Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

In an alternate universe, AtGames manufactured the SNES Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sir Tonk posted:

If you're having one shipped, UPS will pack it for like $75 I think. That's one way to make sure it's done correctly and if it gets hosed up it's easier to get money out of them than some random person on ebay assuming it's insured.

Those prices are really low, if we're talking ebay. I've been looking for PVM2030, PVM20L5, and BVM20whatever models constantly and nothing comes up for under like $400 plus shipping these days.

Also don't forget that these were thousands of dollars when new so even at $500 you're getting a hell of a deal. Especially on the BVM side.

I definitely wasn't talking eBay up until the shipping part. Craigslist or recycling shop deals can be had with a bit of legwork.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Sir Tonk posted:

They quoted me like $150 to pack, insure, and ship from Denver to Houston.

I was trying to get a guy selling a PVM local only to ship it instead, but he ended up being too lazy to bother I guess.

That's pretty nice, all things considered!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Basically, don't buy a PVM unless you're seriously fascinated by old rear end AV stuff, or are crazy and on some kind of medication that makes you do irrational things.

you uh, sure there's no middle ground here?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I have said it before in this thread but honestly I think a cheap consumer Trinitron TV with component and svideo inputs combined some decent cables will get you 90% of the way to a PVM for a fraction of the price.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Or just buy a regular TV like a person who doesn't have brain problems

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

i need scanlines on my old games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Improbable Lobster posted:

What thread do you think you're in, mate

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PVM's are a finite resource that is getting more scarce by the day. I get that this thread is not the place to talk about what makes financial sense, but it seems more reasonable to spend the money getting old consoles to look good on modern tv's

At least that's what I tell myself because I know my wife would never allow a PVM in the house, especially not at PVM bubble prices :10bux:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
granted you can simulate reasonable looking scanlines with emulators nowadays

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

rdbbb posted:

you uh, sure there's no middle ground here?

Yep, 110% sure.

But hyperbolic statements aside, I do stand by the view that getting a PVM is kind of a major financial commitment these days, and it's not something that people should just enter into lightly on a whim. Especially as prices have increased since the people who deal in them have cottoned on to the fact that they're still good for something in a niche market, and are now "valuable".

And keep in mind that I say this as someone who has five CRTs (one 19", one ~16", two ~9" units with RGB, and one 9" with composite and S-Video) that I managed to pick up at good prices (really good, in retrospect) some years back. Today? I'd probably be looking at other alternatives first, before trying to answer the question of whether or not I want to drop $200 or more on a CRT display, and that's without saying anything of the extra incidental costs that would be associated with doing so.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Holy poo poo that's not even close! It sounds like they used the Genesis ROM by accident! How does not every soundtrack sound completely different?? :psyduck:
The chiptune tone to it makes it seem like they ripped it from the PC Engine version of SFII...except that the PC Engine version doesn't quite sound like that either.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The only reason I sort of want a PVM or BVM or whatever is for 480p on a CRT.

My curiosity as to how that looks isn't $800+ strong at the moment. My Trinitron has some issues, admittedly, but it produces a fairly clean image at most times so I'm pretty pleased with it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mycophobia posted:

granted you can simulate reasonable looking scanlines with emulators nowadays

CRT shaders really start to shine with a 4K display, and 4K TVs are pretty cheap now. Why settle for CRT sizes that actually existed when you can simulate a giant one? :haw:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

repiv posted:

CRT shaders really start to shine with a 4K display, and 4K TVs are pretty cheap now. Why settle for CRT sizes that actually existed when you can simulate a giant one? :haw:

It helps me stay warm in the winter times.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

repiv posted:

the eventual availability of high refresh rate 4k monitors with gsync/freesync ease my anxiety that working CRT monitors are eventually going to become really hard to find at a good price

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

dishwasherlove posted:

I have said it before in this thread but honestly I think a cheap consumer Trinitron TV with component and svideo inputs combined some decent cables will get you 90% of the way to a PVM for a fraction of the price.

What if you want your tv to be cube-shaped

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It helps me stay warm in the winter times.

Have you considered a Xbox?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

kirbysuperstar posted:

How man hibatchis do you think can fit in one?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't get around to buying Scart cables to use with my OSSC yet. Is there a good US supplier or should i just use Retro Gaming Cables?

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Today? I'd probably be looking at other alternatives first, before trying to answer the question of whether or not I want to drop $200 or more on a CRT display, and that's without saying anything of the extra incidental costs that would be associated with doing so.

I totally agree. I love my 20" PVM but I got it locally for cheap. If my monitor broke today and had to pay $300-400 for one and risk shipping it I'd pass and just get an OSSC and a nice PC monitor.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't get around to buying Scart cables to use with my OSSC yet. Is there a good US supplier or should i just use Retro Gaming Cables?

https://retro-access.com/

I bought all my cables from her and I've been very pleased.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sorry I don't play consoles that won't fit in my apartment. Also there is literally nothing I want to play on an Xbox.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sorry I don't play consoles that won't fit in my apartment. Also there is literally nothing I want to play on an Xbox.

cough Jet Set Radio Future cough Panzer Dragoon Orta cough Breakdown cough Ninja Gaiden Black cough MechAssault cough Crimson Skies cough Otogi 2 cough

(the Buffy the Vampire Slayer brawler is also Pretty Good but that game actually runs better on a 360 for whatever reason)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'd joke more but back when PSP CFW was new I set the CPU to 333MHz, put it at max brightness and turned wifi on to help warm my hands in class one morning.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

cough Jet Set Radio Future cough Panzer Dragoon Orta cough Breakdown cough Ninja Gaiden Black cough MechAssault cough Crimson Skies cough Otogi 2 cough

