Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Internet Explorer posted:

When you say upcoming sale, is that in anticipation if Fuji launching the new lenses? I have a handful of lenses on a watch list at camelcamelcamel and they do not seem to to on sale often. Would really love an excuse to pick up some of them.
http://www.fujirumors.com/%e2%96%b6%ef%b8%8e-hot-big-fujinon-xf-lens-deals-coming-mid-october-usa/

Upthread but this is the supposed sale. As to reasoning, who knows why exactly but sure that sounds like a good theory. Although Fujinon sales are rare overall it looks like you can see past discounts of at least $100USD depending on the lens.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thank you. Must have missed that one.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

It's not 40mm but I've got my eye on the XF 35mm F2 WR for this upcoming sale. Apparently the autofocus is something fast like 0.08 seconds. The price is already fairly reasonable, too.

I have that lens and it is fantastic. I have heard that all of the WR f2 lenses perform as well as the 35 and had a hard decision with the other two but ultimately chose the larger apertures for the other two lenses. I love the 35 though. That and the 18-55 were my first two Fuji lenses.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Had an a6000 a couple years back that got sold because I was poor and a sony lens was two months rent. Love the size and image quality, not so much the interface. What's the cool 2017 option in the "$450-500 sketchy ebay snipe" bracket?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
That much will get you a Fuji X-T1 body only. Grab a 35 or a 23 and get shooting.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

An older X100 would be in that price range if you like 35mm equivalent. They are still great cameras although I don't know the current market in terms of if the original or S version is that price currently.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the cheap system is m43, lol fuji people.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the cheap system is m43, lol fuji people.

True, now that used 18-55mm has gone up to around $300 it's hard to find a cheap XE1, XE2 bundle.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Fruit Chewy posted:

Had an a6000 a couple years back that got sold because I was poor and a sony lens was two months rent. Love the size and image quality, not so much the interface. What's the cool 2017 option in the "$450-500 sketchy ebay snipe" bracket?

You can get a used Olympus E-M10 for almost nothing and it still is a fantastic camera. For $500 you can probably get it with the kit lens and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 or even the Oly 25mm 1.8.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Fruit Chewy posted:

Mirrorless with a lens? Probably Panasonic.

Comedy option: Canon EOS M series. They're really cheap these days!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can think of three discontinued systems before I recommand EOSM.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
I just got an Olympus E-M10 and a Panasonic 12-32 for $512 pre-tax and it's loving amazing (and probably cheaper now that they've announced the mk3).

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Refurb EM-10ii with kit lens for $429 from Oly:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras/e-m10-mark-ii-silver-body-with-14-42mm-silver-ez-lens-reconditioned.html

I got the same but mark I last December. I love it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

whatever7 posted:

I can think of three discontinued systems before I recommand EOSM.

I thought the current model is finally not completely terrible?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blowfish posted:

I thought the current model is finally not completely terrible?

You still get way more lens option from Samsung NX and Nikon 1 systems.

If all you need is kit lens and/or travel lens, just get a Canon 1" sensor point and shoot.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My 12mm Samyang for my X-T20 arrived and because of work trips haven't been able to try it out. Going to Patagonia in November though so really plan to use it a lot.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

whatever7 posted:

You still get way more lens option from Samsung NX and Nikon 1 systems.

If all you need is kit lens and/or travel lens, just get a Canon 1" sensor point and shoot.

but it's compatible to all EF lenses~

*attaches 600/4 for lightweight birding*

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

but it's compatible to all EF lenses~

*attaches 600/4 for lightweight birding*

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2012/10/200-500setup.jpg

never gets old

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fruit Chewy posted:

I would like to ask the same question but I do tons of indoor natural light shooting/candids and am looking for the best low noise performance. Also don't care about video at all.

Still the Oly E-M10 or X-T1 or ???

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Syrinxx posted:

I would like to ask the same question but I do tons of indoor natural light shooting/candids and am looking for the best low noise performance. Also don't care about video at all.

Still the Oly E-M10 or X-T1 or ???

The Fuji X-T1 will crush the E-M10 in high ISO color and grain, the in body stabilization on the oly is great but not for candids of moving subjects. I have used an X-T1 up to 6400 to shoot weddings and had very little problem with the files it produced, the low light AF isn't quite as good as the current gen fuji cams but it's not too bad either try and get one or more of the fujicrons for this kind of work (23/35/50 whichever focal length you need).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That $60 refurb Olympus 40-150mm 4.0-5.6 is in stock again:
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-lenses/m-zuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f4-0-5-6-r-black-reconditioned.html

Missed out on it last time so just impulse bought when I saw it today :retrogames:. I saw it was like $100-150 new last time it was up so I was like eh, but now it’s (back up to?) $200, so it’s like I’m saving even more money by buying now! :downs:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

japtor posted:

That $60 refurb Olympus 40-150mm 4.0-5.6 is in stock again:
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-lenses/m-zuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f4-0-5-6-r-black-reconditioned.html

Missed out on it last time so just impulse bought when I saw it today :retrogames:. I saw it was like $100-150 new last time it was up so I was like eh, but now it’s (back up to?) $200, so it’s like I’m saving even more money by buying now! :downs:

