Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For Queek I like to use Stormvermin and Clanrats as the baseline to tine the enemies up. While Warp Lightning Cannons and Warpfire throwers blast the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
Started a Dark Elf campaign - Is it possible to remove taxes on a province? Didn't see it in the interface, and I guess it would make thematic sense if I couldn't.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zone of Danger posted:

Started a Dark Elf campaign - Is it possible to remove taxes on a province? Didn't see it in the interface, and I guess it would make thematic sense if I couldn't.

There's a checkbox on the lower right hand side with the city information.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

There's a checkbox on the lower right hand side with the city information.

In a different part of the UI from the scroll with Growth/Slaves/Corruption?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
as far as I know you can not stop taxing dark elf cities

but that is ok, your money is run off of slaves and any rebellions are just slave deliveries

Also get slaver's point asap and turn it into a super slave spot

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yukitsu posted:

Then they still might have to fight a star dragon. :boom:

That and if you don't take air vs. high elves it's kind of easy to miss that they didn't take it since it means they can't cast tempest anyway and all high elves seem to take high magic since apotheosis works really well with their comps and unforging is required against some lords like Malekith, Mazdamundi and Skrolk.

Wait, unforging actually does something? Is it based on them having magic items or something? The tooltip doesn't say anything to that effect, it just describes it as a single-target nuke like soul leech, except any time I've cast it it's only taken off 1 or 2 pixels of health bar.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
To spice things up, in my current Tyrion game I decided to ignore the rituals an have Tyrion banished from Ulthuan.

I spent the first 10 turns recruiting a hero, 9 bows and 9 spears. Then I demolished the buildings in his starting city and set sail for the southlands.

Picking up some treasure on the way quickly found myself in the gulf of Medes in central Southlands. There is a "Elven Ruins" sire there I could colonize, but its climate was red to me, so we kept sailing. I saved the game as the cult of Excess sieged my starting city.

I little further into the gulf we landed and trespassed on Tlaqua's land. Just north of that are 2 decent climate ruins, but with 100% vampire corruption I found those to hard to hold and did not offer the powerbase I desired. I reloaded the save.

This time I kept travelling east through Tlaqua's land and found some wood elves. Their Magic Forest province wasn't the best for High elves to live in, but it was a 10 building city. And the only city in the province. A short battle later and I found myself on turn 23 in a psuedo wood elf start.

From there I conquered the southern southlands. Croq'gar and the local dwarves quickly allied me while we cleansed the southlands of Skaven.

I have so far ignored the vampires to the north and I'm thinking of wiping out Pestilens on the other side of the pond.

I also reloaded the save and kept sailing to Tor Elasor instead of colonising the Southlands. Easy conquest, I took a minor city, went into amush stance and took out the main army when it turned up. I found Tor Elasor to be a very powerful location to take on both the Last Defenders and the Skaven. The wood elf start was more interesting.

In both I was way behind Rituals in both campaigns but I figure I can just wipe out the factions doing rituals.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Deified Data posted:

Can someone tell me exactly how the geomantic web works? Do you need that pylon building in every province you want higher than level 2?

Bottom right on the main screen is a button to see the geomantic web, take the ringed buildings and it gives you bonuses for things like your province controls, like taxes/public order etc the more you control the better they work.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, unforging actually does something? Is it based on them having magic items or something? The tooltip doesn't say anything to that effect, it just describes it as a single-target nuke like soul leech, except any time I've cast it it's only taken off 1 or 2 pixels of health bar.

Arcane unforging is pretty much spirit leech that also puts enemy abilities on cooldown. It does about 600-900 damage per cast in testing.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Underground, Overground, Skaven are we...
:discourse:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ZombyDog posted:

Underground, Overground, Skaven are we...
:discourse:

uncle bulgaria confirmed as new skaven LL

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

If you told me a cutscene from this game would leave me screaming "Yes! YEESSSS!!!" like a loving supervillain I wouldn't have believed you, but that penultimate Skaven cutscene was pretty much perfect. Between Skaven did 9/11 everything and Nerdrat embracing his inner Skaven and taking out a member of the Council it was everything I hoped for, and so much more. I was already a pretty big Skaven fan before this game came out, but it definitely cemented them as my favorite.

Every single thing about the Skaven in this game is just :discourse:

They pretty much nailed all four factions' personalities.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
Are there any mods that disable the ritual or like decrease the income of ritual currency to nothing? Anything that will practically disable the ritual so I can go ham on the map. I just finished my High Elves campaign and all the cutscenes, so now I just feel like I don't wanna play the vortex campaign ever again mostly because of those random spawns that destroy all your settlements and are ignored by everyone else. Even if I don't do the rituals that still means the others will and they'll have those chaos spawns when they should be fighting each other.

TLDR: Mod that disables the Vortex in any way?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Hilarious thing as Mazdamundi:

I initially allied the new world colonists, and made an early coordination against Sildra Tor with them taking the province (after I sacked it a couple of times). They are now happily, with an occassional assist by me, blobbing in Naggaroth.