(the Buffy the Vampire Slayer brawler is also Pretty Good but that game actually runs better on a 360 for whatever reason)

OutRun 2. And probably OutRun 2006 but I've never played it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

2006 is even better. Sumo make drat good driving games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Those are games you want to play. Not me. I have absolutely no desire to play any game on the Xbox.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I actually thought that about the Xbox but then I bought one and iIve ended up getting like half the library because there's a bunch of pretty fun games and they're all dirt cheap because no one else wants them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

With pvms being a thing that are extremely annoying and expensive to get ahold of and my pretty good crt tv being a thing that will eventually die, and that thing that makes old consoles work on new tvs being like a zillion dollars and about to not be made anymore...am I just basically doomed in the long run?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I plug all of my consoles into my 1080p HDTV directly via composite and it looks Fine Enough, and if you're allergic to dot crawl and color artifacting you can get cheaper functional RGB-SCART upscalers pretty easily. Yes the considerably more expensive RGB setup with a PVM and the Framemeister/OSSC are higher quality, but you don't actually have to use them.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hows about a little XBox game called Jade Empire?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I wouldn't recommend paying an arm and a leg for a PVM. Set up craigslist saved searches for a PVM in your area so you get alerts if any are posted and wait for a deal. In the meantime, a 20"-27" Trinitron (or other decent brand AND model CRT) with composite+s-video+component will be plenty. As I said a few pages back, I sold my 14" PVM because I was just using my 27" Trinitron pretty much exclusively anyway (admittedly because sitting on the couch in front of a 27" was much more convenient that the setup around a 14", and the difference in picture didn't make the loss of comfort worth it).

Just get the highest output quality cable for your console and hook it up to that and you will be happy. Yes, you will have that itch for the RGB PVM, but if you really saw them side by side, you would realize your cheap/free tv and not having to mod your consoles (except the s-video on a SNES mini) is a much better value if you aren't a graphics snob. The picture is definitely better on a PVM, I am just saying for most people, dropping <$40 on a TV and $10/ea on cables is a much better value than $300 on a PVM, $30/ea on SCART and BNC cables, and sometimes $100+ on each console mod. That $100 vs $500+ is more than good enough for most.

That said, I still do have my PVM saved searches set up and if one pops up for a reasonable price (especially a 20" or bigger), I will grab it.

The guy I bought my previous PVM from said he had tried selling them for awhile at broadcast/photography club yard sales and classified but no one was biting. He had no idea about the retro game market. So there still are a number of them out there in someone's basement or garage who had no idea that anyone wants them. I just hope they make it into someone's hands and not a recycling center.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Also, there are some great Xbox games, however, most of the great ones are on Steam or GOG as well, and run much better. I prefer the console setup to sitting at my desk most of the time. However, the load times and graphics on Xbox games vs their PC ports just doesn't make it worth it (especially games like Morrowind, KOTOR 1&2, and Jade Empire).

Some games aren't on PC though or PS2/GC, so its worth having an Xbox around.: Stubbs the Zombie, Halo 2 (if you don't have it on XB1), etc.

If I had to get rid of a console, the Xbox would be my first to go, followed by the 360.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Stubbs was on PC though. Voodoo Vince is now as well, I think?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Oh poo poo, you are right.... so I really could offload my Xbox now, haha

Will wait until I need the space.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus has yet to be ported to anything, so don't ditch your Xbox just yet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

With pvms being a thing that are extremely annoying and expensive to get ahold of and my pretty good crt tv being a thing that will eventually die, and that thing that makes old consoles work on new tvs being like a zillion dollars and about to not be made anymore...am I just basically doomed in the long run?

CRTs rarely die. And if they do, it's usually capacitors you can replace on the chassis. Please make sure to google how to de-energize a CRT before doing this (you can literally die).

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's how it is in the snes Classic rom dump. You are being triggered by accuracy my friend.

Wait, so if you dump the Street Fighter 2 ROM from the SNES Classic and play it using an SD2SNES or Everdrive, it will actually sound like that on a real SNES?

repiv posted:

I hated filters my whole life but in Sonic Mania there is a filter where it's "CRT, no blur" and it looks absolutely amazing. I am not sure if it only works because the game was programmed for it, but if they ever got that filter working on an SNES emulator I would die a happy man. It looks absolutely awesome.

I would love to see what an SNES game looks like on a 4k OLED TV with the CRT shaders everyone is talking about

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait, so if you dump the Street Fighter 2 ROM from the SNES Classic and play it using an SD2SNES or Everdrive, it will actually sound like that on a real SNES?

Jim is referring to the capitalised "Go" in the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
As much as I kind of want a PVM after using one at Magfest, I already have three great-in-their-own-way CRTs at home; my 1702s are small and gorgeous and eye-searingly bright, my big Sanyo is amazing at destroying video quality, with dot crawl and blur and bad colors and I love it for that, and my 32" component-equipped Sharp looks phenomenal even over composite and has awesome scanlines

I really want to teach myself shader programming though, because while some CRT shaders are good, and emulate certain things I like... I dunno, it's never quite where I want it. Also I want Retroarch to be able to emit a loud pop and buzz/hiss of degaussing when I start a game up, and a low hum while I play. Emulate the experience, not just the game!

• Locked thread