Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I put a wet paper towel over food as my low effort steam reheat. Learned it from Cantonese roommates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I need help coming up with a gluten free and vegan dessert. Google turns up a whole bunch of paleo fakey bullshit and it feels like a herculean task to evaluate the recipes even without cooking.

Does anyone have anything to suggest besides not cooking for this friend?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sticky rice cooked in coconut milk, with mango on top.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

Does anyone have anything to suggest besides not cooking for this friend?

I had dinner with some vegan friends recently, and they made a sort of saffron rice custard desert which is gluten free. I can post the recipe if you like.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a vegan friend who swears that castagnaccio is amazing and good. I tried to make it once, and it was alright.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I'm going to make a bunch of deep fried chicken sandwiches and as usual have way too many thighs already in the brine. Is it possible to just fry all of them and freeze a bunch to reheat later? Or will they just be hockey pucks in soggy breaking reheated. I was planning on deep frying, stacking on parchment, shoving in freezer.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Jay Carney posted:

I'm going to make a bunch of deep fried chicken sandwiches and as usual have way too many thighs already in the brine. Is it possible to just fry all of them and freeze a bunch to reheat later? Or will they just be hockey pucks in soggy breaking reheated. I was planning on deep frying, stacking on parchment, shoving in freezer.

Sounds good, but they will lose a lot a lot crispness upon reheating unless you deep fry them again. Think about how Tyson frozen chicken tenders or whatever turn out in the oven and you'll have your answer.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 30, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You could try just par-frying them to just a light blond now, freeze them, then go straight from frozen into fryer to finish them off later.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Dumplings turned out pretty good!

Although I think I messed up freezing them. They developed cracks in the freezer. Any way to prevent this? After I formed them I just put them on a baking sheet with parchment paper while I made the rest. Should I have covered them with a wet towel while forming so they didn't dry out? Then maybe a spray of water as they went in, to keep moisture during freezing?

I bet they were kind of stressed on that side anyway, since I folded them over after the initial crimping.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Jay Carney posted:

If you repost this on Saturday when I am hopefully back home I can get it for you, I have every issue

Bless you and thank you good goon. I look forward to pecan goodness with your assistance.

Issue 6, Winter 2013, Pecan Pralinella.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Good uses for Nam Prik Pao besides Tom Yum and just mixing with rice?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have about 2.13 pounds of pork shoulder, and a bag of dry pink beans. Any ideas for using them with a pressure cooker? I somehow got the phrase "pork and beans" stuck in my mind, but I have no idea how to pull it off.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

slut chan posted:

Bless you and thank you good goon. I look forward to pecan goodness with your assistance.

Issue 6, Winter 2013, Pecan Pralinella.

I'm on my phone so this is the best I can do at the moment.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I have about 2.13 pounds of pork shoulder, and a bag of dry pink beans. Any ideas for using them with a pressure cooker? I somehow got the phrase "pork and beans" stuck in my mind, but I have no idea how to pull it off.

I guess there's 2 ways: 1) cook the pork, then cook the beans, then combine and simmer a bit more. 2) cook the pork under pressure for most of the cooking time, add the beans and enough water and cook for the bean cooking time

From my pressure cooker manual, it looks like the pork stewing cuts (it doesn't mention shoulder by name) take ~55min at pressure (with a slow release). Whereas beans take maybe 5 minutes, depending on the variety (7-10 for garbanzo, 2-4 for black). This is a old-school rocker model so the pressure is higher than an instant pot.

The second option may work good. In that scenario I'd think the beans could end up a little more porky as they absorb the flavors, and the bean broth will develop a little more. But you may run the risk of watering down the pork. Since you're cooking the beans for only ~10-20% of the cooking time for pork maybe it won't really affect it too much.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Good uses for Nam Prik Pao besides Tom Yum and just mixing with rice?

Spread it on toast.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eeyo posted:

I guess there's 2 ways: 1) cook the pork, then cook the beans, then combine and simmer a bit more. 2) cook the pork under pressure for most of the cooking time, add the beans and enough water and cook for the bean cooking time

From my pressure cooker manual, it looks like the pork stewing cuts (it doesn't mention shoulder by name) take ~55min at pressure (with a slow release). Whereas beans take maybe 5 minutes, depending on the variety (7-10 for garbanzo, 2-4 for black). This is a old-school rocker model so the pressure is higher than an instant pot.