I use this lens on a Panasonic body that doesn't have IBIS. If you're in a situation like mine, be prepared to only take pictures on sunny days or with a tripod. It's a fine lens, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't prepared for just how much shake you get at the long end without stabilization. Modern tech made me soft, I guess.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mirage posted:

I use this lens on a Panasonic body that doesn't have IBIS. If you're in a situation like mine, be prepared to only take pictures on sunny days or with a tripod. It's a fine lens, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't prepared for just how much shake you get at the long end without stabilization. Modern tech made me soft, I guess.
I have a Panasonic with IBIS :toot:

But yeah still I don’t expect to use it outside of bright or controlled conditions cause how slow it is. It’s mostly just for longer range coverage which I don’t have at all right now. My only lenses are the 20mm 1.7 and an old Canon FD 50mm 1.8 (I think) which I’ve yet to get the hang of. Can’t tell if that one is soft or I’m just not focusing right or have to stop it down a bit or what, but I haven’t tested it out too much.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
I regularly use an adapted Pentax DAL 55-300 with no stabilization of any kind. The weight helps, but forget shooting slower than 1/500 at the top end. One thing I do love about this particular lens is the feel of the mechanical focus ring. Much, much preferred to the focus-by-wire ring of a new Fuji XF.

And yes, stop down your 1.8 for sharpness, even one stop works wonders. I recently got a 1977 Nikon 50/1.4, and apart from the usual softness it apparently has something called bokeh aberration (?) fully open, which makes for dreamy pictures at 1.4. Nice if you want them like for portraits, but stop it down to f/2 and beyond and it's gone. Use focus peaking if you have it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have shakey hands and can use a an 80-200mm f/4.5 indoors on a non stabilized body, you people need to work on your technique.
(note that I did have to use ISO 128,000 and toss out several photos due to blur, but it was my only option)

Tsuru posted:

I recently got a 1977 Nikon 50/1.4, and apart from the usual softness it apparently has something called bokeh aberration (?) fully open, which makes for dreamy pictures at 1.4. Nice if you want them like for portraits, but stop it down to f/2 and beyond and it's gone. Use focus peaking if you have it.

No, it's the usual softness from shooting wide open it's just old lenses are usually bad wide open.They were designed for speed not resolution in a time when the lens only needed to outresolve mediocre film stock, and older coatings (with the exception of zeiss and pentax) were basically trash. Nikon didn't really get a handle on wide open spherical aberration on their fast glass until the late 80's and many of their AF lenses had chromatic aberration well into the mid 00's on digital bodies. note that the 80-200mm f/4.5 I use is a nonAI Nikon adapted to Fuji and it is hands down the best buy in older zooms, it's just the fast stuff that Nikon didn't care about.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Got a better than expected tradein on my old K-S2 body so I picked up my first mirrorless, an Olympus E-M10 II.

First impressions are pretty good, the controls seem easy to use and offer a lot of ways to customize, the size is great compared to my K-70 which weighs approximately as much as a boat anchor, and the silver/black styling is :swoon:. A couple of test shots resulted in some fairly poor looking out of the camera ORF/RAW files but man there was a lot of lovely data that was easily recovered and fixed in LR. I like that the files have embedded camera profiles as well. Performance with the kit lens at 1600 and 3200 ISO was a pleasant surprise and I'm looking forward to putting a couple fast primes on it.

Speaking of which, what are the dorkroom recommended primes in M43 that aren't super high cost? My previous favorite affordable prime was a Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8. I also noticed the auto ISO never wanted to go above 1600, is there a way to set the hi and low limits for auto? (e: I found it in one of the five thousand menus) Any other cool tricks to know about this body or the Oly system?

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 10, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Got a better than expected tradein on my old K-S2 body so I picked up my first mirrorless, an Olympus E-M10 II.

First impressions are pretty good, the controls seem easy to use and offer a lot of ways to customize, the size is great compared to my K-70 which weighs approximately as much as a boat anchor, and the silver/black styling is :swoon:. A couple of test shots resulted in some fairly poor looking out of the camera ORF/RAW files but man there was a lot of lovely data that was easily recovered and fixed in LR. I like that the files have embedded camera profiles as well. Performance with the kit lens at 1600 and 3200 ISO was a pleasant surprise and I'm looking forward to putting a couple fast primes on it.

Speaking of which, what are the dorkroom recommended primes in M43 that aren't super high cost? My previous favorite affordable prime was a Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8. I also noticed the auto ISO never wanted to go above 1600, is there a way to set the hi and low limits for auto? (e: I found it in one of the five thousand menus) Any other cool tricks to know about this body or the Oly system?

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake is fantastic. Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro is probably my favorite lens that I've used for the system.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake is fantastic. Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro is probably my favorite lens that I've used for the system.