Also, Skinks are suprisingly good. My colonising force consisting of a Saurus oldblood with the better Skink skills is murdering tons of wild orcs.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm in the early game of a Kroq-Gar campaign and my priest picked up a weapon that gives all Skaven in any battle -8 leadership. All of these rats break the instant they come into contact with my Saurus. It's kind of hilarious but it's also pretty annoying since I never get any meaty engagements where I can actually kill anything; just 2 seconds of combat->route->rally->repeat in a near-endless cycle. I wonder if you could get an entire Skaven army to route immediately after deployment by stacking a few of these weapons on your lord and heroes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
So I tried Queek again with my clanrats + plague catapults strategy while adding additional warlords raiding my own provinces with skaven slaves.

I really like the extra warlords, not only do they help a bit with food but they also make you a lot less vulnerable from another faction attacking you while Queek is out conquering the north. They also funnel free XP to Queek! Their only drawback is that the mount option is pretty loud and annoying on the strategic map.

I hosed up against Kroq-Gar though. Last time I prioritized unlocking the clan rat technologies and built their building ASAP. This time I forgot about that requirement and didn't get it set up until much, much later. I also auto resolved a couple of fights I shouldn't have and ended up losing even more momentum.

My catapult strategy doesn't work nearly as well once Kroq-Gar gets his carnosaur. He also becomes a lot harder to duel. I ended up cheesing it by attacking him, bombarding his army with catapults until things started to look dire, and then conceding while his casualties were still much higher than mine to wear him down over the course of two turns.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i figured out how to befriend people

the key is 6 skink priests stealing tech from the dark elves every turn and totally ignoring the ritual

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Just wanted to drop by and share that an army of nothing but huge dinosaurs is fun as gently caress. That is all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Jum-Jum posted:

Are there any mods that disable the ritual or like decrease the income of ritual currency to nothing? Anything that will practically disable the ritual so I can go ham on the map. I just finished my High Elves campaign and all the cutscenes, so now I just feel like I don't wanna play the vortex campaign ever again mostly because of those random spawns that destroy all your settlements and are ignored by everyone else. Even if I don't do the rituals that still means the others will and they'll have those chaos spawns when they should be fighting each other.

TLDR: Mod that disables the Vortex in any way?

Wait for mortal empires.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Just wanted to drop by and share that an army of nothing but huge dinosaurs is fun as gently caress. That is all.
I decided to use Malekith as a roving WMD and had him go sack Ulthuan and then sail over to the lizard lands. The first battle I met my full stack of mixed infantry/ranged units ran into had something like 10 of the stegadons and bastiladons just running at me, with some Carnasaurs to boot. Thank god for Okkam's Mindrazor overcast on some Black Guard, that's all I'll say.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Having beaten the game with the High Elves by doing the rituals I'm doing Krok'gar fun this time and am just going to be smooshing the collective face in of the major enemy empires instead of doing the ritual. Then I figure I'll alternate doing and not doing it till Mortal Empires turns up. At that point I have to decide which shade of green I want to paint the map, because conquering the entire map with Wood Elves with all the troop buffing outposts sounds kind of hilarious to be honest.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

A "close victory" :psyduck:

Autoresolve had it at 50/50

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

TheLastRoboKy posted:

conquering the entire map with Wood Elves with all the troop buffing outposts sounds kind of hilarious to be honest.

This is my plan also. I wonder if the Asrai get the High/Dark magic lores as well. I think they had it in tabletop.

@Wafflecopper, I'm not sure what happened there. The Victory type is determinied by comparing Starting army HP with Lost HP for both sides.
You want your army to have far less total HP than the opponent AND they need to lose a lot more HP than you.

Try it out in quick battle. Go have some Swordmasters and casters blender up a ton of skavenslaves. It's hard to say where the breakpoints are for the Victory types.

Edit: Looking closer, that Hero and dragon added a lot of HP to your army. It may be that the total HP for both armies was roughly the same.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 3, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah, it's kind of buggy this time around. I actually think it might be some anti-cheese mechanic if you do too well against normal odds - I fought a battle against an army plus settlement reinforcements that was slightly skewed in their favor in autoresolve, got beat up pretty bad and got heroic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

So I tried Queek again with my clanrats + plague catapults strategy while adding additional warlords raiding my own provinces with skaven slaves.

I really like the extra warlords, not only do they help a bit with food but they also make you a lot less vulnerable from another faction attacking you while Queek is out conquering the north. They also funnel free XP to Queek! Their only drawback is that the mount option is pretty loud and annoying on the strategic map.

I hosed up against Kroq-Gar though. Last time I prioritized unlocking the clan rat technologies and built their building ASAP. This time I forgot about that requirement and didn't get it set up until much, much later. I also auto resolved a couple of fights I shouldn't have and ended up losing even more momentum.

My catapult strategy doesn't work nearly as well once Kroq-Gar gets his carnosaur. He also becomes a lot harder to duel. I ended up cheesing it by attacking him, bombarding his army with catapults until things started to look dire, and then conceding while his casualties were still much higher than mine to wear him down over the course of two turns.

