Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

YggiDee posted:

Spirit mediums and psychics aside, I think the metaphysical power worth investigating is the one that makes all the puns in your name come true. Like do these parents pay no attention when naming their children or is this some kind of quick passage to fame? "Well, our little Gemma Stone is either going to die in an avalanche or start a diamond mine. Either way she'll be in newspapers".

Let me blow your mind. It's not just video games(probably)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

My favorite weird example of this is Anthony Mann, a judge of the High Court of England and Wales who, due to his title, is referred to as "The Honorable Mr Justice Mann".

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

ikanreed posted:

Counter-argument: all the papers cited in that article have an unavoidable selection bias in them. You have to pick the names that you think are appropriate, and which names you pick or omit will cause your results to vary significantly. E.g., the 2015 paper by Limb, Limb, Limb and Limb (all of whom are in the medical profession AND related to each other) has a table of the frequency of names showing up in medical practice that are related to the disease or body part that that particular doctor specializes in (e.g., a cardiologist named Hart, or an anaesthesiologist named Payne). But the names the paper's authors picked as being representative sometimes make sense (paediatricians named Young, or urologists named Dick), but sometimes the names were way too much of a reach (an orthopaedic surgeon named Carpenter, or a gastroenterologist named Salmon). And since they only gave examples rather than the full list of names they assigned to each category (and the frequency of each name), it's impossible to know, much less correct for, how much their overreach on naming may have biased their results in the direction they expected to find. E.g., of the 17 trauma surgeons with appropriate names, how many were named Carpenter? Was it just one, or was it 16, and the only orthopaedic surgeon with a truly appropriate name was Dr. Limb himself (one of the paper's authors)? I can't tell. But since the frequency of appropriate names that they quoted in their paper ranged all over the map (1 in 21 in neurology, 1 in 101 in general medicine, 1 in 886 in respiratory medicine, 1 in 990 in microbiology), I'd look at that data and conclude that the null hypothesis is by far the most likely explanation. I haven't looked at the other papers, but the selection bias inherent in deciding "this name fits, and this name doesn't" is unavoidable given the subject of these papers.

On the other hand, I do actually have personal knowledge of one case where someone's name did decide their career in medicine, but in a negative direction. I once had a physical exam done by a Dr. Payne. When I asked him about his name, he told me that while he was in medical school, he had considered being a dentist, but decided that his name would probably scare off too many patients so he went into general medicine instead. Although that was a case where his name pushed him *away* from a profession that would have been more appropriate, it does argue for the nominative determinism case a little, because it demonstrates that some people do consciously think about their name and make career choices accordingly. But it also demonstrates that that can work both ways, so the effects in both directions may possibly cancel each other out.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tax Refund posted:

Counter-argument: all the papers cited in that article have an unavoidable selection bias in them.

Yeah, that Wikipedia article doesn't cite the paper that convinced me, which found modestly strong correlations in the particular cases of teacher, lawyer, and doctor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There will be some mild delays this week caused by a combination of work changes and Heat Signature.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I love Mia's ghost has all these Psyche-Locks.

The entire rest of Phoenix's life, he'll know if people are being evasive or hiding things from him. Think about that.

"The price is low because it's used, Mr. Wright, but ths car used to belong to a nice old lady who only drove to and forth from the store. It's never had any issue, really!"

Chains cross, three locks appear

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 28, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Patter Song posted:

I love Mia's ghost has all these Psyche-Locks.

The entire rest of Phoenix's life, he'll know if people are beong evasive or hiding things from him. Think about that.

"The price is low because it's used, Mr. Wright, but ths car used to belong to a nice old lady who only drove to and forth from the store. It's never had any issue, really!"