The second option may work good. In that scenario I'd think the beans could end up a little more porky as they absorb the flavors, and the bean broth will develop a little more. But you may run the risk of watering down the pork. Since you're cooking the beans for only ~10-20% of the cooking time for pork maybe it won't really affect it too much.

What should I put in besides the pork and beans? I get that I should include some sauteed aromatics like garlic and onions, and maybe putting in some diced carrots, peppers, and bay leaves/thyme? Will I need some beef stock too, or can I just go with some water? I don't really know what pork shoulder is typically cooked with.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Hauki posted:

I'm on my phone so this is the best I can do at the moment.

That's perfect. Thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

What should I put in besides the pork and beans? I get that I should include some sauteed aromatics like garlic and onions, and maybe putting in some diced carrots, peppers, and bay leaves/thyme? Will I need some beef stock too, or can I just go with some water? I don't really know what pork shoulder is typically cooked with.

My general advice is whatever you like. I don't think stock is necessary; the pork should contribute and the beans will also contribute to the liquid. I'm not an expert on meat seasoning (vegetarian), so someone else should chime in.

But you can look to classic examples of pork 'n beans for inspiration. Cassoulet is pork 'n beans. So is red beans and rice.

Edit: I'm kind of winging it with my recommendations, what I described might turn out pretty horrible! But it's worth a shot.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 2, 2017

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This recipe for red beans and rice says to let the beans soak for "8 to 16 hours". That's quite a range. I've never soaked beans before. How will I know they are done?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

me your dad posted:

This recipe for red beans and rice says to let the beans soak for "8 to 16 hours". That's quite a range. I've never soaked beans before. How will I know they are done?

There's not a strict way. Just overnight is fine. You'll notice that they take on water and diminish what's in the bowl with them.

Alternatively, you can 'quick soak' by adding the beans and a tbls of salt. Add about 5 parts water per 1 part bean, bring to a boil, let boil for 5 mins. Remove from heat and cover, let sit for 1 hour. Then drain, rinse and proceed with your recipe.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I use a pizza dough recipe thats super simple and good, 2 cups farina flour, 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp each sugar salt yeast

I'm lazy and want to use the dough function on my bread maker to knead it for me, but it never turns out very well when I do it that way. Way too gummy, elastic and tough. it doesn't have that delightful spun air texture it has when I knead and rise it myself.

tips?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's like 100% hydration. I'm assuming you kneed a hell of a lot more flour into it when doing by hand.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

that's like 100% hydration. I'm assuming you kneed a hell of a lot more flour into it when doing by hand.

yeah. I do try and put some more flour than the 2 cups in the machine but it's hard to get it right, where when you're hand kneading you need to continually adjust until it feels right. I guess I'll keep experimenting until I get the exact right ratios. Thanks!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Weigh your dough before and after you start hand kneading, then add that much extra flour to the machine?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Weigh your dough before and after you start hand kneading, then add that much extra flour to the machine?

A scale would nearly avoid the issue entirely in the first place aside from the humidity.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A scale would nearly avoid the issue entirely in the first place aside from the humidity.

Well, yes, but I didn't wanna be that guy for his super simple volumetric recipe.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

yeah. I do try and put some more flour than the 2 cups in the machine but it's hard to get it right, where when you're hand kneading you need to continually adjust until it feels right. I guess I'll keep experimenting until I get the exact right ratios. Thanks!

Normally, hydration is like 65% or so, so it should be close to 3 cups of flour (375g) to 1 cup of water (250g).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
All bread benefits from a scale. On the other hand, I can throw together many different loaves just by feel, no measuring at all.

Bake a bread. Make it pizza if you want to, but just bake breads as often as possible.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I use a pizza dough recipe thats super simple and good, 2 cups farina flour, 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp each sugar salt yeast

I'm lazy and want to use the dough function on my bread maker to knead it for me, but it never turns out very well when I do it that way. Way too gummy, elastic and tough. it doesn't have that delightful spun air texture it has when I knead and rise it myself.

tips?