Yeah, this is why I figured Warp Lightning Cannons would be better than Plagueclaw catapults, at least once you get past Tier 3. Being able to plow through Saurus swarms as well as kill large units, of which the Lizardmen have plenty of, was the main advantage in them I thought.

I suppose you should take some Poison Wind Globadiers with you for the big guys in the meantime.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Am I correct in thinking that Morathi will never Confederate with me as Malekith? Is that also true for every other races playable counterpart as well?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Bramble posted:

Am I correct in thinking that Morathi will never Confederate with me as Malekith? Is that also true for every other races playable counterpart as well?

No, I've confederated Tyrion as Teclis. Cost me 60 grand, but well worth it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Bramble posted:

it's possible but i'd be careful in that specific circumstance - morathi normally has a mechanic that makes her like chaos corruption and buildings to spread it but if malekith confederates her she loses the buffs that make chaos corruption not gently caress her but still has the stuff that spreads it

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

tarbrush posted:

No, I've confederated Tyrion as Teclis. Cost me 60 grand, but well worth it.

The very first time I contacted Teclis as Tyrion, he went "Oh. It's you" and I was like "Well gently caress you too, you milquetoast-looking moon-staffed-toting potion-chugging weiner-baby" and then set up a trade agreement and let him do his own thing for the rest of the campaign. Which turned out to be "simultaneously destroy both the Lizardmen and the Dark Elves attempts to complete the final ritual" so you win this round Saphery-boy but next time it's a noogie.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wafflecopper posted:

High elves are such bullshit but it is pretty fun to watch enemy armies get shot to bits trying to get to you.

I usually go something like

code:
     SG SG SG SG SG

SG SG SG SG SG

SM  A  EC  A   EC   A  SM

SH         L           SH
SG - Lothern Sea Guard with shields
SM - Sword Masters
A - Archers (light armor)
EC - Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
SH - Silver Helms
L - Lord

Most armies take hundreds of casualties and are already starting to chain rout before they even hit the first line of Sea Guard, almost none make it to the second line unless I'm insanely outnumbered. You can really swap the sword masters/silverhelms with whatever, I use them to defend from quick flankers basically.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

President Ark posted:

it's possible but i'd be careful in that specific circumstance - morathi normally has a mechanic that makes her like chaos corruption and buildings to spread it but if malekith confederates her she loses the buffs that make chaos corruption not gently caress her but still has the stuff that spreads it

Her home district also has the unique building that reduces the penalty for corruption/lack thereof by 90% at settlement level 5, if she has that confederate away because at most your 0 corruption provinces would be adding an extra what, 2 public order?

Speaking of... Is the mod that disables the public order difficulty modifiers for yourself and PO cheats for the AI out yet? The latter is basically required if you want to use Morathi's corruption against her war targets.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Bramble posted:

No I confederated with them at about turn 10. Just give them a little money each turn and get every treaty with them you possibly can.

Speaking of witch, is Morathi supposed to be able to over cast Pit of Shades? Because I can't on my game.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

President Ark posted:

Yeah, I noticed she did that and it certainly would have sucked. Mostly I wanted Vaul's Anvil without going to war over it.

At this point it's fine and she's my strong southern ally while I raid the sea's and eat the HE's lunch. I'm 17 turns away from completing the final ritual and am having a blast defending against 5 stacks of Skaven to the west as they waste themselves against my walled settlements.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Speaking of sea raiding, here's a tip most of you probably already know:. It's %110 worth it to stick a Lord on a boat and have them wander the oceans looking for bloated Leviathan corpses (2500g + 1500xp, or 5000g) and ESPECIALLY Skull Reefs (10,000g + magic item). It's such an easy and useful jumpstart to your economy. The other things you can find out there, like wreckage and mysterious islands, have bonuses more geared towards campaigning armies than roaming solo lords.

Even better, they respawn in different places within the same ocean zone after 10-15 turns!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Bramble posted:

Speaking of sea raiding, here's a tip most of you probably already know:. It's %110 worth it to stick a Lord on a boat and have them wander the oceans looking for bloated Leviathan corpses (2500g + 1500xp, or 5000g) and ESPECIALLY Skull Reefs (10,000g + magic item). It's such an easy and useful jumpstart to your economy. The other things you can find out there, like wreckage and mysterious islands, have bonuses more geared towards campaigning armies than roaming solo lords.

Even better, they respawn in different places within the same ocean zone after 10-15 turns!

I have 2-3 lords roaming at all times. It's basically the only way I can keep my economy afloat considering how expansion heavy I am.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
How do you deploy agents in this one? Or do they do things automatically now?
Sorry if this has been mentioned before there's a lot of text in here.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Do Temple Guards count as Saurus for the purposes of tech/buffs or are they considered their own thing?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

numptyboy posted:

I think agents do their deploy thing automatically by being outside an army, not 100% on that though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

numptyboy posted:

Agent deploys are now passive background effects. You can see their ranks and effects on their unit cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Pierson posted:

Do Temple Guards count as Saurus for the purposes of tech/buffs or are they considered their own thing?

they have their own buffs in lord red lines/the tech tree