Chains cross, three locks appear

Good thing Phoenix never gets his driver's license.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Tax Refund posted:

Counter-argument: all the papers cited in that article have an unavoidable selection bias in them. You have to pick the names that you think are appropriate, and which names you pick or omit will cause your results to vary significantly. E.g., the 2015 paper by Limb, Limb, Limb and Limb (all of whom are in the medical profession AND related to each other) has a table of the frequency of names showing up in medical practice that are related to the disease or body part that that particular doctor specializes in (e.g., a cardiologist named Hart, or an anaesthesiologist named Payne). But the names the paper's authors picked as being representative sometimes make sense (paediatricians named Young, or urologists named Dick), but sometimes the names were way too much of a reach (an orthopaedic surgeon named Carpenter, or a gastroenterologist named Salmon). And since they only gave examples rather than the full list of names they assigned to each category (and the frequency of each name), it's impossible to know, much less correct for, how much their overreach on naming may have biased their results in the direction they expected to find. E.g., of the 17 trauma surgeons with appropriate names, how many were named Carpenter? Was it just one, or was it 16, and the only orthopaedic surgeon with a truly appropriate name was Dr. Limb himself (one of the paper's authors)? I can't tell. But since the frequency of appropriate names that they quoted in their paper ranged all over the map (1 in 21 in neurology, 1 in 101 in general medicine, 1 in 886 in respiratory medicine, 1 in 990 in microbiology), I'd look at that data and conclude that the null hypothesis is by far the most likely explanation. I haven't looked at the other papers, but the selection bias inherent in deciding "this name fits, and this name doesn't" is unavoidable given the subject of these papers.

On the other hand, I do actually have personal knowledge of one case where someone's name did decide their career in medicine, but in a negative direction. I once had a physical exam done by a Dr. Payne. When I asked him about his name, he told me that while he was in medical school, he had considered being a dentist, but decided that his name would probably scare off too many patients so he went into general medicine instead. Although that was a case where his name pushed him *away* from a profession that would have been more appropriate, it does argue for the nominative determinism case a little, because it demonstrates that some people do consciously think about their name and make career choices accordingly. But it also demonstrates that that can work both ways, so the effects in both directions may possibly cancel each other out.

When I was a kid my dentist was actually a Dr. Payne, and his office was on Gore Street.

It was a constant source of amusement. When I bothered to think of it. Which was not that frequent.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mors Rattus posted:

There will be some mild delays this week caused by a combination of work changes and Heat Signature.

I will forgive you only if you post a video of a Heat Signature playthrough with a character named "Phoenix" who has "Capture the guy who murdered my partner" as his personal mission :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mikl posted:

I will forgive you only if you post a video of a Heat Signature playthrough with a character named "Phoenix" who has "Capture the guy who murdered my partner" as his personal mission :colbert:

I think there's a Wesley Snipes movie about this same premise.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think there's a Wesley Snipes movie about this same premise.

Demolition Man? But Phoenix is the villain and there's no partner killing (lots of hostage killing, but no dead partners iirc).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The really interesting implication of the Magatama is that, logically, no client Phoenix ever takes will ever be guilty. Some would think that this dilutes the whodunit aspect but as evidenced by AA1, everyone who takes the witness stand is a liar of epic proportions. If anything, the Magatama adds another layer to the complicated way you go about solving the cases.

It's some fun stuff!

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
I've always thought the magatama was a necessary addition to keep the investigation side of the game from becoming boring, once you started getting into multiple games in the series. As it was, investigation sections were pretty much a linear 'go here, look at thing, talk to person, repeat' tunnel, but with the addition of the psyche locks it let them add a little bit of the courtroom style action, and make things a little less linear with you hitting a stopping point with a certain witness and having to figure out how you could go back and break their locks.

It also let them add some fun story stuff like Phoenix realising Mia was hiding something from him too, so overall I always thought it and Pearl were this game's greatest additions to the series as a whole.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

LordNagash posted:

I've always thought the magatama was a necessary addition to keep the investigation side of the game from becoming boring, once you started getting into multiple games in the series. As it was, investigation sections were pretty much a linear 'go here, look at thing, talk to person, repeat' tunnel, but with the addition of the psyche locks it let them add a little bit of the courtroom style action, and make things a little less linear with you hitting a stopping point with a certain witness and having to figure out how you could go back and break their locks.

