries a lot on my credit card once I run out of paycheck money, so it's going to quickly start snowballing.

I have never worn a suit worth more than $400 in total, if that

I don't think I knew your previous job actually paid more than this one. Why did you agree to take this job in the first place?

At any rate if half that money actually was to pick up some wedding costs because the rest of your family couldn't do it themselves, that kind of rules out the idea that you could ask them for help. I'd say it's probably about time to try to get your old job back, or something like it. Even if the new one is more fulfilling, which I don't imagine it is, the time to take a big pay cut isn't when you're 40 grand in debt. It is possible for you to get a higher-paying job, because you've had one before, and you need it, so start updating your resume.

And, y'know, obviously try to keep your spending under control

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 3, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Debt goon, I think it's time to turn to a life of crime. Every monetary decision you've made is wrong. Worst case scenario with a life of crime is a free roof over your head and free meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Deliverance goon: how did your cousin not know who you were?