These are great starts. The 45mm f/1.8 is a great small portrait prime too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm a big fan of the Olympus 17mm and the Panasonic 14mm as well.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins posted:

http://www.fujirumors.com/%e2%96%b6%ef%b8%8e-hot-big-fujinon-xf-lens-deals-coming-mid-october-usa/

Upthread but this is the supposed sale. As to reasoning, who knows why exactly but sure that sounds like a good theory. Although Fujinon sales are rare overall it looks like you can see past discounts of at least $100USD depending on the lens.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Update to this: FR is suggesting that the deals would start October 15 at 12:01 EST, for the USA. Canada is instead Oct. 13, presumably also at 12:01 EST.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The Panasonic 25mm 1.7 has been great for me, and it has the advantage of being $150

I really want to get the Olympus 60mm macro next

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love my Olympus 25 mm 1.8. Costs a bit more than the Pana version but it's optical and AF performance seems to be a bit more consistent from what I hear. And it looks amazing if you get the silver lens on silver body.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

To add to the 60mm macro echo chamber, I love that a macro lens that easily fits in a pocket is essentially equal to the Canon 100L I used to lug around. Light overcast skies at 1:1 is legitimately usable handheld without a flash.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Has anyone tried the wireless tethering option on the X-T2? From some reviews I've seen it looks to be very slow. But then I've seen some bits where if you have your target capture device set up an ad-hoc network and you connect the camera to that instead it tends to be a lot faster. Though I was hoping to hear from goons who've actually tried it out or maybe found other solutions (like one I found here). I emailed the support group at Tether Tools to inquire if their Case Air option had absolutely any support for Fuji and at the moment they don't.

I'm looking at options that would work well for on location shoots. Plus I tend to move around a lot when I shoot so being attached to a cable is a less than desirable option for me. So I'm just trying to figure out what opportunities might be out there for me.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

ReverendHammer posted:

Has anyone tried the wireless tethering option on the X-T2? From some reviews I've seen it looks to be very slow. But then I've seen some bits where if you have your target capture device set up an ad-hoc network and you connect the camera to that instead it tends to be a lot faster. Though I was hoping to hear from goons who've actually tried it out or maybe found other solutions (like one I found here). I emailed the support group at Tether Tools to inquire if their Case Air option had absolutely any support for Fuji and at the moment they don't.

I'm looking at options that would work well for on location shoots. Plus I tend to move around a lot when I shoot so being attached to a cable is a less than desirable option for me. So I'm just trying to figure out what opportunities might be out there for me.

In my experience it's been pretty unstable, though it does work. I shoot RAW+JPG and I've read that it's one possible reason for the slowdown during the transfer process. I still haven't wasted the time to shoot JPG only and try transferring selects.

Anyway, the app does work, just not reliably. Sometimes it fails to connect (at least with my Android phone) and the process has to be restarted 2-3 times before it connects and stays connected. Sometimes it's pretty snappy, sometimes it takes a minute before finding the phone. I've pretty much given up on using it unless I really need to send a preview to someone, which is unfortunate because it was one of the bigger selling points to me.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 11, 2017

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I love my X-T20, really love it. However, since my eyes recently went crazy and I had to start wearing glasses (might be clearing up!!!!) I have noticed the downside to having a much smaller viewfinder (compared to the X-T1 I had for a little bit).

Is it crazy to look at getting an X-T2 just for that at this point and parting with the X-T20? For once this isn't my "I just want something different" .. are other eyeglass wearers okay with the X-T20 or do they have issues as well?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I love my X-T20, really love it. However, since my eyes recently went crazy and I had to start wearing glasses (might be clearing up!!!!) I have noticed the downside to having a much smaller viewfinder (compared to the X-T1 I had for a little bit).

Is it crazy to look at getting an X-T2 just for that at this point and parting with the X-T20? For once this isn't my "I just want something different" .. are other eyeglass wearers okay with the X-T20 or do they have issues as well?
I wear glasses, but my prescription isn't that strong (-1.5 both eyes) so I haven't had any issue put the finder up to my glassed face or else adjusting the finder manually to my "prescription" for when I don't feel like having glasses on.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Kenny Logins posted:

I wear glasses, but my prescription isn't that strong (-1.5 both eyes) so I haven't had any issue put the finder up to my glassed face or else adjusting the finder manually to my "prescription" for when I don't feel like having glasses on.

Sounds like were in similar boats there. My eyes fluctuate a little due to the problem I suddenly developed (yay dry eye sucks really bad). I am it continues to clear up so I'll hold off for awhile and see how it goes.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ReverendHammer posted:

I use the wireless on the X-T2 all the time. I don't like to use it for anything more complcated than sending smallish jpgs to the phone for instagram. Using X-Acquire to send raws to a laptop takes about 10 seconds per image, with hot folder set up in Capture One it takes a total of around 15 seconds to see the raw photo imported. It's not particularly feasible for high volume shooting, but it's a neat trick. Even large JPG's are about 5-8 seconds.

You're also limited by the wifi distance, More than like 25 feet and you have to restart the entire connection process, IIRC. It might have a setting where it auto-reconnects and downloads everything, so it should be fine if you set it to keep a local copy of a picture on the card. Which I would do regardless, even with a wired tether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
The Oly 45/1.8 seems awesome. Any reason not to get it? (I have an EM-10 mk 1)