It also let them add some fun story stuff like Phoenix realising Mia was hiding something from him too, so overall I always thought it and Pearl were this game's greatest additions to the series as a whole.

The thing is, they already had something like that. Remember when Phoenix had to break Wendy Oldbag outside of the courtroom?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 2: Reunion, and Turnabout
Trial, Day 2 (Part 1)

: Prosecutor von Karma!? You mean...?
: No, I heard it's his successor this time...
: Successor...?
: ... Manfred von Karma. He was a really sinister man.
: He pulled all sorts of nasty tricks: all so he could win.

: (And now, his successor... I wonder what kind of person they will turn out to be...)

: Mystic Maya!!

: You showed up! Thanks for coming all this way!
: I was really worried about you...
: Hey, where's your mother? Didn't you two come together?
: Mother is watching over the trainees. She said they have training for two days straight with no breaks.
: Huh!? Then... Then... You came all by yourself?
: Yup! I snuck out of the manor and followed a map.
: Don't tell me you walked all the way here...
: Of course not!
: ...I ran!
: That's... I can't... Oh my... (If it takes two hours by train... Oh man...)
: Pearly... What about the train?
: Huh? What's a... "tray-in"?
: (I give up...)
: ...It's time, isn't it?
: Um... I'm really scared... What if Von Karma tries to do something to me?
: At least I know Mr. Edgeworth would be nicer to me than Von Karma!
: Mr. Eh-ji-werth? Who is that?
: Um, he's Nick's rival...
: Well, he's also a friend.

: Maya! Please don't mention that name ever again...
: Huh...? But why, Nick?
: I'm... I'm sorry, Maya. I forgot you don't know... He... He's... He's gone... And he's not coming back...

: W-W-Wait...
: Wait a second!!
: What's that supposed to mean!?

: ... Let's go. Now's not the time to talk about that anyway.
: N...Nick...?

: Court is now in session for the trial of Maya Fey.
: Are the prosecution and the defense prepared?

: ... (What is with this girl...?)
: ...
: *Ahem!* Mr. Wright!! Are you finally prepared!?
: Huh?
: A-Ah, yes, Your Honor. (Why does he always seem mad at me!?)
: Mr. Phoenix Wright.
: ...!
: You must be a little shocked because I am a woman, correct?
: (...Hold on. So this kid is the "famed" Prosecutor von Karma...?)
: I am Franziska von Karma, the Prodigy.
: I... see...
: I gave up a promising career in Germany and came to this country for one sole reason.

: Revenge...? (Is this about her father, Manfred von Karma...?)
: Um... If it's something of a personal nature, I'm sure you can...

: (Please speak with your mouth like a normal person... I beg of you...)

: Prepare to go down, Mr. Phoenix Wright!

: Prosecutor von Karma, your
: opening statement, please...
: Those of Von Karma blood have only one fate. And that is
: "perfection". The defendant, Maya Fey, will find no escape from her guilt on my watch.
: V-Very well...
: What is the defense's position?
: Your Honor.
: Does the defense wish to enter a plea of "not guilty"?
: ...Yes.
: Foolish fool who foolishly dreams of foolish dreams... Ten minutes. I give the defense ten minutes before it changes its plea.

: ("Justified self-defense"...)

: (We could very easily make a solid case that it was self-defense, but...)

: (Because to plead "justified self-defense" is to say you did kill someone.)

: If that's how you want to play it, Mr. Phoenix Wright, then I shall now call the first witness.
: (She's just as scary as her father. Like father, like daughter I suppose.)

: Witness, your name and occupation?
: Yes, sir! My name is Dick Gumshoe. I'm a detective at the local precinct.

: Explain to the court the details of this murder.
: Y-Yes, sir! Um, if everyone would please look at this map.