Are you actually getting your arms in there and kneading by hand? Cuz if so, don't bother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AzxeVsIZiA

Do this instead. The slap and fold is minimal effort and build gluten really well in high hydration doughs.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 3, 2017

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I've got a 1kg pork loin (not tenderloin) thawing in the fridge, and my Anova circulator arriving today/tomorrow. Any recommendations on how to cook it? No vacuum sealer yet, needs to work with ziploc and water displacement method.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The CSA I’m a part of has been dumping buckets of Serrano peppers (that are decently hot to me) in their baskets. I’ve been making various salsa/guacamole concoctions, but I’d like to try new things with peppers.

I’m not too excited about pickled peppers unless someone’s got a bodacious recipe they like, or a great use for pickled hot peppers.

I’ve got a few freezer bags frozen with peppers and about a pound of fresh.

What other things can I do with hot peppers, something that can keep for awhile or freeze (pesto? Spread?)?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
After many years it's time to get a new rice cooker, and boy is it harder to pick one than I thought. I've done some research, and there are a ton of choices.

I guess I have one main question: Is this induction heating thing a gimmick or actually worth the extra 100 dollars it tacks onto the price?

Anyone have general recommendations for a good 3-5 cup rice cooker?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I can get what look to be cold, pre fried flats of age tofu from ota tofu in Portland at a local store. I am at a bit of a loss as to how I should actually use it though. Do I refry it? Do I just cut it up and use it cold?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Megasabin posted:

After many years it's time to get a new rice cooker, and boy is it harder to pick one than I thought. I've done some research, and there are a ton of choices.

I guess I have one main question: Is this induction heating thing a gimmick or actually worth the extra 100 dollars it tacks onto the price?

Anyone have general recommendations for a good 3-5 cup rice cooker?

Induction heating will speed up cook times a lot, typically an induction model will cut 25%-50% off the cooking time depending on the type and amount of rice being cooked. Personally I regret not getting an induction model even though I got a really good deal of $75 for a $120 Zojirushi rice cooker.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I want to learn to cook more stuff and also save some money.

I'm looking for some cheap recipes that I'll be able to cook with stuff found in Chinese markets and shops (I live in China). No meat but seafood is okay. I don't have an oven and I only have a wok and a regular pan and two stoves. I could buy another pan if necessary. Cheese is unfortunately expensive here. Some ingredients that are common back home are harder to find here.

I can get my hands on some foreign stuff like various pastas, but they tend to be more expensive than rice or noodles. I'm guessing due to these limitations, cheap vegetarian Asian recipes are probably the easiest.

Most of the results I find online for cheap vegetarian meals contain cheeses or fancy ingredients that I can't seem to find here. I just need some simple stuff.

Thanks!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

HelloSailorSign posted:

The CSA I’m a part of has been dumping buckets of Serrano peppers (that are decently hot to me) in their baskets. I’ve been making various salsa/guacamole concoctions, but I’d like to try new things with peppers.

I’m not too excited about pickled peppers unless someone’s got a bodacious recipe they like, or a great use for pickled hot peppers.

I’ve got a few freezer bags frozen with peppers and about a pound of fresh.

What other things can I do with hot peppers, something that can keep for awhile or freeze (pesto? Spread?)?

Enter ICSA chili?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am making some consommé tonight with egg whites (because I want to, I like it as a technique more than the other ways of doing it), and I will have some leftover egg yolks. I'm going to be making some ice cream at some point, but I don't yet know when, can I freeze the yolks and just thaw them out in the fridge, or will they be changed in some way to prevent them making a proper custard?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

a7m2 posted:

I want to learn to cook more stuff and also save some money.

I'm looking for some cheap recipes that I'll be able to cook with stuff found in Chinese markets and shops (I live in China). No meat but seafood is okay. I don't have an oven and I only have a wok and a regular pan and two stoves. I could buy another pan if necessary. Cheese is unfortunately expensive here. Some ingredients that are common back home are harder to find here.

I can get my hands on some foreign stuff like various pastas, but they tend to be more expensive than rice or noodles. I'm guessing due to these limitations, cheap vegetarian Asian recipes are probably the easiest.

Most of the results I find online for cheap vegetarian meals contain cheeses or fancy ingredients that I can't seem to find here. I just need some simple stuff.

Thanks!
This website has good recipes. Some of my favorites are this, this, this, and this. I also can't recommend Dunlop's book Every Grain of Rice enough - it has tons of great recipes, like this one, which is maybe my favorite food.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Enter ICSA chili?

... there are chilis that use 30+ peppers? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There can be. Be the chili you believe in