: What were they doing there?
: Um... They... Well, they were channeling... a spirit... Sir.
: Ch-Channeling a spirit??
: (The look of disbelief on the judge's face is...)
: *ahem*
: Anyway, a few minutes after the channeling started,

: Ah, and that's when they found that the victim was already dead, correct?

: Hmm, I believe this is one of the most open and shut cases I have ever presided over.

: So, how was the victim killed?
: I was about to get to that...
: Stop wasting my time, then.

: Hmm...
: So the victim was stabbed before being shot...

Also, Franziska's profile, while we're in here.

: The court accepts it into evidence. Mr. Wright, you may question the witness.

: The murder weapon, Detective Gumshoe. Whose pistol was it?

: The victim? Now, why would he have...

: "Why would he have a pistol?" Who cares?
: The point that you are missing is whose fingerprints are on that pistol.
: If you're not already paying attention to that, then I suggest you start.
: Fingerprints?
: There were fingerprints?
: Along with the victim's, the defendant, Maya Fey's were also on the grip, sir.

: Hmm.
: So the defendant's fingerprints were left on the murder weapon...
: (Hmm... I walked right into her hands there.)

: Point blank, huh? So about how far away was it?
: It was anywhere between 12 and 20 inches away.
: And how do you know he was shot at point blank?

: I grow tired of the foolish foolery of the foolish fools of this foolish country...
: E-Excuse me!?
: Gunpowder burn.
: ...Gunpowder burn?
: When something is shot from point blank, a burn area is left around the bullet hole.
: Gunpowder exploding is what makes a bullet fire, and that gets real hot, pal.
: And there were definitely some gunpowder burns left on the victim's forehead!
: (Wow... Never knew that... Live and learn, I guess...)

: Stabbed... And what was he stabbed with?

: I see. And whose knife was it?
: It looks like it belongs to the Feys, sir.
: And of course, Maya Fey's fingerprints are all over it.
: All over it, huh?
: (Urk. This does not look good...)
: Ha ha ha. What will you do now, Mr. Phoenix Wright?

: How severe was the wound?
: If it had been half an inch more to the right, it would've hit the victim's heart.
: After a stab like that, it's impossible to fight back, let alone stand.
: (This testimony makes Maya look like she stabbed him with the intent to kill...)

: Are you sure he was stabbed first, then shot?
: Yup. Sure as sure can be.
: One look at the wounds and you'd come to the same conclusion too, pal.
: A fool is a fool who will only listen to the foolish opinions of other foolish fools... A pistol shot to the forehead at point blank is certainly enough to kill instantly. Does it matter, then, which was first?
: Think a little more before you open that big mouth of yours, Mr. Phoenix Wright!
: (Grr... What a pain...)

: That's enough! We have clearly established how the victim was murdered.
: I brought the two murder weapons with me today.

: Very well. The court accepts them into evidence.

: The date and time of death was June 19th at 3:15 PM. Eyewitnesses claim to have heard two gunshots at this time.
: And the two murder weapons, both with the defendant's fingerprints on them...?
: This does seem like an open and shut case.

: Naturally!

: (This is going from bad to worse... As if the summary just now wasn't oversimplifying things to the extreme...)
: Your Honor. Feel free to slam that little gavel of yours. After all, there is no room left for doubt, is there?

: That is quite true...
: Mr. Wright.
: Y-Yes?
: Even in the face of all this, do you still wish to plead "not guilty"? It's the opinion of this court that if yu do not adjust your plea, you stand to lose.
: See, just as I promised, Mr. Phoenix Wright. You would change your plea in less than ten minutes...
: What will you do, Mr. Wright? Will you change to "justified self-defense"? Because now would be the time to do so.
: This is your final chance.

If you want to see how this goes if you decide to make the plea, check the next post. I'm trying this out at you guys' behest.

: (If we plead "justified self-defense", we would basically be confessing to murder!)
: (After the trial, Maya's life would be destroyed, and she'll be labeled a murderer...)

: Your Honor!
: Have you reached a conclusion, Mr. Wright?
: The defense will not change its plea.
: We will accept nothing short of complete acquittal!

: You have sealed your fate, Mr. Phoenix Wright. Detective!
: Y-Yes, sir!
: Present the final portion of your testimony -- the final strike.
: Um... Y-Yes... sir...
: N-Now, see here! Proceedings are run by...

: Oh, yes, of course. Go ahead Detective and give your testimony...
: I think the court would like to hear about the other piece of incriminating evidence!

: So this is the costume...
: There certainly is evidence of a back spray of blood on this.
: This piece directly links Maya Fey to the crime, sir.

: I see... The court accepts this into evidence.

: Alright, Mr. Wright.
: (Maya's fingerprints on both murder weapons and blood splatters on her clothes... Could this situation get any worse??)
: Hah. What's wrong? You seem to be at a loss.
: I think this is the last piece of testimony the prosecution should have to offer.
: Feel free to sulk off with your tail between your legs, Mr. Phoenix Wright!
: (Please stop calling me by my full name. It's disturbing.)

Next time: Cross-Examination.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 3, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Phoenix Wrong: Trial (Day 2, Part 1)

So what if we decided to change our plea?

: (If Maya is convicted, then it's all over. I really should play it safe, and try to soften the blow...)
: Your Honor. The defense would like to change its plea to "justified self-defense"...
: Hah.

: Understood. Let the record show that the defense has entered a new plea.
: (There's nothing else I could do...)

: (Mia...?)

: (If we plead "justified self-defense", we would basically be confessing to murder!)
: (After the trial, Maya's life would be destroyed, and she'll be labeled a murderer...)

: Your Honor!
: Y-Yes?
: The defense... The defense retracts its previous statement.
: And instead, will prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the defendant is not guilty!

And from here it continues as normal, with Franziska cracking her whip.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh Franziska, you foolish heir who foolishly dreams of a foolish revenge against the fool who foolishly dared to expose the truly foolish who had fooled an entire foolish country for fourty foolish years.

Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows?

(Franziska's great but she's no Edgeworth.)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Man, maybe it's because it's been ages but I don't recall Franziska being this intense. :stare: It says a lot about the powers of the prosecution (and her family name :v:) that she can whip pretty much everyone in court and no one would dare lift a finger. I sure hope that's just a toy whip or she's pulling her punches with that thing though.

Mors Rattus, I forgot to ask when I started posting in the thread, but what's your policy on speculation? Should I use spoiler tags on them or not?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spoiler tagged speculation is fine. I don't mind either way, but some folks prefer it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Franz is most certainly not using a toy whip, much to the chagrin of everyone involved.

That said, I do like the hint that the whip is just one way she's trying to establish herself in what seems to be a male dominated field.

That said, it really annoys me that Phoenix never bothers asking WHY The Franz believes the self-defense was justified.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Franz is most certainly not using a toy whip, much to the chagrin of everyone involved.

That said, I do like the hint that the whip is just one way she's trying to establish herself in what seems to be a male dominated field.

That said, it really annoys me that Phoenix never bothers asking WHY The Franz believes the self-defense was justified.

She just said that the victim carried his own pistol into a séance.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Oh Franny :allears:

I can't recall if this is the most boxed in Phoenix has ever been to start a case or if something down the road is worse

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

Oh Franny :allears:

I can't recall if this is the most boxed in Phoenix has ever been to start a case or if something down the road is worse

Just looking back at the first game, 1-4 is a strong contender.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

Just looking back at the first game, 1-4 is a strong contender.
Yeah, Manfred von Karma was effectively running the proceedings for much of the "final" case of the original. "Three minutes. This trial will be over in three minutes."

We're led to believe that in the second case of the original, Redd White owned the political system due to his extensive blackmail network, but that didn't really pan out very well. I guess the Judge doesn't have any skeletons in his closet.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Manfred von Karma was effectively running the proceedings for much of the "final" case of the original. "Three minutes. This trial will be over in three minutes."

We're led to believe that in the second case of the original, Redd White owned the political system due to his extensive blackmail network, but that didn't really pan out very well. I guess the Judge doesn't have any skeletons in his closet.

The Judge is either too honest and naive to be devious or is the most devious motherfucker in the series and it's just an act.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

McNally posted:

The Judge is either too honest and naive to be devious or is the most devious motherfucker in the series and it's just an act.

motherfuckers are talking poo poo about Uncle Phil again...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

McNally posted:

I assume that we'll find out in the inevitable case where the Judge himself gets put on trial. I mean, it has to happen eventually, in a series that's up to what, 5 games now?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, it has to happen eventually, in a series that's up to what, 5 games now?

Six main games, plus a crossover with Professor Layton, plus two Ace Attorney Investigations spinoffs, plus two Great Ace Attorney games featuring Phoenix Wright's Japanese ancestor hanging out with Sherlock Holmes. Investigations 2 and both Great Ace Attorney titles were never released outside of Japan, though.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
And here is where we start the serious prosecution allowances. It's one thing to have intense force of personality to verbally shove people into doing what you want, like old Von Karma, it's another to freely whip the judge, witness, and defense team.

I've come to think that Gregory Edgeworth is one of the greatest attorneys for getting Von Karma a penalty, not because it was the only official blemish on the latter's entire career, but because Gregory managed to get a judge to acknowledge in some way that a prosecutor should be punished for something they did.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ...Gunpowder burn?
: When something is shot from point blank, a burn area is left around the bullet hole.

That second one should be Franziska, I think.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

C. Everett Koop posted:

motherfuckers are talking poo poo about Uncle Phil again...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I actually found her to be one of the more annoying prosecutors. If only for the amount of hoops she makes you jump, and I never felt that she deserves it, just the story lets her get away with amateurish bullshit

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Franziska is super great, and she also injects more than the required dose of prosecutorial :smug: into the game. What more can you ask for?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Franziska is super great, and she also injects more than the required dose of prosecutorial :smug: into the game. What more can you ask for?

For one thing, I can ask for less genuine assault with a whip. Dear Old Dad would have had the same effect with an imperious glare... so I'm not particularly impressed so far.

By her, anyway- the case itself is pretty good, if this is how boxed in we are. Two murder weapons with prints and the bloody costume... about the only thing Phoenix has going for him is the fact that nobody saw it happen, and that's the angle he probably has to work.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The bullet hole in the sleeve of the jacket would indicate that the victim wasn't completely defenseless as well.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Cerebral Bore posted:

That she be Edgeworth. Though admittedly that level of smug, class, and style all warped up in same package really is hard to live up too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

cokerpilot posted:

That she be Edgeworth. Though admittedly that level of smug, class, and style all warped up in same package really is hard to live up too.

Two out of three ain't bad; it's just that the immediate lack of class here makes the style look like that of a rampaging barbarian.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hello Franziska :allears:

Now I can finally post this since it's no longer spoilers!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'd argue that Franziska is cool precisely because she combines the smugness of Edgeworth with the hardassery of Manfred.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Patter Song posted:

Six main games, plus a crossover with Professor Layton, plus two Ace Attorney Investigations spinoffs, plus two Great Ace Attorney games featuring Phoenix Wright's Japanese ancestor hanging out with Sherlock Holmes. Investigations 2 and both Great Ace Attorney titles were never released outside of Japan, though.

Investigations 2 has an excellent fan-made translation patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

The bullet hole in the sleeve of the jacket would indicate that the victim wasn't completely defenseless as well.

They also mentioned that there were two shots fired, so definitely something fishy going on. I assume the "second" shot is what made the hole in the sleep and the decorative screen.